X-Men: Days of Future Past vs. Captain America: Civil War

I've seen DOFP more, so I'll go with that one.

IMO this isn't even close - XMen Apocalypse is overstuffed with characters yet manages to utterly underwhelm with any of them - particularly an iconic XMen villain.

Civil War manages to develop all its characters, even those who are basically in it for an extended cameo. It juggles plots, characters and action in a way that XMA never even approaches.

The action in XMA, other than Quicksilver's scene-stealing moments, is equally underwhleming - the near destructon of the human race should feel a bit more dramatic, but Singer just can't make us care.

In contrast, ultimately Civil War boils down to friendship and betrayal it's a personal struggle, but one that draws us in. Also, the CGI is much better handled.

CW knows when to focus on the two central characters and does so in an engaging way - definitely Tony Stark's best film appearance since the first Iron Man film.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

This thread is comparing DOFP to CW not Xmen Apocalypse.

What you call characters in regards to Marvel, I call product and branding. And they are very, very good at keeping that assembly line running.

Lol what? Sorry DA but that's just too much :funny:

By that definition EVERY superhero fits the bill. Not to mention movie stars, Fox's main focus, is every bit "product and branding" as Marvel characters.

Lol what? Sorry DA but that's just too much :funny:

By that definition EVERY superhero fits the bill. Not to mention movie stars, Fox's main focus, is every bit "product and branding" as Marvel characters.

Yeah like wth? That's with any studio. Whether be it Universal, Fox, WB, Paramount etc.

Yeah like wth? That's with any studio. Whether be it Universal, Fox, WB, Paramount etc.

Absolutely, and it's especially funny because Fox is so much worse than Marvel with the "product and branding".

It's just laughable to pretend that Hugh Jackman's Wolverine is not a product or a brand that's been pushed so hard, to the point that there is nothing else to cover, over 9 movies. Or even worse JLaw as Mystique. Fassbender as well.

Does anyone really think Fox cares about its characters after the way they handled Cyclops and the rest? Wolverine, Mystique, and Magneto are not only overused, but detrimental to multiple Fox movies, and for no reason other than because of the movie stars playing them.

Accusing Marvel of only making a product or brand compared to Fox is just hilarious.

I at least liked Logan and Magneto so watching Fox continually go to the same well with those characters over and over and over was at least amusing. J Law is where I drew the line, her character is insufferable and she clearly doesn't even want to be there.

Both are great films, but I love Days of Future Past a lot more.

Absolutely, and it's especially funny because Fox is so much worse than Marvel with the "product and branding".

It's just laughable to pretend that Hugh Jackman's Wolverine is not a product or a brand that's been pushed so hard, to the point that there is nothing else to cover, over 9 movies. Or even worse JLaw as Mystique. Fassbender as well.

Does anyone really think Fox cares about its characters after the way they handled Cyclops and the rest? Wolverine, Mystique, and Magneto are not only overused, but detrimental to multiple Fox movies, and for no reason other than because of the movie stars playing them.

Treating Fox as if they're making deep art house films with the Marvel characters is ridiculous. Have they made great films? Yes. Undeniable. But they're still making product or brand like the rest of the studios. They're in it to make profit.

Accusing Marvel of only making a product or brand compared to Fox is just hilarious.

Exactly because as I recall, this happened at Fox..

fantastic-four-film-header.jpg

Until Marvel makes a film like that then maybe we can revisit the statement.

IMO this isn't even close - XMen Apocalypse is overstuffed with characters yet manages to utterly underwhelm with any of them - particularly an iconic XMen villain.

Civil War manages to develop all its characters, even those who are basically in it for an extended cameo. It juggles plots, characters and action in a way that XMA never even approaches.

The action in XMA, other than Quicksilver's scene-stealing moments, is equally underwhleming - the near destructon of the human race should feel a bit more dramatic, but Singer just can't make us care.

In contrast, ultimately Civil War boils down to friendship and betrayal it's a personal struggle, but one that draws us in. Also, the CGI is much better handled.

CW knows when to focus on the two central characters and does so in an engaging way - definitely Tony Stark's best film appearance since the first Iron Man film.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

Great that this is how you see it...what's Apocalypse got to do with this when the X-Men film in question is Days of Future Past?

I don't know how anyone can watch DOFP and not feel a huge amount of emotion as scary ass sentinels are killing mutants in the future, Magneto and Xavier say goodbye to each other, Wolverine drowns, and McAvoy acts his effing heart out to convince Mystique to not murder the man who tortured and killed her friends.

As a huge comic book fan, I think the movie adds a huge amount of depth to a comic book story that is relatively short and simple.

I didn't really care about the mutants dying the future... because once again in a Singer film, they're just cardboard cut out super powered fodder.

Since you dragged this to the other thread, I left my longer response there.

Suffice it to say here, Wolverine is a brand and a product. And in his worst movies (TLS, XOW) that is all he is. But if you think James Mangold viewed him that way or, even to a lesser extent, Bryan Singer you're wrong. They had a free hand in at least one of their movies (several in Singer's case) to really build up a human character. And he has more depth than anyone in the MCU.

Do I wish they did the same for Cyclops and Storm? Sure. Am I annoyed as a comic fan that they didn't? You bet. But as someone who likes movies, I value even more a movie that does not feel like a packaged happy meal. Logan does not feel that way. X1 and X2 do not for that matter. There are elements of it in DOFP, but its core is not that.

And for the record, I don't think every Marvel movie feels that way. Iron Man 1 and Guardians 1 didn't. But by and large, I constantly feel the plastic wrappings around Marvel movies as I watch them. And after nine years of it, I am not so grateful to be having decent superhero movies to not be vocal about it.

If they didn't all feel the same, it would be less of an issue. But that assembly line quality just makes it more pronounced as the years pass.

Acting? Nobody in the MCU compares Fasbender, Mcavoy or Mckellan. Plus the MCU holds no dramatic weight, they are have as much dramatic tension as a Sat morning cartoon.

None of those actors gave their A game performances in DOFP. I'd argue out of both movies, Robert Downey Jr. gives the best performance.

None of those actors gave their A game performances in DOFP. I'd argue out of both movies, Robert Downey Jr. gives the best performance.

McAvoy alone out acts everyone in CW in DOFP. His best work as Xavier is right there especially when he looks into Wolverine's mind

McAvoy alone out acts everyone in CW in DOFP. His best work as Xavier is right there especially when he looks into Wolverine's mind

I think DoFP is a far superior movie, but McAvoy was at his best in FC for me. He goes overboard with the melodrama in DoFP on several occasions, and that sort of thing usually disengages me. I'd agree though that he's an outstanding talent, I'd just prefer that he scale it back a bit in some cases. Singer is probably to blame for that moreso than he is, tbh.

I'd say Tony vs Steve at the end had more dramatic weight and emotion than anything in DofP.

But then, I don't really care about Singer's X-Men any more. Even with the great performances from Jackman, Fass, McAvoy, McKellen and Stewart. I guess I'm just bored of the characters now. And that's Singer's fault.

I found the ending of DOFP and several other moments in DOFP more effecting than anything in CW personally. DOFP almost had me in tears several times. CW never even got near. Though I will say it's last battle was well done.

The ending was one of the things I liked least with DoFP. It felt both nonsensical and horrible at the same time as it meant that Logan lived for decades since the events, only to basically get murdered and replaced by himself from a different reality (one that they stopped, but clearly still exists).

Does the Anna Paquin scene (re: glimpsing) in the ending montage of DOFP make anybody else laugh?

I found the ending of DOFP and several other moments in DOFP more effecting than anything in CW personally. DOFP almost had me in tears several times. CW never even got near. Though I will say it's last battle was well done.

the last act of dofp is great.intercutting 1973 and 2023 had me emontional as hell.mcavoy acts the hell out of the film.

the cap vs iron man throwdone is well done in civil war though in dofp has me more because it's fate of world and mutants in issue.

I like dofp when I first saw it. That opening scene was dope. But now I feel like it starts off strong, then it's more of the same ****. Bringing back old characters did nothing for me..didn't care about em then, don't care about em now. It's honestly just boring to be honest.

I like DOFP but I find it to be generally overrated. Used to really like it but even upon my first viewing I had some problems that I blame on Kinberg's screenplay. I never liked the whole "Kitty has time travel powers just because" and the heroin antidote that conveniently gives Xavier his legs at the expense of his powers. I also, again on my first viewing, felt that J Law phoned it in. I received some heat for that but Apocalypse just affirmed all my suspicions.

Comparatively Civil War is one of the standout MCU films, and for good reason. It manages to juggle so many characters at once, most of whom get a great moment or two in the film. You can poke holes in the story but the screenplay is arguably tighter than anything Kingberg has ever written. Doesn't hurt that it has some of the best action scenes and guest appearances in any superhero movie. I have cinephile friends who look down their nose on most every superhero property but admire the direction and choreography of both CW and Winter Soldier.

Last edited:
There's definitely a lot of details glossed over in DOFP that bug me. I would have liked to see Xavier's resurrection, Magneto's powers, Wolverine's claws, Kitty's timetravel addressed, but also understand that this amount of exposition could kill a film dead. In the end I'm glad to have the film as it is, as it might be my favourite in the genre.

Going off on a tangent, I totally would have introduced Forge as a young boy in the future. He develops a device that Kitty can use to phase through time, explaining that away. A vunerable kid is useful in a end-of-world scenario too, as far as drama goes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"