Apocalypse X-men Movie Continuity Explained!

night0205

Sidekick
Reaction score
First, we all know that Fox has been a horrible steward of the continuity of the X-men movies. No excuse or attempt at reasoning the continuity can change that.

Second, many have tried to explain the contradictions of how all the films fit together, but as a fan I haven't been satisfied with any of it. So, I came up with the only explanation that makes sense to me.

Here we go. As Days of Future Past has introduced there are different timelines that can be created through the use of time travel. However I like to think of it less of two different timelines and more like two completely different universes created through different character decisions. I'm sure you have all heard this before so let me explain where my solution differs. My solution proposes that a change in a timeline through the use of time travel does not just change the future that takes place after that decision, but also the past.

There is a theory that time is not linear, but all takes place together, and that we only experience it in a linear way. Taking this theory we can reason even a future event or decision can completely change the universe in the past, present and future. This is the only theory that can bring all X-men films into continuity.

Let me give an example at how much can change by using the character angel in the upcoming Apocalyse movie. Angel was in X-men The Last Stand as a young man, so how could he be a young man in the 80's? Simple, two different universes that even change when a person can be born. This will help explain many contradictions presented in the films. But this also gives evidence that the past can be changed, because as angel is a young man in the 80's, he must have been born before mystique didn't kill Trask, right? Meaning the changes to the universe have to effect the past as well as the future. Otherwise the soonest his birthday would have been changed would be after mystique changed the timeline.

So let's break down the movies into two completely different, yet similar, universes. Universe A includes in chronological order; X-men Origins Wolverine, X-men, X2, X-men The Last Stand, The Wolverine, and the destructive future of X-men Days of Future Past.

Mystique not killing Trask in the 70's created Universe B. Which again changed past, present and future. This includes the movies; X-men First Class, the past of X-men Days of Future Past, X-men Apocalypse, any future movie fox releases, and the safe future of X-men Days of Future Past.

Using this theory, all real contradictions are fixed. These contradictions may include the age of characters, why certain characters can walk, why certain characters aren't blue and furry, why certain characters are unaware a magical purple helmets, why characters may have met each other at different times, etc.

Give me your thoughts below, and let me know if you can think of a contradiction this theory does not resolve. Thank you. I love these movies...most of them.

First Class x Day's of Future Past x Apocalypse > Nothing else matters

First Class x Day's of Future Past x Apocalypse > Nothing else matters

Although I guess technically it is

First Class, Days of Future Past, Apocalypse, DeadPool, Wolverine 3

That's the easiest way to explain it. I just see it as two timelines now. Old timeline and new timeline. I consider the new timeline cannon. That is how I explain it to people who are new to X-Men movies.

But yes looking at the movies as two different universes is the best way to solve the continuity errors.

Last edited:
I'm not a stickler for continuity (I am a firm believer of picking and choosing your personal headcanon) but wouldn't a related but simpler alternative to your theory is that we now have 3 different universes?

Universe A: X-Men Origins Wolverine, X1, X2, X3, The Wolverine, DOFP (future scenes)

Universe B: First Class, pre-Mystique killing Trask DOFP

Universe C (created from Wolverine time travelling from A to B and changing events): The rest of DOFP, X:A, Deadpool, DOFP safe future

This theory has roots in comic lore, when Kitty Pryde accidentally time traveled to Earth 616 rather than the past of her own Earth in Days of Future Past.

I have trouble wrapping my head around the idea that Mystique not killing Trask would change events so that the events of First Class became a reality, when everything that led up to her attempt to murder Trask and subsequent decision not to is rooted in FC.

Last edited:
You could view it as 3 universes, but that leaves a universe without a point. There is no point to the universe that first class began (while in reality that is exactly what fox has made it). When you watch the movies through, and then you see first class with multiple blatant contradictions...to just label it another universe doesn't play into the story, nor does it make sense.

Now again, fox purposely broke it, then pretended like they didn't, but let me explain how I view first class within the constraints of my theory.

Take it from when you first watch first class. As you view the movie, the contradictions pop up. Professor X and Magneto didn't meet when they were 17. Moira's age doesn't fit into The Last Stand. Professor X loses his legs. Beast turns blue before X2. Etc. with my theory you would be watching a movie that doesn't seem to make sense, but when you see days of future past, you realize why. The whole time you had been in a different universe, because of mystique not killing Trask. A universe whose mystique is developed in such a way that she wouldn't kill Trask. A different mystique then the other universe, because the whole time you've been watching a universe that has changed. It changed the future, but also the past. With my theory, we would never know what mystique was like, because she was always destined to not kill Trask. The mystique from X1-3 would kill Trask, but that's the original universe. If that makes sense.

Even thought I'm a bit fed up with continuity discussions, I also justify the problems that first Class created in the same way. If First Class is part of the reset timeline/Universe B, but was slightly different in the original timeline, then things just work out a lot better. Then again these things don't really bother me. :p

My advice and speculation is how the films should be viewed

post credit scene of DOFP
possable prologue of apocalypse
First class
hellfire show if it gets picked up
1973 scenes of DOFP
1983 scenes of Apocalypse
Gambit
the new mutants
Legion TV show if it gets picked up
Deadpool
2023 ending of DOFP
untitled wolverine film

I think there have become two type of fans. One type wants to be selective of which films they like, discounting the ones they hate. And fans like me grew up on the first X-men movie, and like the continuity of all films so far, but I am hesitant of future films and tv shows.

First, I doubt the tv shows will be in same universe... They could be, but I think the continuity will get even more messed up if they are. The future movies I think will also get more messy for one simple reason, casting.

Deadpool has shown that the look and casting of colossus doesn't matter. With that it seems difficult to include that. It may seem picky but we already saw colossus in end of dofp. However, I don't know what time period deadpool takes place in. We are also at the point in the movies where older Mcavoy and younger Stewart become the same person...right smack in the 80's. Now with the different universes that isn't that big of deal, but we will see.

I understand that people want franchises to continue...mainly studios for the money, but I would like an ending to this X-men universe. Then they can reboot if they like. Now, they will most likely recast and pretend that it is fine...but that also messes up continuity.

Gambit? Deadpool? New mutants? I'm not sure about. I'm looking forward to apocalypse and wolverine 3, but as the franchise continues you begin to overstretch things. I feel the same way about mcu, a planned ending is always good for the franchise. Sadly I doubt that will happen.

My advice and speculation is how the films should be viewed

post credit scene of DOFP
possable prologue of apocalypse
Kid Wolverine scenes of X-Men Origins: Wolverine
War montage of X-Men Origins: Wolverine
The atomic bomb scene of The Wolverine
First class
hellfire show if it gets picked up
1973 scenes of DOFP
1983 scenes of Apocalypse
Gambit
the new mutants
Legion TV show if it gets picked up
Deadpool
2023 ending of DOFP
untitled wolverine film

Fixed.

I'm so glad I don't have ocd, haha.

but seriously, with the knowledge that time travel exists in the universe, everything can technically make sense if you really want it to. Who's to say there aren't other mutants like Kitty Pride messing with time everyday?

but seriously, with the knowledge that time travel exists in the universe, everything can technically make sense if you really want it to. Who's to say there aren't other mutants like Kitty Pride messing with time everyday?

best explanation ever

Best explanation for me is that the OT trilogy never existed in the first place. FC was the first X-Men film that ever happened. I might glance over some old X-films browsing the TV set and landing on FX or wherever, but I have no interest watching the trilogy or even parts of it. None of it feels relevant or can grab me emotionally. Even the Jean Grey death, one of the most powerful scenes I can ever remember, loses some luster for me. I can tolerate The Wolverine because that seems to be it's own separately contained story that has nothing to do with anything.

X-Men feels a bit dated. Dialogue and story are still entertaining, but it would be laughed out of the building if you released a similar big budget movie today. Good for its time. X2 is phenomenal story and writing wise, but honestly, I can use a novelization of it and that would suffice. The film gives you nothing visually sans a couple sequences. X3... we know how that one turned out.

First Class is my reboot. I really hope they bring back some characters like Emma Frost and Banshee, but other than that, I have to look at both as completely separate trilogies that have nothing to do with one another. I am hoping Wolverine 3 can salvage some of the remnants from the OT that worked, and incorporate that into the FC trilogy. But this is basically Tim Burton versus the Nolan universe... with the same director. But from a continuity standpoint, that's how I see it.

Last edited:
If OT never existed, then DOFP never existed too. Logic.
FC->Apocalypse

OT exists, it's just different timeline right now.

Yeah, I've had that same thought in the past. Or the future.

I still think people being older or younger makes no f***ing sense whatsoever
that would mean whatever change was made (eg mystique not killing trask) altered all of history making angel's parents older, their parents older, and so on all the way back. Add to that the improbability of the right genetic material combining to create the same exact person but at a different point in time; it just doesn't work.

The only way I can make the continuity of these movies roughly work is...
xo:w>x1>x2>x3
separate from
fc>dofp>X:a

then The Wolverine and the future scenes of DOFP are just their own thing; it looked like Logan, Storm, Bobby, etc. but they weren't the same characters from X3

Well we all know that everyone has the right to view it however they want, but time travel and alternate timelines isn't exactly foreign to X-men in the comics/tv series. I thought Dofp was gutsy and bold. It worked, and while we all have opinions, the creators of the films purposely fit the franchise together. Even though they didn't care when Fc came out. However wanting to pretend certain movies in a franchise don't exist is something I've done as well.

Mind blown.

This is a really good point. We know from the comics that there are numerous time travelling mutants. So pretty much every X-Men movie can be set in a different timeline. The end of DOFP could mean nothing in another movie.

We know that original timeline is composed of FC - Original 1973 without Logan - Origins - X1 X2 X3 - The wolverine - Original 2023 before Logan's time travel
altered timeline contents FC - DOFP - Apocalypse - Deadpool - Gambit - Wolverine 3 - new 2023
but we dont know how Erik escaped from prison, Mystique escaped from Labo and what happened to Havok in 70's original timeline

We know that original timeline is composed of FC - Original 1973 without Logan - Origins - X1 X2 X3 - The wolverine - Original 2023 before Logan's time travel
altered timeline contents FC - DOFP - Apocalypse - Deadpool - Gambit - Wolverine 3 - new 2023
but we dont know how Erik escaped from prison, Mystique escaped from Labo and what happened to Havok in 70's original timeline

We also don't know how Xavier snapped out of his depression long enough to rescue Cyclops and meet Jean Grey. Not to mention, what were Beast and Moira McTaggert doing in the original timeline.

I still think people being older or younger makes no f***ing sense whatsoever
that would mean whatever change was made (eg mystique not killing trask) altered all of history making angel's parents older, their parents older, and so on all the way back. Add to that the improbability of the right genetic material combining to create the same exact person but at a different point in time; it just doesn't work.

The only way I can make the continuity of these movies roughly work is...
xo:w>x1>x2>x3
separate from
fc>dofp>X:a

then The Wolverine and the future scenes of DOFP are just their own thing; it looked like Logan, Storm, Bobby, etc. but they weren't the same characters from X3

Yup, once they started consistently doing this, be it Angel, Jubilee, hell even Moira (and while I can understand ignoring minor characters), it still doesn't make sense. FC trilogy is another X-Men story entirely that happened to use some original actors. Why Singer decided he had to start from scratch I have no idea... maybe he wanted a fresh start? Maybe it was the only way he could get out from under X3 and Origins. Maybe he just felt he didn't get certain things right and wanted a do over... regardless, it's a completely separate trilogy and it's not the same continuity as the OT.

I'm just so curious as to what Wolverine 3 will be about and what continuity they adhere more closely to. Will they bring back additional OT actors? Will they reference the OT even though it never happened (besides Wolverine's memories of the old timeline memories). Regardless, I have no feelings of nostalgia and it's probably best they leave out the original actors as much as the story allows for it. I am not advocating recasting at this point, especially if it takes place in the future, but I really have no interest following events or follow ups to the original trilogy.

Last edited:
Yup, once they started consistently doing this, be it Angel, Jubilee, hell even Moira (and while I can understand ignoring minor characters), it still doesn't make sense. FC trilogy is another X-Men story entirely that happened to use some original actors. Why Singer decided he had to start from scratch I have no idea... maybe he wanted a fresh start? Maybe it was the only way he could get out from under X3 and Origins. Maybe he just felt he didn't get certain things right and wanted a do over... regardless, it's a completely separate trilogy and it's not the same continuity as the OT.

I'm just so curious as to what Wolverine 3 will be about and what continuity they adhere more closely to. Will they bring back additional OT actors? Will they reference the OT even though it never happened (besides Wolverine's memories of the old timeline memories). Regardless, I have no feelings of nostalgia and it's probably best they leave out the original actors as much as the story allows for it. I am not advocating recasting at this point, especially if it takes place in the future, but I really have no interest following events or follow ups to the original trilogy.
wolverine solo is likely followup to future ending of DOFP.I refuse to call it wolverine 3 since first 2 wolverine films like trilogy has been erased.

I really wish they would have just let Bryan singer say last stand and origins
never happened wish as i suspect he wanted to do with first class but having the wolverine tie into Last stand killed that and they wanted to try to merge
all the films together with DOFP.

I can buy first class as prequel to X-Men and x2 but i just can't buy it as prequel to last stand.they never really resolved the xavier was walking at begining of last stand.then it's impossible for moira in both FC and Last stand to be same character.

There is noway Apocalypse leads into original films.so i don't know what they are doing when they claim APocalypse is culmination of 6 films.Singer says several times on DOFP audio commantary that time travel of DOFP erased the films.Jubilee is all the proof you need of this.

I really wish they would have just let Bryan singer say last stand and origins
never happened wish as i suspect he wanted to do with first class but having the wolverine tie into Last stand killed that and they wanted to try to merge
all the films together with DOFP.

I am pretty sure bryan wasn't trying to ignore X3 since the only reason we got beast in FC was because we couldn't tell how old he was in X3 and thats pretty much the reason why bryan felt he could use him

I can buy first class as prequel to X-Men and x2 but i just can't buy it as prequel to last stand.they never really resolved the xavier was walking at begining of last stand.then it's impossible for moira in both FC and Last stand to be same character.

Xavier and Magneto didn't meet at 17 like X1 said either though

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"