"You ready for another Bout?"- The Thor/Chris Hemsworth Thread

This is really what it's all about.

I went into the first Thor film as a lifelong fan of the character, and I told myself "If this is the only big budget film Thor ever gets, I just want it to be good enough for me to love it." I walked out of the theater with my expectations exceeded big time! I know I'm not the only one who loved it (since the number of Thor fans in the world has multiplied seemingly exponentially), but I only really cared that I liked it. Sorry if that's selfish! :cwink:

And now, we've seen Thor in the Avengers and are lucky enough to be getting an awesome-looking sequel. It would be great for T:TDW to make a ton of cash, have great critical reception, and earn a Thor 3, but I never expect anything. I just want it to be another Thor film that is true to the characters and that I can enjoy over and over again on BluRay without reservation.

This pretty much describes my own feelings. In fact, I've replayed the scene where Thor gets his hammer back and confronts the Destroyer more than any other scene in the MCU - Avengers included.

And now I can't believe that not only are we getting a Thor sequel but an Avengers sequel as well. Pretty freaking rad if you ask me.

The only problem with that scene was that the fight was way too short. The Destroyer is supposed to be a big time threat, yet Thor took it out in like 30 seconds. I get why they did it, time constraints probably, but it was still somewhat underwhelming. I did like that Whedon acknowledged the Destroyer in Avengers with Coulson's gigantic hand cannon.

The only problem with that scene was that the fight was way too short. The Destroyer is supposed to be a big time threat, yet Thor took it out in like 30 seconds. I get why they did it, time constraints probably, but it was still somewhat underwhelming. I did like that Whedon acknowledged the Destroyer in Avengers with Coulson's gigantic hand cannon.

I hear you. I think they did it for pacing and the real confrontation was with Loki. But the Destroyer is no joke and has even killed Thor in the past. I justify his quick dispatching in my mind by reasoning that in the comics the Destroyer was always bound with another soul. This was just a dumb robot version more or less. If they can establish the more mystical elements in the future in the MCU, I could see the return of an even more powerful Destroyer that is in fact bound with another being giving us the classic confrontation we'd all love to see. Especially if that soul is someone like Sif or Balder! If we ever see Balder that is...

I hear you. I think they did it for pacing and the real confrontation was with Loki. But the Destroyer is no joke and has even killed Thor in the past. I justify his quick dispatching in my mind by reasoning that in the comics the Destroyer was always bound with another soul. This was just a dumb robot version more or less. If they can establish the more mystical elements in the future in the MCU, I could see the return of an even more powerful Destroyer that is in fact bound with another being giving us the classic confrontation we'd all love to see. Especially if that soul is someone like Sif or Balder! If we ever see Balder that is...

I think it is implied that SHIELD has taken apart, and reverse engineered the destroyer, which is one of the biggest WTF moments in the MCU lol

I think the biggest problem that the first film had was that you could tell that they didn't have the proper budget needed to cover the large scale that the story was trying to tell.

"Thor" was more or less Marvel's way of playing it safe since they weren't sure on how people would react to Thor and his mythology on the big screen and they were trying to get to the Avengers as quick as they could back then.

It's because of the good reception that the film got, along with Chris and Tom's portrayals and popularity that this film is getting the time and budget that it needs to properly portray Thor's mythology on the big screen.

I think the biggest problem that the first film had was that you could tell that they didn't have the proper budget needed to cover the large scale that the story was trying to tell.

"Thor" was more or less Marvel's way of playing it safe since they weren't sure on how people would react to Thor and his mythology on the big screen and they were trying to get to the Avengers as quick as they could back then.

It's because of the good reception that the film got, along with Chris and Tom's portrayals and popularity that this film is getting the time and budget that it needs to properly portray Thor's mythology on the big screen.

I love THOR, but they surely tried to keep things "small" because of the general degree of difficulty in trying to adapt a character that, while known to the public, is not necessarily one whose origin and story are familiar to the GA. Given all the hurdles Brannaugh knocked it out of the park.

I would have liked a LOTR sized production and story too, but that was not going to happen.

I love THOR, but they surely tried to keep things "small" because of the general degree of difficulty in trying to adapt a character that, while known to the public, is not necessarily one whose origin and story are familiar to the GA. Given all the hurdles Brannaugh knocked it out of the park.

I would have liked a LOTR sized production and story too, but that was not going to happen.

I think another problem was that they were trying to save the whole "invasion" story line for "The avengers" as well, thus why we only got the Destroyer (or in this case, the Destroyed) invading a small town as opposed to a city.

Well, we may be getting one now :woot:

From your lips to Zod's (Super) ears, friend. :cwink:

Based on the trailer, I think the cinematography looks fantastic, that and the color scheme. Which are what makes a fantasy epic, in my opinion.

I really think this movie is going to be huge.

Well Feige did point out that out of all of the solo MCU films in Phase 2, Thor's one will have the largest scale to cover next to the Avengers, so it's understandable. Honestly, i can't see on how this film can't have anything less than a 200 million budget.

Based on the trailer, I think the cinematography looks fantastic, that and the color scheme. Which are what makes a fantasy epic, in my opinion.

I really think this movie is going to be huge.

Yeah. It really looks like they are opening things up a lot, as it were. I know we can't see all the other realms in detail, but a good look at two other worlds at least and something about the day to day life in Asgard will be just fine for me. I've stated this before but in many aspects the first film is the Kirby/Lee Thor brought to life, and it feels right now that TDW is Simonson's run, just from the way the production design looks.

Well Feige did point out that out of all of the solo MCU films in Phase 2, Thor's one will have the largest scale to cover next to the Avengers, so it's understandable. Honestly, i can't see on how this film can't have anything less than a 200 million budget.

Yeah. Honestly, that's how a Thor movie should be.

Yeah. It really looks like they are opening things up a lot, as it were. I know we can't see all the other realms in detail, but a good look at two other worlds at least and something about the day to day life in Asgard will be just fine for me. I've stated this before but in many aspects the first film is the Kirby/Lee Thor brought to life, and it feels right now that TDW is Simonson's run, just from the way the production design looks.

Yeah, agreed 100%. I think we'll see more than two realms. I thought Hiddleston has said something about the 9 realms. Plus, one of the casting calls seemed to indicate "people of fire" which means Muspelheim very well may be another realm we see.

Yeah. Honestly, that's how a Thor movie should be.

Yeah, agreed 100%. I think we'll see more than two realms. I thought Hiddleston has said something about the 9 realms. Plus, one of the casting calls seemed to indicate "people of fire" which means Muspelheim very well may be another realm we see.

People on fire? Well that's either a nod to Surtur, or Jane and Thor get funky in a Disco Inferno. Hmm....

People on fire? Well that's either a nod to Surtur, or Jane and Thor get funky in a Disco Inferno. Hmm....

No, it actually said "people of fire".. "of" wasn't a typo ;) So I assume it meant those...stunt people who have experience working with fire. So fire demons are what came to mind.

There's no way Surtur won't be name dropped in this movie. As you said, it has a Simonson feel to it. We know what the Malekith arc lead to in Simonson's run.

I still think that the ancient war or whatever that Asgard fought against the Dark Elves 5,000 years ago has something to do with Surtur. I really, really think that the movie will open with "some believe, that before the universe, there was darkness", a narration by Odin. I think that he will continue to explain the Dark Elves, and explain how they Worship an elemental being who also predated the universe, called Surtur, and that a prophecy states he will destroy the 9 realms in flames.

Setting the stage for a Thor 3. I refuse to believe Surtur has no involvement/presence in this movie lol I mean, what is the "ether" Malekith is after?

The thing that keeps blowing my mind is that Thor is going to have to deal with two titans within the near future; in terms of Thanos and Surtur at some point and yet he's going to have to supposedly deal with the latter one on his own.

I do wonder at times on who is the stronger entity between Thanos and Surtur.

The thing that keeps blowing my mind is that Thor is going to have to deal with two titans within the near future; in terms of Thanos and Surtur at some point and yet he's going to have to supposedly deal with the latter one on his own.

I do wonder at times on who is the stronger entity between Thanos and Surtur.

So cool.

And Surtur, easily. Unless you mean scale of the stories they appear in, then obviously Thanos, since he achieves Universal power, where as Surtur seems to have different motives. But if you are referring to the two of them, and what they can do on their own, then Surtur easily. He destroyed a galaxy while forging twilight lol.

We don't see much of Surtur in the comics, which sucks, cause whenever he appears, I feel like **** gets real. I hope he appears in the NOW! soon.

So cool.

And Surtur, easily. Unless you mean scale of the stories they appear in, then obviously Thanos, since he achieves Universal power, where as Surtur seems to have different motives. But if you are referring to the two of them, and what they can do on their own, then Surtur easily. He destroyed a galaxy while forging twilight lol.

We don't see much of Surtur in the comics, which sucks, cause whenever he appears, I feel like **** gets real. I hope he appears in the NOW! soon.

Kind of makes me wonder then why Thor doesn't enlist the aid of the Avengers to take on Surtur when they team up to go up against the likes of Thanos.

If "Thor 3" takes place before "The Avengers 3" and Thor inherits the Odinforce in his third solo outing then I guess they want Thor as strong as he can be before taking on Thanos with the infinity gauntlet.

^ I know man, Thor's gonna have to fight Thanos AND Sutur in the near future he's going to need to have the OF just to make it out alive.

Last edited:
Kind of makes me wonder then why Thor doesn't enlist the aid of the Avengers to take on Surtur when they team up to go up against the likes of Thanos.

If "Thor 3" takes place before "The Avengers 3" and Thor inherits the Odinforce in his third solo outing then I guess they want Thor as strong as he can be before taking on Thanos with the infinity gauntlet.

I'd love to see what you are suggesting, but I think Whedon/Feige are going to have the members of the team in as rough a shape as possible come time to confront Thanos. It will make the win that much more epic.
I mean, there does seem to be a good chance Thor may face Ultron with a handicap.

No more handicaps, Ultron and Thanos are powerful enough for a fully powered Thor to face and still need the help of a team.

No more handicaps, Ultron and Thanos are powerful enough for a fully powered Thor to face and still need the help of a team.

No offense, Big Guy, but if he loses a hand, that is THE definition of handicapped. :woot:

No offense, Big Guy, but if he loses a hand, that is THE definition of handicapped. :woot:

From what we know of, the scene with thor taking on Malekith in London takes place near the end of the film, and he has two hands there.

Perhaps because it would be personal for Thor, and the house of Odin? the whole Surtur thing could involve Odin, and Loki, I would hope/assume? Especially if it's being taken from Simonson's arc. I'd love an iteration of this moment on screen.

thor06.jpg

I'd love to see what you are suggesting, but I think Whedon/Feige are going to have the members of the team in as rough a shape as possible come time to confront Thanos. It will make the win that much more epic.
I mean, there does seem to be a good chance Thor may face Ultron with a handicap.

Yeah. No more handicaps, I want to see a villain who can overwhelm the entire roster. Especially if the Infinity Gauntlet is involved, they are going to need all the health possible. and back to herolee10's comment about the Odinforce. I would love that.

Odin dying and sacrificing himself to help Thor and Loki defeat Surtur. Thor finally takes the throne for good, and inherits his fathers power, in time to help stop Thanos from...doing whatever the hell he plans on doing.

Nah Thor still has his hand in the final battle against Malekith as shown in the trailers, which takes place after the hand cutting. So it looks like it's either a vision, illusion, or Thor heals from it somehow.

All the same because at the end of the day he's have both hands in Age of Ultron, I'm certain of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"