World Your Favorite Spider-Man Animated Show

Spectacular Spider-Man is definitely my favorite, such a shame it was cancelled! I love the 90s cartoon as well.

I grew up with the 90's Spider-Man: The Animated Series, but sadly that show does NOT hold up well.

Some terrible animation, questionable story choices and some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard. It's shocking how poor the Marvel shows really were in the 90's when compared to thier contemporaries, B:TAS and S:TAS.

[YT]sMk-HPBF6Mw[/YT]

Oh Lord... :wow:

Therefore, The Spectacular Spider-Man has my vote, regardless of nostalgia.

Has to be Spectacular. It was pretty much the perfect Spider-Man cartoon.

The 90's introduces me to Spider-Man, but Spectacular is easily the best Spider-Man cartoon, it was sad to see it go, especially considering Ultimate is what took its place...... sigh.

Yet another addition to cartoons cancelled to soon, Avengers EMH and Young Justice are in the same league.

Spider-Man 1994
The Spectacular Spider-Man

Spectacular Spider-Man is definitely my favorite, such a shame it was cancelled! I love the 90s cartoon as well.

I agree. I've heard people say that it got cancelled due to poor ratings and lackluster DVD sales but I think it was more of a case of bad timing. The show just got caught right in the middle of the rights transfer from Sony to Disney. And even though the show aired on Disney XD for its second season, Disney did a very poor job. TSSM came to the US pretty late which probably hurt the ratings a bit and then there was like a 2 month gap between episode 7 and 8. It's almost like Disney wanted the show to fail.

I grew up with the 90's Spider-Man: The Animated Series, but sadly that show does NOT hold up well.

Some terrible animation, questionable story choices and some of the worst voice acting I've ever heard. It's shocking how poor the Marvel shows really were in the 90's when compared to thier contemporaries, B:TAS and S:TAS.

[YT]sMk-HPBF6Mw[/YT]

Oh Lord... :wow:

Therefore, The Spectacular Spider-Man has my vote, regardless of nostalgia.

I still love the 90s version but I do agree that time has not been kind to the series. And I wonder, how much of that has to do with the censorship as well as the other issues you mentioned?

Spidey not being able to throw any punches, he himself getting knocked out or too weak to fight after receiving a hit. Or even a character like Morbius not being allowed to 'suck' out the plasma--he had to use his hands instead.

It's amazing though how well B:TAS and even S:TAS still hold up to this day. I think a lot has to do with the chosen art style. It's not the only reason of course. But the stylistic approach for Bats, that deco art, has less of a dated feel than say the contemporary art for the 90s.

Has to be Spectacular. It was pretty much the perfect Spider-Man cartoon.

It really is, imo. Minus a few small changes it's as close to perfect as we've come.

The MTV Show is sooo underrated :csad:

I liked the more mature approach.

Spectacular Spider-Man is top dog. I think it's one of the best Spidey things ever, and while it didn't run long, it didn't drop in quality.

Glad to own the complete series Blu-ray. It's a purchase I recommend to others.

Spectacular Spider-Man is top dog. I think it's one of the best Spidey things ever, and while it didn't run long, it didn't drop in quality.

:up:

You know it, i know it.

TSSM.

I agree. I've heard people say that it got cancelled due to poor ratings and lackluster DVD sales but I think it was more of a case of bad timing. The show just got caught right in the middle of the rights transfer from Sony to Disney. And even though the show aired on Disney XD for its second season, Disney did a very poor job. TSSM came to the US pretty late which probably hurt the ratings a bit and then there was like a 2 month gap between episode 7 and 8. It's almost like Disney wanted the show to fail.

Yeah I never saw it being cancelled as a result of low ratings (season 2 was also already aired everywhere but the US until a year later for some reason too. I think) but as a result of the Disney acquisition of Marvel and the transfer of all Spidey rights back to Marvel from Sony minus the movies. Sony couldn't do anything with it and Marvel/Disney didn't seem to want to do anything with it, so stupid! I kinda feel like a similar thing happened with Wolverine and the X-Men.

Yeah I never saw it being cancelled as a result of low ratings (season 2 was also already aired everywhere but the US until a year later for some reason too. I think) but as a result of the Disney acquisition of Marvel and the transfer of all Spidey rights back to Marvel from Sony minus the movies. Sony couldn't do anything with it and Marvel/Disney didn't seem to want to do anything with it, so stupid! I kinda feel like a similar thing happened with Wolverine and the X-Men.

Yeah man, like I said, since the show aired in the US late, or at least behind everyone else, that probably did hurt the ratings since most people in the US that were anticipating the show were catching episodes online or 'copies' of episodes that were posted from other countries. It also didn't help that when it did air, Disney never gave the show a permanent time slot. It was jumping around from one to another and then with a two month gap between episode 7 and 8 in the 2nd season as well as a glitched airing of the final episode (the audio was completely dropped!), you could say Disney wasn't very interested in TSSM. Or they lacked any interest in giving the show a proper chance--I'm just speculating here obviously, I'm not aware of the internal workings on their practices. But from the outisde looking in, yeah, they didn't seem to have much care for the series.

So one could make a case that the ratings are what caused the show to get cancelled but with Disney's careless handling of the show, there's much more to it.

In terms of story and character, 1990s is still my favorite.

1990's is still my favorite but spectacular was really good to. Its to bad it only went 2 season and not like 5 like the 1990's one and I thought season 2 was a good amont better then season 1.

Yeah man, like I said, since the show aired in the US late, or at least behind everyone else, that probably did hurt the ratings since most people in the US that were anticipating the show were catching episodes online or 'copies' of episodes that were posted from other countries. It also didn't help that when it did air, Disney never gave the show a permanent time slot. It was jumping around from one to another and then with a two month gap between episode 7 and 8 in the 2nd season as well as a glitched airing of the final episode (the audio was completely dropped!), you could say Disney wasn't very interested in TSSM. Or they lacked any interest in giving the show a proper chance--I'm just speculating here obviously, I'm not aware of the internal workings on their practices. But from the outisde looking in, yeah, they didn't seem to have much care for the series.

So one could make a case that the ratings are what caused the show to get cancelled but with Disney's careless handling of the show, there's much more to it.

Seriously! The final episode was shown WITHOUT THE DIALOGUE TRACK! It had music and sound effects, but NO dialogue! Seriously WHAT THE HELL!

Well now we have Ultimate... :whatever:

Seriously! The final episode was shown WITHOUT THE DIALOGUE TRACK! It had music and sound effects, but NO dialogue! Seriously WHAT THE HELL!

Well now we have Ultimate... :whatever:

I'm glad someone else remembers that glitched final episode. It really sucked. For those that have seen the show, imagine seeing the big mystery revealed in that episode without any audio/dialogue tracks!!

It's a real shame Weisman didn't at least get to make his 65 episode (5 season) proposal a reality. The show was on a roll and there's no doubt he would have continued to do the Spidey mythos with great care.

It's upsetting though how Disney treated the show once the rights were switched and imo never gave the show a fair shot. But alas, it makes sense that Disney would want to do their own thing. I can understand that. However, the way they've dumbed down Spider-Man is quite depressing.

1) Spectacular.
2) The Animated Series
3) The New Animated Series
4) Unlimited (Rino Romano is still my favorite Spidey voice)
) Ultimate

I'm not surprised the USM cartoon has no votes. It's horrendous.

I'm not surprised the USM cartoon has no votes. It's horrendous.

That is a under statement. They don't even have spider man's villains in like half the episodes way to many crossovers. It sucks because art style wise I think it has the best of any spider man but ever thing else is just tearable.

Exactly. Still can't believe J.K. Simmons is wasting his awesome Jonah voice on that show.

1) Spectacular.
2) The Animated Series
3) The New Animated Series
4) Unlimited (Rino Romano is still my favorite Spidey voice)
) Ultimate

I believe the poll is still open if you'd like to cast your vote. :yay:

Exactly. Still can't believe J.K. Simmons is wasting his awesome Jonah voice on that show.

And him being on the show might actually have been a positive but the morons behind the show/writing the show have turned him into nothing more than an angry, bellowing jumbo-tv screen--a la Max Headroom.

I feel bad for MTV Spidey. It had a great premise, PP, and supporting cast but only decent stories and animation. I love the tone of the 90s show but I don't remember much in terms of story, so SSM easily takes the cake because it had the best, most consistent run from what I've seen.

Last edited:
Spectacular Spider-Man for me. :grin:

Great voice acting, great story lines, the weakest episode is still pretty good and the writing is great. Probably better than any Spider-Man movie, imo.

Spectacular Spider-Man for me. :grin:

Great voice acting, great story lines, the weakest episode is still pretty good and the writing is great. Probably better than any Spider-Man movie, imo.

Yep. If I were given the options and had to make a choice, I'd take between 2 and 2 1/2 hours of TSSM episodes over any one of the movies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"