5.22 - Vessel (Season Finale Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Red X said:
Watched it again and two things...

How does Lex know he is invunerable
And does Clark fly off to catch the ring thing of Lex's, or does he get sucked in?
I wasn't sure at first either, but his ebing in the Phantom Zone tells me he was sucked in.

Red X said:
It's not made clear.

I think the little nod from Zod and the fact that he went crashing through the wall backwards in the loft was a pretty strong indication that he was sucked in.

I WAS RIGHT I WAS RIGHT!!!!

TV Guide: What exactly happened when Clark threw the dagger at Fine?
Gough:
This was something that got cut out of the episode for various reasons: Remember when Clark impaled Fine on the Fortress console [in the November-sweeps "Solitude" episode]? Basically, Fine infected the console. Fine is a computer and is all about probabilities, so he knew that if he went after Lex, that would lead Clark back to Jor-El, and Jor-El would tell Clark to get rid of the vessel, and Clark would never do that. Fine sort of calculated what Clark would do based on what Clark had done previously, which is always to protect humanity and not kill anybody. That was his endgame.

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Insider/default.htm?rssDate=05182006

But still shouldn't Zod's spirit have been beamed out of the Phantom zone, as shown in Solitude and not the console.

Kaboom said:
Reminds me of an old Beatles song.....Let it Be.
this one?

When he finds himself in times of trouble
Father Jor-El comes to him
Speaking words of wisdom, obey me

And in his hour of darknes
He is portal in the FOS

obey me, obey me, obey me, obey me
whisper words of wisdom, obey me

And when the broken hearted Lana
living in Zod's world agrees
there will be an answer, obey me

for though they maybe parted
there is still a chance that they will see

obey me, obey me...............

And when the night is cloudy
there is phantom zone that holds on him
hold until next season, obey me

:)

BaK said:
this one?

He is portal in the FOS

^ Hey, that's pretty good. It works, both with the song and the episode. Nice! :up:

Red X said:
But still shouldn't Zod's spirit have been beamed out of the Phantom zone, as shown in Solitude and not the console.

Unless of course there are many rings and the Phantom Zone projector is actually in the FOS...

Man, they really dropped the ball with the editing and script in that episode.

BaK said:
this one?

He is portal in the FOS

Too funny! :up: :)

Zod: You have your father's eyes. Hello Kal - El
Clark: o_O Dude, are you coming on to me!?
Zod: Of course not, but now that you mention it... Brainiac, Fine, whatever your name is. Fetch me some pink kryptonite!

Okay, so I rewatched Vessel last night and there were a couple of things that I missed the first time around.

Lois and Martha are on the brink of suffocating on the plane and we see Lois trying to do her kung fu (or is that Loisfu) on the cock pit door whilst Martha is trying to make a phone call on her cell phone.

One would presume that she was trying to call Clark, who was unfortunately out of range in the PZ. We never see her get through or hang up, so there lies a possibility on how Clark can track down the plane when he returns. Martha's call went through to his message bank and he hears everything that has taken place.

Secondly, I was always a little worried that when Lana came to realise the mistake that she had made with Lex, that it would fall back on Clark and Chloe for not revealing more to her about how devious Lex had been over the past year.

However, when Lana goes to meet Lex on the roof of Luthorcorp Plaza, she says to Lex that at first she thought that he was putting her through one of his tests.

Now the only person that I know of that he has tested has been Clark, specifically in Mortal.

It kind of suggested to me that perhaps she did know, maybe not the specifics, of the events in Mortal regarding the thugs kidnapping her and the Kents, just so that Lex could test Clark. Lana backs this theory up the following week in Hidden when she bursts into Lex's office and tells him that Clark is just a normal person and throws Clark's medical records at Lex as proof.

Thoughts??:confused: :confused:

avidreader said:
Okay, so I rewatched Vessel last night and there were a couple of things that I missed the first time around.

Lois and Martha are on the brink of suffocating on the plane and we see Lois trying to do her kung fu (or is that Loisfu) on the cock pit door whilst Martha is trying to make a phone call on her cell phone.

One would presume that she was trying to call Clark, who was unfortunately out of range in the PZ. We never see her get through or hang up, so there lies a possibility on how Clark can track down the plane when he returns. Martha's call went through to his message bank and he hears everything that has taken place.

Secondly, I was always a little worried that when Lana came to realise the mistake that she had made with Lex, that it would fall back on Clark and Chloe for not revealing more to her about how devious Lex had been over the past year.

However, when Lana goes to meet Lex on the roof of Luthorcorp Plaza, she says to Lex that at first she thought that he was putting her through one of his tests.

Now the only person that I know of that he has tested has been Clark, specifically in Mortal.

It kind of suggested to me that perhaps she did know, maybe not the specifics, of the events in Mortal regarding the thugs kidnapping her and the Kents, just so that Lex could test Clark. Lana backs this theory up the following week in Hidden when she bursts into Lex's office and tells him that Clark is just a normal person and throws Clark's medical records at Lex as proof.

Thoughts??:confused: :confused:

I think you make a really good point about the "tests" and how much Lana knows about Lex. We the viewer saw Lex test Clark in Mortal, but to my knowledge, I don't think Lex has ever "tested" Lana in any other way. So she could in fact have some kind of knowledge about Lex's test in Mortal. It would seem to explain how pissed she is at Lex in Hidden.

Another theory: perhaps she could have been referring to Lex's dealings with Milton Fine? Though Lex's dealings with Fine didn't seem to consist of any tests per se...maybe Lana is more aware of Lex's trust issues through her interaction with Lex in regards to the spaceship/Fine/vaccine stuff.

Either way, I think it's clear that Lana is making the statement: I know you've done evil in the past, but I'm here proving myself to you. At this point, if Lana blames Clark or Chloe during Season Six for not informing her of the depths of Lex's dark side--I'll be mighty pissed.

One of the things that I want to see in Season Six is Lana not rely so heavily on the people around her; I want to see Lana take responsibility for her actions. I think it would be a real disservice to her character to make her so weak as to immediately turn to blaming Clark and Chloe for not "telling". Lana is (often) a smart girl, and she should own up to her willingness to be put through Lex's "test" in Vessel, even after all of the events that she knows from Arrival, Hidden, and (possibly) Mortal.

TKodami said:
One of the things that I want to see in Season Six is Lana not rely so heavily on the people around her; I want to see Lana take responsibility for her actions. I think it would be a real disservice to her character to make her so weak as to immediately turn to blaming Clark and Chloe for not "telling". Lana is (often) a smart girl, and she should own up to her willingness to be put through Lex's "test" in Vessel, even after all of the events that she knows from Arrival, Hidden, and (possibly) Mortal.

This is what I'm worried about too. There is no growth for her as a character, if every time she is seen to be doing something wrong or misjudgemental (is that a word?) the responsibility of it falls back on other characters because of the way they she is treated on the show.

Everybody seems to tip toe around Lana in case she'll break, which goes back to her Season 1 feelings of being the Princess on the Time Magazine Cover.

I guess this is why a part of me wants to see Lana and Chloe have an all out beyatch fight, because I want to see Lana called out on some of the decisions she makes.

After watching Mortal and Hidden these last couple of weeks, she had an underlying distrust of Lex, then because he provides her with the things that she needs to hear and feel, he's the perfect man.

I guess I just want to see her move forward from being the victim all the time and be responsible for some of her own decisions. Its the only way that she is going to move past this feeling of abandonment and loneliness that she always appears to carry around with her and I hope that line in Vessel about "being tested" was a start to this.

avidreader said:
This is what I'm worried about too. There is no growth for her as a character, if every time she is seen to be doing something wrong or misjudgemental (is that a word?) the responsibility of it falls back on other characters because of the way they she is treated on the show.

Everybody seems to tip toe around Lana in case she'll break, which goes back to her Season 1 feelings of being the Princess on the Time Magazine Cover.

I guess this is why a part of me wants to see Lana and Chloe have an all out beyatch fight, because I want to see Lana called out on some of the decisions she makes.

Maybe if the writers play up the Lana and Lois friendship that's been forming, we might see a Lana/Lois chick fight instead. I think that Lois is probably more likely to be the one to "tell it how it is." Also I think Lois has the advantage here, in that she doesn't view Lana as the fragile Princess that everyone else seems to treat her as.

I'd love to see a fight like this, because it could be the moment where Lana take a long look at her life and realize that she does need to stop playing the victim.

After watching Mortal and Hidden these last couple of weeks, she had an underlying distrust of Lex, then because he provides her with the things that she needs to hear and feel, he's the perfect man.

I guess I just want to see her move forward from being the victim all the time and be responsible for some of her own decisions. Its the only way that she is going to move past this feeling of abandonment and loneliness that she always appears to carry around with her and I hope that line in Vessel about "being tested" was a start to this.

I'm also afraid that AlMiles are going to go this route. They talk about Smallville as an epic tragedy (though I'd argue that it's more in-line with everyday, more mundane--but still heart-wrenching--tragedy that we all experience in life). If Smallville is going to play out as a tragedy and end "badly" as they love to put it, Lana may never (at least within the scope of the show) be able to overcome her abandonment issues. She may always play the role of the victim. Gosh I hope that doesn't happen. :(

TKodami said:
Maybe if the writers play up the Lana and Lois friendship that's been forming, we might see a Lana/Lois chick fight instead. I think that Lois is probably more likely to be the one to "tell it how it is." Also I think Lois has the advantage here, in that she doesn't view Lana as the fragile Princess that everyone else seems to treat her as.

I'd love to see a fight like this, because it could be the moment where Lana take a long look at her life and realize that she does need to stop playing the victim.

Lois could be a good character to do this as she also doesnt hold a mantel for Clark like Chloe does. She calls it as she sees it. I like the sound of that.
:up:

I'm also afraid that AlMiles are going to go this route. They talk about Smallville as an epic tragedy (though I'd argue that it's more in-line with everyday, more mundane--but still heart-wrenching--tragedy that we all experience in life). If Smallville is going to play out as a tragedy and end "badly" as they love to put it, Lana may never (at least within the scope of the show) be able to overcome her abandonment issues. She may always play the role of the victim. Gosh I hope that doesn't happen. :(

Well they do speak of the tragedy in terms of Clark not ending up with Lana. So I would hope that the tragedy is more along the lines of Clark leaving his home, his girl and basically his comfort zone to take on the big unknown wide world.

avidreader said:
Well they do speak of the tragedy in terms of Clark not ending up with Lana. So I would hope that the tragedy is more along the lines of Clark leaving his home, his girl and basically his comfort zone to take on the big unknown wide world.

I too, hope that "the tragedy" is that Clark has to leave Lana behind to move out into the unknown (well, Metropolis isn't exactly an unknown)--but the way the show has been moving, with Lana being more of the world traveler, and with Metropolis being so close, I think that the "tragedy" arc of the show will have to involve some fundamental inability for Lana to overcome her past rather than Clark having to leave her for the rest of the world.

And that makes me sad. :(

I want to see her become a strong, independant person.

grey_jeanie said:
Lana bores me :o

That's fine. Not everyone will like every character. I find her interesting, albeit angering sometimes.

I don't get it. Who is it that should beat up on Lana first to teach her a lesson? Chloe or Lois?

How about both at once?

Sorry, that is snark. But it just seems like the focus of most of the actual ep conversations here lately is looking for reasons that Lana sucks. It's really disheartening and disappointing.

Serene said:
I don't get it. Who is it that should beat up on Lana first to teach her a lesson? Chloe or Lois?

How about both at once?

Sorry, that is snark. But it just seems like the focus of most of the actual ep conversations here lately is looking for reasons that Lana sucks. It's really disheartening and disappointing.

I totally don't think she sucks. I'm sorry you got that vibe from my posts. I see Lana's character as someone I used to be: always treated as a fragile girl that can't handle the real world or the hard truths about people. I was a dependant person; I had major abandonment issues. I've acted like she's acted.

What it took was a moment of hurtful realisation of who I was (won't go into the specifics here). I've become much more independant and strong-willed because of it. I came to that realisation through alot of self-inspection. Boring, undramatic stuff basically.

For a dramatic, visual medium, you need something more um, dramatic to show the inner turmoil that a character needs to go through. You need to have that one decisive turning point. I think that an argument between Lana and one of her friends might be a good catalyst because frankly, two characters arguing has the dramatic element that simply "writing in my journal" or simply "waking up to this realisation in the morning" lacks.

As a character, you can't deny the fact that Lana needs to change if she ever wants to live a healthy life within or without of the scope of the show. However I do find the particular drama of her character very interesting, and I enjoy watching her--hoping that ultimately, she'll have the chance to grow beyond the tragedy of her circumstances.

TK and Sue.. please don't take my post too seriously. I apologize for coming off so snarky. I'm very, very tired and stressed this week about way too many RL things. Of course you are both entitled to hold whatever opinions you want, even if I don't like them. I just don't agree that Lana is the "bad guy" regardless of her issues. There isn't a character on this show who doesn't have issues, she just seems to get a lot more grief and a lot less understanding for hers.

I really like both of you, and hope I haven't been too offensive. I'd delete the post, but that seems kinda chickenschitt. What's laid is played, right?

Serene said:
TK and Sue.. please don't take my post too seriously. I apologize for coming off so snarky. I'm very, very tired and stressed this week about way too many RL things. Of course you are both entitled to hold whatever opinions you want, even if I don't like them. I just don't agree that Lana is the "bad guy" regardless of her issues. There isn't a character on this show who doesn't have issues, she just seems to get a lot more grief and a lot less understanding for hers.

I really like both of you, and hope I haven't been too offensive. I'd delete the post, but that seems kinds chickenschitt. What's laid is played, right?

Yeah, I totally understand the weariness of holding the banner (not quite being a flag waver, but close :D) for a character that seemingly every one else is against. No hard feelings whatsoever. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"