2008 Presidential Election: You Decide!

black.jpg

How did SDI show the opposite? SDI was a program to research into setting up an anti-missile system that could protect the USA from attack. How is that trying to instigate anything? I never said Reagan ended the Cold War, but he helped to bring about the quickened close of the Cold War.

The SDI was a stupid plan from the get go. It was not possible at the time (hell, the best we've gotten with even a ground missile defense initiative was 50/50 success rate). Yet he dumped millions into it, despite the fact that it was impractical and countless others told him that.

I never remember Reagan ever giving a speech where he pleaded with the American people to hate the Soviets. If anything, he was just continuing the American policy of prevention, so as to halt the progress of the Soviet's "Iron Curtain". The guy was just trying to halt the increasing power of the Soviets, and that helped bring to Cold War to a close. Like it or not, he helped to stunt the influence of the Soviets which ultimately was a large plus for us.

Apparently you are not familiar with the difference between instigating the cold war and going on National TV begging people to hate Soviets, so we'll just move on.

And supply-side economics hurt us in the future? How has it hurt us so far? I don't see any major inflation or economic downturn since Reagan pulled us back out of a recession. If you're talking about the National Debt, the honor of it's large increase belongs to Bush, not Reagan.

Reaganomics did not curb the recession, the natural flow of the market curbed the recession. Supply side economics hurts in the long run as it gives tax cuts where we often cannot afford them. Furthermore, the entire principal is flawed, just because someone a cut doesn't mean he will put it in someone elses' pocket, he will keep his increased profit. The only people who benefit from Reaganomics are the rich where the middle and poor class just get a few extra bucks and suffer because of the programs cut by Reaganomic's tax cuts. That is how it is short sighted.

Neither would have Reagan's supporting of the middle-eastern movement to stop the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan hurt us if it weren't for leaders today. Reagan didn't start the problems in the Middle East. The succeeding presidents did, and his support of the Muslim groups trying to expel an invasion would not have hurt us in the future if it weren't for our piss-poor foreign policy.

Arming militant Muslims to fight an already collapsing Soviet Union is not a good idea, no matter how you paint it and it doesn't take a psychic to see the consequences that will come of it.

Sure, you can blame Reagan all you want. But he didn't have any hand in the political stratosphere after he left office. And that's a good, long 16-17 years. What he did was curb Soviet expansion, think about the protection of this country (SDI) and help a struggling economy get back on it's feet. You should remember him for what he did, not what happened afterwards because of some other jackasses who were in power.

It is a president's job to look beyond his 8 years. Besides, you claim that we can't blame Reagan for what happened afterwards, yet you conservatives have no problem blaming Clinton for Osama Bin Laden and the bad economy.

I can't even begin to point out whats wrong with this post, so I'm just going to go through it bit by bit.

So apparently not allowing the major parties to think for you is a sin in the world of politics?

Its nice to know, we live in a country where every child knows they could grow up to be president.....so long as they are a white male, with a chizzled jaw, and hair that is slightly gray around the temples.

Not hard considering who you guys elect...for godsakes, Ted Kennedy is STILL in office...AFTER THE DRUNK DRIVING MANSLAUGHTER THING!

Well by god, the fact that he can get other rich white people to write him a check shows that he is clearly our only choice for leader of the free world.

I'll concede that he is good fiscally.

I'm not really sure how this effects what kind of president he would make.

Umm, k? The requirement is 35, clearly you were pointing out that he exceeds that...I think. :huh:

I should hope a former CEO, governor, and Presidential candidate is smart...then again, look at Bush.

Come close? He lost by 20 percent.

Again, what the hell does this have to do with his being president?

A war that there is now a general consensus that we need to get the **** out of?

Why is every neo-con looking for the next Reagan? Reagan was at best an average president.

Really? Have you met him personally, because all reports that aren't released from his campaign staff say he is a grade A, ass hole.

And those values are having multiple wives. But seriously, who gives a **** if a guy is religious? How does it effect his ability to run a country?
All that being said though, Romney will likely get the Republican nomination provided a skeleton doesn't come out of his closet, and as long as the Democrats do an O.K. job with Congress, Romney's nomination will guaruntee them the White House, whoever they run.

k i cant do the multiple qoue thing so ill stick with this

So apparently not allowing the major parties to think for you is a sin in the world of politics?

no but to me it means you could be unpredictable.

Its nice to know, we live in a country where every child knows they could grow up to be president.....so long as they are a white male, with a chizzled jaw, and hair that is slightly gray around the temples.
well i was refering to that he doesnt look stupid like bush, sleazy like clinton, or just flat out wierd like kerry. i didnt say this is the only way a president should look, im just saying he doesnt have anything about him physically that could become the butt of jokes.

Not hard considering who you guys elect...for godsakes, Ted Kennedy is STILL in office...AFTER THE DRUNK DRIVING MANSLAUGHTER THING!
:woot: i dont for the guy i live by the "id rather hunt with dick cheney then go driving with ted kennedy" slogan politcally

Well by god, the fact that he can get other rich white people to write him a check shows that he is clearly our only choice for leader of the free world.
well by god if he get white people to give him money, he might know a thing or two about convincing people of things....the way hed have to convince foreign countries to take our side??????

:woot:

it doesnt, it was just a fact i stated.

Umm, k? The requirement is 35, clearly you were pointing out that he exceeds that...I think. :huh:
correct.

I should hope a former CEO, governor, and Presidential candidate is smart...then again, look at Bush.
sorry but when i looked at bush in 2000 i saw a dumbass n i dont see that in romney

everybody else loses by 50-100

nothing

A war that there is now a general consensus that we need to get the **** out of?
yea

Why is every neo-con looking for the next Reagan? Reagan was at best an average president.
neo con? reagan ended the cold war among other things and win his second election by what, 500 electoral votes?

Really? Have you met him personally, because all reports that aren't released from his campaign staff say he is a grade A, ass hole.
yes i have and he was very personable. where are these reports, cause if he was a ********, i doubt he woulda gotten that 6.5 million.

And those values are having multiple wives. But seriously, who gives a **** if a guy is religious? How does it effect his ability to run a country?
dem' southners religous....play big ol part in election

All that being said though, Romney will likely get the Republican nomination provided a skeleton doesn't come out of his closet, and as long as the Democrats do an O.K. job with Congress, Romney's nomination will guaruntee them the White House, whoever they run
I wouldnt say that all. Romneys not hard too like and has a very good record; he would not guarentee them the elction. that said i think the democrats will be default cause their not associated with bush.

k i cant do the multiple qoue thing so ill stick with this

no but to me it means you could be unpredictable.

well i was refering to that he doesnt look stupid like bush, sleazy like clinton, or just flat out wierd like kerry. i didnt say this is the only way a president should look, im just saying he doesnt have anything about him physically that could become the butt of jokes.

:woot: i dont for the guy i live by the "id rather hunt with dick cheney then go driving with ted kennedy" slogan politcally

well by god if he get white people to give him money, he might know a thing or two about convincing people of things....the way hed have to convince foreign countries to take our side??????

:woot:

it doesnt, it was just a fact i stated.

correct.

sorry but when i looked at bush in 2000 i saw a dumbass n i dont see that in romney

everybody else loses by 50-100

nothing

yea

neo con? reagan ended the cold war among other things and win his second election by what, 500 electoral votes?

yes i have and he was very personable. where are these reports, cause if he was a ********, i doubt he woulda gotten that 6.5 million.

dem' southners religous....play big ol part in election

All that being said though, Romney will likely get the Republican nomination provided a skeleton doesn't come out of his closet, and as long as the Democrats do an O.K. job with Congress, Romney's nomination will guaruntee them the White House, whoever they run
I wouldnt say that all. Romneys not hard too like and has a very good record; he would not guarentee them the elction. that said i think the democrats will be default cause their not associated with bush.

There is really only two things about this post I have the desire/energy to respond to tonight.

1) Reagan did not end the Cold War. The Soviets destroyed themselves. If it were Mondale in office the same exact thing would've happened. If anything, Reagan tried to instigate the Soviets during a period when foreign relations were fairly good thanks to Carter. Hell, the detente had been in effect since Nixon and Reagan tried to pretty much light up the fires of the Cold War again.

2) Romney is too similar too Bush. He is pretty much a neo-con. The Republicans if they want any shot at winning will have to run a middle of the road moderate (someone like Huckabee or Giulliani). Romney or another neo-Con like Santorum would be a better bet for Vice-President...although Massachusettes is pretty much a lost cause for Republicans, so Santorum is more likely as he hails from a battleground state.

As it stands right now, I am not too impressed with many of the candidates that are running. I like John Edwards and Bill Richardson and would consider supporting either one. I like Barack Obama, but 2008 is too early for him. I wouldn't mind seeing Al Gore jump in. What I really want is for Mark Warner to reconsider and run. I stand by the notion that he epitomizes what the country needs in the next President.

My ideal tickets would be:
Mark Warner/Evan Bayh
John Edwards/Wesley Clark
Bill Richardson/Russ Feingold
Al Gore/Mark Warner
Barack Obama/Evan Bayh

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members