10 Favorite Hero Costumes/10 Favorite Villain Costumes?

Chris Wallace

LET'S DO A HEADCOUNT...
Reaction score
Here's mine:
HEROES
1. Spider-Man (Spider-Man 2)
2. Spider-Man (Spider-Man)
3. Spider-Man (Spider-Man 3-Black suit)
4. Thor
5. Iron Man
6. Daredevil
7. Black Widow
8. The Thing*
9. Reed/Sue/Johnny (basically the same costume, so...)
10. Beast* (X3)

VILLAINS
1. Red Skull (2011)
2. Loki
3. Dr. Doom (FF: Rise Of The Silver Surfer)
4. Venom
5. Magneto (X-Men First Class-final scene)
6. Joker (Ledger)
7. Doc Ock
8. Green Goblin
9. Sinestro*
10. Mystique* (X2)

*Factoring in the prosthetics and makeup.

Last edited:
Heroes
1. Spider-Man (SM2)
2. Spider-Man (SM)
3. Spider-Man (SM3)
4. Iron Man
5. Captain America (2011)
6. Batman (1989)
7. Batman (Returns)
8. Punisher (2004)
9. Spider-Man (SM3 black suit)
10. Superman (1978)

Villians
1. Joker (TDK)
2. Doc Ock
3. Dr. Doom (Rise Of The Silver Surfer)
4. Sandman
5. Venom
6. Penguin (Returns)
7. Red Skull (2011)
8. Two-Face (TDK)
9. Green Goblin
10. Magneto (X-Men)

Heroes
1.Spider-man(Spider-man Trilogy)
2.Batman(1989)
3.War Machine(Iron Man 2)
4.Iron Man(Iron Man)
5.Thor(Thor)
6.Batman(TDK)
7.NightCrawler(X2)
8.Beast(X3)
9.Ghost Rider
10.The Crow

Villains
1.The Joker(TDK)
2.Doc Ock(SM2)
3.Magneto(X-men triloghy)
4.Red Skull(First Avenger)
5.Loki
6.The Joker(1989)
7.Two face(TDK)
8.Sandman(SM3)
9.Mystique(X-men trilogy)
10.Sinestro

Heroes
1.Spider-man(Spider-man Trilogy)
2.Batman(1989)
3.War Machine(Iron Man 2)
4.Iron Man(Iron Man)
5.Thor(Thor)
6.Batman(TDK)
7.NightCrawler(X2)
8.Beast(X3)
9.Ghost Rider
10.The Crow

Villains
1.The Joker(TDK)
2.Doc Ock(SM2)
3.Magneto(X-men triloghy)
4.Red Skull(First Avenger)
5.Loki
6.The Joker(1989)
7.Two face(TDK)
8.Sandman(SM3)
9.Mystique(X-men trilogy)
10.Sinestro

I assume that with Nightcrawler & Beast, you are also factoring in procthetics and makeup.

Heroes

1. Iron Man (Mark I, III, V, VI)
2. Thor
3. Spider-Man (Trilogy)
4. Captain America: TFA
5. Batman (Begins)
6. Superman (The Movie, II)
7. Black Widow
8. Green Lantern
9. Daredevil
10. The Crow

Villains

1. Red Skull
2. Loki
3. Joker (TDK)
4. Doc Ock (Spider-Man 2)
5. Iron Monger
6. Sandman
7. Mystique (X-Men trilogy)
8. Laufey (Thor)
9. Two-Face (TDK)
10. Penguin (Returns)

1. Spider-man (just putting all the Raimi suits under one category as I couldn't tell you all the differences between the 3 red and blue ones)
2. Iron-Man
3. The Comedian(WM)
4. Daredevil
5. Batman (Batman Begins)
6. Robin (Batman Forever)
7. Black Widow(your choice reminded me how good this suit looked onscreen)
8. Elektra(DD)
9. Elektra (Elektra)
10. Superman(Reeve)

1. Catwoman(BR) - (I am really shocked that no-one has listed this in any of their top tens, the crazy patchwork stitching made this outfit look amazing onscreen, even apart from all that sexy shiny business, mask was great too)
2. Mystique
3. Joker TDK - mainly for the way they realised the hairstyle and facial make-up
4. Venom - great texture, I don't know why folk complain about this one
5. Silver Surfer(when he was all grey it was a suit, not CG)
6. Bullseye - (I liked the way they made the bullseye an indentation in his skin, they ended up using that in the comics, also, his snakeskin coat looked great during the fight with Elektra.)
7. Sabretooth (X-Men)
8. Toad (X-Men)
9. New Goblin(with facial scars) (Spider-man 3)
10. Doctor Doom (FF)

Last edited:
Loki, Skull and Joker seem to be getting plenty of love here. I loved how Nicholson looked in that makeup and purple suit but Ledger was scarier.

1. Spider-Man (Spider-Man Trilogy)
2. Superman (Superman: The Movie, Superman II)
3. Batman (Batman Returns)
4. Green Lantern
5. Blade
6. Iron Man
7. X-Men First Class Outfits
8. Black Widow
9. Batman (Batman Forever)
10. Batman (Batman)

1. The Joker (TDK)
2. Doctor Octopus (Spider-Man 2)
3. Catwoman (Batman Returns)
4. Magneto (X-Men Trilogy)
5. Venom (Spider-Man 3)
6. Sabertooth (Wolverine)
7. Loki (Thor)
8. The Penguin (Batman Returns
9. The Joker (Batman)
Ozymandias

1. Spider-man (just putting all the Raimi suits under one category as I couldn't tell you all the differences between the 3 red and blue ones)

2 red and blue suits; it was kept pretty much the same for 3. Here's the main differences:
masque.jpg
n_aCAZ0EFN2.jpg
n_aCAORXZL9.jpg
Lenses are more angular. Front and back symbols are redesigned, webbing is added to the palms, colors of the fabric are enriched.
2257594v0tdG0RXXIZuedeBNiBg_g47BdaSphE48allFZ9IUC7uwHdtONkGV7fCXrh_NOS7eKRMnLdciUDV5eX5Nv_LQ.jpg
spider-man-2.jpg
spider-man-2-1.jpg
choice.jpg

Heroes

1. CONAN THE BARBARIAN:awesome:
2. Green Lantern
3. Superman (1978)
4. Batman (Returns)
5. Hellboy
6. Batman (TDK)
7. Ghost Rider
8. Spider-Man (SM2)
9. Iron Man
10. Beast (XM3)

Villains

1. Penguin (Returns)
2. The Joker (1989)
3. Magneto (XM1, XM2, XM3)
4. Doc Ock
5. Catwoman (Returns)
6. Sinestro
7. The Joker (TDK)
8. Sandman
9. Mr. Freeze
10. Abomination

to the forums I am come. :bow:

Mamoa's Conan or Arnie's?

I'm digging Mamoa's look a little better.

If that is considered a comic movie, then I'm going to yave to find a spot for him on my top 10.

Thanks for posting up the Spider-outfit info Chris, the main difference I noticed before was the lenses, didn't notice the back spider difference.

Mamoa's Conan or Arnie's?

I'm digging Mamoa's look a little better.

If that is considered a comic movie, then I'm going to yave to find a spot for him on my top 10.

Oh undoubtedly Momoa's. Arnie's is good, but Momoa's is perfect!

The Raimi Spidey costume is getting a lot of affection here but I have always found it lacking in character - the Andrew Garfield suit looks much more like Spider-Man to me, with the wiry but musclular body, the black webbing, and the better shaped head.

Anyway, my favourites that come to mind....

1. The 1989 Batman costume. It did two amazing things; 1 - turned Michael Keaton, of all people, into a completely convincing looking Batman, and 2 - actually improved on the comicbook design of the costume by making it all black scuplted body armour rather than blue and grey fabric, making the chest emblem 3D, and adding modern gloves and boots more suitable for the street. It certainly had Dark Knight Returns influences, but I think it more resembles the classic Neal Adams/Jose Garcia-Lopez look. Regardless, for me, this is what Batman looks like;

BatmanMichaelKeatond.jpg

2. But where is the love for the 1990 Ninja Turtle costumes, crafted by Jim Henson studios-? Surely one of the hardest of any comicbook characters to recreate in real life, Henson & co suceeded wonderfully. The Turtles are full of character and as believable as possible - I'd even argue that they reach a level of performance and audience appeal that CGI would not be able to replicate. Plus, the Golden Harvest martial artists were able to pull off elaborate martial arts and acrobatics in the costumes, and they look exactly like the comicbook counterparts. I'd say that's a 100% success.

turtles.jpg

3. Superman Returns costume. I'm aware some don't like the muted colours or smaller 'S', but they work in it's favour. This is an elegant, sleek costume with a very powerful outline. Many superhero costumes are overloaded and over busy - the Nolan Batman costumes for instance - but here Singer and co have tastefully kept it beautifully simple and strong. It recalls not only the Reeve outfit but also the 1950's Fleisher cartoons, hence the darker reds.

superman_returns_e.jpg
supermanfleischerimage1.jpg

4. The Penguin in Batman Returns. Again, an improvement of the original comicbook costume. The Penguin as a mixture of Dickensian freak and German expressionist escapee is absolute genius. His look refers back to historical cinematic weirdos such as the Childcatcher and Dr Caligari.

00dzrh59

5. Stallone's Judge Dredd. Lame movie, but the judge's costumes are a very stylish take on the comic versions.

stallone_as_dredd.jpg

Last edited:
6. Wolverine in the first, and only the first, X-Men movie. I still contend that Hugh Jackman only really 'played' Wolverine in the first movie, and in all the others he was playing a super-buffed up action hero and coasting on his own charisma. Hugh Jackman was acting in X1-! Look at X1 though; he was mean, agressive towards everyone, alienated, and yet a tragic hero underneath. Anyway, he also looks best in the first movie; they got his hair and sideburns perfectly, Hugh Jackman was muscled and lean instead of Superman-sized, and the X-Men suit was fuctional with some stylized elements.

wolverine1.jpg

5. Stallone's Judge Dredd. Lame movie, but the judge's costumes are a very stylish take on the comic versions.

stallone_as_dredd.jpg

It was an eye-candy that suit, no doubt. Still, Karl Urban's more realistic, gritty look is the way to go these edgier times:

d715817d6a420df867fa44647668aebaafac944c.jpg

supeerhero
dare devil
x-men the oriangal first x-men moive
x-men frist classc
green lanter
superman 1
superman return
catowmen
spawn
ironman 2
ninja turtle 1
ninja turtle 2 not asgoodas the first shedder i liekd it
ghost rider
wolvrin the moive
gambit wolvrien moive
dead pool wolvrien movie
villian
shredder first ninajtrrutle aand seond ninja turtles
mangton in x-men first caalssc
whiplash ironman 2
king pin and buly eye and elkrta dare deivl
leong ghost rider
aabondom the incdaible hulk
x-men vllinas: mangotn mystiquite and sabre tooth and tode

Last edited:
Anyway, my favourites that come to mind....

1. The 1989 Batman costume. It did two amazing things; 1 - turned Michael Keaton, of all people, into a completely convincing looking Batman, and 2 - actually improved on the comicbook design of the costume by making it all black scuplted body armour rather than blue and grey fabric, making the chest emblem 3D, and adding modern gloves and boots more suitable for the street. It certainly had Dark Knight Returns influences, but I think it more resembles the classic Neal Adams/Jose Garcia-Lopez look. Regardless, for me, this is what Batman looks like;

BatmanMichaelKeatond.jpg

In still images it looks fine sometimes, but in action onscreen it was the worst Batman costume, it made him look like he was stuck in a post office box, and had to rotate the whole thing to see in all directions out the opening.

I know all the BM costumes had neck problems, but this one was made all the worse by the fact that they had that matted scuplture over the shoulders too. So, as well as the head not being able to turn, you got the feeling his arms were strapped to the sides of his body in a lot of shots, like they were trapped under the cape, and he could only use his arms from the elbow up.
What makes that poster above look good is the fact that they flipped the cape over that awful shoulder design.

Look at the shot when the cops are coming up the stairs in axis chemicals, or when he is running along the street, totally stuck in a post office box.

3. Superman Returns costume. I'm aware some don't like the muted colours or smaller 'S', but they work in it's favour. This is an elegant, sleek costume with a very powerful outline. Many superhero costumes are overloaded and over busy - the Nolan Batman costumes for instance - but here Singer and co have tastefully kept it beautifully simple and strong. It recalls not only the Reeve outfit but also the 1950's Fleisher cartoons, hence the darker reds.

superman_returns_e.jpg
supermanfleischerimage1.jpg

See, again, like the Batman costume above, in that particular image there are elements that don't look so bad, but do when you see it in action on film.

As that shot is from a 'worm's eye' view, the fact that there is far too great a distance between the belt and the 'S' is not so noticeable, and by extension, the 'S' does not look as small as it does onscreen.
Look at the scene in the film where he enters the plane once he has landed it on the baseball field, it's the first shot in the movie of Superman standing normally, so we get a good look at the suit.
The 'S' is not only too small to have the impact it requires, but it's size and placing create the gap between it and the belt that leaves a large uninteresting blue expanse. Routh is relatively slim and gangly, the small 'S' and blue expanse only exemplifies that, so we lose the robust presence Superman should have onscreen.

6. Wolverine in the first, and only the first, X-Men movie. I still contend that Hugh Jackman only really 'played' Wolverine in the first movie, and in all the others he was playing a super-buffed up action hero and coasting on his own charisma. Hugh Jackman was acting in X1-! Look at X1 though; he was mean, agressive towards everyone, alienated, and yet a tragic hero underneath. Anyway, he also looks best in the first movie; they got his hair and sideburns perfectly, Hugh Jackman was muscled and lean instead of Superman-sized, and the X-Men suit was fuctional with some stylized elements.

On the characterisation, the first two films follow the arc of Wolverine's intergration into the X-Men quite faithfully, albeit condensed.
In the early years, yes, he was very much like the way you describe, but as time went on he mellowed towards the rest of the team, although it took longer for him to find respect for Cyclops than the rest of the team.
We got that in the second film.

As for Jackman's build in the 1st film, it fluctuates, due to his late casting he worked out as the film was being made. The scene where he wakes up in the mansion must've been one of his first shots, because he is a noticably more flabby there than in the first shot we see of him in the film, the cage fight.

Thanks for posting up the Spider-outfit info Chris, the main difference I noticed before was the lenses, didn't notice the back spider difference.

Front one's different, too. More stylized & with longer legs.
Costume 1:
9749991_1.jpg
11.png
spiderman2-1.gif

Costume 2:
setpicsjuly6.jpg
setpicsjuly18.jpg
72123.png

The Raimi Spidey costume is getting a lot of affection here but I have always found it lacking in character - the Andrew Garfield suit looks much more like Spider-Man to me, with the wiry but musclular body, the black webbing, and the better shaped head.

dyn005_original_382_330_gif_20580_c7a8536fa4541ee9f0f1d03de0a5b51f.gif
Spiderman_Image.jpg

Spidey costume from Spider-Man 2 is the best comic book movie costume ever
3316127455_831d5113fa.jpg

spiderman2_l.jpg

spider-man-2.jpg

wolverine1.jpg

Design-wise I prefer this one.
xmenlaststandwolverine3.jpg

I don't fully agree with you on the performance but his presence overall was more powerful here.
XMenPremiereWolvie.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"