You need to Volunteer.....NOW!

X-Punisher

Sidekick
Reaction score
Last week the Senate approved a bill (HR 1444) to radically expand the AmeriCorps program. The bill initially contained language that proposed a study for mandatory service for all young people in the United States.

The bill, under Section 4 (b)6, states:
Whether a workable, fair, and reasonable mandatory service requirement for all able young people could be developed, and how such a requirement could be implemented in a manner that would strengthen the social fabric of the Nation and overcome civic challenges by bringing together people from diverse economic, ethnic, and educational backgrounds.

What's considered to strengthen the social fabric is all up to Lord Obama.

'Mandatory Volunteer' is an oxymoron surely?

yep. They call it volunteer work, but they say that we have to do it. People are more likely to accept it if the word "volunteer" is in it, even though there is no choice in the matter.

You forgot the first part of section 4 of the bill which states

(a) General Purpose.--The purpose of the Commission is to gather
and analyze information in order to make recommendations to Congress
to--

It then goes on to list a number of things it will investigate. The one you posted is one of the specific topics identified in the bill.

Now I don't know about you but when I see a bill that says analyze and recommend I tend to immediately acknowledge that the impact of said bill is not necessarily determined rather it is up to the politicians after said recommendations are given. Many times recommendations from such sorts of committees are not even followed. So really I don't see what's getting you so up in arms as to start using the "lord" Obama label when you take a look at the bill.

Regardless, such things really shouldn't even be considered.

Regardless, such things really shouldn't even be considered.

Its a congressional commission, its going to consider any number of things whether or not people agree with the things being considered. Whether or not anything is done from the results of such a commission is a whole different ball game from what they find. I don't see any reason for people to be offended by this.

And really I can't say I'm too offended by such an ideal partly because I got forced into doing community service work when I dealt with Catholic High School. Sure some kids might complain about losing a weekend, but really what is so bad about having community service stuff mandatory in a public most likely school environment?

Its a congressional commission, its going to consider any number of things whether or not people agree with the things being considered. Whether or not anything is done from the results of such a commission is a whole different ball game from what they find. I don't see any reason for people to be offended by this.

And really I can't say I'm too offended by such an ideal partly because I got forced into doing community service work when I dealt with Catholic High School. Sure some kids might complain about losing a weekend, but really what is so bad about having community service stuff mandatory in a public most likely school environment?

My school does it, its part of the graduation mandates. We also give them plenty of chances to do this service in the areas of music, enviornment, elderly visits, hunger programs, AIDS programs, Pal programs, Mentor programs, etc.....I have yet to hear one student complain about it....

It's an idea that never should have been thought of. Having a mandatory "volunteer" program takes away what makes them great about people doing work out of the kindness of their hearts. And it goes against free will that this country is founded upon.

I don't recall seeing "forced volunteerism" as one of the grievances against King George in the Declaration of Independence

It's an idea that never should have been thought of. Having a mandatory "volunteer" program takes away what makes them great about people doing work out of the kindness of their hearts. And it goes against free will that this country is founded upon.

We force kids every day to go through the public education system in the U.S. Their free will doesn't matter when it comes to whether or not they want to attend school. That is because of their status as minors along with the fact that society recognizes the benefits which comes from a good education. So while they would rather be hanging out with their friends, the public good is served by removing many kids liberty and forcing them to go to school.

Now if the committee comes to the conclusion that there is a reasonable and fair way to ensure such mandatory civic service work is possible and that the public good is served by such work, why is there a problem? Because if we can send them to school for that reason why then would having them do civic service most likely in that school environment be such a huge problem?

My school does it, its part of the graduation mandates. We also give them plenty of chances to do this service in the areas of music, environment, elderly visits, hunger programs, AIDS programs, Pal programs, Mentor programs, etc.....I have yet to hear one student complain about it....

Ours was a bit different. There was some in school stuff that was done which was where most of the complaints came from. But when it came to going out and dealing with under privileged schools or dealing with stuff like making hats for people suffering from cancer, it was very worth while. Even though I may have somewhat disliked it, looking back I can say it was totally worth it.

Last edited:
Thats great that you guys had to do community service!

The GIVE Act not only requires that kids do community service, but they have to take classes that teach them about how great it is to help the community. Of course, what these classes teach depends on the party in power, so if the republicans take over then kids could be forced to go to classes on the evils of abortion, gun control and about how rich people should get tax cuts. Sounds like a great idea!!!!

Thats great that you guys had to do community service!

The GIVE Act not only requires that kids do community service, but they have to take classes that teach them about how great it is to help the community. Of course, what these classes teach depends on the party in power, so if the republicans take over then kids could be forced to go to classes on the evils of abortion, gun control and about how rich people should get tax cuts. Sounds like a great idea!!!!

You don't know that for sure.....

You don't know that for sure.....

I do know that kids will be forced to take classes based on values that the president decides they should be taught. As we change presidents, the courses will also change. President Cheney anyone???? Thatd be a fun 4 years of school for your youngsters!

I do know that kids will be forced to take classes based on values that the president decides they should be taught. As we change presidents, the courses will also change. President Cheney anyone???? Thatd be a fun 4 years of school for your youngsters!

I have been teaching for 18 years, and we are teaching the same core classes as we always have....the textbooks are basically the same as well.

President Cheney????? What are you talking about? You are making absolutely no sense......

I have been teaching for 18 years, and we are teaching the same core classes as we always have....the textbooks are basically the same as well.

President Cheney????? What are you talking about? You are making absolutely no sense......

The GIVE ACT was just passed this past week...it would not have affected classes you taught years ago. They would need a time machine for that.

Also, the GIVE Act says there will be NEW classes teaching this curriculum, so your textbooks still wont change. However, this new class curriculum will be decided upon by whoever happens to be president at the time.

have you read the bill?? I have and it very clearly says that.

And you dont think Cheney could be president? How about President Limbaugh? or Palin? Eventually there will be a diehard conservative in the white house, and the GIVE Act will give that president the right to force your kids to take classes learning the importance of whatever the president decides should be taught. Heck, the volunteering they are forced to do will also depend on the president, so maybe your kid will have to spend 50 hours volunteering for pro life causes or something else you may disagree with.

The GIVE ACT was just passed this past week...it would not have affected classes you taught years ago. They would need a time machine for that.

Also, the GIVE Act says there will be NEW classes teaching this curriculum, so your textbooks still wont change. However, this new class curriculum will be decided upon by whoever happens to be president at the time.

And you dont think Cheney could be president? How about President Limbaugh? or Palin? Eventually there will be a diehard conservative in the white house, and the GIVE Act will give that president the right to force your kids to take classes learning the importance of whatever the president decides should be taught. Heck, the volunteering they are forced to do will also depend on the president, so maybe your kid will have to spend 50 hours volunteering for pro life causes or something else you may disagree with.

ok......whatever.

It's a bit big and I haven't seen something that determines the curriculum yet. What's the part so I can skip right to it.

It's a bit big and I haven't seen something that determines the curriculum yet. What's the part so I can skip right to it.

I dont remember. I copied and pasted it here days ago...I'll have to go skim through it again.

I'm surprised this got pushed through the Senate so fast. Why are people complaining about this now anyhow? Obama mentioned this in pretty much all of his speeches and I never once heard anyone complain about it then.

The name for the mandatory volunteer program:

Do Right And Follow Through!

:dry: Saying Mandatory Volunteer makes about as much sense as saying Consensual Rapist.

Last edited:
It's making quite a big alarmist assumption to think community service will include being brainwashed with anti-abortion and anti gun control propaganda.

In any case, if it turned out to include such things, I would get up and leave, as would enough other people that the public protests and controversy would get it done away with.

I don't see what the big deal is, since it's for young people. We had to do community service back in high school as part of our requirements before we could graduate.

I'm assuming this is part of his policy he talked about a lot during his campaign where in exchange for community service, the government would provide additional funds to students for higher education. I really like that idea a lot, any additional help for students w/ these ridiculous rising college costs is always a great thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"