The Force Awakens Would you like events from the Expanded Universe put into original characters?

TX85

Avenger
Reaction score
I know George Lucas has always said that he never reads novels&stuff that uses the expanded universe and that he only sees his SW films as the true SW universe and rest is just another world..But obviously things are different now,He said he'd never do SW films after the prequels nor allow anybody else do it But now he's a consultant for a new trilogy and he's not even the only boss.

There's been TONS of novels/comics/animated shows&games since the late 70's that uses an expanded universe and with original characters maybe returning for this new film trilogy I think it'd be awesome IF events that happened to them in the EU got mixed&used for the newfilms.

Luke-He build a new Jedi temple and used it to teach&train new Jedi's But unlike Jedi's before him he taught people of all ages as well allowing relationships&ex-Siths,He met a female sith that became his enemy But later turned her to the good side&into a jedi and they fell in love and later they married&had a daughter

Han&Leia-They got married and had twins(boy&girl),The boy grew up wanting to be a jedi&like his uncle,The girl went into politics like her mother.

Bobba Fett-Survived

I may be off about some of the details and I can't remember much about other characters But I always loved these things about Luke/Leia/Han&Bobba

Mara Jade would be great but I would rather she be a pupil to Luke and not his wife. I just don't see Mark Hamill having that hot a honey at his age now and lets face it Mara Jade is the hottest Sith turned Jedi

I know George Lucas has always said that he never reads novels&stuff that uses the expanded universe and that he only sees his SW films as the true SW universe and rest is just another world..But obviously things are different now,He said he'd never do SW films after the prequels nor allow anybody else do it But now he's a consultant for a new trilogy and he's not even the only boss.

There's been TONS of novels/comics/animated shows&games since the late 70's that uses an expanded universe and with original characters maybe returning for this new film trilogy I think it'd be awesome IF events that happened to them in the EU got mixed&used for the newfilms.

Luke-He build a new Jedi temple and used it to teach&train new Jedi's But unlike Jedi's before him he taught people of all ages as well allowing relationships&ex-Siths,He met a female sith that became his enemy But later turned her to the good side&into a jedi and they fell in love and later they married&had a daughter

Han&Leia-They got married and had twins(boy&girl),The boy grew up wanting to be a jedi&like his uncle,The girl went into politics like her mother.

Bobba Fett-Survived

I may be off about some of the details and I can't remember much about other characters But I always loved these things about Luke/Leia/Han&Bobba
My understanding is that Luke and Jade had Ben a son not a girl
And I am fine with Luke having a Son just not sure need to have Mara Jade his wife.

Mara Jade would be great but I would rather she be a pupil to Luke and not his wife. I just don't see Mark Hamill having that hot a honey at his age now and lets face it Mara Jade is the hottest Sith turned Jedi

Well Luke was young&handsome in ROTJ and so it could be said that they met a few years after that and have them be around the same age,They can show flash backs of her hot younger self.

Their son could be the same age Luke was in ANH

My understanding is that Luke and Jade had Ben a son not a girl
And I am fine with Luke having a Son just not sure need to have Mara Jade his wife.

Your right,Don't know why I thought daughter

They need to keep Mara as Luke's wife & Ben as their son. They also need to keep the Solo twins & Boba Fett living. The movies can skip that whole Chewie dying thing though.

Wait wait wait, Jaina goes into politics? I thought both her and Jacen trained as Jedi but then Jacen turned to the Dark Side...?

I might the odd one out but I think the smartest thing Disney can do would be to skip all of that, jumping a century or more into the future, and only indirectly the EU (e.g. incorporating locations, races, factions, etc). That way, they have more creative freedom, can start their own saga (I see the previous 6 as Anakin Skywalker's journey), and allows the EU book franchise to continue.

Wait wait wait, Jaina goes into politics? I thought both her and Jacen trained as Jedi but then Jacen turned to the Dark Side...?

I remember her doing that But I could just be getting confused&forgetting as I said some details could be off,I haven't read these stories in years

I'm all for using characters and elements from the EU. But I want selected retcons, which would be a slippery slope.

If they don't use Mara Jade, Ben Skywalker, Jaina, Jacen and anakin Solo..there are going to be a lot of pissed off fans.... :csad:

just have them as young adults and the main characters. and have Luke, Han and Leia as older supporting characters.

If they don't use Mara Jade, Ben Skywalker, Jaina, Jacen and anakin Solo..there are going to be a lot of pissed off fans.... :csad:

just have them as young adults and the main characters. and have Luke, Han and Leia as older supporting characters.

Except Jacen is [blackout]dead[/blackout]. Plus, the political situation would be hella confusing to the non-EU-reading audience; who would be the vast majority.

I might the odd one out but I think the smartest thing Disney can do would be to skip all of that, jumping a century or more into the future, and only indirectly the EU (e.g. incorporating locations, races, factions, etc). That way, they have more creative freedom, can start their own saga (I see the previous 6 as Anakin Skywalker's journey), and allows the EU book franchise to continue.
You're not the only one who feels this way, dont worry :woot:

I'd be perfectly content with just Jaina and Jacen Solo and a few new Jedi and non-Jedi supporting characters myself. Not bothered if I don't see Anakin Solo and Ben Skywalker to be honest.

You know, Gianakin inspired me to read the Thrawn Trilogy a few weeks ago. I've finished the first two books, and I'm about to start on the third ('The Last Command'). From what I've read so far, definitely: bring in some elements from that.

Worthy characters include Thrawn, Joruus C'Baoth, Mara Jade, Talon Karrde, etc.

And I'd like to see the Battle of Sluis Van on the big screen, or some variation of it.

If they use Thrawn, I'd prefer they change him. Aesthetically he looks more like a Star Trek universe alien.

You know, Gianakin inspired me to read the Thrawn Trilogy a few weeks ago. I've finished the first two books, and I'm about to start on the third ('The Last Command'). From what I've read so far, definitely: bring in some elements from that.

Worthy characters include Thrawn, Joruus C'Baoth, Mara Jade, Talon Karrde, etc.

And I'd like to see the Battle of Sluis Van on the big screen, or some variation of it.

Glad to see you like the books so far. You won't be disappointed by the finale. The books stink of classic SW.

Except Jacen is [blackout]dead[/blackout]. Plus, the political situation would be hella confusing to the non-EU-reading audience; who would be the vast majority.

They could always retcon that story & perhaps put bits & pieces of it in the new trilogy. I think the idea of Jacen turning to the dark side & Jaina having to take him down is cool, it just wasn't done all that well.

I'm okay with retconning stories, as long as they don't retcon important characters.

Glad to see you like the books so far. You won't be disappointed by the finale. The books stink of classic SW.

Yes indeed!

Do you recommend starting the NJO series next, or is there something crucial in between?

She could be his age. They could have been together for years by the time this movie starts.

I think people expecting this to be in any way in continuity with the EU are setting themselves up for disappointment.

I'd be extremely surprised if any EU characters actually made it into the story -- I could definitely see elements being borrowed (such as Luke starting a New Jedi Order/Temple) but I really don't think there's any shot of Mara Jade, Jacen/Jaina, etc to show up.

It's going to be an original story, I think, and I don't think Lucas or the writers would want to be saddled with the characters and continuity of a billion other writers... Nor would I want that.

True. The question then is what happens to EU? Rendering them non-canon makes the EU franchise suddenly worthless; leaving Disney with warehouses of recycle paper and the library of literature they just acquired valueless.

Last edited:
True. The question then is what happens to EU? Rendering them non-canon makes the EU franchise suddenly worthless; leaving Disney with warehouses of recycle paper and the library of literature they just acquired valueless.

Thats the sad thing: Anything post-Return of the Jedi was a giant sandbox for Dark Horse Comics and other publishers but now everything that has transpired with get hit by the 'Elsewhere" label, losing all its value. EU was a diplomatic term to please everyone including Lucasfilm but Elsewhere lacks broad appeal unless its an one shot like 'Kingdom Come".

I think...and this is just me i'm sure...that the EU novels focus too much on the kids of the main OT characters. I would rather see new characters not blood related to the old crew. Except for like ONE...maybe a son or daughter of Han and Leia...but I think Luke should be devoted to the rise of the new Jedi Order and never had time for kids or relationships.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"