360 controller redesign with improved D-pad

StrainedEyes

All the way up it!
Reaction score
"A subtly redesigned Xbox 360 controller has been spotted on the showroom floor at this year's Games Convention in Leipzig, sporting a new-feel d-pad that addresses the previously unresponsive and spongy model.

While aesthetically identical to the previous controller, the d-pad has been re-engineered to offer more instant control, with an eight way input taking place of the previous four. A brief hands-on with the controller playing Pro Evolution 2009 proved that the redesign has been effective, with the d-pad sitting in a larger rocker and proving more tactile.

It's expected to release at the same time as this year's Pro Evolution Soccer, and the re-design is thought to have been inspired by the imminent release of Street Fighter IV. "

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/900/900487p1.html

So...the perfect game controller is on the way? Good news.

Cool, I'll hold off on buying a new one until then :up:

its about time. The dpad is the worst thing on the controller. The problem for me though was the location of it, not how it felt. They really shoulc consider moving it more towards the left, like under the analog stick

I've never had a problem with the D-pad, but I haven't really played any fighting games since maybe Mortal Kombat 3, so I don't use the pad TOO much.

But hey, cool.

Redesigned Xbox 360 Controller Is Not Arriving in North America

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/54286
Microsoft has confirmed to Shacknews that there are indeed no plans to bring the "optimized" D-Pad to North America in any form.

"Basically, the controller will only be available for a limited time in Europe, Asia and Latin America, and has been optimized for certain games that are D-pad intensive," explained a Microsoft representative.

"There are no plans to make those changes to the existing wireless controllers at this time. However, the Xbox 360 wireless controller is one of the most popular controllers of all time and we're confident that it will continue to provide the complete gaming experience."

Original Story: A revised Xbox 360 controller with a more precise directional pad will hit Europe on October 24, Microsoft has revealed.

Said to be "optimized" for Konami's Pro Evolution Soccer series, the green controller is billed as a "a limited edition promotional item that is only available in Europe, Asia and Latin America while supplies last," the company told Eurogamer.

Many gamers have complained that the Xbox 360's directional pad suffers from precision issues, leading to character movement in unintended directions and frustration in titles such as Bionic Commando Rearmed.

"We're always looking to improve products and we made these changes based on feedback from gamers," claimed Microsoft. "The new limited-edition green wireless controller offers enhancements to D-pad functionality, which will add to the experience of playing games where the D-pad is the primary control mechanism."

Given Microsoft's phrasing, it is possible that the revised D-pad could make its way to North America, just not alongside that specific green controller. Shacknews has contacted Microsoft for more details.

Just not in that lime green color that matches what you blow out your nose when you have a cold

Bleh, lime green? I'm dying for a pink controller, but they're so rare here.

Guess ima grab this, iv been needing a new controller as mine has too many miles on it. Dont really need the improved d-pad but it wont hurt when Street Fighter IV drops, that is if i get it for the 360.

its about time. The dpad is the worst thing on the controller. The problem for me though was the location of it, not how it felt. They really shoulc consider moving it more towards the left, like under the analog stick

Yea, its like the opposite of the PS3's controller. With that, the analog stick is in a bad location, yet the d-pad is perfect and on the 360, the analog is perfect yet the d-pad could use a change in location. With that said tho, being that most games require movement with the analog, the placement of the d-pad is fine.

I've never had any problems with the d-pad while playing games on the 360. The only time it can be annoying for me is when I play my NES emulator, since it can't detect the analog stick. All the others can though

It's about ruddy time. But if you're hardcore, you use an arcade stick anyway. :cwink:

I don't play fighting games, so an arcade stick would be a waste of my money

Street Fighter II was by far the MOST frustrating game to play on the Xbox b/c of the *****ty D-Pad...This is welcome news but I fail to see how a "LOOSER" d-pad will make the game better?

The whole reason I hated the Xbox Dpad was because it felt too loose and I prefer the rigid Nintendo D-pad style better. The diagonal buttons is where the problem lies and making that more loose will make me jump backwards while Im trying to block..which was already bad with the Xbox's original crappy D-pad. I just can't see that making it better for Street Fighter IV???

Microsoft has gotten their prototype ass-backwards! MAKE IT MORE RIGID!

I've never had any problems with the d-pad while playing games on the 360. The only time it can be annoying for me is when I play my NES emulator, since it can't detect the analog stick. All the others can though
thats true. Its really an issue when using games that are played on a 2D plane which tends to be fighting games and classic games.

If I can get my NES emulator to detect the analog stick on my 360 controller, then my annoyance will be gone.

However, I'm not going to buy a new controller over an annoyance. I buy one after the controller breaks

Street Fighter II was by far the MOST frustrating game to play on the Xbox b/c of the *****ty D-Pad...This is welcome news but I fail to see how a "LOOSER" d-pad will make the game better?

The whole reason I hated the Xbox Dpad was because it felt too loose and I prefer the rigid Nintendo D-pad style better. The diagonal buttons is where the problem lies and making that more loose will make me jump backwards while Im trying to block..which was already bad with the Xbox's original crappy D-pad. I just can't see that making it better for Street Fighter IV???

Microsoft has gotten their prototype ass-backwards! MAKE IT MORE RIGID!

The problem isnt being loose or being rigid... the current controller doesnt even have a diagonal direction. Only up, left, down, right. The added directions will make it feel MORE responsive, because there'll be distinctions every couple degrees

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"