Wizardworld Philly 06: DC Nation panel

BrianWilly

Disciple of Whedon
Reaction score
From http://www.newsarama.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72571

WIZARDWORLD PHILADELPHIA 06: DC NATION

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hosted by a caffeine-fueled Dan Didio, DC’s “DC Nation” panel wrapped up the panel programming for WizardWorld: Philadelphia’s first day with insights into the post-Crisis DC Universe. Joining Didio were Geoff Johns, VP Sales Bob Wayne, 52 Assistant Editor Jann Jones.

The panel began with Didio’s description of his goals of the panel, to have an interactive forum between DC and fans, a place where questions for DC panelists came with a cost – the panelist was able to ask a question back. Additionally, Didio’s larger goal was also mentioned – to give away 500,000 “DC Nation” buttons away. Those wearing the buttons on the floor at San Diego will be given free goodies from DC during that show.

Johns was in town, Didio explained, to help put the finishing touches on the script to 52 #26, the halfway point of the series.

Before opening the floor for questions, Didio talked about the plan to bring Manhunter back for five additional issues, saying, “A funny thing happened on the way to cancellation…” Didio reiterated hat he’d previously told Newsarama, that the series is coming back for another arc due to fans writing in and pleading that DC not cancel the series. The series will run to at least #30, Didio said, as a demonstration that “we’re listening.”

Asked to clear up the body of Luthor as seen in 52 #3, Johns confirmed that it is in fact Alex Luthor, and Lex Luthor altered the body slightly to make it appear as if what he was saying about an imposter was true.

As if Jason Todd was really alive simply because Superboy-Prime punched a wall, the answer was a simple, “yes.”

In talking about the new Batwoman, Didio said that for now, DC is working to make her a supporting member of the Bat-Family, but if fans want to see her in her own series or miniseries, they’ll make it happen.

Scott McDaniel will be on Green Arrow for the long haul, Didio confirmed, in response to a question, indicating that the artist will not be going anywhere soon.

The September-launching Mystery in Space was announced, an eight issue miniseries written by Jim Starlin with art by Shane Davis. The mini will star Captain Comet, as well as The Weird, who will be featured in back-up stories to the main story, written and drawn by Starlin.

Asked if there were any plans for the New Gods, Didio, whose answer in the past has been a simple, “Look to the skies,” this time, in response, merely pointed up. He then rhetorically noted asked if it wasn’t strange that the New Gods didn’t appear in Infinite Crisis. “Isn’t that strange?” he concluded, answering his own question.

Supergirl’s appearance in the Legion of Super-Heroes has helped the book’s sales, with Wayne noting that the series is now the best-selling of all of DC’s 1,001 Year Later titles.

When each panelist was asked who they would have killed, if given their druthers, as part of Infinite Crisis, Johns declined to answer; however, Didio, after discussion, said, “I wanted Nightwing dead,” and explained that, if you follow the Nightwing story through the miniseries, you can see fairly clearly that he was supposed to die. Bob Wayne’s response to the question – “Speedball.”

Johns clarified that the previously announced “Titans East” project he was said to be working on is a storyline in Teen Titans rather than a new series or miniseries. Also, speaking of Titans, Johns said that Wendy and Marvin will continue to appear, albeit sporadically in the series.

Conner Hawke will get his own title later this year, a miniseries by Chuck Dixon and Daimon Scott, due out in fall.

Asked by a female fan why there aren’t more light-hearted titles in the DCU such as Impulse or Young Justice, in a broad reply, Didio said that they’ve found that people respond better to angst, noting that Kyle Baker’s Plastic Man was a title that was light hearted, and pointed to often when DC was asked why it didn’t publish light hearted books, and in the end, no one bought it. Didio later added that he doesn’t want to sacrifice characters for a joke, and prefers it when humor comes from within a character, rather than applied on them from outside. He also named Blue Beetle as one of DC’s current books with a lighter tone.

Asked if there will be any more touches of Batman Beyond in the modern DCU, Didio’s answer was a quick “yes,” which was also his answer when asked if readers will see the characters from Seven Soldiers after the conclusion of the miniseries.
"Conner Hawke will get his own title later this year, a miniseries by Chuck Dixon and Daimon Scott, due out in fall."

Great f**k!

:D:D:D

I'm excited for Connor's mini, but I'm also hoping that I can understand anything that's going on in Daimon Scott's pencils.

good to see the extention of the manhunter title, hopefully people get behind this title and keep it around for even longer.

More...
http://www.newsarama.com/WWPhilly06/DC/DCUPanel.html
WW PHILADELPHIA: DCU PANEL
Moderated by DC's VP - Sales, Bob Wayne, the DCU panel was made up of Executive Editor Dan Didio, Shane Davis, Rags Morales, Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Gray, Andy Kubert and Adam Kubert. Wayne began the panel by showing the third trailer for Superman Returns, which was met by applause from the audience.

Moving into the slide show, Wayne started off talking about 52, showing the cover to issue #18, featuring Dr. Fate. When asked for a comment about the series, Didio advised the audience that issues #5 and #6 are where the story really takes off and starts running. Issue #5 deals with the direct ramifications of the return of some of the space heroes, as shown on the last page of #4.

Newsarama Note: The bulk of the slides and information featured in DC's slide show focused on August-shipping issues of their titles, and as such, information can be found in DC's August Solicitations. As always, if you don't see your favorite series or character mentioned here, it doesn't mean that they weren't or that the series is cancelled - just that what was mentioned in the panel repeats information Newsarama readers already know..

Moving to Justice League of America, the upcoming #0 issue was described as a "bridge" between Infinite Crisis #7 and JLA #1. Written by Brad Meltzer, Didio called the issue one of the most interested JLA stories he's ever read. The story examines the relationship between the "big three" - Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, as seen through the eyes of various artists, and takes place in the past, present, and future. In many ways, Didio explained, the issue answers the question of whether or not there should be a Justice League in the DCU, as, in his eyes, the Justice League is what the DC Universe is all about.

The first few issues of the series are a recruitment drive, so DC isn't about to be giving out the membership list soon, and Wayne, with his typical dry wit, added that the first issue did something he never thought was possible - made him care about Red Tornado.

The October relaunch of Justice Society was mentioned, with a slide of the first issue's cover, an homage to the cover of All-Star Squadron #1. The series will feature new characters, Didio said.

Click here for Newsarama's conversation with Alex Ross and Dan Didio about the return of Justice Society of America.

Asked who the new Flash will be when the new issue #1 hits later this month, Didio said, "Barry is not coming back, move on" in a joking manner.

Thought not mentioned in connection to any specific project, Batwoman was mentioned several times throughout the panel, with Wayne joking that Didio had been confused when he spoke with the press, and meant to say that the new Kate Kane character is Lebanese. Later, when the character came up again, Didio reiterated his earlier statements that Batwoman's sexuality is part of the character, but her stories will not be all about her sexual orientation. "She's a super-hero that's lesbian," Didio said, "She's not a lesbian super-hero."

Wayne noted, as an aside, Palmiotti's quote in the New York Daily News that the character doesn't have super lesbian powers. After riffing on the joke, Palmiotti added that maybe she does, and she can "turn your girlfriend into a lesbian."

Showing a slide of OMAC, and talking about the upcoming eight issue miniseries written by Bruce Jones and drawn by Renato Guedes, Didio said that Jones will be taking OMAC back to the original concept, that is of "One Man Army Corps," and as such, the series features the last OMAC.

In speaking about Jonah Hex, Palmiotti and Gray mentioned that David Michael Beck will illustrate issue #11, and El Diablo will appear in the issue as well. An upcoming three-part arc will be illustrated by Jordi Bernet, which will tell the origin of Jonah Hex, and explain how he got his distinctive (and mildly stomach upsetting) scar.

Reiterating yesterday's announcement, Jim Starlin will write, with Shane Davis illustrating, an eight issue Mystery in Space miniseries, featuring a new Captain Comet, and the Starlin creation, The Weird, in backup stories. Didio said that the mini spins out of 52. Davis added that it's a "crime-noir space mystery." The lead Captain Comet story will tie in to The Weird backup story.

October will see the return of Omega Men as a six issue miniseries by Anderson Gabrych and Henry Flint. The storyline will follow events from Rann-Thanagar War and 52, as the team of losers fights the Spider Guild from capturing a new source of powers that has the potential to destroy entire universes.

Reconfirming what has been said earlier, Andy Kubert said that his and Grant Morrison's upcoming "Batman and Son" in Batman will be tied to the Mike Barr/Jerry Bingham Son of the Demon graphic novel.

It was also reiterated that "Titans East" will be a backup in the regular Teen Titans series, not its own series or miniseries. If fans demand it, Didio added, they will get their own title.

Didio also mentioned that in comics developments, J'onn J'onzz learns that he may not be the only surviving green Martian.

There is a plan in regards to the future of Superboy Prime, Didio said.

Details of Bruce Wayne, Dick Grayson and Tim Drake's journey will be shown in 52 as well as be touched upon in their own titles.

It was again explained that Nightwing was originally intended to die in Infinite Crisis, and that you can see the arc that was supposed to end with his death in the series. After long discussions, the death edict was reversed, but the decision was made that, if they're keeping him, he would have to be changed. The next arc of the ongoing series will further explain the changes, it was said.

Asked about the legacy of Earth-2 as the characters may have gotten the short shrift thanks to Infinite Crisis, Didio said that the legacy of those characters lives through Power Girl now, which makes her a unique character, and not a clone of Supergirl.

Plans regarding Static making an entry into the DCU have been discussed, but there's nothing to be announced at this time, given discussions were only initial, and there are legal issues surrounding the character moving into the DCU. Didio added that there are many characters from the Milestone Universe that he liked.

There definite plans for more All-Star titles, it was said, playing to one of Didio's recent "DC Nation" column wherein he commented that Geoff Johns and Phil Jiminez had an idea that they were working on.

Asked about the status of Hawk and Dove, Didio said that the two are characters he hasn't gotten to yet.

And finally, Didio said that he has spoken with James Robinson about the future of Starman, but nothing is definite.

I can't believe they were going to kill of Nightwing. Makes sense why his character has basically gone no where OYL. There was no preperation for the jump. Still.... they were going to kill him off with the crappiness that was Grayson's run? Ew.

I don't understand the impetus for it. I wish someone would explain why he had to be changed. He's a perfectly good character as he was. :confused:

Titans east is a backup? good idea

People theorized for months that Nightwing would die. Looks like they were both right and wrong.

Personally, I'm glad they didn't kill Nightwing. To me, Dick Grayson is just as iconic as Wonder Woman and Batman. His death would have felt wrong, and worse...like an obvious ploy for mainstream press coverage, and a completely meaningless death because like Superman, you KNOW they wouldn't let Dick Grayson stay dead for long.

And considering the appeal of Dick Grayson is that he is a superhero without superpowers, any supernatural or science fictiony explanations for his resurrection would dilute the character, make him less extraordinary somehow.

Batman said:
People theorized for months that Nightwing would die. Looks like they were both right and wrong.

Personally, I'm glad they didn't kill Nightwing. To me, Dick Grayson is just as iconic as Wonder Woman and Batman. His death would have felt wrong, and worse...like an obvious ploy for mainstream press coverage, and a completely meaningless death because like Superman, you KNOW they wouldn't let Dick Grayson stay dead for long.

And considering the appeal of Dick Grayson is that he is a superhero without superpowers, any supernatural or science fictiony explanations for his resurrection would dilute the character, make him less extraordinary somehow.

:up: :up: :up: :up: :up:

No if only his book were written by someone else today....

The Spirit said:
No if only his book were written by someone else today....

As for now, I'm not even bothering with his current arc. Hopefully it'll soon pick up with future issues.

Asked if there will be any more touches of Batman Beyond in the modern DCU, Didio’s answer was a quick “yes,” which was also his answer when asked if readers will see the characters from Seven Soldiers after the conclusion of the miniseries.

Am I the only person who didn't like Batman Beyond and does not want its influence in the DCU?

i'm glad they didn't kill of dick, behind Batman he is m,y fav comic book charcter. hopefully the change in creative team lifts the book, because the current arc really isn't great.

Batman and Son is going to kick all kinds of ass. :up:
Also good to know that 52 is going to heat up soon. It started about halfway through issue 4, and I'd like to see that momentum continue to build.
It's gonna be cool to see Meltzer's take on the JLA :up:

Fledermaus said:
Am I the only person who didn't like Batman Beyond and does not want its influence in the DCU?
No. You're not. Truth be told, I actually did manage to enjoy BB on occasion, but only if I stood back and looked at it as Generic Superhero Beyond. I just couldn't picture Bruce going the route he did in that series, among some of the other things later episodes implied. I hated what happened to Tim in RotJ, and the way the Justice League, and Superman in particular (possessed by a Starro lookalike for years :rolleyes:), were characterized just bothered me. But of course, that's just me.

I liked Batman Beyond a lot. I thought Return of the Joker was the best animated DC movie short of Mask of the Phantasm, too. Even though I'm a huge Tim Drake fan and wasn't too pleased at what happened to him, I thought it was executed as well as it could be, and the rest of the movie was excellent. I wouldn't mind a few more nods to Batman Beyond in the comics, though I wouldn't really like to see that become the official future of the DC universe or anything.

The Joker tortures him until he turns against Batman, then Batman rescues him and Tim kills the Joker, but we learn later that the Joker had left some kind of technology that downloaded his personality into Tim's brain. Tim started physically turning into the Joker and Terry had to stop him. He doesn't die at the end of it all, though. He goes back to his normal life, free of the Joker.

TheCorpulent1 said:
The Joker tortures him until he turns against Batman, then Batman rescues him and Tim kills the Joker, but we learn later that the Joker had left some kind of technology that downloaded his personality into Tim's brain. Tim started physically turning into the Joker and Terry had to stop him. He doesn't die at the end of it all, though. He goes back to his normal life, free of the Joker.

ohh hmm cool plot i guess.

It worked out to be a very entertaining story. Plus, the Tim Drake of the cartoon isn't in any way the same Tim Drake of the comics. He's basically Jason Todd with Tim Drake's name. Maybe that helped me enjoy the movie more...

I didn't like Batman Beyond for a long time, but I'd never really sat down and watched it - just made rash judgements from costume/style point of view.

But I was stuck in bed a few years ago with Batman Beyond marathon and Return of the Joker on tv to keep me company and I loved it.

I wouldn't mind more Batman Beyond stuff being put into the current Batman. Maybe Terry McGuinness' father or Powers industry.

The "idea" of Batman Beyond has already been introduced into the DCU in the "With a Vengeance" arc in Superman/Batman. The biggest change was Tim was Batman, not Terry. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
As I said before, I'm against Batman Beyond influencing the comics, but if its going to happen, do it right.
Maybe in "Batman and Son" Bruce's son is named Terry Mcginnis.

I loved Batman Beyond. One of the best things to come out of the Timmverse.

Fledermaus said:
The "idea" of Batman Beyond has already been introduced into the DCU in the "With a Vengeance" arc in Superman/Batman. The biggest change was Tim was Batman, not Terry. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.
As I said before, I'm against Batman Beyond influencing the comics, but if its going to happen, do it right.
Maybe in "Batman and Son" Bruce's son is named Terry Mcginnis.

ugh!

That would be an UGH!. But Didio says some elements from Batman Beyond are being introduced. Bruce is about to find out he has a son, it kind of fits, sadly so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"