5.22 - Vessel (Season Finale Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Serene said:
This is a really good point, Rump. I usually watch new episodes at least twice.. sometimes more :O , but I haven't re-watched Vessel at all. Too many season finales to get in this week! And I guess I just wasn't as motivated. Perhaps, I'll like it more the second time around, I usually do.

I'm going to be home and out of commission for a few days though.. so I plan on watching season 5 again, from start to finish, that's the goal at least. :)

I haven't had the chance to rewatch Vessel either--I figure that I'll give it a few more weeks (after some big due dates pass). My initial feeling after watching Vessel was disappointment--it was a good episode, but I wanted a jaw-droppingly awesome episode--but I expect that feeling to change by the time Season 6 rolls around.

I was hoping that Vessel would top Commencement--but I realize now that probably no season finale of Smallville will ever have everything going for it like Commencement did. I also realize that because the rest of S4 wasn't as strong as its finale, Commencement was a real gem in the rough; S5 was so strong that I don't think any finale would have had that same stand-out quality.

Until I see the S6 premiere, my opinion of Vessel will remain in a holding pattern. I'm fairly confident that once someone kneels before Zod, I will be satisfied. :O

tonytr1687 said:
If you dont believe that Lex is the way he is b/c of how ppl have treated him...then you havnt been paying attention to his character development over the last 5 years. He's supposed to be a tragic character on the show...accept it.

Wow! I could so run with this but I might come across as being anything but nice. I'll just quote Pat as she says it better than I ever could.

AgentPat said:
Actually, it's a combination of both, and THAT is the point. Everybody has a dark side - even Clark. That was pointed out and driven home in episodes like Phoenix. There's a darkness in Lex that he can't control - he said it himself. While most of the population manages to keep a lid on that aspect of their psyches, Lex isn't able to do it, and that's as much a result of his nature as it was his nurture. That's Lex Luthor.

Tonytr said:
And seriously, why were all of you disappointed by this episode? It was awesome! If you're upset b/c u didnt see Zod in his own body then get real...you should have known long ago that they werent gonna show much of Zod. If they arent gonna show Jor-El theyre not gonna show Zod. Its not a big deal, its still him ony we get to see the terrific Rosebaum play the part, which I think is an ingenious idea.

Not sure if you are talking to me, but I loved this finale. I thought the story was a really powerful one. I voted it as my favourie finale.

Rumpuso said:
I find, quite often actually with Smallville, my appreciation for an episode grows after I view it a second or third time. I go into episodes wanting so much, expecting so much, and when things turn out differently than what I was hoping for (how dare they!), I feel disappointed at first. When I rewatched Vessel, I enjoyed it quite a bit more; especially the scene between Clark and Lex then Zod. Fabulous.

I agree.

Serene said:
I'm going to be home and out of commission for a few days though.. so I plan on watching season 5 again, from start to finish, that's the goal at least.

That sounds like fun. I havent kept all the episodes from this season, I thought I might enjoy the re-runs and the DVD set more if I hadnt watched every episode to death.

Triplets review is up at Ksite and I think she's done a fantastic job. She's reviewed the content of the episode rather than reviewing what she wanted and didnt get.

Good job Triplet!:up:

avidreader said:
Triplets review is up at Ksite and I think she's done a fantastic job. She's reviewed the content of the episode rather than reviewing what she didnt get.

Good job Triplet!:up:

Thanks for pointing out that Triplet's review is up, avid. :)

I especially agree with Triplet's comment regarding Glen Winter's photography. The last scene with Zod and Lana on top of Luthercorp was stunning. :up:

musclesforsupes said:
Looks like Zod has been Jor'el all along.

That makes no sense as why would Zod want Clark to kill the Vessel (Lex) that Zod was going to use ? Clark would have never willingly been his Vessel & if Clark killed Lex then Zod would have no Vessel. Clark would pretty much no matter what get stuck in The Phantom Zone

to me it looks like fos jor el is jor el, and spaceship jor-el is zod.

AgentPat said:
Actually, it's a combination of both, and THAT is the point. Everybody has a dark side - even Clark. That was pointed out and driven home in episodes like Phoenix. There's a darkness in Lex that he can't control - he said it himself. While most of the population manages to keep a lid on that aspect of their psyches, Lex isn't able to do it, and that's as much a result of his nature as it was his nurture. That's Lex Luthor.

Not sure who you're addressing, but I'm in full agreement with Avid. I think many people aren't seeing the finer details of Vessel and making assumptions based on incomplete data. The angle with Lana, for example, was PERFECTLY explained by Fine himself. He told Clark that a man like Zod would value her allegiance (which is what made Clark snap), yet people still don't understand why Zod didn't toss Lana off the roof? Hello?!!! Pay attention! :p

Oh, IMO her allegience isn't the only thing Zod wants. I think he wants to take over Lex's life.... He never corrected her about whom she was actually addressing when she was doing all that talking.

He let her think that he was still Lex. I think that is pretty scary... He can get a lot more done as Lex (someone who was experimented on by aliens) than he ever could as an alien inhabiting a human's body (and one who's recently escaped from a maximum security prison)....

:up:

Excellent twist, IMO.

avidreader said:
Triplets review is up at Ksite and I think she's done a fantastic job. She's reviewed the content of the episode rather than reviewing what wanted and didnt get.

Good job Triplet!

Thanks....

See it here: www.kryptonsite.com/vesselreview.htm

Well we have a long summer again. When is the season 6 premiere Aug or Sept?

I am sure Thomas Eugene Welling will not fail us....

Shout Out? :(

musclesforsupes said:
Well we have a long summer again. When is the season 6 premiere Aug or Sept?

Probably September, muscles...

muscleforsupes said:
I am sure Thomas Eugene Welling will not fail us....

Who is the Thomas Eugene Welling you speak of?

wellingyearbook7gy.jpg

:confused: :p

musclesforsupes said:
Shout Out? :(

Not in your lifetime.

triplet said:
He let her think that he was still Lex. I think that is pretty scary... He can get a lot more done as Lex (someone who was experimented on by aliens) than he ever could as an alien inhabiting a human's body (and one who's recently escaped from a maximum security prison)....

Yet 1 day later Clark will return. Kick the **** out of Zod. Lion-El will bring Lex back. Lana will still hate Clark all will be back to normal within a day.

tonytr1687 said:
...you should have known long ago that they werent gonna show much of Zod. If they arent gonna show Jor-El theyre not gonna show Zod. Its not a big deal, its still him ony we get to see the terrific Rosebaum play the part, which I think is an ingenious idea.

there are so many ways they can use it, play with it, it's amazing..

even something like - Zod, or someone from his "clan" - "knew / met" Isobel..

:eek:

BaK said:
even something like - Zod, or someone from his "clan" - "knew / met" Isobel..

:eek:

I like that idea. :up: There's been alot of question as to why Zod would kiss Lana.

Trip, you know they call him Eugene, you know they know his middle name is not Eugene. Reminds me of an old Beatles song.....Let it Be.

Kaboom said:
Trip, you know they call him Eugene, you know they know his middle name is not Eugene. Reminds me of an old Beatles song.....Let it Be.
speaking words of wisdom..

I didnt dislike the episode.. I was kindof disapointed it wasnt the " one and ahalf hour which is actually only like 8 more minutes of footage and 20 more minutes of commercials finale" like last year was :p

New interview with Al Gough

TV Guide: What exactly happened when Clark threw the dagger at Fine?
Gough:
This was something that got cut out of the episode for various reasons: Remember when Clark impaled Fine on the Fortress console [in the November-sweeps "Solitude" episode]? Basically, Fine infected the console. Fine is a computer and is all about probabilities, so he knew that if he went after Lex, that would lead Clark back to Jor-El, and Jor-El would tell Clark to get rid of the vessel, and Clark would never do that. Fine sort of calculated what Clark would do based on what Clark had done previously, which is always to protect humanity and not kill anybody. That was his endgame.

It sounds like my second theory wasn't too far off.

Watched it again and two things...

How does Lex know he is invunerable
And does Clark fly off to catch the ring thing of Lex's, or does he get sucked in?

Seems like alot of stuff was cut & I hope we see them on the DVD & also I noticed this at the end of the interview. We never really explored what happens to somebody inside the Phantom Zone, which is really the ultimate incarceration. Sounds like we my get some kind of Kal El when Clark returns :o

Man, I hope early into the season Zod ditches Lex's body and gets his own. Michael Rosenbaum is neat and everything, but he just doesn't seem like Zod to me. Maybe if he grew a beard like Zod had. Can Lex Luthor grow facial hair? I mean I know he cant grow hair on the top of his head, but he does have eyebrows. Has it ever been mentioned?

He can grow hair.

And another question where did Lex get the Phantom Zone ring from?

Red X said:
He can grow hair.

And another question where did Lex get the Phantom Zone ring from?

Just a wild guess, but probably Brainiac and the Spaceship.

Remember Lex zipped off after he spoke with Lana at the mansion and then we didnt see him again until Clark confronted him in the Barn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"