• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Worst/Funnies Quotes From Critics On Posters/DVD Covers

Joker

Avenger
Reaction score
Seeing the poster for the movie Sleuth, which has nearly a paragraph of text on the top, makes me wonder what some other horrible uses of quotes from critics on posters/box art might be. Maybe it's a totally misleading quote, or something that just isnt what you would expect from that movie at all.

My favorite has always been the DVD/VHS of Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. When you think Frankenstein, you think horror, so you would expect something like "horrifying!" or "a terrifying look at man playing god" or something like that. Insted, the one word quote they decided to use? "EROTIC"

"Great!" -IMDb.

That one always brings a smile to my face. :p

I really like Peter Travers, too. He's never disagreed with my tastes, that I know of, and I love Pan's Labyrinth, but his quote on the back of the box is odd:

"Fries your nerves and Fires your imagination."

Fries your nerves? Uh, what? :huh:

Peter Travers is a good critic,If I need a second opinion I'll look to see what he has to say.

Anything Pete Hammond from Maxim has to say...he's on like every DVD cover. :whatever:

This isn't from a DVD cover, but it's critics response I love. Just before the film version of Annie was released in 1982, one of the producers said "This is the film I want on my tombstone."

One of the critics responded with "Funeral services begin Friday at a theater near you." :oldrazz:

Classic.

"Great action. The greatest X-Men film yet!"

-MAXIM The source for intelligent movie reviews we all know :whatever:

Oh, I think its funny when they quote either Ebert or Roeper, but not both. Seems like a bad idea, cuz if it says Roeper gives it a thumbs up, you know Ebert didn't like it.

I'm also suspicious when they use ellipses.

"This movie...is great."

Or when they have to go to BFE to find some newspaper reviewer who was the only one to like the movie.

"Catwoman ROCKED"
-Billy Bob Jenkins, Nowheresville Daily

I haven't even seen "School for scoundrels", but that quote that said "Bad Santa meets Napoleon Dynamite!!" was ******ed beyond belief.

There was a bootleg copy of Nanny Mcphee over in Asia somewhere that used my local critic's review of the film on the cover. The problem is he hated the movie and wrote a very negative review of it. So there's actually dvd out there with quotes on it saying how bad it sucks...

Peter Travers is a good critic,If I need a second opinion I'll look to see what he has to say.

Did you even read my whole post, then? I said I like him too. He's never turned me wrong. It's just the quote was odd to me.

Seeing the poster for the movie Sleuth, which has nearly a paragraph of text on the top, makes me wonder what some other horrible uses of quotes from critics on posters/box art might be. Maybe it's a totally misleading quote, or something that just isnt what you would expect from that movie at all.

My favorite has always been the DVD/VHS of Mary Shelly's Frankenstein. When you think Frankenstein, you think horror, so you would expect something like "horrifying!" or "a terrifying look at man playing god" or something like that. Insted, the one word quote they decided to use? "EROTIC"

lmfao. this is an ongoing joke with me and a few friends, "Erotic and visually stunning!" not only is that ridiculous, but the movie is s**t

lmfao. this is an ongoing joke with me and a few friends, "Erotic and visually stunning!" not only is that ridiculous, but the movie is s**t

I know...also the fact that the critic who said that somehow finds semi-incest and corpse f**king erotic is hillarious to me...

On the back of the Batman Returns VHS case it says "Funny, exciting and action packed" or something like that, ive always thought Funny? WTF??

Off the top of my head... "Hilarious." - Blades of Glory.

Does anyone actually listen to comments like that?

The backcover of Batman Forever..."Better...And Battier!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"