Your Best Friend

SpideyVille

Walking out the Desert
Reaction score
So, do you have a best friend? If so, what makes them your best friend? Do they consider you their best friend too? Do you expect more from them than you do from others? Are they of the opposite sex? And if you don't have one, why not?

Personally, I used to have a best friend in high school, but we parted ways once he got a girl friend, and four years later, we still don't speak at all. I haven't had a close friend since, and it's made me wonder if I even buy into the concept of a "best" friend. I mean, it almost feel like I'm ranking my friends where one tops the all. It almost seems unfair, especially since some of the people I've come close to considering my best friend at one point didn't see me the same way.

My best friend and I have known each other since we were 10. His name is Jason, and we are like brothers. I trust him with my life, and he trusts me. We always know what the other is thinking and we have the same taste in music and games and movies. I'm the Godfather of his son Jayden.

We've been through some rough times, and some great times. The one thing we've never let come between us, is a girl. And I think we'll continue this friendship until the day we die.

I hope this thread doesn't turn depressing.

I use to think I have 2 best friends. One I met in Elementary School and the other in High School.

But I'm engaged to my 3rd best friend and I confide more in her than anyone now.

My Best friend and I always ask why we are best friends since were so different but were like brothers and we just love each other.

Last edited:
I'm my own best friend considering all my so called friends are too busy to contact me and we no longer hang out.:cmad:

Well, as weird as it sounds, my best friend is actually my cousin. Seriously! We're like sisters (heck our teachers constantly mistook us for twin sisters all the time since we look kind of alike and have the same last name) we've just done everything together. We went through childhood and grade school together; and now we are going through college with each other! :O

I'm my own best friend considering all my so called friends are too busy to contact me and we no longer hang out.:cmad:

That must be diffcult at times, I am so sorry.

Well, as weird as it sounds, my best friend is actually my cousin. Seriously! We're like sisters (heck our teachers constantly mistook us for twin sisters all the time since we look kind of alike and have the same last name) we've just done everything together. We went through childhood and grade school together; and now we are going through college with each other! :O

That must be diffcult at times, I am so sorry.
Thanks. I'm the only one who decided to stay in my city. They have jobs , girlfriends or they got married. I'm still in college because I started late.

My best friend just recently fell in love. I can see him slowly fading away from our friendship. We used to hang out all the time, now it seems like he's with her all the time. I'm extremely happy for him, but he should still hang with me once in awhile so we stay on good terms.

I had a best friend that was more like a brother to me. We could crack each other up with stupidity and have intelligent discussions as well. Then he joined the army, served two tours in Iraq and came back a totally different person. I'm not sure if he loves or hates the military now. He always says he is so burnt out but he cant see himself as a civilian because, frankly, he hates them. He is now in Cambodia, working as a diplomat. He recently divorced his wife for another woman. I havent seen him in two years.

I have a best friend... His name is Harvey...

harvey7e18cb7wy7.jpg

Well, whaddaya mean ya don't see him?! He's right there eating his carrot!!

I have a best friend. We met freshman year of high school, had a falling out sophomore year of high school (over a girl), resolved it later that year, and have moved from from there.

It's been like 14 years now since we've been friends. There are instances where I don't particularly want to talk to him, but I chalk that more up to the fact that sometimes anyone can wear on your after awhile and you need a break from 'em.

But outside of those phases, which pass, we've always been there for each other, always get along.

I would say I have had 6 'best friends' in my life, guys who I could share anything with, shared many, many years of friendship and adventures with, guys I consider to be brothers.

V- My first great best friend, met him at secondary school, helped get me into music, and playing a musical instrument, writing songs, and booze, lol. He was a truly hilarious guy, very smart, extremely decent. He mived out of the city years and years ago, and now is married with a family, i last saw him when i really needed some help with something, and he was there for me despite all the family commitments.

S - My second great best friend, he I and V used to hang out all the time, it was a bit like 'Superbad', S was Michel Cera, V was the fat guy, and I was Vogel. S was quite the intellectual, and he helped me widen my range when ir came to watching films, which in turn got me interested in making my own video films, which i did for a few years until my camera's tapeheads burnt out. We had many discussions on the nature of reality, trippers trying to figure things out together. He eventually joined the band i was putting together, although very reluctantly, as he saw how many friendships were strained in our pal's other bands, but in the end he felt he made the right desicion as we had some very cool, exciting years playing and recording music. He moved away out the city recently.

G - My best friend i met at college, again, like V and S, we had a lot in common attitude wise, with V it was the music mainly, with S it was the ideas, with G it was the art, although we all had things in common with each other in all fields of art and ideas. He was a very wise man, and like my other b f's taught me a lot, and i them, i think anyway, lol. The one thing these guys all had in common was intelligence and great senses of humour, we used to crack each other up all the time. they were real good comedians, and i needed that, I did not want to be the only court jester in the room, I wanted to laugh my ass off at other people's stuff, and these guys always delivered. He moved away from the city a few years ago.

J - A friend I met at a flat i used to live at, the most sensible of my best friends, he was never a big drinker like my other bf's. I played in a pretty awful electro band with him for a couple of years, and we got to know each other v well through all that time spent together, we had some good crazy nights of gigs though, one gig that basically turned into a mini-riot at a very well to do arts center, i will never forget that night. I still see him now and again, still a v good friend.

A - Probably my craziest friend, he had some real nutso years, and i tried to ditch him a few times cause he seemed to be a little too crazy, but he kept chasing after me to be friends, and I am v glad he did now. He turned out to be a friend who I could rely on for anything, and has sorted himself out now, not crazy anymore. He had a hard life and had a lot of demons needed sorting out, and he did so in a way that i am very proud of him, I can learn from his example. I still see him now and again.

K - The most eccentirc of my best friends. His twin sister once told me that I was the first friend he had ever really 'brought home', perhaps because he did not trust anyone o be a good friend, perhaps because his twin sister was very good looking, lol, and he was paranoid folk would want to come round just to see her more than him(which i think happened). He had a lot of trust issues in a lot of ways. i first met him when he played in the 'school band' with my bf 'V', I used to hang out at their rehersals, and thought he was a very curious fellow. even when he played the school gigs before my friend joined the band, I recall my attention being drawn to him onstage, even though he was the only one onstage not showing off, just hanging back and playing, he had some unique quality to him.
I recall one time at their band's rehersal that he phoned up saying his mum was sick and he couldn't attend rehersal, the band were begging him to come over and reherse, and then he heard someone in the background playing his bass guitar, so what he did was get his 'sick mum' to drive him over to the rehersal, walked into the rehersal, picked up his bass , and walked straight back out, lol. It was hilarious, that was the first time i saw him do anything out of the ordinary. The guys in that band were all pains in the arses, apart from my friend 'V', so i could see why he did not want to attend rehersals.
Anyway, i met him a year or two later at a college i attended for a year to do art classes mainly, i switched art classes to be in the same one with him.
We ended up putting the band together, trying out guys from ads, until we managed to persuade 'S' to join. K was a great musician, he played drums in the nad, but was infinitely better than me at the guitar, he was very gifted, but had no ego about that. He was not one of those snobby technical musicians, even though he could play very well technically, he alwsy complimented me when i managed to pull off a good song, or play something interesting on guitar, I mean, some of the things he said to me kept my confidence up no end, cause i basically started paying gigs regularly only after about a year or so of playing the guitar.
He was so shy and eccentric though, it was a very good day if you managed to get this guy on the phone, although he always ansered on rehersal days, or gig days, unlike with the pain in the arse band.
A great songwriter too, he would never let anyone hear his songs though, but one night, after we had hung out for hours drinking beer and listening to records, i walked him over to the bus stop, adn just when he got on the bus he handed me a tape of all of his home recorded songs. they were great, he ended up re-recording a couple on my home studio, and then we got two of them onto CD and record when we eventually got to make a couple.
He was probably the most interesting person i ever met in my life. I think we both came into each other;s lifes just when we needed a real good friend, and comrade. Years and years later his twin sister came up to me in a club and told me that I was the best friend he ever had.
i think he was so eccentric that he could have ended up just sitting in the house by himself for years and years if he had not enbcounteres me, and by the same kind of token, i think i would have spent a lot of time indoors, cause i would have had trouble finding someone who believed in me as a musical performer, who also shared the same kind of artistic vision. I needed an eccentric, no doubt, lol.
I last saw a few months ago, and he was v pleased to see me, what i had to do to see him was sit outside his door for an hour or two until he left for work in the morning, still not answering the door or the phone, a real JD Salinger, lol.

Last edited:
Sorry, this is gonna be a ramble. I've bolded the main bits and the rest is just me going on lol

---

I think 'best friends' is a concept that works for some and not for others. I guess it depends on circumstances more than anything.

I have two, and this is why I think the circumstances of our friendship meant that they became closer to me than all my other friends at the time.

189824_4566977617_509562617_34116_6753_n.jpg
33736_1415895198348_1261627349_30962003_6005790_n.jpg

I have been best friends with this girl ^ for 13 years. We were arch enemies for a year before that. We hated each other. She was one of those hyper irritating kids who pinched and punched you, and I was a whiner who always ran and told the teacher.

And then my parents moved me to this little village, where she lived, and all of a sudden we had to be friends. Car pooling, baby sitting, going to events together. Our parents became friends and so we became friends. But after the initial clash of personalities, we found we had a hell of a lot in common, both in our tastes and in our backgrounds. We both had the same dreams of the future, the same sense of humour and the same slightly quirky standing in popularity.

We were only 10 years old back then, but it has evolved into a friendship that no longer relies on us living in close proximity. We went to the same schools and colleges, and were inseperable through all of it, but we ended up at different universities and developed lives outside of each other. She's married now and moving out to Egypt, but I know that she will always be there for me. When i'm in trouble, when I need someone to talk too. We still message each other a few times a week, and speak a couple of times a month. When she comes back to the area, we always make time for each other to properly catch up. There are few people in the world that you can be certain completely understand and love you. She is one of them.

197679_4566142617_509562617_7301_9596_n.jpg

I have been best friends with this guy ^ for 9 years. We met in Upper school when everyone was just getting into rebellion. I was 15 and drinking cider behind sheds, and he was 14 and smoking joints behind sheds. He was quite a girly guy. He had long straight hair, and came across a little camp sometimes. It was pretty easy to work out he was gay, but he wasn't comfortable enough with it yet. He soon did come out though, to me at first, and then to everyone. We became close quickly, because in each others company we couldn't stop laughing. Jokes that no one else found funny, had the two of us in stitches. It made us feel like we were the only two that got each other.

Since then, our lives have gone in such different directions. I went to university, he stayed and started doing drugs. I got a degree, he got a mental illness. I got a job working for a newspaper, he got a prescription and a disability allowance.

And I guess you'd expect that to be the end of our friendship. But it just never has.

Because no matter what he's doing, when he is alone with me, he's that guy again and i'm that girl again. He can talk to me about anything, and vice versa. We can make each other fall about laughing, we can snuggle up and watch tv.

It's like his persona when he's out with his 'mates' is not real, and he can only be himself with me. And equally, he's the only person I feel like I can be myself around. All the other people in my life require some level of 'careful'. With Michael, I can say exactly how I feel, without worrying that he might think i'm weird or he might dissaprove. Because we are both capable of understanding every single thought we have.

I love him a huge amount, he is my muse as a writer (i'm writing a novel at the moment in which he is the basis for my main character), and I would do anything for him. He is like my little brother, my gay best friend and my unrequited love all rolled into one.

---

To sum up: Life's complicated

Last edited:
Your friends would be flattered that you wrote a novel about them. :up:

Yet, the stuff I typed up still doesn't do justice to them or the quality of the freindships, but I had to try and express it, I don't know much I'm going to type up until i have actually hit submit.

But, of course glib comments and smilies are much better reads. :up:

Like that!

edit: but, seriously, i don't see why there is anything wrong with a longer post when it comes to a subject like this, especially given the questions in the OP.
I don't look down on anyone who wants to keep thier posts short, just as I don't think it's that clever to make snarky comments about anyone who posts details about why their friendships worked. But, that's ok, i can take a joke, even an old one.
Because, you know what, there are a few people on the thread, and on the forum , who have not had the opportunity, or luck, when it comes to friendships, so maybe they can learn something, while at the same time we can reflect on some important stages in our life.
the net would be very boring if we all kept to the gist, the posts would be be much the same.
hopeful suicide's post was interesting to read, although, i don't think you should be apologising about 'going on about' your friendships and how they relate to you. in fact, the concession you made of bolding the 'important' parts in fact was the only thing that made your post a little annoying to read.

Last edited:
Yup, we've been through tons of crazy and fun times since childhood. Trips, movies, Six Flags, every Falcons game I've been to, he's right there with me. So yeah, he's the best :up:

I don't really have best friends, but I have some very close and good friends.

I knew this one guy whose girlfriend assumed she was also his best friend. But he occasionally still hung out with his pal he had known forever, the gf was hurt "But I'm your girlfriend, I'm supposed to be your best friend!" :waa:

They didn't last.

Does anyone here believe in soul mates?

I was just curious, i'm not sure if I do or not.

Does anyone here believe in soul mates?

I was just curious, i'm not sure if I do or not.

By 'soul mates' do you mean, someone you fall in love with, true love, and it's like you are both supposed to be with each other? Aye, I do believe in that. But, it does not guarantee anything at all, all it means is you could either be happy of the happiest happiest with that person, or you could mess it up and get the worst case of the blues you ever got in your life.
That is what the term is most used for right? There is a dating column in the Guardian newspaper that it called 'soul mates', so that is the first correlation i make with the term.
If you are lucky, you will meet your 'soul mate', or more pertinantly, if you have good karma, you will, cause if you go around trying to interfere with other soul mates, trying to break them up or anything, you will probably go your whole life without believeing in them, cause you will have screwed up your chances of meeting them with bad karma.

and if I misunderstand you, and you are using the term in another light, the light of friendship, then , sure, I think god/reality/fate/whatever can put the right kinds of friends in your path so you have a better chance of getting where you should be, for the best chance of happiness, in life.
I once read somehwre that with reincarnation, you basically have a core set of souls that you encounter throughout all, or most, of your lifes. I don't know if that is a lot of baloney or what, but it is an intersting thing to mull on i guess.

By 'soul mates' do you mean, someone you fall in love with, true love, and it's like you are both supposed to be with each other? Aye, I do believe in that. But, it does not guarantee anything at all, all it means is you could either be happy of the happiest happiest with that person, or you could mess it up and get the worst case of the blues you ever got in your life.
That is what the term is most used for right? There is a dating column in the Guardian newspaper that it called 'soul mates', so that is the first correlation i make with the term.
If you are lucky, you will meet your 'soul mate', or more pertinantly, if you have good karma, you will, cause if you go around trying to interfere with other soul mates, trying to break them up or anything, you will probably go your whole life without believeing in them, cause you will have screwed up your chances of meeting them with bad karma.

and if I misunderstand you, and you are using the term in another light, the light of friendship, then , sure, I think god/reality/fate/whatever can put the right kinds of friends in your path so you have a better chance of getting where you should be, for the best chance of happiness, in life.
I once read somehwre that with reincarnation, you basically have a core set of souls that you encounter throughout all, or most, of your lifes. I don't know if that is a lot of baloney or what, but it is an intersting thing to mull on i guess.

That was actually more the kind of thing I was talking about. I don't really believe in one true love, but I like the idea of my soul having travelled throughout lives with companions.

I feel like all of my closest friends have become close to me, or stayed close to me through unusual circumstances, and sometimes i wonder if that's because we are connected on a deeper level than just personality/interests.

Do you believe in empathy?

I find that with certain people in my life I feel a greater sense of empathy than others. With one of my best friends Michael, there was a stage when I felt so connected to him that I would feel depressed, angry, happy etc and not know why, and later find out it was because of something that had happened to him :)

I guess I feel like I have two best friends. One who has been my best friend throughout this life, and we have stayed close because we share common interests, dreams, philosophies etc, and another one who is my soul mate, connected to me for reasons that it's sometimes hard to explain.

I constantly have people asking me 'Why are you friends with him?' because from the outside, the friendship makes no sense. But he just feels like my brother, my soul mate.

I am not sure how to say this without being blunt, so i am just going to be blunt, hope that is ok.

It sounds to me like you are concentrating a bit too much on this friendship with the guy. It almost sounds like a substitute for a romantic relationship.

See, the thing is with friendships, they don't carry the risk that romantic relationships do, a friend can't break your heart, they can hurt you, but not in that way only a lover can, which is much more painful.

So, i don't know if you are a bit scared to go in that direction, and are more comfortable filling that gap of male companionship with a gay friend.

You should be careful if that is what you are doing deep down, cause 'nothing ventured, nothing gained' and all that.
you could end up quite bitter and jealous of other couples, and end up screwing yourself up in that regard.

I say this also, because, if you don't mind me saying so, the term 'soul mates' is generally used for romantic relationships, you seem well read enough to know that.
and the fact that you used it in this context, and that you said you don't believe in soul mates, might say be saying something along those lines.

Because, i don't really believe you on some level, that you were not talking in any way about romantic relationships.
First you say you don't believe in soul mates, and then you give that big speech about empathy to the nth degree or whatever in friendships. So, that means you do believe in something when it comes to friendships being more than they are on the surface.

Trust me, when , or if, you encounter true love, on that soul mate level, you will not know what hit you, it is a very intense spiritual experience, and the feeling never goes away, it is crazy, in the best kind of way, you wake up every day with this tremendous power flowing though you, it is unbelievable in the sense that you can't believe that life could have something in it like that.
You go around thinking you know what romantic love is all about, and then it happens, you realise you have not had the first clue what you are talking about, but then you know.
No one can persuade you otherwise, they are fools for trying, ignorant, sometimes jealous fools, who underestimate a power that they most likely will never experience, if they go on being fearful or negative.

It is just what I got from reading your post, sorry if I overstepped any boundaries there.

My best friend is named Curtis, I've known him since late 1999 when he transferred to my middle school. I met him when he overheard me and some pals talking about wrestling on the school bus. A few months later we became good friends and as time passed an friends come and gone he's one that's still around and as close as ever. I won't go into great depth about everything as I know no one would be to interested but he's a great person and a wonderful friend and I'm thrilled and grateful to have him in my life.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"