The Avengers Would anyone have liked Jane Foster in place of Selvig? [Spoilers]

Yea that's one of my biggest disappointments with the film. I had my expectations setup for that but was saddened they had to remove it. I completely understand why and can certainly wait for it in 2014.

Why? Didn't you just say you wanted the film to focus on Cap the most, well come to find out it did.

I'd be perfectly happy if we never saw Natalie Portman's Jane Foster again.

God, she was a horrendously annoying character.

I disagree vehemently with this. I thought she was a pretty likable character in Thor. I would love to see her return for Thor 2. She would have been out of place in The Avengers though. I like the way Whedon wrote her disappearance from the film. Loki talked about going after her in Thor.

It's been revealed that Cap had the most screentime out of all The Avengers, with Iron Man coming in 2nd.

I knew that had to be the case. One of the things every female I know has mentioned when discussing this movie was that there wasn't enough Thor which was one of my beefs as well. Strictly for the eyecandy. :csad: I didn't need any more emotional baggage with Loki since I'm more than over that. I just wanted to see more action.

I disagree vehemently with this. I thought she was a pretty likable character in Thor. I would love to see her return for Thor 2. She would have been out of place in The Avengers though. I like the way Whedon wrote her disappearance from the film. Loki talked about going after her in Thor.

+1

She is returning for the sequel.

Why? Didn't you just say you wanted the film to focus on Cap the most, well come to find out it did.

I'm sorry but I don't think I entirely understand what you're saying/asking.

I knew that had to be the case. One of the things every female I know has mentioned when discussing this movie was that there wasn't enough Thor which was one of my beefs as well. Strictly for the eyecandy. :csad: I didn't need any more emotional baggage with Loki since I'm more than over that. I just wanted to see more action.

All "personal" preferences and none are good examples of why supposedly the execution of the story as it played out didn't work.

I went with my sister and guess who she talked about the whole time? Cap. Can I sit there and extrapolate that as though Cap didn't get enough time? No. The emotional baggage between the brothers is crucial to the whole entire plot. To say the movie could've done without it is severely misguided.

I'm sorry but I don't think I entirely understand what you're saying/asking.

I'm not asking anything, dude what in the heck are you talking about?

All "personal" preferences and none are good examples of why the execution of the story as it played out didn't work.

I went with my sister and guess who she talked about the whole time? Cap. Can I sit there and extrapolate that as though Cap didn't get enough time? No. The emotional baggage between the brothers is crucial to the whole entire plot. To say the movie could've done without it is severely misguided.

Don't you mean Thor?

I'd be perfectly happy if we never saw Natalie Portman's Jane Foster again.

God, she was a horrendously annoying character.

I am not the only one who thought this! I thought she was annoying, and too, well, annoying, like, all the moments with her made me just go, ugh.

Cause you had a "Why?" in there.

You said you wanted Cap to have the most focus, then I told you it's been noted that he has the most screentime.

What are you disappointed in again?

You said you wanted Cap to have the most focus, then I told you it's been noted that he has the most screentime.

What are you disappointed in again?

Disappointed that it didn't make it in. They could've had two extra hours dealing with him but doesn't matter if its not in the film. I don't hold it against the movie cause I understand why.

All "personal" preferences and none are good examples of why the execution of the story as it played out didn't work.

Huh? Everything is personal preference on some level whether you want to admit it or not. What you think is crucial to the execution of the story is and will always be your .02 and nothing more. Maybe I don't need to see Loki trick Thor a gazillion times to know he loves him. Maybe you do. shrugs

Plus I said I wanted more Thor and in the more that I wanted, I wanted action, not brotherly baggage. I didn't want more Thor mooning over Loki or begging him to come back to Asgard for the upteenth time while he got misty eyed and tricked a gullible Thor again. I wanted more eye candy. More hammer time. More flying. More lightening, more fighting alongside the rest of the team. More anything OTHER than more Loki. Thor and Loki had enough as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry for getting off topic.

I think Whedon had mentioned in one of his recent interviews on how he wouldn't have minded on having Jane cameo in the film, but that he didn't want to take away the privilege of writing her reunion with Thor from the writers that are making Thor 2 at the moment.

Plus, it's just like how they didn't have Steve meet up with a elderly Peggy in the film; the huge cliffhangers that were established at the end of films like CA and Thor; Feige had said on how TA didn't have the time, nor should it be the place, for the heroes to deal with all of their biggest issues established in their solo films and that it should be left for their own sequels where it would have more time to be done in the way it should and can be done.

The reason why Pepper was in the film when compared to the previous Love Interests is that she and Tony had already started a relationship at the end of Iron man 2, with no cliffhanger being left for them to deal with, hence why her presence on screen wouldn't have had as much baggage to it.

Huh? Everything is personal preference on some level whether you want to admit it or not. What you think is crucial to the execution of the story is and will always be your .02 and nothing more. Maybe I don't need to see Loki trick Thor a gazillion times to know he loves him. Maybe you do. shrugs

Plus I said I wanted more Thor and in the more that I wanted, I wanted action, not brotherly baggage. I didn't want more Thor mooning over Loki or begging him to come back to Asgard for the upteenth time while he got misty eyed and tricked a gullible Thor again. I wanted more eye candy. More hammer time. More flying. More lightening, more fighting alongside the rest of the team. More anything OTHER than more Loki. Thor and Loki had enough as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry for getting off topic.

How could there not be baggage considering the circumstances? That has nothing to do with my own personal preferences, that's just sheer logic.

I'm seriously just floored by your response. Sounds like you want a Michael Bay Thor in this film.

But the post you quoted was talking about Thor and you even said something about his relationship with Loki in your post.

Ya, I said the emotional baggage between the brothers is a necessary arc to the story.

How could there not be baggage considering the circumstances? That has nothing to do with my own personal preferences, that's just sheer logic.

I'm seriously just floored by your response. Sounds like you want a Michael Bay Thor in this film.

Are you reading what I actually wrote? How would a few more minutes of Thor eye candy hurt the film at all? Seriously? One more time of Thor doing something exciting besides mooning over Loki and I'm wanting a Michael Bay film and no Loki and Thor baggage? That's quite a leap.

Personally, all I needed, which I'm thankful for, was just a on screen explanation as to where Jane was during the events of TA, and seeing as how Whedon was gracious enough to address that, with an actual photo as well, that was more than enough to satisfy me.

Hell, Whedon even included a voice over from Peggy, along with a brief shot of her face in a picture during Steve's raging flashbacks.

Personally, all I needed, which I'm thankful for, was just a on screen explanation as to where Jane was during the events of TA, and seeing as how Whedon was gracious enough to address that, with an actual photo as well, that was more than enough to satisfy me.

Hell, Whedon even included a voice over from Peggy, along with a brief shot of her face in a picture during Steve's raging flashbacks.

Didn't care for where Betty was?

If Natalie Portman hadn't been pregnant, or at least heavily pregnant and had a role in the movie, would people have liked her to have had Stellan Skargaard's role instead? That way she would've figured importantly into the plot without just looking like a love interest. She would've been integral to Loki's plan to use the arc reactor to open the portal and boost the Tesseract from the top of Stark Tower.

I do wish we did get Natalie. Even if she didn't have Selvig's role exactly, both of them could have been captured by Loki and brainwashed into helping him. That would've raised the stakes for Thor even more by putting someone he loves in danger, and would've heightened the suspense, especially if at the end somehow she was hanging off the Stark Tower clinging on for dear life, and Thor or someone else had to try to save her while the Avengers were fighting off the Chitauri. Maybe everytime someone tried to rescue her, the Chitauri got in the way and foiled the rescue attempt.

Also Jane Foster would've been useful when Stark was unconscious after he fell through the portal. Maybe she could've given him the kiss of life, much to Thor's chagrin.

No. Thor was already upset it was friend, but if you made it Portman, it becomes "save the damsel." Also, it's a small part that would really waste Natalie, who is signed for three films. Save those for the Thor sequels, because I doubt she'll do more than three unless they give her a Pepper-styled cameo in the next Avengers movie to come.

Didn't care for where Betty was?

I think that's more of a issue with the fact that Marvel probably doesn't know on who they'll be able to get back for any potential sequels regarding the Hulk, so better that they not further establish on what some core characters look like in TA if they're unable to get them for the solo sequels, that way, they'd avoid in having to disrupt continuity even further.

I found Portman's Jane a little bland and overtly gigglish (giggle, fine, but don't come across as a ditzy) - So that, combined with Selvig's visual role being limited and 'negative', I'm pretty glad it was him anyway.

I liked how enthusiastic and almost insane he appeared sometimes later on under Loki's control - Unshaven, dirty with those wacky possessed eyes - cool.

I liked how enthusiastic and almost insane he appeared sometimes later on under Loki's control - Unshaven, dirty with those wacky possessed eyes - cool.

I noticed that too, for some reason I suddenly want to see much more of him in Thor's sequels.

Well the only other woman who could've been on the tower to present some suspense would've been Pepper, but she was in a plane (still flying to DC all this time?), and there wouldn't have been that moment with Tony trying to contact her.

It seems as if the only reason you wanted Jane or another of the heroes' love interests in the film was to play "damsel in distress." Marvel should be applauded for not resorting to that hoary old cliche. Think of the entire Earth as Thor's damsel, if you must, and you'll find plenty of suspense in the film's climax.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"