Days of Future Past 3 Reasons "Days Of Future Past" Is Actually X4

That really doesn't make sense.If Fox really wanted to reboot so badly they would have just done It.

Not necessarily. Timing is everything and having Bryan on board may have played a key factor in keeping this particular cast together.

Keep in mind FOX is already rebooting Fantastic Four completely--all new cast, new director, new everything. And that franchise isn't even as old as this one. So it's certainly a strong possibility. The studio is clearly not against the concept of rebooting if it's necessary.

There Is almost no way James marsden will be In DOFP since all films are Cannon.

The cannon logic can't be applied exclusively here because Xavier was f***ing vaporized by Dark Phoenix in X3. And he got a funeral. LOL And yet Patrick Stewart is signed on for Days Of Future Past soooo...never say never. :cool:

Besides, it's been confirmed by a large number of on-line resources, including The Hollywood Reporter, that James Marsden was a focus of the studio at least as late as last December. So who knows? We didn't *see* him die in X3, unlike Charles Xavier.

By that logic, it might as well leave you with X-Men 5, while The Wolverine that takes places after The Last Stand and leads into Days of Future Past is X-Men 4.

Definitely a plausibility BMM. :up:

I guess my point is that perhaps we as fans should hang up the idea of seeing a direct continuation of X3 with a future X4--when it may be happening sooner than we could've possibly imagined with Days Of Future Past.

Thats like saying The Avengers was Iron Man 3, Thor 2 and Captain America 2. Thats why I don't agree with DOFP being X4 and First Class 2 at the same time.

The Avengers wasn't Iron Man 3 or Thor 2 because it effectively started a completely new series. Using the characters from the other series, but also serving as an introduction for the viewers who never watched the stand-alone films. That's unlikely to be the case for DoFP.

If the "Future" aspect take place even one day after the events of X3, wouldn't that automatically make this a sequel to that film?

I think the fact that this future is meant to be wiped out by the end of the film kinda complicates things.

Say you call this a sequel to X3, and then afterwards you make another film with the original cast. It can't be a sequel to DoFP because that version of the future would not exist and have no continuation. Would it be another sequel to X3 then, and what would that make of DoFP?

The next film will either be a new starting point for the modern X Men via an altered history from 1973. Or a continuation of FC within their own timeline.

Its a fresh start any way you look at it.

They already were provided a door for bringing back Xavier.Not so for Cyclops.

The hollywood reporter never said James Marsden was In neogrations they included him as one who would have to talk to.

FF was never as sucessfull as X-men.So that's not a good compassion.

A reboot of X-men concerns me because MS films are basiclly the ultimate Marvel universe on screen.

If Fox Is so determine for some kind of reboot they are mor elikely to play the J.J. Abrams card and use time travel to erase X-Men trilogy,Origins,and The Wolverine and use ending of first class era scenes In DOOFP as starting point for future.

Say you call this a sequel to X3, and then afterwards you make another film with the original cast. It can't be a sequel to DoFP because that version of the future would not exist and have no continuation. Would it be another sequel to X3 then, and what would that make of DoFP?

Okay, that made even my brain explode. :funny:

Not necessarily. Timing is everything and having Bryan on board may have played a key factor in keeping this particular cast together.

Keep in mind FOX is already rebooting Fantastic Four completely--all new cast, new director, new everything. And that franchise isn't even as old as this one. So it's certainly a strong possibility. The studio is clearly not against the concept of rebooting if it's necessary.

FOX rebooted Fantastic Four because they lost confidence continuing the series after Rise of the Silver Surfer's performance at the box-office and they have to do another FF movie before the movie rights goes back to Marvel. Its not the same thing with X-Men.

Not that you can take what Mark Millar says as a gospel, but he did refer to The Wolverine and First Class as new starting points for the franchise. Which would be a strange thing to say if they then planned to hop back to the original series and cast.

Not that you can take what Mark Millar says as a gospel, but he did refer to The Wolverine and First Class as new starting points for the franchise. Which would be a strange thing to say if they then planned to hop back to the original series and cast.

And The Wolverine is set after the original trilogy and the actor portraying Wolverine is also part of the original series/cast.

Last edited:
Um The Wolverine takes place after X-Men trilogy and has Hugh jackman as wolverine
and reportly a Famke Janssen cameo.And First Class has tons of connections to Bryan
Singer's X-men.Not exactly what you would do for a reboot.

It would be stranger if after DOFP all we got were movies with the FC cast, Wolverine movies, and no movies featuring the original series cast.

And The Wolverine is set after the original trilogy and the actor portraying is also part of the original series/cast.

It is, but other than Jean cameo it doesn't look like there are many ties to the original trilogy in it. The director said that it is set after X3 but is not really a sequel to it; it seems like they want it to be more of a stand-alone thing with a completely new setting.

I don't think Millar was talking about reboot exactly, but more like a new starting ground.

Millar Is talking more about quality for future films.Plus part of job starting with the Wolverine Is to make films flow better together.Plus there Is some kind of tieIn to DOFP
In the wolverine.

That really doesn't make sense.If Fox really wanted to reboot so badly they would have just done It.

You say that, while ignoring the fact that Fox would never have rebooted while still trying to launch a successful Wolverine franchise, starring Jackman's Wolverine. Now, it's 3 films later and Jackman will have played Wolverine 7 times. In addition, the First Class cast has contracts that expire after one more film, and Fox clearly isn't confident in that cast's ability to maintain its own franchise. That potentially leaves Fox with the original cast, but I don't envision all of them sticking around for another trilogy, nor do I expect audiences to remain as interested in them as they were 15 years ago or even as much as they are in Days of Future Past.

Where does that leave Fox? Does the studio lose older characters and introduce new ones? New villains? If so, that potentially takes Fox back to the problems it has with the First Class cast. I don't know what the studio plans to do, but I wouldn't be surprised if some kind of reboot/reset talk has occurred or will occur in the near future.

Definitely a plausibility BMM. :up:

I guess my point is that perhaps we as fans should hang up the idea of seeing a direct continuation of X3 with a future X4--when it may be happening sooner than we could've possibly imagined with Days Of Future Past.

Yes, in a way. I think this is the closest people will get to a direct continuation of The Last Stand, without it being a follow up to just that movie.

The next film will either be a new starting point for the modern X Men via an altered history from 1973. Or a continuation of FC within their own timeline.

Its a fresh start any way you look at it.

Agreed.

A reboot of X-men concerns me because MS films are basiclly the ultimate Marvel universe on screen.

Why would that concern you, when the X-Men franchise has never been that faithful to the 616 universe to begin with? If anything can be learned from Marvel Studios, it's that comic book movies don't always have to shy away from the more colorful and outlandish elements of the books that some fans have come to love. I doubt that Fox would go in the opposite direction and continue with the grounded, Ultimate approach. Been there, done that.

Last edited:
I don't see XM: DoFP as X4.

I see it as X-Men First Class 2. It could leave us with a teaser/set-up for X4 though.

If DoFP is the end of the First Class storyline, that means we don't get to see Jean, Cyclops and Storm recruited to the school in the 80s to bring it full circle and right up to X1. Unless, somehow (and regardless of timeline possibilities), those three are recruited in DoFP to become the first true X-Men and help stop the assassination and the Sentinels. Not sure where that leaves Banshee and Havok.

I don't see XM: DoFP as X4.

I see it as X-Men First Class 2. It could leave us with a teaser/set-up for X4 though.

If DoFP is the end of the First Class storyline, that means we don't get to see Jean, Cyclops and Storm recruited to the school in the 80s to bring it full circle and right up to X1. Unless, somehow (and regardless of timeline possibilities), those three are recruited in DoFP to become the first true X-Men and help stop the assassination and the Sentinels. Not sure where that leaves Banshee and Havok.

I do hope it's not the end of the FC storyline. It'd be nice if they made full use of the actor's 3-picture contracts. Not to mention, despite less-than-hoped-for box office returns, the First Class was extremely well received and many people who never were into the old trilogy or who had left it behind felt invigorated by the new take. I sincerely hope they keep going. And I do hope the 10 year jump wasn't done in the name of tying off the FC series in order to continue with the old cast...

what would be interesting is that if cyclops and jean are introduced in this film in the 70s and there is time travel involving alot of the original trilogy guys then that means we would get

cyclops,jean,storm,iceman,rogue,kitty and wolverine saving the day

which would be more like the comic book team, although that would be tough work to make that work and have it make sense in the timeline

I'll just have a hard time deciding where DOFP will go in chronological order in my blu-ray collection :D.

After First Class and before the Original Trilogy...or after X3.

Time will tell :)

Timing is everything and having Bryan on board may have played a key factor in keeping this particular cast together.

The studio is clearly not against the concept of rebooting if it's necessary.

The cannon logic can't be applied exclusively here because Xavier was f***ing vaporized by Dark Phoenix in X3. And he got a funeral. LOL And yet Patrick Stewart is signed on for Days Of Future Past soooo...never say never. :cool:

Key.

People should remember: it's allll about what's best for box office...oh, and the story -- and when you can get these two elements reasonably in sync, as Singer seems to be doing with FOX, then there is potential for something special.

First Class was simply not the hit that FOX wanted it to be.

But that also doesn't mean that FOX/Singer are going to mortgage a portion of their bank vault just to get Halle Berry back.

How do you improve while retaining elements that make the franchise unique? Getting Singer back into the fold (and into the director's chair) is the first step. Even he now realizes how well he fits into this universe. It doesn't mean an automatic reprisal of every single cast member or familiar element, though.

And no, he won't be using Rat's "back door" excuse for Xavier's survival...count on something completely different, here.

:word:

I doubt Halle Berry costs that much. You guys think she's the Queen when it comes to movie salaries. She hasn't done many high profile movies, in fact she's mainly done indie movies, her first hollywood movie since perfect Stranger will be The Call.

Halle would more than likely come no matter how much they offered her. (she did Movie 43 for like $800) DoFp is practically a guaranteed blockbuster hit and she's going to need one of them to help reignite her career, depending on how well The Call does.

I hate to say it but...I honestly think this will be the last time we see the First Class cast. There is only so far they can take the prequel approach, much like the Star Wars films. FC played an important role in refreshing interest in this franchise, but its job is done. It created a bridge to what is happening now. But I've never believed that Fox intended on making a whole series with the FC cast; it was always about bringing it back to front and center with the classic X-Men. This Days Of Future Past will be the first foray into that.

After this film drops, I 100% expect Fox to retire everything and everyone we associate with this franchise and start over completely with a real reboot with new actors, storylines, etc. Kinda like what Marvel/Sony did with The Amazing Spider-Man after the Tobey McGuire films reached their peak. The shelf life for this particular X-Men cast is nearing its expiration date. This 2014 film is about wrapping up all the loose ends, which explains why Fox is pursuing James Marsden for a role in the project as well. I think they want to send this thing off big and proper-like for the fans and to open up the doors for something bigger to challenge the success of what Marvel Studios is enjoying right now.

Don't think so. There's a reason Mark Millar was hired, and a reason he says FC, and The Wolverine are new starting points for the series - similar to what Iron Man was for Marvel.

With all the talk of an expanded universe, I fully expect to see the series not only continue, but to showcase other teams and stories. Not only another present day X-Men film, but an X-Force movie, or a New Mutants film, etc. All taking place in the same universe and having small threads that link them together.

I doubt Halle Berry costs that much. You guys think she's the Queen when it comes to movie salaries. She hasn't done many high profile movies, in fact she's mainly done indie movies, her first hollywood movie since perfect Stranger will be The Call.

Halle would more than likely come no matter how much they offered her. (she did Movie 43 for like $800) DoFp is practically a guaranteed blockbuster hit and she's going to need one of them to help reignite her career, depending on how well The Call does.

If you're referring to me above...yes, perhaps I worded that wrongly.

What I meant was: they're not aiming to get every single original cast member back just because they can.

Singer is using the "it may not be right for the story" excuse...which for the film story they're planning, may even be...[gasp] right!

:word:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"