X3:#1 Anticpated Movie

i am not trolling, i was simply going after those who were attacking superman, at least my claims have merit.

Seen said:
It was misleading. It had people thinking it was an actual teaser trailer, but in fact it was...just some re-used footage and Wolverine screaming from X2.

Yawn.
:confused: That was never intended to be a teaser trailer, it was just the intro to the teaser site.

Weadazoid said:
wow....

If the back and forth DC(Superman) vs Marvel (X Men) tripe is this bad right now..........

THINK OF HOW MUCH FUN it is going to be in say.... APRIL...

ahhh I love these boards, not that I would encourage flameing or trolling, but I like the confrontational power two superhoer movies create.

Kind a reminds me of the Rock vs Stone Cold.

Both are going to be good movies If X men makes huge amounts in the box office DC Superfans will be calling for huge amounts from Superman Returns.

On some of the subjects at hand

The Site luanch for X Men 3 was cooler then theSuperman site which was ..pretty plane, most realized it was a teaser site not a site for a teaser trailer

The Superman returns Trailer showed off cinematography... and it looked pretty cool IMO

The X men Trialer will be dubed by hardcore Superman fans as playing to the lowest comon denominator..... that it is all action and blows the X mens wad so to speak to early.

X fans are gonna love it, it is going to be nashing high quality fighting and the stuff we have all been waitning for.

X men fans say the Superman trailer is boreing

Superman fans are going to say the X men trailer is cheep eye candy

The lines are being formed in the sad now

WAR

breaks out in March and April...bank on it!

Well ,you have a point there will be a "war" ..when i see the comments of guys like blade shade on the superman boards i have little doubts on my minds that there will one..

But, Really? it's what you call fun?

Well to each their own..Personnally i find it kind of sad..but that's me..

By the way i am an first an Xmen Fan but i loved the Superman teaser..

so if i love the Xmen teaser (or even if i hate it) hmm it will be kind of difficult to put me in one of your lines don't you think? ;)

I hope that people will not forget that one it's only movies, two , well, to each their own ..

bgshw44 said:
i am not trolling, i was simply going after those who were attacking superman, at least my claims have merit.

I said you were borderline trolling. Your tone in that one post made it look like you were trying to start something.

You cannot expect to enter the X-Men forum saying the things you were saying in the way you were saying without being accused of borderline trolling.

And I also don't recall anyone "attacking" Superman either. Some stated they weren't pleased by the trailer. Nobody said "Superman blowz", did they?

My friends, I apologize for my delay in response...the boards have been incredibly difficult for me to access lately and I am just now getting back on! :rolleyes:

Jan Irisi said:
I said you were borderline trolling. Your tone in that one post made it look like you were trying to start something.

You cannot expect to enter the X-Men forum saying the things you were saying in the way you were saying without being accused of borderline trolling.

And I also don't recall anyone "attacking" Superman either. Some stated they weren't pleased by the trailer. Nobody said "Superman blowz", did they?

Lol, well I kinda did.

Ahh...and so the phantom zone has been cracked. :cool:

Welcome back Lord Magnus.

Seen said:
It was misleading. It had people thinking it was an actual teaser trailer, but in fact it was...just some re-used footage and Wolverine screaming from X2.

Yawn.

It was not misleading in the least! If FOX was releasing a trailer there would have been a press announcment heralding it. Period. All of FOX's comic film websites have animated intros--it is not a new concept.

Anyone who was "duped" into believing that that 10 second blip was meant to be a trailer was looking to pull straws. The standard FOX teaser trailer is 1:30 seconds...and that hardly qualifies.

Seen said:
Funny, as I've seen you post indicating that you have little to no interest in the new Superman film.

And that lack of interest is due to the fact that it doesn't look appealing to me. It is perfectly possible to hope the best for a franchise and yet still be dissapointed with what is released as the result. That is happening here...and that reaction is shared by a great many people--it's not unique to me.

Seen said:
Why wouldn't I be? Because my opinion differs from yours?

No. It is because I've seen it shown on two different screens at two different theatres and the reaction was nothing like that from what I've witnessed. In fact, I just returned from the comic store tonight and you'd be dissapointed to hear the conversations about the trailer amongst the consumers there:

*The store owner said things about it that I cannot type here.

*His assistant said the costume looks like fecal matter (for lack of a better term), and that he will not see it.

*One customer said it looks "awesome" and "it's going to be a great film."

*Three other guys in the same store laughed at this, and the store owner added that fans have been telling him all week that the best part of the trailer was the Mailbox that had "Kent" displayed on the side.

That's five men who said it looked terrible. I was basically neutral--I didn't offer my opinion because I wasn't part of the convo, and another woman in the store had nothing to say about it either. And of course, we had one guy who felt it looked good. That's 5 to 1. If this is the cross section of response in this area, is it little wonder that I said the reaction has been mixed and lukewarm at best?

Seen said:
The audience that makes a comic-book film successful is not drawn from actual comic-book fans, but a wide general audience.

And the usual demographic that watches action-adventure movies, such as SUPERMAN RETURNS, are mostly teenager and younger males. Old 60 year-old fanboys make up for a very miniscule amount of comic-book film's audiences, and critics are usually, for the most part, regular reviewers who judge a film soley based on the cinematic material. Fans judge it based on authencity to the source material.

Miniscule? My dear, these men are the ones who introduced and predudiced their own sons and grandsons on the Donner films. We are of that generation. Only a fool would discount their impact on the bottom line. And if Superman Returns proves to be an actionless, cerebral Hulk-like feature, do you honestly believe the kiddies will be entertained enough to stick around past one showing? Like I said, WB and Singer better hope that they reach the Reeve's generation--they are going to be the biggest voices in comparing Routh to Reeve and their influence will be felt in the overall audience reception. It floors me that you would ignorantly count their impact of little value.

Seen said:
You must not be familar with the production, as it borrows heavily from the Donner films and early Superman comics as you so nobly say are a requirement for older fanboys to enjoy the new movie.

My voice is not well-known on the Supes board....because I have had very little to say in a positive manner about the production. But I am well aware of every development with that production. I've watched every blog and kept abreast of all updates.

And while it is clear that this SR is going to be heavily influenced by the continuity of Donner's films, my fear is that very approach may also prove to be a major achilles heel for the franchise. Why? Because as so many have said (both young and old fans--including my father :cool: ) it shows a lack of creativity and originality--especially in an era where moviegoing audiences are tiring of regurgitated remakes. As one of the guys in the comic store stated, "it looks lazy."

And we won't even mention the misgivings surrounding Mr. Routh's acting prowess.

Seen said:
Singer's retro approach, in not only paying homages to the George Reeves TV show, the Reeve films, and other iconic Superman stories (EXILE, KINGDOM COME, etc.), is very faithful. It also represents core elements of Superman's character and mythology in the form of Superman returning from many years aboard and having to deal with a changed world...a world very similar to our own contemporary world.

Singer isn't planning on "dissing" them, but the hardcore, old fanboy purists are in no way his main audience.

Faithful? Many would disagree with you. But we'll shall see...we shall definitely see. Ang Lee had similar goals for a certain superhero franchise he tried to launch as well.:o

Jan Irisi said:

I apologise, its just that i dont think people understand the scale of this movie, its not just a summer blockbuster, it really has the making of an epic movie

Jan Irisi said:

I apologise, its just that i dont think people understand the scale of this movie, its not just a summer blockbuster, it really has the making of an epic movie

bgshw44 said:

Either that, or maybe some people do "understand"...and some Supe fans are overestimating it?

As far as it being epic...let's remember, the director also helmed X1 and X2. Were they "epic" too? Leopards don't change spots miraculously you know. :cool:

Looks like by april a lot of people will be added to my near empty Ignore list :(

snwboarder88 said:
as of right now...i do. i hate the way singer has made the film look old and i hate the superman suit and general feel for the movie, him jumping ship aside, im just not excited about it. so yes, i hope x3 does better

Same here. From casting to the leaked storyline to the teaser, Superman looks awful to me.

Not only am I anticipating X3 more, I'm counting on it to be a far better film.

Lightning Strikez! said:
It was not misleading in the least! If FOX was releasing a trailer there would have been a press announcment heralding it. Period. All of FOX's comic film websites have animated intros--it is not a new concept.

Sorry if not everyone is familar with FOX's schedule and how they function. And there was rumors that a teaser trailer would show on the X3 site, heck, it even SAID "teaser trailer" until it was fixed, but by then all the damage was done.

And everyone who saw it (people at TrekBBS, ComingSoon, etc.) and friends of mine all collectively agreed it was WEAK.

You can't deny that. :)

Anyone who was "duped" into believing that that 10 second blip was meant to be a trailer was looking to pull straws. The standard FOX teaser trailer is 1:30 seconds...and that hardly qualifies.

It began just like a trailer. When it was over, all of my friends and I were like "WTF?!?". Lame. And again, I'm not a FOX techo-wizard like yourself. And neither is a vast majority of the audience.

And that lack of interest is due to the fact that it doesn't look appealing to me.

You mean you are thinking people aren't interested because you simply don't like the film or don't want it to succeed?

That's where I'm getting.

It is perfectly possible to hope the best for a franchise and yet still be dissapointed with what is released as the result. That is happening here...and that reaction is shared by a great many people--it's not unique to me.

Can you list the people then? Because most people CANNOT wait for this new Superman movie...they think it will rock. Your distorted view on things, unfortunately, fall into the minority.

No. It is because I've seen it shown on two different screens at two different theatres and the reaction was nothing like that from what I've witnessed. In fact, I just returned from the comic store tonight and you'd be dissapointed to hear the conversations about the trailer amongst the consumers there:

Interesting. You don't have interest in the new Superman film...you said it doesn't appeal to you...and LOOK, you magically have subjects to back up your claims!

How predictable.

*The store owner said things about it that I cannot type here.

Why, are you afraid us board members will cry? Or get hugely upset for no apparent reason? Sounds like it.

*His assistant said the costume looks like fecal matter (for lack of a better term), and that he will not see it.

His assistant said the costume looks bad so he's not seeing the movie? That's the dumbest f.u.c.k.ing arguement I've ever heard.

If that was the case, I wouldn't have seen half if not more of Marvel's films. But I happen to judge films based on quality, not a friggin' costume. Damn, that's pathetic.

*One customer said it looks "awesome" and "it's going to be a great film."

Cool.

*Three other guys in the same store laughed at this, and the store owner added that fans have been telling him all week that the best part of the trailer was the Mailbox that had "Kent" displayed on the side.

Okay, he must not like classic Superman visuals. That's perfectly understandable. He musn't be that into Superman.

That's five men who said it looked terrible.

Great, five men. I'm totally convinced SUPERMAN RETURNS is going to suck now. Thanks!

I was basically neutral--I didn't offer my opinion because I wasn't part of the convo, and another woman in the store had nothing to say about it either. And of course, we had one guy who felt it looked good. That's 5 to 1. If this is the cross section of response in this area, is it little wonder that I said the reaction has been mixed and lukewarm at best?

So you're judging your opinion based on what five people said? When probably millions saw the trailer. Riighhttt...

Miniscule? My dear, these men are the ones who introduced and predudiced their own sons and grandsons on the Donner films. We are of that generation. Only a fool would discount their impact on the bottom line.

You know calling me "dear" was sort of creepy. I wouldn't mind "son" but "dear" just sounds...weird.

Anyway, how many millions and millions of you guys are out there? You are a generation, eh? So do you have fan clubs or anything? Do you hold conventions? I mean, you must be a pretty big group to influence a film that MILLIONS of people will see, am I right?

And if Superman Returns proves to be an actionless, cerebral Hulk-like feature, do you honestly believe the kiddies will be entertained enough to stick around past one showing?

No, there'll be action. Justin from BLUETIGHTS said the action sequences in this film will make Spidey look BORING, and this guy actually has met Bryan Singer, so I'll take his word over yours.

And did you read the latest report? They said something about 20 minute airplane sequence...yeah, doubt it'll be lackluster in that department...

Like I said, WB and Singer better hope that they reach the Reeve's generation--they are going to be the biggest voices in comparing Routh to Reeve and their influence will be felt in the overall audience reception. It floors me that you would ignorantly count their impact of little value.

I hope you didn't hit your head on the way down, since Reeve fans do not make the majority of the Superman fanbase and are clearly not a big number in the MILLIONS of people who will see the film.

My voice is not well-known on the Supes board....because I have had very little to say in a positive manner about the production. But I am well aware of every development with that production. I've watched every blog and kept abreast of all updates.

You should post more often. I post here, and intend to frequent more often, and I'm so-so on X3 right now. Some of it looks good, a lot of it looks horrible. But I'm voicing my opinion constructively. You shouldn't feel discouraged to do so also, unless you fear the wraith of the fans. ;)

And while it is clear that this SR is going to be heavily influenced by the continuity of Donner's films, my fear is that very approach may also prove to be a major achilles heel for the franchise. Why? Because as so many have said (both young and old fans--including my father :cool: ) it shows a lack of creativity and originality--especially in an era where moviegoing audiences are tiring of regurgitated remakes. As one of the guys in the comic store stated, "it looks lazy."

Didn't you say you were a big fan of the Reeve films and that you are going to compare and the Reeve fans are a big audience yadda yadda yadda?

Also, you need to get this inside your head: Singer's film isn't heavily influenced by Donner's film. It's using his origin film as vague history, to quote Dan Harris himself, as the "archtypal origin" story it doesn't need to be messed with. And since you've supposedly watched all the blogs, you should know this. Harris says it in the blog "Untitled".

Also, Singer's film will have many new elements. As much

1) The retro look. Donner's version had New York standing in for Metropolis. Singer's version is very retro-inspired and completely different.

2)Brand new story. This is a return story, of when a superhero leaves Earth, unarguably comic-book's greatest superhero, and the effect that has on Metropolis and the world, which has become far more violent and destructive, emulating our own contemporary society. Singer is telling an allegorical tale -- something he achieved in his X-Men films. None of Donner's films did this, or the subsequent installments. And it really touches on core Superman ideals.

3) Menacing Lex Luthor. Gene Hackman's portrayal was so campy and a deviation from the comics that Kevin Spacey's characterization is sure to bring back Luthor from the man who know all to well from the mythos.

4) New cast, new crew, new characters (such as Ben Hubbard, Richard White, et al) who were not in previous Superman films, new plot, new sets, new costumes, new etc. etc.

Need I continue? Besides the basic influences that Singer is taking from Donner's origin film, which he's just utilizing as a springboard for his film, what other elements is he including (besides Williams' theme, which is so damn iconic people would immediately complain if it wasn't included)?

None. This is Bryan Singer's Superman movie -- with homages not only to Richard Donner's epic, but to countless other Superman stories combined.

And sequels, these days, are as depised as remakes -- which Superman isn't, actually. It's a restart of the franchise much like the succeessful BATMAN BEGINS, but instead of re-exploring Superman's origins we're going further in his story. But it's still a restart.

And that formula worked great for Batman. What makes you think it won't subsequently work for Superman?

And we won't even mention the misgivings surrounding Mr. Routh's acting prowess.

Have you seen Routh act? At all? That's just more pathetic misjudgment on your part unfortunately.

Faithful? Many would disagree with you. But we'll shall see...we shall definitely see. Ang Lee had similar goals for a certain superhero franchise he tried to launch as well.:o

Many? As in who? Most of SHH are flooded with positive thoughts regarding the film. There are some that disagree, but the same bodes for any comic-book film, including X3. Many general audiences, other fans, and Superman fans in particular are looking forward to the newest Superman film in nearly two decades. No matter what anyone thinks, it will be huge and people will flock to see it...prematurely hating it or not, it's Superman and it has a BIG audience.

Also, I find it funny that you compare Bryan Singer to Ang Lee when Singer has two previous comic-book adaptations to his belt that have been critical and box office hits. So much luck is on his side that he'll turn SUPERMAN RETURNS into the next big thing.

Lightning Strikez! said:
Either that, or maybe some people do "understand"...and some Supe fans are overestimating it?

I'd say some X-Men fans are overestimating X3, but that's just my summation.

As far as it being epic...let's remember, the director also helmed X1 and X2. Were they "epic" too? Leopards don't change spots miraculously you know. :cool:

Everything about this film screams epic...the budget (exceeding well over $200 million), the sets, the filming schedule (nearly a year long!), the special effects, and the teaser clearly gave you a glimpse of that.

And what has Brett Ratner done that proves he can tackle an allegedly epic movie like X3? Hmm?

Its clear you feel you need to defend Superman, while collectively trying to bash Xmen. I used to be big fan of the original movies. I actually thought the teaser was pretty good, but I'm big movie fan in general and everyone I've talked to that has seen it, which the majority are not fanboys, really didn't like it.

I've seen the blogs and everything with superman, and of course been keeping up with the latest on X-men, but you don't know really anymore what happens in superman than we know with X-men. It could very well be good, as the director made two very good previous films imo. But just as easily it could be very bad, which I hope it isn't. In the same vein I hope and believe that X3 will turn out to be great with Ratner, especially with all the talent working on the film, but I won't list flaws such as a much too young looking supes to crap on that film.

Supreme Power said:
Its clear you feel you need to defend Superman, while collectively trying to bash Xmen.

How am I bashing the X-Men? I said that I loved the first two movies by Singer, and that some parts of X3 (at least rumored thus far) have gotten me intrigued/mildly excited but most has not gotten me excited or intrigued at all; in fact most of it sickens me.

But Lighting Strikez is also feeling the need to bash Superman it appears, and all I'm doing is expressing my opinion. Nothing more, nothing less.

I used to be big fan of the original movies. I actually thought the teaser was pretty good, but I'm big movie fan in general and everyone I've talked to that has seen it, which the majority are not fanboys, really didn't like it.

All I've heard has pointed to the opposite, but in all fairness everything I've mentioned about X3 to my friends, colleagues or other acquaintances on message boards seem to detest the current direction of X3 at the current moment.

I've seen the blogs and everything with superman, and of course been keeping up with the latest on X-men, but you don't know really anymore what happens in superman than we know with X-men.

Excuse me?

We've seen informative blogs, interviews, huge reports, images from the film, footage from the film, a teaser trailer, and an official plot snyposis.

What have we got for X3? Disjointed rumors concerning the plot of the film, a lousy teaser website and the departure of TWO directors, the arrival of a medicore director and a slew of conflicting reports about multiple new characters and potiential storylines.

I'd say we know a lot more about SUPERMAN RETURNS than we do about X3.

It could very well be good, as the director made two very good previous films imo. But just as easily it could be very bad, which I hope it isn't.

This is very true. It could be bad, which I also hope it isn't, but everything I've heard makes it sound better and better with each passing day.

Can't say I feel the same for X3, unfortunately.

In the same vein I hope and believe that X3 will turn out to be great with Ratner, especially with all the talent working on the film, but I won't list flaws such as a much too young looking supes to crap on that film.

Reeve was damn young -- he was about a year older than Routh when cast. Please someone correct me if I'm wrong. But it was his performance that swayed viewers most of all.

I also hope X3 turns out to be great. Ratner is a competent director but not very imaginative or original. So we'll definitely see.

Seen said:
I said that I loved the first two movies by Singer, and that some parts of X3 (at least rumored thus far) have gotten me intrigued/mildly excited but most has not gotten me excited or intrigued at all; in fact most of it sickens me.
Which rumors are sickening you?

-TNC

Lightning Strikez! said:

Well again i'm not a superman fan ,and some other people here too,and for the moment ,for us ,Superman seem to be a great movie..

Leopards don't change spots miraculously you know.
well i hope for all of us that your quote will not be true for Ratner...
already not really known for that..unlike Singer ...

Seen said:
Sorry if not everyone is familar with FOX's schedule and how they function. And there was rumors that a teaser trailer would show on the X3 site, heck, it even SAID "teaser trailer" until it was fixed, but by then all the damage was done.

And everyone who saw it (people at TrekBBS, ComingSoon, etc.) and friends of mine all collectively agreed it was WEAK.

You can't deny that.

I can't deny what--your opinion?

I don't have to, as I could care less if you and your friends were thrown off by a small discrepancy that was up for all of 5 hours before it was fixed.

Again, no one was expecting an actual trailer upon the site's release. I'm sorry if your friends lacked the perception to see past that.But the fact that you're holding on to it shows you want to have something to cling to for the sake of your arguement.

So cling away.

Seen said:
It began just like a trailer. When it was over, all of my friends and I were like "WTF?!?". Lame. And again, I'm not a FOX techo-wizard like yourself. And neither is a vast majority of the audience.

Again...it was a teaser trailer FOR THE WEBSITE. NOT FOR THE FILM. This is not a difficult concept to grasp. And before you go throwing rocks at X3's animated site as "lame", please reconsider what SR's teaser site was comprised of. :cool:

Seen said:
You mean you are thinking people aren't interested because you simply don't like the film or don't want it to succeed?

That's where I'm getting.

And I'm "getting" something called denial from you.

Believe it or not, but there are many people who do not like what SR is shaping up to be! Yes-MANY!!! God man, step outside of your wooden bubble and recognize that not everyone shares your viewpoint on this matter. It doesn't mean that SR will suck in 7 months.

Seen said:
Can you list the people then? Because most people CANNOT wait for this new Superman movie...they think it will rock. Your distorted view on things, unfortunately, fall into the minority.

First of all, it's not my "job" to list people who's opinion differs from yours.

Secondly, it is extremely presumptuous of you to claim that those who's views are different from yours is automatically "distorted" or even in the "minority." That is flawed, fanatical reasoning.

Seen said:
Interesting. You don't have interest in the new Superman film...you said it doesn't appeal to you...and LOOK, you magically have subjects to back up your claims!

How predictable.

What the hell? Man, you need to broaden your perception--big time. Step outside your fanboyism and recognize that the reaction to that project is mixed, and in some cases lukewarm. Wake up!

Seen said:
Why, are you afraid us board members will cry? Or get hugely upset for no apparent reason? Sounds like it.

His assistant said the costume looks bad so he's not seeing the movie? That's the dumbest f.u.c.k.ing arguement I've ever heard.

If that was the case, I wouldn't have seen half if not more of Marvel's films. But I happen to judge films based on quality, not a friggin' costume. Damn, that's pathetic.

That's his opinion--and it wasn't just about the suit obviously. He's a fanboy just like you. He'll have $8 to spend on June 30th, just like you. Whether or not he decides to do so depends upon how he is moved by his feelings on what is being done with that iconic hero.

Learn to respect that. Your views do not supercede his.

seen said:
Okay, he must not like classic Superman visuals. That's perfectly understandable. He musn't be that into Superman.

A most foolish of statements! Ay yi yi....your presumptuousness boggles my mind because it's bordering on fanatical! *shakes head*

He's the damn comic book store OWNER! And he's decorated the store with old and new Superman paraphernalia all over the place. Therefore, he's a major DC fan and yes, he is "into Superman"--very much so. Yet, for all that, he doesn't like the approach Singer is taking. Why are you struggling with this?

seen said:
Great, five men. I'm totally convinced SUPERMAN RETURNS is going to suck now. Thanks!

You don't have to be convinced. But they are convinced for now. Again, respect their opinion.

seen said:
So you're judging your opinion based on what five people said? When probably millions saw the trailer. Riighhttt...

Let's not insult my intelligence here...you're getting a tad too close to edge now Seen. I've personally had misgivings about the project for a few months now--long before the trailer came out, and certainly before I went to the comic store last night. :rolleyes:

seen said:
No, there'll be action. Justin from BLUETIGHTS said the action sequences in this film will make Spidey look BORING, and this guy actually has met Bryan Singer, so I'll take his word over yours.

And I've seen Bryan Singer's previous works. And in my opinion, action has never been his strongest suit. So I'll take the existing evidence over anything Justin has to say. It's easy to fluff up statements for the sake of hyping up the fanbase...but so far nothing I've seen suggests that SR is going to be anything remotely close to a Spider-Man film in terms of action. If anything, I'm seeing a regurgitation of cam visual concepts that Bryan has already used in his prior projects. Again...we're talking about creativity.

seen said:
You should post more often. I post here, and intend to frequent more often, and I'm so-so on X3 right now. Some of it looks good, a lot of it looks horrible. But I'm voicing my opinion constructively. You shouldn't feel discouraged to do so also, unless you fear the wraith of the fans.

Man please. :rolleyes:

I handled Batman trolls for the greater part of a year on the Fantastic Four board, so do you honestly, really think I "fear" some so-called wrath from fanboys?

Bottom line: I have an opinion. However, it's not my job to rain on the Supe fans' Hype parade by coercing them into changing their opinions.

But right now, you're in our territory. :cool:

seen said:
Didn't you say you were a big fan of the Reeve films and that you are going to compare and the Reeve fans are a big audience yadda yadda yadda?

No. I said critics and moviegoers who have grown up in that generation might compare them.

seen said:
Also, you need to get this inside your head: Singer's film isn't heavily influenced by Donner's film. It's using his origin film as vague history, to quote Dan Harris himself, as the "archtypal origin" story it doesn't need to be messed with. And since you've supposedly watched all the blogs, you should know this. Harris says it in the blog "Untitled".

Also, Singer's film will have many new elements. As much

1) The retro look. Donner's version had New York standing in for Metropolis. Singer's version is very retro-inspired and completely different.

2)Brand new story. This is a return story, of when a superhero leaves Earth, unarguably comic-book's greatest superhero, and the effect that has on Metropolis and the world, which has become far more violent and destructive, emulating our own contemporary society. Singer is telling an allegorical tale -- something he achieved in his X-Men films. None of Donner's films did this, or the subsequent installments. And it really touches on core Superman ideals.

3) Menacing Lex Luthor. Gene Hackman's portrayal was so campy and a deviation from the comics that Kevin Spacey's characterization is sure to bring back Luthor from the man who know all to well from the mythos.

4) New cast, new crew, new characters (such as Ben Hubbard, Richard White, et al) who were not in previous Superman films, new plot, new sets, new costumes, new etc. etc.

Need I continue? Besides the basic influences that Singer is taking from Donner's origin film, which he's just utilizing as a springboard for his film, what other elements is he including (besides Williams' theme, which is so damn iconic people would immediately complain if it wasn't included)?

None. This is Bryan Singer's Superman movie -- with homages not only to Richard Donner's epic, but to countless other Superman stories combined.

And sequels, these days, are as depised as remakes -- which Superman isn't, actually. It's a restart of the franchise much like the succeessful BATMAN BEGINS, but instead of re-exploring Superman's origins we're going further in his story. But it's still a restart.

And that formula worked great for Batman. What makes you think it won't subsequently work for Superman?

What makes you think it will? There is no guarantee until June 30th, 2006. I will render final judgement then.

seen said:
Have you seen Routh act? At all? That's just more pathetic misjudgment on your part unfortunately.

Again, you need to pipe it down a notch. Pathetic "misjudgement"? Have you seen Routh act? If not, wouldn't your views be equally misplaced at this time as well? As I warned you earlier--don't throw rocks--especially not here...We wouldn't want you to cut your foot on some glass now, would we? :cool:

seen said:
Many? As in who? Most of SHH are flooded with positive thoughts regarding the film. There are some that disagree, but the same bodes for any comic-book film, including X3. Many general audiences, other fans, and Superman fans in particular are looking forward to the newest Superman film in nearly two decades. No matter what anyone thinks, it will be huge and people will flock to see it...prematurely hating it or not, it's Superman and it has a BIG audience.

"Most of SHH are flooded with positive thoughts regarding the film?" Where is this taking place?

There has been serious dissension even on the Supes board itself so please knock off the exaggerations. Remember, we all have access to the boards here and can see things for ourselves. The discussion and reaction has been MIXED. Accept it. Damn. :p:o

seen said:
Also, I find it funny that you compare Bryan Singer to Ang Lee when Singer has two previous comic-book adaptations to his belt that have been critical and box office hits. So much luck is on his side that he'll turn SUPERMAN RETURNS into the next big thing.

Your confidence, albeit a bit naive, is admirable. And I sincerely hope that Superman Returns turns out to be everything you hope it to be. Is there anything else?

What the hell? Man, you need to broaden your perception--big time. Step outside your fanboyism and recognize that the reaction to that project is mixed, and in some cases lukewarm. Wake up!

Well , you know what would resolve this discution? take one hour , go on major webiste ( Chud.com, Rotten.tomatoes,empire for example but there are a ton others ) and you'll see for yourself.

lukewarm ? mixed? yep in some case , but in majority it's rather good.

but see it with your own eyes .

Speaking of the outiside ,i don't know in the states (the states , not one or two region lightning..i mean that's how you guess who is going to win the elections? ), believe me here in France the word is really strong for this movie..

Anyways , this argument is really absurd in my book..as if quality =popularity..

But,the fact is the buzz on X3 is really bad, ( but you never admitted it ..that's sad , but that's your choice) the fact is the critics trust Singer and co..Not Ratner ..and believe it pain me to admit that for the moment they are right..

Maze said:
Well , you know what would resolve this discution? take one hour , go on major webiste ( Chud.com, Rotten.tomatoes,empire for example but there are a ton others ) and you'll see for yourself.

Speaking of the outiside ,i don't know in the states (the states , not one or two region lightning..i mean that's how you guess who is going to win the elections? ), believe me here in France the word is really strong for this movie..

Anyways , this argument is really absurd in my book..as if quality =popularity..

But,the fact is the buzz on X3 is really bad, ( but you never admitted it ..that's sad , but that's your choice) the fact is the critics trust Singer and co..Not Ratner ..and believe it pain me to admit that for the moment they are right..

Where did you get that idea? other than when vahugn droped the film, the movie has done great, nothing but great things we have heard and seen from set pics. everyone from the movie is saying how its the best, and i know they may just be saying that because they are part of the film, but they seem to actually thinkl that this is "the" movie. Patrick stewart, Mckellen, Halle, all have said that this movie will blow everyone away...so what makes you think this is such a trubled project, just because Ratner is directing? Name one critic, thats not from a "FAN" based website that has said anything negative towards Ratner...you wont find any, he is a "A" list director, and has had many hit movies...

Maze said:

Speaking of the outiside ,i don't know in the states (the states , not o,e place lightning), believe me here in France the word is really strong for this movie..

Anyways , this argument is really vain in my book..as if quality =popularity..

the fact is the buzz on X3 is really bad, ( but you never admitted it ..that's sad , but that's your choice) the fact is the critics trust Singer and co..Not Ratner ..and believe it pain me to admit that for the moment they are right..

I have stated numerous times that the buzz on X3 was poor at the outset when the AICN draft leaked last year--but I wouldn't say that is still the case now. I'd rank it as "nervous anticipation". The tide has changed, as many have been impressed with the casting choices Brett has made. There have been some improvements in the perception of the project--even here on our board. The only major doubt is stemming from lack of information and the change in director--which are understandable causes for fear.

However, that's not the crux of this discussion: we are talking about X3 being the most anticipated film at this time. Whether it be to see if all of the rumors prove true or false, people are certainly amped to see what this third installment will bring.

Let us remember: A mixed reaction to the SR teaser trailer is not necessarily a bad thing--it's just what it is at this time. Perceptions change and people can be won over with additional releases of product.

Sadly, for people like Seen, unless fans are praising SR as the best thing since sliced bread then they must be automatically "bashing it", or have "distorted" "pathetic misjudgement".

And that's nonsensical, warped thinking.

Maze said:

You misunderstand I think what we are trying to say. While yes we acknowledge that there was some positive reaction to the trailer, LS and I are trying to explain that we have seen reaction that was less than enthusiastic. The reactions we have seen are mixed, some good and some not so good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"