The Force Awakens The problem of disrespect of the Expanded Universe

All this debate over Lucas and the movies being the one definite canon, let me ask you this... who shot first? Greedo or Solo?

How can anyone say that Lucas and the movies are the one reliable source when he alters them a little every few years?

The constant changes where an anomaly. The movies inform the EU and not the other way around.

I would not even expect the sequels to adhere to the canon of the other 2 trilogies in everything. Movies have inconcistencies between them all the time, and SW is no different.

The matter is a simple one: some stuff IS gonna get contradicted. At best they'll work their own, EU contradiction avoiding stories that won't deal with the Skywalkers, Solos and Organas. But I really, REALLY don't think that's the priority.

Even if they try and work directly off the EU stuff's not gonna be the same because years of comics is not a movie, you know? Just on the medium change stuff's gonna go. Then you gonna wonder if the writter and director are going to want to use this chance to adapt EU into film, when working off of Lucas' ideas. Just on Lucas himself you know stuff is gonna get thrown overboard.

The constant changes where an anomaly. The movies inform the EU and not the other way around.

I would not even expect the sequels to adhere to the canon of the other 2 trilogies in everything. Movies have inconcistencies between them all the time, and SW is no different.

The matter is a simple one: some stuff IS gonna get contradicted. At best they'll work their own, EU contradiction avoiding stories that won't deal with the Skywalkers, Solos and Organas. But I really, REALLY don't think that's the priority.

Even if they try and work directly off the EU stuff's not gonna be the same because years of comics is not a movie, you know? Just on the medium change stuff's gonna go. Then you gonna wonder if the writter and director are going to want to use this chance to adapt EU into film, when working off of Lucas' ideas. Just on Lucas himself you know stuff is gonna get thrown overboard.

100% agree. I would expect some elements to be inspired by the EU such as the Solo twins, but they obviously won't be using the EU as source material like comic book movies do.

Alternate timeline. After they killed off Chewbecca, I gave up on the EU. Apparantly, I didn't miss much.

Imo you did. At least 19 books of awesomeness, darkness and, occasionally, depth.

I started reading The Joiner King star wars novel a month ago....bleh. Hated it.

That was mediocre (and then the really bad stuff starts).

Given what the EU has done to the Skywalker-Solo clan in the last decade, I really could care less if it were disregarded in Episodes VII-IX.

I am of course, open to inspiration being taken by the hijinks of the Bantam era.

33649890.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"