X3 Gossip from an informal chat with the FX supervisor

antonydavanzo

Civilian
Reaction score
I did post this but it got moved to the review thread but I think it deserves its own.
I met John ( FX Supervisor of X3) last night at an early screening of the movie. We were allowed to ask Q's after the show. I didnt stick around instead went to the hotel bar where it was screened with my wife to get a drink. After everyone was gone John and the lady from Fox were waiting at the hotel door and I invited them for a drink. We ended up chatting for 1 1/2 hours about movies in general. He worked on Titanic, Abyss, X3, FF, Terminator. This is what he did tell me that got my ears pricked and it made me aswk more and more
***Ian will be playing Mags in the prequal. He is doing the FX to make him look younger.
*** FF2 will have the silver surfer but he was worried as the studio was rushing to get it out ( he had the same misgivings for X 3 but was surprised at how it came out.
*** X 3 was supposed to start with the GG bridge and end with an almighty battle in Washington with Mags lifting the Capitol building and Pyro setting fire to it.
*** Phoenix flame. Sadly they storyboarded it and prevised it but the studio said no as it cost too much.
*** The Juggs and Kitty scne was ripped from a Brithish Levis ad.
*** Ice man was supposed to ice up more, again too costly.
***Cykes should return for X4, there will be an X4.

So, there's no phoenix bird flame cause it would cost too much eh? But, it was IN X2...and doesn't this movie cost more?

He wanted it all the time and it cost too much, he said they went way over budget

Wait how does he know there will be an X4 what did he say?

*** X 3 was supposed to start with the GG bridge and end with an almighty battle in Washington with Mags lifting the Capitol building and Pyro setting fire to it.

*bumps head on keyboard.* damn what have been an amazing start.

Why do the filmakers plan on reversing everything that happened in the film? Just disappointed....

I do kind of feel the same way crappymovie.

I always wanted to see Cyclops in a bigger role, Gambit finally making an appearance, and Sentinals. Things that X3 doesn't have, regardless if it's good or not. Will X4 give us that? I hope so..

Well if this is the informal chat with John Bruno, then I guess I should post here!!

I also met him at the screening yesterday. Me and 3 others spoke to him for about 20 minutes I think. He told us about the trouble the crew had getting the X-Men to stand still for that final line up before the fight on Alcatraz. They kept bursting into the 'Macarana', which he said should appear on the DVD.

He also said that Phat fought at Alcatraz, but they decided that the audience would just think him being fat was a stupid mutation to fight with. That will be on the DVD as well.

John mentioned how long the process of making Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart younger were so time consuming as it was done shot by shot. Ian hugged him when she saw what they did!

He did say that X4 was dependant on how successful this film was, and the very last scene was intended as a lead on to it. He said that
the brain dead body being looked after by Moira was Charles Xaviers twin brother, which was purely so they could get Patrick Stewart back in X4. People will hate this idea.

I didn't say anything then, but I had no idea who the man really was until I checked on IMDb. I knew he was important on X-Men 3, but didn't know he worked on Batman Returns, Titanic and a whole load of Oscar nominated films!

anadinseawater said:
He did say that X4 was dependant on how successful this film was, and the very last scene was intended as a lead on to it. He said that
the brain dead body being looked after by Moira was Charles Xaviers twin brother, which was purely so they could get Patrick Stewart back in X4. People will hate this idea.

Yeah, they will, including me....but at least we get X4 with Rogue and Cykes

Anything on Colossus?

I cant picture a big dude in a metal colossus suit doing the macarana

anadinseawater said:
He said that

Good news fans. Maybe
Cyclops and Phoenix also have twins names Brott and Kean, and they will come back as well.

crappymovie said:
Good news fans. Maybe
Cyclops and Phoenix also have twins names Brott and Kean, and they will come back as well.
\o/:up:

:down

how do u know that gambit would be inX4 Did he say?

REALLY, how much would it be to insert Phoenix flames onto Jean? Just for one scene? I don't know..Fox is so...tight with their money. Morons!

Hmm. On the one hand it's cool that Cyke and Xavier will return, but on the other hand no one will ever take death seriously in the movies again.

Too expensive to do the Phoenix flame and yet, the film cost upwards of 200 million to make. Interesting....

L0ngsh0t said:
how do u know that gambit would be inX4 Did he say?

I'm sure that there's talks but there isn't even a script yet.

Honestly, we have proof that Kinberg and Penn were hyping Gambit as a "Very important character, not suited for a cameo" that if in X4, there's no Gambit, then scr*w them.

Lauren Donner made that mistake of hyping Gambit up on the X2 DVD commentary.

Mr Garak said:
So, there's no phoenix bird flame cause it would cost too much eh? But, it was IN X2...and doesn't this movie cost more?

However, it's likely that X3 has much more FX in this film and the phoenix flame probably would have sent it over budget and was expendable.

John said that the writers decided that X3 was about 'purging' characters off. They wanted new people and it was a tough choice between Gambit, Beast and Angel.
When asked about the Wolverine movie, he said that we shouldn't expect Lady Deathstrike as she was dead!
I don't remember what he said about Cyclops other than he called him Bobby by mistake! He did say he and Jean were very much dead even though we never saw his body, but we could expect Patrick Stewart back for X4.

I wish I could have thought of actual questions, stuff I knew you'd all want to hear, but we had only just seen the film, and I didn't know I was going to speak to him!

MutantMetalhead said:
Hmm. On the one hand it's cool that Cyke and Xavier will return, but on the other hand no one will ever take death seriously in the movies again.

I don't know. Maybe they were never dead in the first place. Maybe they went into a different dimension. EIther way, people will have to 'buy' that idea. Meaning, a great script is in order...(NOT BY KINBERG OR PENN)

anadinseawater said:
John said that the writers decided that X3 was about 'purging' characters off. They wanted new people and it was a tough choice between Gambit, Beast and Angel.
When asked about the Wolverine movie, he said that we shouldn't expect Lady Deathstrike as she was dead!
I don't remember what he said about Cyclops other than he called him Bobby by mistake! He did say he and Jean were very much dead even though we never saw his body, but we could expect Patrick Stewart back for X4.

I wish I could have thought of actual questions, stuff I knew you'd all want to hear, but we had only just seen the film, and I didn't know I was going to speak to him!

So he basically he said that Stewart could come back in X4, but he doesn't know about Cyclops?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"