Young Justice Cartoon - Part 7

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ya to bad the yahoos in control of scheduling/shows don't think like us. Really if they want the dc nation block to last and be a strong hr on there sat morning block. As said rotating in and out shows on breaks/hiatus for the other shows that have new episodes to go is the wise deal. I don't see why execs don't do it like that or why they would want to off viable properties like gl and yj. I haven't followed ratings for both but haven't they been ok or at least compareable to the other new shows on sat block?

Ratings are one thing... but toys and merchandise is another (and arguably more valuable).

Both shows have no toyline, no real (children's) merchandise to speak of and the DVD's haven't exactly been flying off the shelves.

I would say Green Lantern is at the most risk, but they'll no doubt cancel both in one fell swoop.

Well its not really the shows creators/producers faults on that. That is more dc/wb mishandling merch stuff.

Of course it's not their fault... but it is what it is.

Ya and not everything has to have merch to be viable products. Look at other shows that have little or no merch at all. But that is all I was getting at. Wb/dc should do more for there products if they want/expect them to be viable for long run.

Superboy getting a "super flurry of punches move" in doesn't make him an interesting character.

That wasn't why I made a statement. I was merely stating how it was amusing when sometimes characters who aren't speedsters get to have "power feats" involving super-speed like Superboy.

In a superhero action series, stuff like that is certainly the icing on the cake. And let's be honest; few people eat cake without icing.

How do you know the RA-Sportsmaster fight "wasn't for show":cwink:. Also this harkins back to what I keep saying. You make it sound like Sportsmaster soundly defeated Wally. He didn't, he just got a lucky shot in. Wally wasn't knocked out from that. For all you know if the fight had went longer. Sportsmaster might've had trouble with Wally. Saying Sportsmaster outright beat Wally there, is like saying the "Ciclops guy" (can't remember his name, sorry), beat Conner just because in Insecurity he spotted Conner and blasted him a distance, but he wasn't beat, just shoved aside momentarily.

That character's name is Professor Ojo. He actually usually reminds me of Triclops from "He-Man" a little. His name's harder to remember than the guy with the hook who was named...Hook. Sometimes names come easy to comic book writers. The difference in your analogy is that Superboy does ultimately defeat Ojo in "INFILTRATOR". Heck, Superboy stomps him again in "TERRORS". It's definitive. There's no "well, if the fight lasted longer and circumstances didn't happen and etc". with that.

Admittedly I am aware Sportsmaster is more of a top tier villain; few characters fare well against him. I'd argue Red Arrow's fared the best against him out of everyone who's ever attempted to battle him one on one, including his own daughter. It wasn't a lucky shot, though; Sportsmaster anticipated his speed and reacted with his move. As I said, I really liked "USUAL SUSPECTS"; in some ways more than "AULD ACQUAINTANCES". Kid-Flash's contribution there was minimal is all. He's really there for that last scene with Artemis, which is admittedly good.

I suppose it is part of the contrast of how the show handles certain relationships. Even when they're no longer a couple and Miss Martian's had a power boost and a shift in psychic morality (such as in "EARTHLINGS"), she's still sporadically a damsel in distress who needs Conner to rescue her, and he always does (often with a bellow). Artemis isn't a damsel even when she is in trouble, which is good because Kid-Flash's assistance to her usually isn't physical. Wally isn't quite the "macho guy" the same way as Conner is, which is good since when he tries he can't back it up. He's best for emotional support or science exposition.

Obviously were watching different shows because I've seen episodes where non-powered villains have been shown to be able to hold their own against Conner. Or do you not remember Sportsmasters first appearance?

I did. Sportsmaster took out both Superboy and Miss Martian. I addressed that above; perhaps I was being harsh because Sportsmaster is a top tier villain; NOBODY ever gets to actually defeat him outright without some cheap shot from someone else to justify it. The difference is Superboy usually gets to steamroll over other notable or at least named opponents.

You act as if that's all there is to him.:whatever:

A sense of humor is usually one of those consistent character traits which appears in all of Wally's appearances in animation. As we have noted, there are differences between Kid-Flash here and Flash of "JL/U" in various regards. Another consistency is both seem to have accepting hearts in the end; there was even a subplot in "JL/U" where Flash was akin to the founders' moral center and without him they become corrupted or at risk for corruption - even Batman. Naturally each version has their own traits to them; Wally in "YJ" uses science exposition more.

I've already pointed out ad nauseum why Wally is not just a spare body on the field or how he didn't do some of that "clumsy stuff" later on (guess that doesn't count for development unless the show spells it out for us?:whatever:), so I'm not going to even bother.

Most times in team missions Kid-Flash at best clears house with minions. The problem is that's the standard requirement of any superhero of any team show ever. It in of itself isn't special or notable; beating minions is akin to waking up in the morning. It would be the lack of it which would be so. He also sits out a few episodes towards the latter half of the first season. That is what I meant by "spare body", at least physically. The science exposition does come in handy with errant volcanoes. ;)

So that's one. :p

Exactly. So, glass houses, stones, etc.

I never said he did. I was just making an example of how a villain could use a story like that, to make a hero sound less heroic.

If they do they don't seem to recall it when Batman turns up. Hell, a nameless "boss" gets to capture Batman in "P.O.V." and that's still an excellent episode.

Outside of "cool Michael Bay action scenes", what exactly did he need?

An episode spotlighting him and his powers. Like I said, "COLDHEARTED" did that, but that should have been covered earlier in the season like it was for most of the other characters.

And Superboy appearing alot, and living in Mt. Justice.

You do know that Wonder Girl was a character that was off limits in season 1, right?

I do. Unfortunately while she has some charm in the second season, she's the first major character I'd cut to make room for others if I had that job. It's a shortened season, which isn't the time to shove in more characters who need airtime. If one does, characters alluded to or built up from the first season take priority. I mean it would be a painful cut because it is good having something from WW's wheelhouse in a team show, but sometimes one needs to do that. I mean, there was always that spare comic for edited material.

I don't think Savage loses sleep over much. I'll wager that Vertigo probably did. Also notable, is that ONE PERSON stopped The Light from reaching their goal, and nothing was gained. Name another time ONE PERSON stopped The Light from achieving something, and they didn't gain a thing from it.

Lord knows if Savage sleeps at all. If he does I imagine his inner chamber likely has animal pelts from carnivores he's overpowered. ;)

I am aware of that. You even bolded my statement in my last quote where I stated it was notable.

Except she's going to be worrying about being away from Wally while undercover.

That's a detail; the subplot works without that, though. The show doesn't have to beat us over the head with it and the plot would still work.

No Wally's subplot is going to be coming to grips about his insecurities as a speedster compared to Barry and/or Bart.

I've seen some people debating similar subplots were coming for Wally last season, both before and after "COLDHEARTED". I'm not holding my breath for it now in a shorter season. If that happens, great. But I also imagine Impulse may be the X-23 for Kid-Flash. By that I mean in "X-MEN EVOLUTION", part of why X-23 was created was to provide an excuse for Wolverine episodes (since the network wanted almost exclusive focus on the teenagers). While "YJ" doesn't have that dilemma I do imagine Impulse may be attached to Wally in episodes and I don't think that was needed. They had a mentor/sidekick relationship in the comics but that was when Wally was already Flash; that doesn't work if Impulse is more powerful. So my concern is Wally will become a detail/supporting character in Impulse's time travel subplot, since THAT actually ties into the seasonal arc and matters more.

worldsfinestonline.com is reporting that the September 29th episode will be titled "Satisfaction."

http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/2...the-animated-series-confirmed-episode-titles/

Thanks for the good word. It is difficult to over analyze future episodes and make predictions without a blurb, but I'll do my best.

I doubt "SATISFACTION" will involve the Rolling Stones; although the revelation that one or all of them are in fact being impersonated by Kroloteans would make some sense. Naturally the title doesn't have to mean something which is in and of itself good, but that something has been revealed or completed. The satisfaction of a contract, and so on.

I turn to the SDCC 2012 teaser real for a lot of this over analysis. It was naturally revealed to con goers in July, barely more than a month after "DEPTHS" aired on CN. According to the last production update of the time, only 2-3 episodes at best after "DEPTHS" were "in the can" and thus the break was needed so more of them could be edited for air. As such I presume that most of the images in the teaser from July come from the next 2-3 episodes after "DEPTHS", of which "SATISFACTION" is among them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLy5TLxLYnM

The teaser reel offers less than a minute of footage from presumably more than one episode. The majority of that footage implies an incident in which Artemis (as Tigress, her undercover alter ego) is involved in some invasion of Mt. Justice (where she fights Nightwing) as well as allies with Black Manta (either the original or Kaldur) as well as Deathstroke. One scene depicts her in some sort of turmoil upon a bathroom sink. The other images seem to expand on the "kidnapped teenagers" subplot from "BENEATH", which included Blue Beetle's friend Tye as well as Wonder Girl (who is shown in the teaser) who was with an all girl team seeking to liberate some kids from Queen Bee's operation. Presumably in this episode more of their captives are revealed (such as Static, presumably) and L'Gann is now among them, and it involves Black Beetle. If "SATISFACTION" is akin to a contract, then it could be "The Light" fulfilling whatever business deal they have with the aliens they've chosen to ally with; whether the Reach or Apokolips or some merger of both. Since "DEPTHS" introduced the "undercover Artemis" subplot and usually the show likes to move back and forth between subplots, I wonder if "SATISFACTION" is indeed about the abduction story, with the Tigress affair coming after.

That's all I've got, for now.

I'm gonna guess that "Satisfaction" will either deal with the Team attempting to get satisfaction for the death of Artemis and capture of Lagoon Boy, and become specially obsessed with tracking down and punishing Kaldur (and even an invitation to a "formal" duel), or the real Roy will wake up, and demand satisfaction for revenge by going after Luthor (as shown in the clips). Or knowing this show, they could have the former as a main plot and the latter as a subplot, to create a recurring theme.

I've also heard the suggestion that this episode may not be as heavy or as depressing as "Depths", in order to give the audience a "breather" episode between all the drama. It shouldn't mean it should be a "filler" episode, as no episode in the show usually is, but it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Definately can't wait to see what the episode will be.

I'm gonna guess that "Satisfaction" will either deal with the Team attempting to get satisfaction for the death of Artemis and capture of Lagoon Boy, and become specially obsessed with tracking down and punishing Kaldur (and even an invitation to a "formal" duel), or the real Roy will wake up, and demand satisfaction for revenge by going after Luthor (as shown in the clips). Or knowing this show, they could have the former as a main plot and the latter as a subplot, to create a recurring theme.

That is very possible. The teaser clip showed Kaldur among the captured teenagers, so the two subplots could merge easily. After all, L'Gann was captured by Kaldur's Manta forces. And he very well could allow Nightwing to launch a rescue to continue the plan to undermine "The Light" and Black Manta from within.

I've also heard the suggestion that this episode may not be as heavy or as depressing as "Depths", in order to give the audience a "breather" episode between all the drama. It shouldn't mean it should be a "filler" episode, as no episode in the show usually is, but it wouldn't be a bad idea.

Possibly. But with fewer episodes it may be best to just chug on forward with the storyline. Especially after a break of 2.5 months.

Some more minor news in regards to "YOUNG JUSTICE: INVASION".

As reported by World's Finest at Toonzone.net, Cartoon Network has issued an official press release announcing the return of new episodes of their DC NATION block on Sept. 29th. This naturally confirms in official terms more new episodes of "YJ:I" as well as "GL:TAS" as well as new shorts. The season is considered "Fall 2012". There's no word about any further seasons of "YJ" but at the very least this is a firm confirmation that new episodes of the show are only a few weeks away: http://www.worldsfinestonline.com/2...s-return-of-dc-nation-with-new-press-release/

Meanwhile, if any "secret deal" for more episodes of "YJ" have been made, even Greg Weisman is sounding more "realistic" at his blog: http://s8.org/gargoyles/askgreg/search.php?qid=15811

Greg Weisman's Blog said:
Anonymous writes...

Cartoon Networks usually limits most of their series to 65 episodes, despite how popular they are. Look at Teen Titans or Batman Brave and the Bold. Do you think that Young Justice will continue past 65 episodes or is there some requirement that production will cease after episode 65?

Greg responds...

I have no idea. I'm happy to have 46, and I'll take as many more as their willing to give us.

At this point Weisman seems to be working on wrapping up the last episodes of season 2, which by this stage is mostly editing episodes for air and waiting for the last few episodes to return from overseas for editing. It reminds me of the "ramping down" phase of productions for "SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN" by 2008 (although "YJ" has enjoyed 20 more episodes than that show did). News episodes for Fall/Winter 2013 become more and more unlikely the longer CN waits to offer any renewal announcement, and the longer they do not do so, the writing on the wall seems to be more legible.

Still, we do have at least another 13 episodes to go. In fairness, that's as long as a full season of episodes of many shows on CN years back and even on Kid's WB into 2008.

There's a been a teaser clip for a new YJ? Where?

No new footage has been released since the San Diego Comic Con from the middle of July. A minute of teaser footage was revealed:

Now, since only about 1-2 episodes were "in the can" and ready for air at the time, I presume that reel is made up of some incoming episodes. In terms of specifics, though, we only know that the next new episode of "YJ" will air on Sept. 29th, that it will be 1 of at least 6 new episodes airing, and it is titled "SATISFACTION".

No new footage has been released since the San Diego Comic Con from the middle of July. A minute of teaser footage was revealed:

Now, since only about 1-2 episodes were "in the can" and ready for air at the time, I presume that reel is made up of some incoming episodes. In terms of specifics, though, we only know that the next new episode of "YJ" will air on Sept. 29th, that it will be 1 of at least 6 new episodes airing, and it is titled "SATISFACTION".

OMG!!!! That looks amazing! I have not seen that before. I have to watch it again to slowly digest each scene, but I wonder if the 5 year advance is because Kaldur has been undercover for that long....

WOW.....off to watch the clip again. :woot:

Thanks Dread and GamerSlyRatchet!

OMG!!!! That looks amazing! I have not seen that before. I have to watch it again to slowly digest each scene, but I wonder if the 5 year advance is because Kaldur has been undercover for that long....

WOW.....off to watch the clip again. :woot:

Thanks Dread and GamerSlyRatchet!

You're welcome.

According to YOUNG JUSTICE: LEGACY - the upcoming video game written by Weisman and bridging the TV seasons - that Kaldur was still on "the team" as Aqualad (alongside Tempest/Garth) up to a year before the start of "YOUNG JUSTICE: INVASION". Grayson has become Nightwing but is not yet team leader yet.

http://youngjustice.wikia.com/wiki/Young_Justice:_Legacy

So, according to alternate media canon, Kaldur's undercover act has gone on for at most over a year, not five.

You're welcome.

According to YOUNG JUSTICE: LEGACY - the upcoming video game written by Weisman and bridging the TV seasons - that Kaldur was still on "the team" as Aqualad (alongside Tempest/Garth) up to a year before the start of "YOUNG JUSTICE: INVASION". Grayson has become Nightwing but is not yet team leader yet.

http://youngjustice.wikia.com/wiki/Young_Justice:_Legacy

So, according to alternate media canon, Kaldur's undercover act has gone on for at most over a year, not five.

Interesting....I'll have to keep an eye on that. I'm not usually into the multi player games though. I just hate getting sucked into a world of game play that never ends. I have nightmares to this day about WoW that never end...:oldrazz:

I keep wondering about this 5 year gap. Any thoughts Dread on why they did this?

Interesting....I'll have to keep an eye on that. I'm not usually into the multi player games though. I just hate getting sucked into a world of game play that never ends. I have nightmares to this day about WoW that never end...:oldrazz:

I keep wondering about this 5 year gap. Any thoughts Dread on why they did this?

The cynic in me would say to justify more characters, especially Bat-themed characters. After all, we now have Nightwing, Robin, and Batgirl sharing a team roster for the first time in years. In a broader sense, it was done to increase the scale of the plot and perhaps cut to the chase faster, since Greg Weisman hasn't had a show last beyond two seasons in a very long time. Perhaps he wanted to get to "the meat" of certain character relationships and felt skipping some of the evolution was worth it. I still am not convinced it was the best idea in hindsight, but I still imagine the plot will be well written. Whether I feel the show will deliver on certain character dynamics I am interested in is another matter and I do think a wealth of worthy material was lost to the skip. The show we have, though, will still be well written. I expect the plot to keep me on the edge of my seat. And this show has attained that level of suspense where with few exceptions the fate of any character is up to debate.

The cynic in me would say to justify more characters, especially Bat-themed characters. After all, we now have Nightwing, Robin, and Batgirl sharing a team roster for the first time in years.

le sigh...you know how I feel about this. Batman does have a cool rogue gallery, but I just wish they would attempt to add some other cool rogues.

In a broader sense, it was done to increase the scale of the plot and perhaps cut to the chase faster, since Greg Weisman hasn't had a show last beyond two seasons in a very long time. Perhaps he wanted to get to "the meat" of certain character relationships and felt skipping some of the evolution was worth it. I still am not convinced it was the best idea in hindsight, but I still imagine the plot will be well written. Whether I feel the show will deliver on certain character dynamics I am interested in is another matter and I do think a wealth of worthy material was lost to the skip. The show we have, though, will still be well written. I expect the plot to keep me on the edge of my seat. And this show has attained that level of suspense where with few exceptions the fate of any character is up to debate.

That makes sense. I like character development, but I hate when characters are left hanging. If Weisman is hedging his bets then I'm okay with that. Though, a five year jump is a lot. Add that with Kaldur's undercover mission and you have a lot of old ground to cover. Where is the room for new territory...much less new characters?

My hope is they don't just throw the DC gallery at you in an attempt to show as many characters as they can because it's cool. It is cool, but they don't have a lot of time to properly introduce these characters which makes their introduction useless in the long run...at least for me.

le sigh...you know how I feel about this. Batman does have a cool rogue gallery, but I just wish they would attempt to add some other cool rogues.

In fairness, the show has also heavily mined the rogues gallery of Superman roughly as much as they have for Batman. A couple of Flash villains have shown up, literally. But I do agree the Bat-universe has suffered from over exposure in the comics as well as the small screen so it really does get hard to get jazzed for it.

That makes sense. I like character development, but I hate when characters are left hanging. If Weisman is hedging his bets then I'm okay with that. Though, a five year jump is a lot. Add that with Kaldur's undercover mission and you have a lot of old ground to cover. Where is the room for new territory...much less new characters?

My hope is they don't just throw the DC gallery at you in an attempt to show as many characters as they can because it's cool. It is cool, but they don't have a lot of time to properly introduce these characters which makes their introduction useless in the long run...at least for me.

The dilemma I see is the more characters there are, the less air time there are for all of them, especially the main cast from Season 1 or even their supporting cast. It is always tempting for team shows to do cameo overkill and I hate to see YJ succumb to that.

In fairness, the show has also heavily mined the rogues gallery of Superman roughly as much as they have for Batman. A couple of Flash villains have shown up, literally. But I do agree the Bat-universe has suffered from over exposure in the comics as well as the small screen so it really does get hard to get jazzed for it.

Here's a question. What cool rogues are there in other heroes galleries? I hate to admit it, but I'm only really familiar with Supes and Bats rogues. I have always felt other rogues were...kind of lame, but as I get older in my comic appreciation I want to see more of the gallery for other superheroes. I love some Latern's rogues. I also really like Wondy's rogues, but that's about it for me.

What about you?

This a question for everyone who watches this show.

Here's a question. What cool rogues are there in other heroes galleries? I hate to admit it, but I'm only really familiar with Supes and Bats rogues. I have always felt other rogues were...kind of lame, but as I get older in my comic appreciation I want to see more of the gallery for other superheroes. I love some Latern's rogues. I also really like Wondy's rogues, but that's about it for me.

What about you?

This a question for everyone who watches this show.

Flash's rogues damn it! They're actually called The Rogues, damn it!

That wasn't why I made a statement. I was merely stating how it was amusing when sometimes characters who aren't speedsters get to have "power feats" involving super-speed like Superboy.

Yeah but you keep harping back to it, like he's missing something because of that.

The difference in your analogy is that Superboy does ultimately defeat Ojo in "INFILTRATOR". Heck, Superboy stomps him again in "TERRORS". It's definitive. There's no "well, if the fight lasted longer and circumstances didn't happen and etc". with that.

Admittedly I am aware Sportsmaster is more of a top tier villain; few characters fare well against him. I'd argue Red Arrow's fared the best against him out of everyone who's ever attempted to battle him one on one, including his own daughter. It wasn't a lucky shot, though; Sportsmaster anticipated his speed and reacted with his move. As I said, I really liked "USUAL SUSPECTS"; in some ways more than "AULD ACQUAINTANCES". Kid-Flash's contribution there was minimal is all. He's really there for that last scene with Artemis, which is admittedly good.

Except Sportsmasters "shot" against Wally wasn't definitive. By your same token, Sportsmaster is tougher than Vandal Savage; since SM was shown to be able to anticipate better than Savage was. Hell by that same token Kid Flash is better in combat against Chesire than the others because he's knocked her off her feet the most times in the series thus far. You seem to rarely take context or circumstance in to consideration when making judgements like these.

which is good since when he tries he can't back it up. He's best for emotional support or science exposition.

Bereft and a couple of scenes in Infiltrator (when Artemis is struggling against her sister) say hi.

The difference is Superboy usually gets to steamroll over other notable or at least named opponents.

Steamroll? Terrors aside, most of his victories over someone required effort on his part or something/someone to assist him. Hell even when he had the patch in Performance, he got defeated by Parasite.

Hell, a nameless "boss" gets to capture Batman in "P.O.V." and that's still an excellent episode.

His name in the credits was Scarface, not the puppet though. Personally I thought that was a middle of the road episode. Hell there was also some stuff in that episode that was cut for time. Like Bullock in his high school football days and his Dad chastising him for being a team player.

An episode spotlighting him and his powers. Like I said, "COLDHEARTED" did that, but that should have been covered earlier in the season like it was for most of the other characters.

But what was the detriment to his character just because he didn't get it right away? You didn't get to see it sooner? That's not a character flaw, that's a viewer flaw in having a lack of patience.

I do. Unfortunately while she has some charm in the second season, she's the first major character I'd cut to make room for others if I had that job. It's a shortened season, which isn't the time to shove in more characters who need airtime. If one does, characters alluded to or built up from the first season take priority. I mean it would be a painful cut because it is good having something from WW's wheelhouse in a team show, but sometimes one needs to do that. I mean, there was always that spare comic for edited material.

I'll be honest, only she and Beast Boy have really done anything for me, as far as the new characters go. At least so far.

Tim Drake/Robin II is pretty much a cipher as far as character goes.

Lagoon Boy only has being attached to Ms. Martian as far as interesting characterization goes. Though that and him being taken prisoner could go somewhere interesting.

Bumblebee, had a decent buildup last season but her and her boyfriend Mal Duncan haven't left an impression on me. Though Weisman did confirm that he would be taking over the Vox persona from the comics this season.

Batgirl is basically the same as Bumblebee for me. Though I enjoyed her teasing Dick in Beneath, and there might be something interesting between them this season.

The only two I don't really care for are Blue Beetle and Impulse.

Eric Lopez's accent is something I'm finding hard to overcome. As it comes off as pretty grating for me. Considering he did pretty good as Mark Allen in Spectacular Spider-Man makes it even more disappointing.

Impulse is probably my least favorite character in the entire series to date so far; for reasons I've gone over many times. Sorry, the teddy bear "hug me" characterization does nothing for me. Though I'm glad that entire character is an act, and maybe he'll ditch it eventually, but I'm not holding my breath on that.

I've seen some people debating similar subplots were coming for Wally last season, both before and after "COLDHEARTED".

Who? I saw you bring it up a couple times last season, but I don't remember anyone else bringing it up much, if at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"