is it wrong to be proud of who you are?

the_ultimate_evil

CURSE YOU GIN MONKEY.
Reaction score
Proms not inclusive, says Hodge
Last night of the Proms
Flag waving is now the norm on the traditional Last Night
The Proms attract too narrow a section of society, culture minister Margaret Hodge has suggested in a speech.

She praised "icons of a common culture" from Coronation Street to the Angel of the North and said culture could "enhance a sense of shared identity".

But the Proms was one of several major cultural events many people did not feel comfortable attending, she said.

Tory leader David Cameron said she did not "get it" and said the Proms were a "great symbol of our Britishness".

He also stressed the numbers of other Proms during the concert season - such as Proms in the Park and the Electric Proms.

'Feel at ease'

In a speech to the IPPR think tank on Britishness, Heritage and the Arts, Mrs Hodge said a "shared sense of common cultural identity" was a key part of social integration and cohesion.

She said she wanted to "challenge our sectors square on".

"The audiences for some of many of our greatest cultural events - I'm thinking particularly of the Proms - is still a long way from demonstrating that people from different backgrounds feel at ease in being part of this," she added.

Just as culture pushes the boundaries it can make some people proud to belong, it can make others feel isolated and deeply offended
Margaret Hodge
Culture minister

"I know this is not about making every audience completely representative, but if we claim great things for our sectors in terms of their power to bring people together, then we have a right to expect they will do that wherever they can."

In her speech, Mrs Hodge praised other institutions for "creating the icons of a common culture that everybody can feel a part of" - such as the Angel of the North, the British Museum and the Eden project as well as TV and radio shows "from Coronation Street to the Archers" and shared public holidays.

National motto

But she acknowledged that culture could also be divisive - citing the examples of Jerry Springer: The Opera, which Christians said was blasphemous and Behtzi, a play which depicted sex abuse in a Sikh temple and was cancelled after protests.

"Just as culture pushes the boundaries it can make some people proud to belong, it can make others feel isolated and deeply offended," she said.

She also suggested that British citizenship ceremonies be held in historic British buildings like castles, theatres and museums to help people "associate their new citizenship with key cultural icons".

And Mrs Hodge added that talk of national mottos and shared values had to be backed up with "equal economic and educational life chances" if they were to mean anything to ordinary people.

A key part of the classical calendar for more than 100 years, the Proms aims to make music more accessible, but critics say the size of the programme makes it daunting and the traditional Last Night has been overwhelmed by jingoistic flag-waving.

A Downing Street spokesman has said Mrs Hodge's comments were not intended as an attack and that she supported the Proms as a "wonderful, democratic and a quintessentially British institution".

Mr Cameron said: "I think Margaret Hodge is wrong. I think we want more things where people come together to celebrate Britishness and more occasions when people think the Union Jack is a great symbol of our Britishness, rather than sniping at it.

"It is a classic example of a Labour politician just not getting something."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7276684.stm

this newest news has got me thinking has the world become so pc that no one can be proud of there heritage, and do you agree with the culture minister that events like the proms should be banned

it would be the funniest thing ever if they banned prom. "Don't feel proud about yourself you peice of ****!!!1!!"

I dont understand being proud of being from a certain country, or from a certain race/ethnicity. You had no control over it. As George Carlin says, no one says things like "I'm proud of having a genetic predisposition towards being an alcoholic," which is the same kind of s**t. Be proud of what you have accomplished yourself, not that your parents happened to be Itallian and f**ked or whatever.

Being proud only works if you or your people had to overcome something or were persecuted. If you haven't had to deal with ****, your pride is viewed as moot. It's viewed as being mockery or satirical if you weren't.

I would say it's moot and void unless you yourself have overcame something. I'm mostly Irish, yet I dont go around talking about how we survived the potato phamine like I did it myself.

I dont understand being proud of being from a certain country, or from a certain race/ethnicity. You had no control over it. As George Carlin says, no one says things like "I'm proud of having a genetic predisposition towards being an alcoholic," which is the same kind of s**t. Be proud of what you have accomplished yourself, not that your parents happened to be Itallian and f**ked or whatever.

I agree

Now Ive heard everything.

I really don't see an issue with hanging a flag and having pride to be latino , irish , or whatever background . I have an issue with gang pride.

I really don't see an issue with hanging a flag and having pride to be latino , irish , or whatever background . I have an issue with gang pride.

But why would you be proud that your parents just happned to be Latino or whatever, and just happened to be in the US when they f**ked or whatever? It makes no sense to be proud of something that you had no say in, or control over.

If you study your ass off, and get a 4.0 GPA in med school, that's something to be proud of. Hell, even getting a new high score in your local arcades Galaga machine is something to be proud of, cause at least you did it. But being proud of your genetics and location you were born is just f**king stupid.

And we all know what pride comes before.

Well, I'm a White English Male, so If I have any pride in that I'm classed as racist these days.

England has become a joke.
People don't want anything about the British Empire taught in schools because we're apparently meant to be ashamed of it.
People tried to ban flying the English Flag in public.. they had an actual protest. Having England flags/England stipes on shirts is still banned from a lot of Schools/pubs/companies/prisons around the country. Apparently waving an English flag is racist too.
There was even a cemetry that had to take down everything with crosses on it because all of the people in the area found them offensive too.

The government needs to get some balls and let people be proud to be English. Sure, we're just a crappy little country half the size of most of the others, but we took over half the world, just for fun, and we could do it again if we wanted :)

ha ha ha...no you couldnt. You couldnt even defend yourself from the germans. Now, go play nice with the rest of your little european union.

England had the upper hand simply because they were using the church to scare people and buring and raping anyone who said otherwise...

Some do care,others don't..and just do it anyway. Be proud,if it was me..i would do it anyway.

Not really. Although I do wonder WHY we feel pride in our ethnic origins. Like The Joker said, its not like I personally survived the potato famine. As people always say ,"I'm of such and such a background, but what matters is that I'm American." I've heard Lou Dobbs say that he thinks we should do away with ethnic holidays like St Patricks Day, because we are all Americans now. He doesnt know what his background is and he doesnt care. I see what he says, but I like knowing my background. I like ethnic holidays. I dunno, sometimes I think its more interesting being of German, Irish and Norwegian background than it is to be American.

But why would you be proud that your parents just happned to be Latino or whatever, and just happened to be in the US when they f**ked or whatever? It makes no sense to be proud of something that you had no say in, or control over.

If you study your ass off, and get a 4.0 GPA in med school, that's something to be proud of. Hell, even getting a new high score in your local arcades Galaga machine is something to be proud of, cause at least you did it. But being proud of your genetics and location you were born is just f**king stupid.

And we all know what pride comes before.

It's not stupid to acknowledge where you are from. These people are showing that they are not ashamed and paying homage to what they consider to be a great country.

Depends. Personal accomplishment and pride is more important than merely what color skin or background you have. But national pride is important. When people are no longer proud of their country, that's bad.

I agree there. But if you go on about being "proud to be an american" only because that's what you've been indoctrinated to say since birth as opposed to actually looking at the options, that's wrong.

I for one am proud to be an American because I believe in what this country should and could be (and is unfortunately not). I want to believe that if put in a situation where it called for it, I would be able to stand up and defend that.

But I also acknowledge we could defintely be doing better as a country. Canada is pretty much kicking our ass in every way at the moment. CANADA! They're hardly even a real country for gods sake.

So my pride comes bittersweet, and with a small amount of hope. As opposed to the people yelling "love it or leave it" like it was the national catchphrase, and have no real idea why they love America and are proud to be American other than they've had it hammered into there heads that it's "the greatest country on the face of the earth" since they were kids.

There is nothing wrong with being proud of your country.

There is nothing wrong with being proud of your country.

What if you live in North Korea? Or Saudi Arabia? Or pre-9/11 Afghanistan? Are you ok with them being proud of living in countries where women are treated like 2nd class citizens (even more than they are here) and are ruled by crazy religous people (even more so than here, again)?

I'm proud to be American because of the opportunites that we have. I wouldn't argue that my country is better than any other. That would be a display of arrogance. There are alot of countries with good ideas we could adapt.

What if you live in North Korea? Or Saudi Arabia? Or pre-9/11 Afghanistan? Are you ok with them being proud of living in countries where women are treated like 2nd class citizens (even more than they are here) and are ruled by crazy religous people (even more so than here, again)?

Some people including woman who live in those places are proud of their county.I can't say why they are, but they are. If thay are happy and proud of their country than so be it. Nothing wrong with being proud.

I'm proud to be American because of the opportunites that we have. I wouldn't argue that my country is better than any other. That would be a display of arrogance. There are alot of countries with good ideas we could adapt.

That is so true. America is a great country, without question. For such a young country, 'we' (used loosely in the collective sense) have accomplished so much and done so much good. And we still have people literally dieing, trying to get here. BUT, we could be sooo much better. We could adapt strategies that are working elsewhere that would benefit our people, and we could put an end to a lot of the crap that seems to be perpetuated, congress after congress. More than anything, I'm disgusted with politicians. They are the ones we entrust the wellbeing of ourselves and our entire country to, and time and time again they let us down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"