Would you have liked it better if Season 7 ended with the original cut of "Veritas"?

herolee10

No More Miracles
Reaction score
between what we got eventually with "Artic" and what we could've gotten with the original cut of "Veritas", how would you have wanted to end this season?

For those who are unaware what I'm talking about, if the Writer's strike didn't finish by the time Veritas was supposed to air, then "Veritas" would've been season seven's finale. Now originally, the original cut of "Veritas" was supposed to be a two hour special episode that included Lionel's death as one of its cliffhangers and Lex finding the FOS at the end of the episode (the shot of Lex removing his goggles in the "sleeper" trailer).

Had we ended with "Veritas", its possible that MR would've come back for season 8 to film some scenes and we could've avoided episodes like sleeper and quest. As well we wouldn't have had to endure seeing Clark saying things like "I don't care about Lex, I just want to help Lana", and we could've gotten a better arc probably with Kara and Brainiac and film some decent scenes with Kristin since by this time she would've been done with filming her Street Fighter movie. We would've most likely still have gotten "Apocalypse" since it still is no matter what the 150th episode of the series, and would've been like the third episode of season 8.

And more importantly, we would've been left with one hell of a better season finale like cliffhangers than the ones we got in "Artic" in my opinion.

Any thoughts?

Lets just hope the original cut is on the DVD.

Lets just hope the original cut is on the DVD.

ooohh....

good idea, I hope so too.

I think Apocalypse was wonderful and I'm not sorry that happened. Sleeper was almost pure dreck, but Quest was okay... Just too talky and retconned too much.

I think is more complicated than that. With Lex killing Lionel on "Veritas", then solving the whole traveler puzzle to be able to find the FOS at the end of the episode is just too much. It would've been contrived to say the least, also, what about "Descent", considered by many the best episode of the season, I doubt it would've been the same if the whole thing was put in there with the rest of "Veritas". And definitely they should include the original cut in the S7 DVD set, it would be a very popular item.

The producers said some interesting things about the "Veritas" subject (on bold below):

Brian Peterson, executive producer of The CW's Smallville, told SCI FI Wire that the writers already are gearing up for the show's upcoming eighth season, thanks to an early pickup announcement.

"We're always hopeful, and we always plan every year for a season finale, but it's really great when we get to tell one more year of Clark's story," Peterson said in an interview.

"It's very early, and we really have to work in partnership with the studio, because right now we haven't presented anything to them," Peterson added with a laugh.

Peterson was willing to share a few spoilers about the next season. "The things I think I can hint at are the Lois and Clark of it all," he said, referring to the 1990s Superman-themed series that ran on ABC. "It's really going to be a season about Lois [Erica Durance] and Clark [Tom Welling]."

Peterson added that Clark will be facing "his own personal D-Day, and let people figure out what perhaps that means. And then I would say if people think Lex [Michael Rosenbaum] has issues now, wait until you meet his new sidekick. ... So those are the very preliminary brush strokes that we probably need to get into in the next few weeks."

As for the current season, five new episodes will begin airing, starting on April 17, with the focus clearly on Lex's fall to the dark side, starting in the episode "Descent."

"The rest of this season is, for the most part, about Lex finding what he's always been looking for," Peterson said. "'Veritas' [the last original episode to air] launched the next five episodes, which are all about Lex finding what he's been searching for."

Smallville's season was interrupted by the recently settled writers' strike. "Veritas" was originally designed as an extended season finale. But it aired as an hour-long episode, with several scenes unfinished. Those scenes will now form the basis of the season's final episodes, Peterson said. "I think it's going to be nice to actually see each piece of that story, rather than have it all hit in one episode," he said.

The finale will also set up the new season. "There's so much still to play," Peterson said. "People keep asking us all the time, 'When are you bringing in this character?' 'When are you doing this?' 'When are you doing that?' And we're like, 'We'll get there.' There're a lot of characters to service. So next year we have some real fun and clear ideas about what we're doing."

no doubt

althouth arcti's ending wasn't THAT bad but imagine all the hype if seseaon eneded with lex looking at FOS outside and then going inside the FOS (this was suppsed to be original cliffhanger which we saw in sleepre's promo)

Heck yes I'd have taken that as the finale. "Apocalypse" was nice and all, but Clark wishing he wasn't around to ruin his friends and family's lives was done before. It was called "Exodus".

Heck yes I'd have taken that as the finale. "Apocalypse" was nice and all, but Clark wishing he wasn't around to ruin his friends and family's lives was done before. It was called "Exodus".

true, and we still could've gotten Apocalypse, only it would've been the third episode of season 8 if Veritas was the season seven finale. And if and hopefully if season 8 was the last season, then they could've started to focus wrapping things up and getting everyone to their respective places by the time the tenth episode of season 8 aired, after all Miles and Gough said that they had a ten episode arc that would conclude the entire series, and we could've possibly avoided getting the characters of Doomsday and Tess.

Also, many fans would've enjoyed seeing the original Veritas in its true epic cut that could've been considered better than "commencement".

yesh, I would have taken the original cut of Veritas over the finale that we got. Lionel's death coupled with Lex finding the FOS and then fade to black would have been EPIC!

Reading about what Veritas would have been like, versus what we got with Arctic (and, yes, I enjoyed Apocalypse), I would've taken the original Veritas cut.

Yes sir. Original cut of "Veritas" is the winner. :up:

The show could end as is and I'd be ok with it....Chloe in jail, considering I've wanted her dead from the jump, Kara floating through space, and Clark and Lex in a collapsing FOS...I like it....You all can't handle a complex ending, you need it all to be wrapped up in a nice little bow for ya??

anyone remember the sleeper trailer where they show lex in diffrent clothes (similar to Lex in superman movies) and he is going inside the FOS

this scene was suppsed to be last scene in veritas

anyone remember the sleeper trailer where they show lex in diffrent clothes (similar to Lex in superman movies) and he is going inside the FOS

this scene was suppsed to be last scene in veritas

yeah somwhere in that trailer you see him in a winter jacket walking up and looking at the fortress, i think that was cut from Artic right?

^^ No, that scene was shot earlier. It doesn't fit into "Arctic" after we saw Lex with that dark, long coat.

^^^ also lex killing lionel was shot earlier than descent

that's why we saw trailer of lex killing lionel after veritas episode

This thread is nothing without a poll! :o

And yes, I would've personally preferred the Veritas angle.

Only if they could have aired Apocalypse earlier. I wouldn't mind so much losing Quest and Artic (even though I liked them) but Apocalypse to me was the best (along with Descent) episode this season and it would be too much of a loss missing that one.

I think both endings would work. I like the one we got but I can see where the back up plan would have worked out too. I have to agree though it would have rushed the Veritas plot a bit too much. but man i wouldn't trade in Apocalypse for anything. It's one of the best episodes of the series.

yes Apocalypse was Epic in true sense

In my opinion, had season 7 ended with the original Veritas, it would've made it like season 4, where it had some great episodes, but had a lot of medicore and some bad ones only to go out with a bang in its season finale.

Also, we could've avoided the part where ppl have been throwing negative comments at clark for not trying hard enough to stop lex from finding the device and the FOS. If Lex found the FOS in the Original Veritas, ppl couldn't say that Clark should've tried harder to stop him since Clark had a real excuse on not being able to. Plus, we could've been more likely guaranteed that Lex would've returned for some appearances in season 8, and possibly without having to contend with the two new characters that are arriving for season 8 as well. Also, if tptb had been given more time, they could've possibly made the whole return to krypton thing more better. We could've still had Apocalypse, but it would've been the third episode for season 8 and we could've concentrate from that mildstone of episode in clark's development in focusing him to become Superman by the end of the season instead of prolonging it any further.

I think both endings would work. I like the one we got but I can see where the back up plan would have worked out too. I have to agree though it would have rushed the Veritas plot a bit too much. but man i wouldn't trade in Apocalypse for anything. It's one of the best episodes of the series.

yes Apocalypse was Epic in true sense

How can an illusion be epic?

It does seem ironic to me that the universe that is most familiar to Superman fans (Jimmy with a bow tie, Lois as a reporter, Lex as president) is the WRONG universe in Smallville lore. :)

And to answer the topic question, Veritas >>>>> Arctic. IMO

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"