X-Men vs. The Matrix

TimDrake64x

Sidekick
Reaction score
my friends and i were having a discussion about which of these franchises as a whole is the best. now i know that x3 comes out next month, but please just go by what we have seen of x3 and what we expect. also please tell y u picked the franchise that u did

Matrix was convoluted and lame. Plus it had Keanu. Nuff said!

Matrix - B/C right now the first one alone is better than anything the x-franchise has put out! Plus, X-Men shouldn't have to be stuffed into Trilogy territory. We all know that's crap!

Second - Both Matrix sequels are better overall than the original X-movie, and people can blame it on anything they want to but it's true (for me, i know its my opinion)

Third - We just don't know how good X3 is till it comes out. End of argument.

ha, i dont think its the end since most of ur agruments were opinions.

and come on dude, ur saying that reloaded is better x2 and x1. thats just crap. ill give u taht the 1st matrix is better than the 1st x-men. but i think that the matrix sequels will ultimatly bring it down and that the x-sequels are better (or x3 will be better but thats still up in the air)

and u didnt vote

TimDrake64x said:
ha, i dont think its the end since most of ur agruments were opinions.

and come on dude, ur saying that reloaded is better x2 and x1. thats just crap. ill give u taht the 1st matrix is better than the 1st x-men. but i think that the matrix sequels will ultimatly bring it down and that the x-sequels are better (or x3 will be better but thats still up in the air)

and u didnt vote

Come on now, did u skim over what i wrote? I didn't say anything about Reloaded being better than x2! I said both sequels...well it's right there!

I don't have a bad thing to say about X2, it's up there w/BB as the best comic movies ever! But the original highly dissappointed (no one can argue its length (lack thereof) and minimal characterization (exception: wolverine/magneto).

As individual movies, The Matrix was better than X-Men 1. But as a series, X-Men thus far has been much better.

The original Matrix ****s over X1 and 2 and will likely **** over 3 as well. Matrix sequels are also better than the first X-men film which was pants

The original Matrix was pure brilliance. The sequels effectively took a shat on anything good about that movie. X-men takes it.

Matrix puts the X-Men away... Matrix was bigger, badder, longer and deeper with a more well developed cast... yes it threw away it's main plot point for movies 2 and 3, but it was still great movie watching... X1 and X2 were okay, X3 may be so jawdroppingly awesome to put these series on even ground, but Matrix 2 and 3 eat up X1 and X2 every day of the week... for every Nightcrawler assault there's a burly brawl... for every "heartfelt" moment with Logan there's a subtle reference to the meaning of life... for every zion orgy there's a Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Sabertooth and Lady Deathstrike, painfully undeveloped, misdeveloped stooge slaps in comicdoms faces...

jaydawg said:
The original Matrix was pure brilliance. The sequels effectively took a shat on anything good about that movie. X-men takes it.

this guy pretty much sums up for i think most people feel about it

GL1 said:
Matrix puts the X-Men away... Matrix was bigger, badder, longer and deeper with a more well developed cast... yes it threw away it's main plot point for movies 2 and 3, but it was still great movie watching... X1 and X2 were okay, X3 may be so jawdroppingly awesome to put these series on even ground, but Matrix 2 and 3 eat up X1 and X2 every day of the week... for every Nightcrawler assault there's a burly brawl... for every "heartfelt" moment with Logan there's a subtle reference to the meaning of life... for every zion orgy there's a Cyclops, Storm, Rogue, Sabertooth and Lady Deathstrike, painfully undeveloped, misdeveloped stooge slaps in comicdoms faces...

NO, I'd think most agree with this whether they want to or not! otherwise, i'd say you're a x-men fanboy and can't leave your bias at the doorstep!

jaydawg said:

Exactly. I hope X3 isn't a Revolutions....:(

Lame.

As good as the X movies are....it's The Matrix, y'know.

The Matrix was amazing. The sequels however, were not.

The third Matrix film killed it for me. The FX, considered groundbreaking at the time, were run into the ground by parody & imitation. X-Men is just a far more interesting storyline to me. It has relevance in the real world, more interesting characters, MAKES MORE SENSE, & is not all dependent on one man.

Prognosticator said:
NO, I'd think most agree with this whether they want to or not! otherwise, i'd say you're a x-men fanboy and can't leave your bias at the doorstep!

it really doesnt have anything to do with being fan boy. and actually im more partial to dc characters like batman and superman ect. and dont like most marvel stuff. but x-men was just a very well done franchise (especially if they end it with the 3rd one), i just think that the message is better and there r much deeper meanings in x-men than in the matrix.

also y would most agree with that "whether they want to or not" if they want to they will agree with it, if they dont then they dont. but i think the poll speaks for itself

I know i'm practically alone in stating this, but all 3 Matrix films are some of my favorite films ever. I've always been a huge Matrix fan, and it pains me to know that some of my favorite films (the sequels specifically) are practically universally hated.

As for X-Men, I really like the first two, and the third looks great, although i'm worried about the lack of Cyclops. In every poster he's hidden in the back, and he has like 2 seconds in the trailer. He didnt' even get a character one-sheet poster. I read a script review a long while back that said
both Professor X and Cyclops are killed by Pheonix, Cyclops's death being fairly early on. If that's true, i'll be pissed. How can you kill off the two leaders of the X-Men. Who's gonna lead them after that? Storm!?! I'll bet this is Halle Berry's doing....

TimDrake64x said:
it really doesnt have anything to do with being fan boy. and actually im more partial to dc characters like batman and superman ect. and dont like most marvel stuff. but x-men was just a very well done franchise (especially if they end it with the 3rd one), i just think that the message is better and there r much deeper meanings in x-men than in the matrix.

also y would most agree with that "whether they want to or not" if they want to they will agree with it, if they dont then they dont. but i think the poll speaks for itself

Well, he was actually saying that X-Men fans are in denial and simply like X-Men more, which would be reflected in the pole, rather than the actual quality or entertainment value of the movie is concerned.

It's like when I was a kid. Shawshank Redemption is a VASTLY superior movie to Batman: Mask of The Phantasm (also GREAT), but because I enjoy Batman, I enjoyed and think more highly of MoTP. If you put them on a pole, I would think more highly of the lesser movie, and defend it's quality. Same thing is happening here.

The Matrix movies OBVIOUSLY had MUCH more meaning, and deeper meanings within it, but because the comic book movie forum thinks more highly of X-Men in general, the X-Men movies are rated more highly here, regardless of quality.

I am somehow free to act independently of such bias. Who knows why. I can certainly acknowledge that Matrix 2 and 3 were inferior to The Matrix (1), which changed the face of hollywood action, shoved John Woo into the mainstream, and provided more than a little inspiration for the entire X-Men franchise. At no point can I come up with any reason why X-Men (1) is superior to any Matrix movie in any way whatsover. I cannot find any scenes, plot points or design points better than those found in the Matrix franchise. X2 the same. There are some standout action sequences, but nothing compared to the craziness lauded in Matrix: Reloaded.

Like Prognosticator, I beleive that the only reason to value the X-Men movie franchise over the Matrix franchise lies in devotion to the X-Men comic book franchise, not in the quality of the movies.

I disagree. Not all fans of the X-Men movies have our heads just buried in the sand & won't listen to anything else. That's a very narrow-minded point of view.

As a cyberpunk fan, I found The Matrix to be convoluted, contrived, and pretty shallow. It went to great lengths to sound deep, but in the end it was just formulaic action with quasi-philosophical one liners, and nice special effects. Even all the Gnostic references couldn't make me like the film. At the end of the day, I'd rather watch Blade Runner or Ghost In The Shell. X-Men on the other hand has had very human stories with strong metaphors that (for the most part) speak for themselves. X-Men wins easily in my book.

Chris Wallace said:
I disagree. Not all fans of the X-Men movies have our heads just buried in the sand & won't listen to anything else. That's a very narrow-minded point of view.

You overstate my point. X-Men is a high quality franchise. The actual quality of the film is definitely a factor in it leading this pole (of course), I'm simply suggesting that a general love for X-Men in general is an equal or greater factor.

While there are certainly some who generally like the X-Men franchise more, (I for instance, as an X-Men fan, prefer the Hulk movie to X-Men 1 or 2 everyday of the week) I simply feel that most of the favoritism is due to the X-Men mythos, not to anything notable the actors or filmmakers did.

I could be wrong of course, however, my point, due to the nature of motivation and polling cannot easily be proven true or false. Even if every polled member spoke their mind, it doesn't prove their actual motivation, especially since motivations for preferences are often hidden from the prefferer, much less the poller.

If it was a question of what (singular) film was better, I'd say The Matrix by a pretty good margin. But the rather intolerable sequels have tarnished the Matrix franchise quite a bit, while the X-Men series stayed strong, and even improved, with X2. Even if X3 is mediocre to bad, the X-Movies will still have one good movie more than the Matrix, IMO.

And as for GL1's point, I must say, I'm pretty free of bias in this particular matter; while I am quite a big X-Men fan, I'm, for various reasons, hardly that enamored with the movies, so I'd have no problem voting against them if they were facing a truly worthy opponent, but I just believe the Matrix sequels to be two pretty bad movies.

I love all three Matrix films.

I love the first half of X2.

Matrix and Reloaded are amazing films. Revolutions dropped the ball(Even then, awesome visuals).

X1 is balls. X2 fumbles the third act.

I would put Revolutions on par with X1, but for different reasons. Even then, I still enjoy watching Revolutions- even if I was dissapointed. I enjoy it more than X1.

Hands down, The Matrix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"