X-Men: Days of Future Past vs. Captain America: Civil War

and she would be right.apart from deadpool.they always have their elements of humor but they always has been more serious and deals with issues.

the allegary with x-men has always made them different.

What issues?

I dont know if I can really agree with this. The xmen series keeps touching on the mutant racism thing to the point where it's gonna really old. Not only that, it only does those mature themes sporadically while the rest of the movie plays out pretty much like any other cbm. It kinda feels like the disingenuous "seriousness" of the dceu. Especially when it's at its worst like in Apocalypse, Origins, and 3.

Disagreed. Reason why I latch on to the MCU flicks of Markus & McFeely is they finally understood the average X-Men movie tone; the tone I attribute to modern Marvel Comics (not the postmodern legacy/synergy stuff). In this comparison, however, I still prefer DOFP. Choosing between The Winter Soldier or DOFP would be harder.

What issues?

Xmen are about being outcasts and outsiders. At its core the comic reclaims that and empowers that, since in the xmen world being different can be a good thing, it is just something that needs to be learned, embraced, understood.

The Sentinels are a good metaphor for example. They are a lifeless force meant to systematically destroy that which is different. However, the future sentinels can also absorb powers and make them their own, a metaphor for cultural appropriation which is in the news. Harnessing of abilities also shows up as laboratory science in Logan.

The children in Logan are lab experiments, like many Black, Jewish, and Aboriginal kids were in history.

In First Class all of this works. It takes place in the 1960s which is all about Western society opening up, to women and to minorities. Raven's arc is to stop pretending to be someone she's not. Erik grew up in Auschwitz. Charles wants to reconcile and work with people but there are obstacles.

Etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Etc.

Xmen are about being outcasts and outsiders. At its core the comic reclaims that and empowers that, since in the xmen world being different can be a good thing, it is just something that needs to be learned, embraced, understood.

The Sentinels are a good metaphor for example. They are a lifeless force meant to systematically destroy that which is different. However, the future sentinels can also absorb powers and make them their own, a metaphor for cultural appropriation which is in the news. Harnessing of abilities also shows up as laboratory science in Logan.

The children in Logan are lab experiments, like many Black, Jewish, and Aboriginal kids were in history.

In First Class all of this works. It takes place in the 1960s which is all about Western society opening up, to women and to minorities. Raven's arc is to stop pretending to be someone she's not. Erik grew up in Auschwitz. Charles wants to reconcile and work with people but there are obstacles.

Etc etc etc etc etc etc.

Etc.

I understand, but I wanted marvelrobbins to pound out a response. You ruined the fun, lol. :oldrazz:

Sorry for wasting your time mate.

I have a girlfriend who does not not like MCU movies. She said they are silly and made for children. I explained to her that the X-Men franchise takes a more serious approach and deals with with real life themes. I showed her First Class and she wound up loving it and now wants to the see all the X-Men movies.

That is good to hear. I imagine for those who want a little more substance, the good X-Men movies might be more appealing, especially at first. Although I have never met in real life any person who dislikes Guardians.

I dont know if I can really agree with this. The xmen series keeps touching on the mutant racism thing to the point where it's gonna really old. Not only that, it only does those mature themes sporadically while the rest of the movie plays out pretty much like any other cbm. It kinda feels like the disingenuous "seriousness" of the dceu. Especially when it's at its worst like in Apocalypse, Origins, and 3.

Well that is why he should just focus on the good ones that use the themes very well. ;)

X1, X2, DOFP, and Logan. Even The Wolverine if you are stretching. And I'm not sure what you mean about them being disingenuous. Logan brilliantly updated the persecution storyline to make it about undocumented immigrants crossing a border. It also earned its emotional haymaker. So did Days of Future Past for a lot of people judging by these conversations. So yes, there are "Apocalypses." But lumping them all in with Man of Steel and BvS? That seems disingenuous as well.

Persecution complex. Don't worry, be happy. Have a tangerine or a fresh mint..

Captain America: Civil War.
Days of Future Past was just okay.
I found First Class to be a much better film.

Cap 3 Civil War still the best and my favourite, wait until Avengers 3 infinity war part 1 coming out...

Both were top notch, but Captain America: Civil War easily takes the cake here.

Civil War was fantastic - but this has to go to Days of Future Past.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"