• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Your political opinions

Abortion- A major debate. Abortions should not be happening at 9 months, that's just plain wrong. It shouldn't take a woman 8/9 months to decide whether or not she wants the baby. If she decides she doesn't want the baby at 9 months, put it up for adoption. Abortion shouldn't be illegal (otherwise you open up the risk of backstreet abortionists) but neither should a woman be a regular at a clinic. A woman should also be advised throughout the process to ensure she is making an informed decision and won't regret it later.

**** like this pisses me off. Do you honestly believe that a woman would put her body through 9 months of pregnancy just to decide at the end that she doesn't want baby?

Abortions that happen that late are because it's medically necessary to save the woman's life or because the child has such horrible defects that they'll die within days of birth.

Don't bring this stupid crap up in here.

I'm Canadian so my views will be a bit different:

-I hate libertarianism. It doesn't work. I'm for more government regulation when it comes to the environment and overriding parental "rights" for the good of the community (vaccines, gay/straight clubs at schools, required medical care, etc).

-climate change is an effing problem that we need to solve and right now

-obviously universal health care. I live in a country that has it and I would not trade it for the American system at any time

- no death penalty. Decriminalize drugs. Penalize johns and pimps but not the sex workers

- I believe in following statistics and proven systems. More humane prisons, less severe punishments. More rehabilitation

-Immigration is necessary. Deal with it.

- higher minimum wage and universal basic income. Also tax the rich to all hell

- I don't believe in any political candidate receiving donations or money from outside sources for any campaign

- subsidized day care

- subsidized university tuition. If you don't want "foreigners" being your doctor, then make it cheaper for citizens to become one

- legalize abortion across the board and amp up the sex education classes in junior high and high school. Mandatory classes.

- no tax breaks for big corporations. Ever.

- close down all coal mines and retrain workers into different industries

- cap insurance rates

- mandatory minimum 4 weeks of holidays and sick time. No one should have to delay surgery because they won't get paid while they're away

- I don't believe that people should own homes if they don't live in the area at least half the year. I've seen too many local people get priced out of housing (rent and buy) because rich a-holes from other countries buy vacation homes and leave them vacant or rent them out at inflated prices

- free public transit for low income

- better mental health programs paid for by society

- tax the **** out of religious establishments.

I guess I'm meant to be Canadian cause I agree with pretty much all of this.

**** like this pisses me off. Do you honestly believe that a woman would put her body through 9 months of pregnancy just to decide at the end that she doesn't want baby?

Abortions that happen that late are because it's medically necessary to save the woman's life or because the child has such horrible defects that they'll die within days of birth.

Don't bring this stupid crap up in here.

There's ways of making your point without being rude about it, there's no need for the ****ty attitude. Normally any problems, especially with the baby such as developmental defects, are brought up well before the 9 month mark. In terms of medical emergency with the mother, if the baby is close to a due date, or at least passed the threshold of viable survival, it would be delivered prematurely, not aborted.

Lol funny thing I didn't even vote for the guy.
When one parrots so very much of the Right Wing bull**** brigade's talking points... The veracity of that statement feels shaky at best.

But just like with W. Bush there is gonna be a lot of retroactive disowning in 2020.

"I mean sure... I agree with all the nonsensical and disingenuous arguments that the majority of MAGAs espoused daily for five years straight... But I'm not one of THEM. I didn't even vote for him."

And on your first point you give away the game.

Because it IS the defacto policy currently.

And it's has and WILL lead to hundreds of thousands of dead citizens in the U.S.

Congrats for supporting that.

And on your first point you give away the game.

Because it IS the defacto policy currently.

And it's has and WILL lead to hundreds of thousands of dead citizens in the U.S.

Congrats for supporting that.
Alaska is far different from NY, Florida is different from Wyoming, culturally, density-wise, geographically, etc. Why would you treat them the same? Why not empower the state governments to handle their situation as they see fit?

There's ways of making your point without being rude about it, there's no need for the ****ty attitude. Normally any problems, especially with the baby such as developmental defects, are brought up well before the 9 month mark. In terms of medical emergency with the mother, if the baby is close to a due date, or at least passed the threshold of viable survival, it would be delivered prematurely, not aborted.

Most late term abortions are for fetal defects:

Debunking the Mythical "Nine Month Abortion" - Our Bodies Ourselves

Late term abortions generally defined as those performed at or after 21 weeks of pregnancy, are rare. In fact, only 1.3 percent of abortions in the United States are performed at that stage.

Most women who have late-term abortions have them because the fetus has severe fetal anomalies (birth defects) that are often incompatible with life.

Dear Donald Trump: I'm an OB-GYN. There are no 9-month abortions.

The only type of abortion that happens anywhere near nine months is for fetal anomalies
The only type of abortion that does happen after 24 weeks is for fetal anomalies. Most abortions for fetal anomalies happen before 24 weeks, but a very small percentage happen later than that. The abortions that take place later do so because it takes time to do the ultrasounds and genetic testing. Sometimes a fetal MRI may even be needed.

In conclusion, you have no right to ban abortion at any stage.

Last edited:
In conclusion, you have no right to ban abortion at any stage.

Disagree to an extent. I think there should be term limits on abortion unless it's medical related. However, ultrasounds and genetic tests should be carried out sooner so that any genetic defects can be picked up in a timely manner. 9 months to pick up a genetic defect seems a little late.

Disagree to an extent. I think there should be term limits on abortion unless it's medical related. However, ultrasounds and genetic tests should be carried out sooner so that any genetic defects can be picked up in a timely manner. 9 months to pick up a genetic defect seems a little late.
"The abortions that take place later do so because it takes time to do the ultrasounds and genetic testing. Sometimes a fetal MRI may even be needed."

Well, they're not carried out sooner. In fact, sometimes doctors perform them later just so the woman can't have an abortion.

There is no right to ban abortion at any stage. There are also plenty of women who have abortions after 21 weeks because they needed to raise the money first and secure transportation in order to get the abortion. Why would anyone force that woman to give birth if she's so downtrodden that she can't drive to the clinic or pay for the procedure. And if your argument is give it up for adoption, I'm sure that won't overload the system at all. Also, it's cruel to make a woman go through labour and delivery just so you can feel better about your moral high ground.

Interesting fact to note, in the decades after Roe v. Wade, crime rates dropped throughout the US. Of course the drop can't be solely attributed to the legalization of abortion, but it was a factor. Perhaps forcing impoverished women to have children is not in the best interest of society.

- COVID-19: one size fits all is a bad idea. Empower the state govs to handle and the Federal assist where needed.

- Economics: free market capitalism is my preferred system.

Me too, except I believe corporations need regulations for things like workplace safety and environmental standards.

- I'm against government spending in general. I believe in most cases the free market functions better.

Wasteful spending needs reined in, but government spending on some things is sometimes necessary.

- I do not support bail outs or stimulus money of any kind, for corporations or private citizens.

Disagree. The government allowing the banks and auto industries to fail wouldn't have helped anyone, and stimulus money is desperately needed in the current circumstances. A government should have a responsibility to take care of its citizens during an emergency which we are currently in on a national scale.

- I believe freedom is the highest value for humanity and the one that attains and promotes the human race to its best ability.

In principle, I agree, but sometimes people need.....a little regulation.

- I'm okay with universal healthcare being available, but I believe individuals should be able to opt out of it and pay for their own private option, or no option, if they choose.

Agreed.

- The United States should be neutral in regards to foreign policy and not push our political ideals onto other countries.

In general, I believe we should look out for our own interests first and foremost, but working with an alliance of other nations to promote democratic ideals and stand as a bulwark against dictatorships like Russia and North Korea is in our own interests. I also believe we should use our global power to push things like LGBT rights, initiatives on climate change, etc.

- I believe in having the smallest government possible that works and is functional, which supports the freedom of the individual.

I agree, though I think my idea of "the smallest government possible" is bigger than yours.

- I remain unconvinced about climate change. I don't think we know everything we need to know about it, but I don't begrudge anyone's rights to work towards environmental responsibility. As long as all nations are held to account, I have no issue.

Climate change is the greatest existential threat to the very world we live on, and we should be doing everything we can both home and abroad to address it, including immediately rejoining the Paris Climate Accord and working to transition to clean renewable energy, both domestically and in concert with other countries.

- Equal protection under the law, two thumbs up. All aboard for equal pay for equal work. And all people should have an equal opportunity to pursue whatever makes them happy. However, I do not buy into the notion that people are equal. People are wildly and vastly different across the world. As the great Thomas Sowell once said..."a man isn't equal to himself on different days."

Agree with all of the above.

- I'm okay with private unions. I'm against government unions and firmly believe they create a political conundrum.

IMO unions need to exist, but many of them have become politically corrupted and sometimes wield too much power. I'm thinking specifically of the police unions that actively shield bad cops from consequences of their actions.

- I think the US Military needs to be the strongest in the world by tenfold.

I agree that we need a strong military as a deterrent and to maintain our global power, but I think frankly our military spending is out of control and wildly disproportionate. We already spend more on our military than any other country outside of militaristic dictatorships like North Korea to the neglect of everything else. Especially when the Pentagon can't even account for where alarmingly huge chunks of money go, while meanwhile our troops overseas sometimes go without the most modern of armor and equipment. I agree with maintaining a strong and up-to-date military, but we don't need to spend as much of our budget on it as we are currently. Rein in the wasteful spending, have more transparency and civilian oversight, and focus the budget where it's needed.

- I believe the Electoral College would be less important if states' rights were stronger.

I'm not ready to go all-in on abolishing the Electoral College, but I do think it needs discussed.

- I believe the voting franchise should be restricted. Too many people voting have nothing to lose from the laws they promote and enact. For instance, 43% of voters don't pay federal income tax, yet these folks vote for the laws and lawmakers that determine how much I should pay in tax. That's a problem.

Wholly disagree. Voting should be the inherent right of every American, and we need more people engaged, not fewer.

- Illegal immigration has one viable solution: move all manufacturing out of China and into Mexico. Its would create great jobs down in Mexico and slow down the illegal immigration into the US. Its too obvious of a solution but no one is willing to make that call.

I think China has too much a grip on the global economy to make this a viable solution, or at least as easy as you make it sound. Though I do agree that investing in the economies of Mexico and Central/South America would help slow down the illegal immigration into the US.

- I also do not agree with any the regulation of social media, while at the same time I believe social media companies tiptoe along the borders of section 230 protections. "Publisher or platform" needs to be revisited and reviewed in my opinion.

I don't support regulation of social media either. To me it's a slippery slope.

- I believe the right to bear arms is probably the most important amendment and needs to be protected at all costs.

I support right to bear arms. But I don't think it means civilians need military-grade weaponry for "home defense". People use "right to bear arms" to claim rights to things it needn't apply to, IMO.

- I believe police officers need more money, not less. We should have fully funded SWAT teams. The job of an officer is far more nuanced and complicated than most will ever realize.

I agree their jobs are more complicated than a lot of people realize, and some incidents have had more nuance than has been acknowledged, but I don't support this worship of law enforcement or a police state. We need a uniform national policy for police forces, not the piecemeal we have now where every individual town is doing its own thing. Active body cams should be mandatory, and there should be transparency about cops' records and complaints against them.

- I believe deeply in Congressional term limits and feel those would solve a lot of the problems in Washington.

Agreed. We don't need aspects of our lives being decided on by Senators with Alzheimer's who've been there for sixty years.

- A third, viable political party needs to emerge soon.

Ideally we'd have multiple political parties like most other countries do. But I fear in practice it would splinter the Democrats and make the Republicans stronger.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

This time, I'll listen to my own advice.

“Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.”

― Mark Twain

This time, I'll listen to my own advice.

SpectacularGrimyHoatzin-size_restricted.gif

Anti-vaccine studies should be outlawed. Every now and then comes a study like this that causes chaos and brings out the reckless behavior in people who want to spread their mentality and fight others in the process.

Get your vaccines and live a better life.
I was looking over your shoulder at someone else. :funny:
It's always your luck that someone wants to argue with you. :oldrazz:

Anti-vaccine studies should be outlawed. Every now and then comes a study like this that causes chaos and brings out the reckless behavior in people who want to spread their mentality and fight others in the process.

It's always your luck that someone wants to argue with you. :oldrazz:

True. Just bad luck because I'M certainly not the type to argue and rarely share my opinions. :cwink:

People spreading dangerous disinformation during a pandemic like Scott Atlas (among many, many others) should lose their license and be subject to charges of reckless public endangerment.

Me too, except I believe corporations need regulations for things like workplace safety and environmental standards.

Wasteful spending needs reined in, but government spending on some things is sometimes necessary.

Disagree. The government allowing the banks and auto industries to fail wouldn't have helped anyone, and stimulus money is desperately needed in the current circumstances. A government should have a responsibility to take care of its citizens during an emergency which we are currently in on a national scale.

In principle, I agree, but sometimes people need.....a little regulation.

Agreed.

In general, I believe we should look out for our own interests first and foremost, but working with an alliance of other nations to promote democratic ideals and stand as a bulwark against dictatorships like Russia and North Korea is in our own interests. I also believe we should use our global power to push things like LGBT rights, initiatives on climate change, etc.

I agree, though I think my idea of "the smallest government possible" is bigger than yours.

Climate change is the greatest existential threat to the very world we live on, and we should be doing everything we can both home and abroad to address it, including immediately rejoining the Paris Climate Accord and working to transition to clean renewable energy, both domestically and in concert with other countries.

Agree with all of the above.

IMO unions need to exist, but many of them have become politically corrupted and sometimes wield too much power. I'm thinking specifically of the police unions that actively shield bad cops from consequences of their actions.

I agree that we need a strong military as a deterrent and to maintain our global power, but I think frankly our military spending is out of control and wildly disproportionate. We already spend more on our military than any other country outside of militaristic dictatorships like North Korea to the neglect of everything else. Especially when the Pentagon can't even account for where alarmingly huge chunks of money go, while meanwhile our troops overseas sometimes go without the most modern of armor and equipment. I agree with maintaining a strong and up-to-date military, but we don't need to spend as much of our budget on it as we are currently. Rein in the wasteful spending, have more transparency and civilian oversight, and focus the budget where it's needed.

I'm not ready to go all-in on abolishing the Electoral College, but I do think it needs discussed.

Wholly disagree. Voting should be the inherent right of every American, and we need more people engaged, not fewer.

I think China has too much a grip on the global economy to make this a viable solution, or at least as easy as you make it sound. Though I do agree that investing in the economies of Mexico and Central/South America would help slow down the illegal immigration into the US.

I don't support regulation of social media either. To me it's a slippery slope.

I support right to bear arms. But I don't think it means civilians need military-grade weaponry for "home defense". People use "right to bear arms" to claim rights to things it needn't apply to, IMO.

I agree their jobs are more complicated than a lot of people realize, and some incidents have had more nuance than has been acknowledged, but I don't support this worship of law enforcement or a police state. We need a uniform national policy for police forces, not the piecemeal we have now where every individual town is doing its own thing. Active body cams should be mandatory, and there should be transparency about cops' records and complaints against them.

Agreed. We don't need aspects of our lives being decided on by Senators with Alzheimer's who've been there for sixty years.

Ideally we'd have multiple political parties like most other countries do. But I fear in practice it would splinter the Democrats and make the Republicans stronger.
You make some fair points. Most disagreements seem to be along our specific value lines, which is perfectly fine. Some additional items:

Government regulations/monetary control would probably sit easier with me if term limits were in play.

As a person who believes freedom is humanity's highest value, much of my political opinions come from believing we should never push one set of values above another, much less on other people, but I also understand others in this country don't agree with that.

Mexico is already #2 in a lot of manufacturing categories, just behind China. And they actually cost less than China, at least per worker. We are overspending to maintain a relationship with China for all intents and purposes, not only for the freight, but the cost of manufacturing.

As I see it, printing money for stimulus/bailouts is kicking the can down the road, selling off the assets of future Americans, inflating the currency, while destroying the middle class and promoting the wealth gap so many complain about. My father taught me you can't always buy your way out of trouble, sometimes you have to take the hit. I personally would rather take the hit myself, then pass the troubles my generation created down to my kids and grandkids.

I'm mostly about what works. In a free country of 330M people of different backgrounds, cultures, races, identities, etc, I accept there will never be ultimate common ground, but hopefully we can find the middle ground where we can all compromise.

Here goes...

I'm a constitutional conservative. I believe in the constitution and America first. I believe the government serves the people, not the other way around. I WILL NOT sacrifice my rights and freedoms for a little bit of safety. That's the complete opposite of liberty, and our founding fathers warned us against it. The smaller the government, the better. I love this country, I love the flag, I love what it stands for, and I will never apologize for that.

"...of the people, by the people, for the people..."
-Abraham Lincoln

I'm pro free-speech, NO MATTER what's being said. Nothing should be censored.

I'm pro-gun. I believe the 2nd amendment is the most important amendment. Without it, we lose all the others.

I'm pro-choice. It should be "my body, my choice" for EVERYTHING. Including abortion, vaccines, and now because of Covid, masks. ( :eek: )

I'm pro-cop. I will defend the police until my dying breath. Not all police officers are bad. Not all black people are criminals. Not all white people are racist. Ignorance comes in all colors.

I believe man-made climate change is a hoax, and I have the studies from REAL environmental biologists to support it.

I believe socialism, even "democratic socialism", is HORRIBLE. It has NEVER succeeded. If implemented, it will lead to communism.

"Socialism only works in two places: Heaven, where they don't need it. And Hell, where they already have it."
-Ronald Reagan
I believe in LEGAL immigration. "Undocumented" is a nicer term for illegal, and I believe illegal immigrants are only making it harder for those trying to do it the right way.

I believe there's rampant corruption in both political parties.

Taxation is theft.

There are only two genders.

And last, but not least...

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy.

Last edited:
I believe in deluded morons.....at least I believe they exist.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"