The Amazing Spider-Man Would Spider-Man really be better off at Marvel/Disney?

I don't see how Marvel Studios would have done a better job of rebooting Spidey, at best the result would have been the same as we got with Marc Webb reboot.

We have seen in the past how much money Universal Pictures (Ang lee's )Hulk made, even with Marvel acquiring the rights to Hulk back and then doing their own reboot The Incredible Hulk, the results were the same.(financially and critically)

Having said that, I expect Sony to cooperate with Marvel in future just to let a Spider-Man appear in Avengers. Both Studios will get benefit as Spider-Man is a popular hero.

I don't see how Marvel Studios would have done a better job of rebooting Spidey, at best the result would have been the same as we got with Marc Webb reboot.

We have seen in the past how much money Universal Pictures (Ang lee's )Hulk made, even with Marvel acquiring the rights to Hulk back and then doing their own reboot The Incredible Hulk, the results were the same.(financially and critically)

Having said that, I expect Sony to cooperate with Marvel in future just to let a Spider-Man appear in Avengers. Both Studios will get benefit as Spider-Man is a popular hero.
:up: Agreed.

People like to use TIH as an example of why TASM should have shown the origin in the opening credits. But as I mentioned earlier, TIH has many problems. It feels like its the sequel to a movie we never got to see. Something is missing from it. There are characters and stories we are "supposed" to be familiar with, but I don't think the movie really worked. I think its better to actually tell the origin again, and I think TASM was a better reboot than TIH was.

Let Sony keep Spider-Man, and Fox have X-Men & Fantastic Four... I just wish the studios could work together so they could somehow connect their movies with each other.
Not looking forward to see their movie worlds interconnected

I'd love all the studious to work together to make a connected universe, but it will never happen :o

It's a pity that Avengers 2 comes out AFTER ASM2. Had it have been the other way round Spidey appearing in A2 would be more beneficial for Sony.
That said if Sony and Marvel can come to an agreement you can have an Avengers end credits sequence in ASM2. I think I would geek out if I saw that.

You haven't really proven anything to be honest. And why is the RT score being used as if it was the definitive means of determining whether or not a movie is good or bad? Its just an RT score.
Seeing as how the topic at hand is subjective, the RT score is one of the more solid thinsg one can look to as to what the general consensus on the films quality is.
ASM (a movie I actually enjoyed) is at a 73, which is lower than all but one of Marvel Studios movies.
Logically one would assume that, given their track record, they would have cranked out a movie higher than a 73 (since that's what they typically do) especially considering that Spider-man is their crown jewel. They would have gone all out for Spider-man, no doubt in my mind.
Until you refute that and show me why that's faulty logic, I feel that my point still remains despite claims to the contrary.
Spider-Man - 89% and 65%
Spider-Man 2 - 93% and 81%
Spider-Man 3 - 63% and 54%
The Amazing Spider-Man - 73% and 81%

The Spider-Man movies all have fresh reviews, too (with the exception of SM3's audience rating). SM1 has a low audience score, but look at how many ratings it has: over 32 million from over the past 10 years. Its critic score was 91% a few years ago as well, but went down as time went on. Spider-Man 3 was so hyped up, and faced huge disappointment, so I'd imagine the score would be higher if it weren't for that.
Yes, overall the Raimi films were quality. No one's doubting that. Sony did a good job with the first trilogy despite a few bumps in the road. But seeing as how Sony has rebooted the franchise, it's more germane to the discussion at hand to bring up how they have handled the character and the new direction they're taking him in.

TASM would also be much higher, but many of the negative reviews are really cheap, which refer to it as the same movie as SM1, or being a reboot that was too soon. If it was the first Spider-Man movie, the score would probably be much higher.
Unfortunately we're not dealing in hypotheticals. It wasn't the first Spider-man movie so there's no use in belaboring that point any further. People, myself included, weren't stoked to sit through the origin again. It was a poor move because overall it was extremely similar to the first Raimi film. You can't negate someone's review or call it 'cheap' because they don't want to sit through a movie that they feel they've seen already, no matter how good you think that movie may be. Their decision to retell the same story with a few differences was a poor choice, a choice that I say with confidence that Marvel probably would not have made seeing as how they handled TIH.
I'm not hailing TIH as a fantastic movie or anything, just bringing it up as an example of how Marvel handles reboots to demonstrate that they would not have made the same mistake Sony did.

The movie just didn't carry itself. SHIELD had about 9 minutes of screen time, according to you, but its presence felt much bigger in the film. They helped Iron Man create a new element to save him, Black Widow was introduced and had more screen time than she needed, Captain America's shield made an appearance, and it was just full of more easter eggs that reference the MCU. Everything that happened in the movie was so bland, from the villain, to fight scenes (or lack there of fight scenes), dialogue, etc. I don't understand how it has a higher rating than The Amazing Spider-Man.
Now, this is all subjective. I can't sit here and tell you you're wrong on this, even though I disagree. My only point is that it was in no way a two hour advertisement for the Avengers. Those claims are greatly exaggerated.
So you are using RT scores as facts?
As I said I'm using them to demonstrate the consensus on a film's quality, which is what it's there for. So it's definitely worth bringing up in a discussion like this.

Outside of the Avengers and the Iron Man movies, they have a good track record. Not a GREAT one. IM2 made as much as it did due to the success of the first film.
So omitting their two best movies (which don't count for some reason?) their track record is, according to you, good.
So with the two movies that we omitted for no reason added back in does that bring their track record back to great? So does my original point still remain?
I don't understand what you're trying to say here.
Sidenote real quick: it's a breathe of fresh air to have a discussion like this on these forums without it getting heated or immature. I remember having similar debates here with people a few months ago and it always resorted to name calling or passive aggressive tension. Glad people like that aren't around anymore, or if they are I'm glad I have yet to encounter them. I always appreciate a thoughtful discussion. :up:

Last edited:
I'd love all the studious to work together to make a connected universe, but it will never happen :o

As much as it pains me to say it, Avengers is a bigger draw at the box office than Spidey right now so including hype of Spidey in the Avengers would probably add another 100m to the box office of ASM2.

I'd really like to think it could.
Much as I obviously want Marvel to get the rights back I'd be just as cool with them integrating the Sony Spidey universe into the MCU. At the end of the day I just want him to be in the same world as the Avengers, regardless of what studio is actually making the movies.

Seeing as how the topic at hand is subjective, the RT score is one of the more solid thinsg one can look to as to what the general consensus on the films quality is.
ASM (a movie I actually enjoyed) is at a 73, which is lower than all but one of Marvel Studios movies.
Logically one would assume that, given their track record, they would have cranked out a movie higher than a 73 (since that's what they typically do) especially considering that Spider-man is their crown jewel. They would have gone all out for Spider-man, no doubt in my mind.
Until you refute that and show me why that's faulty logic, I feel that my point still remains despite claims to the contrary.
I find RT scores to be very inconsistent, and not the best way to judge whether a movie is good or not. You still have not proven anything.

Yes, overall the Raimi films were quality. No one's doubting that. Sony did a good job with the first trilogy despite a few bumps in the road. But seeing as how Sony has rebooted the franchise, it's more germane to the discussion at hand to bring up how they have handled the character and the new direction they're taking him in.

I understand that they did a reboot and are taking Spider-Man in a new direction. But the Raimi films do exist and were made within the last 10 years, so I think they are still relevant at this point.

Unfortunately we're not dealing in hypotheticals. It wasn't the first Spider-man movie so there's no use in belaboring that point any further. People, myself included, weren't stoked to sit through the origin again. It was a poor move because overall it was extremely similar to the first Raimi film. You can't negate someone's review or call it 'cheap' because they don't want to sit through a movie that they feel they've seen already, no matter how good you think that movie may be. Their decision to retell the same story with a few differences was a poor choice, a choice that I say with confidence that Marvel probably would not have made seeing as how they handled TIH.
I'm not hailing TIH as a fantastic movie or anything, just bringing it up as an example of how Marvel handles reboots to demonstrate that they would not have made the same mistake Sony did.

Its hypothetical, but if it was the first Spider-Man film, it would have no doubt been given more positive ratings. It wasn't very similar to SM1 at all, other than the fact that both films were based on the same comic book. The reviews calling it the same movie over again do feel cheap, because its not really judging the movie for what it is. TIH introduced the Hulk very poorly IMO, so I don't think it set a good precedent for rebooting Comic Book Movies. TASM established the grounds for the new universe quite well, despite having only some similar plot points.

Now, this is all subjective. I can't sit here and tell you you're wrong on this, even though I disagree. My only point is that it was in no way a two hour advertisement for the Avengers. Those claims are greatly exaggerated.
I still see it as an Avengers advertisement. To each his own.

So omitting their two best movies (which don't count for some reason?) their track record is, according to you, good.
So with the two movies that we omitted for no reason added back in does that bring their track record back to great? So does my original point still remain?
I don't understand what you're trying to say here.

I never said their two best movies "don't count." I'm just pointing out that they only have 2 great films, while the rest are not.

Sidenote real quick: it's a breathe of fresh air to have a discussion like this on these forums without it getting heated or immature. I remember having similar debates here with people a few months ago and it always resorted to name calling or passive aggressive tension. Glad people like that aren't around anymore, or if they are I'm glad I have yet to encounter them. I always appreciate a thoughtful discussion. :up:
Agreed. There is nothing wrong with a little discussion like this. Name calling or insulting is stupid, especially if talking about movies. In the end, its how you feel and what you like.

I'd really like to think it could.
Much as I obviously want Marvel to get the rights back I'd be just as cool with them integrating the Sony Spidey universe into the MCU. At the end of the day I just want him to be in the same world as the Avengers, regardless of what studio is actually making the movies.

The thing is the Spidey/Avengers universe looks identicle. Even the tech looks the same (the mouse DNA thingy/stark tech). Having the characters cross over wouldn't be jaring whereas (as an example) the universes of Nolan's Batman and Singers Superman (SR) looks completely different.

The thing is the Spidey/Avengers universe looks identicle. Even the tech looks the same (the mouse DNA thingy/stark tech). Having the characters cross over wouldn't be jaring whereas (as an example) the universes of Nolan's Batman and Singers Superman (SR) looks completely different.

I could see Webb's Spider-Man crossing over. Raimi's Spider-Man wouldn't fit IMO.

I could see Webb's Spider-Man crossing over. Raimi's Spider-Man wouldn't fit IMO.
I don't want either one of those to cross over
Although Andrew crossing over does make more sense than Tobey

Exactly.

Not that the Spider-Man franchise needs it but like the MCU solo films, the solo Spider-Man films would receive a boost following a crossover film.

I like how people called me crazy on here 2 years ago when I said this was likely to happen and now suddenly everyone thinks it will happen. Imma find those posts:o

I have still not been convinced that Marvel Studios have much to gain from 'borrowing' Spider-Man. A sequel to Captain America isn't going to benefit from Spider-Man having been in an Avengers film, nor is a property like Ant-Man.

As for the Avengers films themselves, they are already clearly doing well enough without Spider-Man. Including him in an Avengers sequel is unlikely to garner significant financial returns, given as it would seemingly require a massive amount of people who will see an Avengers films with Spider-Man but won't see one without him, which must be an incredibly small and insignificant demographic. Furthermore, the MCU is now guided creatively by Joss Whedon which will almost certainly further streamline and build the cohesiveness of the MCU. Throwing in a character with none of that influence and an entirely separate aesthetic would only undermine the sense of continuity being built as it makes the whole enterprise appear arbitrary.

So, other than Sony making money for nothing, I don't see how anyone benefits from some bizzare character borrowing exercise. If Marvel Studios are to benefit, I'd imagine they want all the rights so they can integrate the character properly and not have to surrender any funds.

Worth bearing in mind that Avengers was crammed to the bring and that was with Hawkeye under the spell of Loki so he isn't part of the team for half the movie *cough* plot devise to avoid dealing with Hawkeye *cough*.
Now add Ant Man and Wasp to that list and all I see for Spidey if he were to appear in the Avengers is a cameo.

...I could live with that :yay:

Spider-Man appearing in the MCU would be such a huge event in comic book movie history. Why wouldn't Marvel want him in one of their movies?

I can see it now...

*SDCC 2013 Avengers Panel*

Somebody swings down to the stage, a dark figure. The lights flash, and beam on him, it's Spider-Man. He takes the mask off, and it's Andrew Garfield. And the crowd goes crazy.

I think that would be the only way to beat the Avenger's box office lol

Daily Bugle Spidey is getting my hopes up...

I can see it now...

*SDCC 2013 Avengers Panel*

Somebody swings down to the stage, a dark figure. The lights flash, and beam on him, it's Spider-Man. He takes the mask off, and it's Andrew Garfield. And the crowd goes crazy.

When does Avengers 2 comes out?, Sony could only win with that deal , i imagine doing the Avengers credits like the first one but with a close-up of spiderman lenses and the name: "Andrew Garfield" ,:woot:

Avengers 2 comes out sometime in 2015... I forgot what day and month though.

tumblr_mfijp7nRIm1rlln3do1_250.gif

Please SONY! PLEASE!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"