8-year-old Brooklyn boy is killed 7/12/2011

Added to the fact his fellow inmates may be using him as chopped salad at one point in his new prison career. Yea I feel your anger OP, you have to be more vigilant, stay informed and protect those you care about. As for allowing your child to walk home alone? You guys have to be kidding me. You should be paranoid to the point of the men in the white suits taking you away regarding your kids safety. You don't know who is about what, and this unassuming man who murdered this poor boy should be reason enough to take precautionary measures with your child. The world is too unsafe, everytime you see that boy or girl off to school for the day there is a small chance you may never see that child again for whatever reason. The old neighborhood I lived while I was studying at community college was inundated with questionables. There were at least 2 convicted sex offenders living near schools, meth labs all over the place, little Maria the 12 year old gangbaner would bully your child or try to recruit him/her in a gang. I don't understand how parents today can be so lackadaisical when it comes to the issue of their kid's safety. Especially the lonely single moms who don't care who comes in contact around their child, because they "need a man." smdh. If i ever have a kid, that child is getting homeschooled.

Homeschooling won't make a kid any safer from the outside world and it will deny them basic peer interaction which is vital for their development.

Homeschooling won't make a kid any safer from the outside world and it will deny them basic peer interaction which is vital for their development.
Peer interaction? Thats the only argument that ever comes up with home schooling. Granted peer interaction is necessary but it should be seperate from education (because it causes too many distractions for certain people.) There is a reason why the homeschooled children are years ahead of the regular kids, nobody wants to be a nerd or the teacher's pet. Heck, homeschool saved my life, I thought I was stupid and I was always getting into fights. Parents finally hired a tutor and I advanced 2 years ahead of my class. I discovered I enjoyed education, the teachers and kids had it in for me, and I could never ask a serious question in class without getting the brush off or being told I wasn't smart enough. However this peer interaction you speak of is necessary but it should be separate from the classroom. Why can't kids study at home during the week and come weekends gather around each other? You could have a specific problem that kids could work together and solve, in a controlled supervised environment, in fact it would be fun, no more recess withdrawl symptoms. I think it would work, you don't cook your pancakes and raw chicken in the same skillet do you? To be frank school turned me into a very bitter person. My dad was such a violent drunk, kicked everyone's ass in the house, even the dog, and I had to attend school with so much hate and bitterness. I couldnt beleive how stupid they were back then regarding child psychology, even though the evidence was clear my dad was abusive (scars) they couldnt understand why I was so anti-social. :doh: When your dad backhands you right before school and some kid compares you to a monkey, the last thing in your mind you are thinking about is algebra or crossing your t's. I know I don't want my kid to attend school with a person like that. I would have been alot farther in life had I been home schooled earlier.

Personally (and this is a whole different can of worms), I'm on the public schooling side of things (though I see some merit in homeschooling). The way I see it, kids are gonna learn academic things if they're encouraged to learn them by their parents and if they want to. School isn't about that.

Speaking of this "peer interaction" thing, and while yes, it is vital for their development, it's not just available at public school. Homeschooled kids can be just as social.

The problem, in my opinion, lies in the fact that while homeschooled kids can interact with others, they make a choice to, and can break it off at any time they or their parents want. You can't do that in public school, and that's the best learning a child can have. Yeah, sure, Obake, people were ****** to you in school. Guess what? People are ******. Period. End of discussion. I'd bet that you are a stronger and wiser person for it. You know what life is about. That's what public school is there for.

Most people don't remember much of their education aside from basic math, some science and history stuff, basic spelling and grammar, and whatever they use in their day to day lives. What everyone remembers though, is how to interact with people. Not just their peers. Not just their friends. Just people, of all kinds and attitudes.

There's nothing wrong with homeschooling, and hell, a kid can get those negative interactions while playing outside. I'm just voicing my views on why I value my real education in public schools.

The important thing, and if you only read one of my sentences in this post, make it this one: Sheltering your children will only hurt them in the long run as people. Experience is the best teacher, and shielding your kid from the world is depriving them of that experience. It's not bad parenting, hell, there's only a small few things that can be considered "bad parenting", it's just misguided.

At least, that's how I see it.

The world has always been unsafe, and that goes double for the young, but it's the role of the parents to make sure that the children are prepared to do things while unsupervised.

This is a definite example that there is danger everywhere, but it's also a definite example of why a child should know not to talk to strangers. Honestly, given some of the things I've heard about Leiby having some cognitive issues due to a past injury (I'm not sure if they're true or not), I can agree that there should have been more care taken in his case, be it preparation or supervision, but this is one extraordinary situation, and it doesn't apply to everyone everywhere.
Nonono.....that Was the murderer....who has a very similar-sounding first name.
Also, I've heard a certain News Source called Leiby 'Autistic' because they mistranscribed 'Hasidic', which may of caused your confusion.

Nonono.....that Was the murderer....who has a very similar-sounding first name.
Also, I've heard a certain News Source called Leiby 'Autistic' because they mistranscribed 'Hasidic', which may of caused your confusion.

Ah. My mistake then.

End of discussion. I'd bet that you are a stronger and wiser person for it. You know what life is about. That's what public school is there for.

Touche' but my life would be better without all those dark ass thoughts. :dry:

Look, Boro Park's very different. It's one of the safest place in this country, in terms of crime.
It's not like Lincoln Park, where yo havta hide yo kids, hide yo wife.

Nice reference there lol. I grew up in a project circle and was allowed to wander about at the age of seven. It wasn't that bad because my parents knew a lot of the neighbors and normally you would meet up with other kids and their parents were outside , etc. If this kid was walking jus tin a park I could see why it wouldn't be so bad but from what I've read he crossed a few blocks. That's why it got a surprising reaction from me.

There are only a few certainties in this world. Murders are committed through desperation, insanity or evil. This man is evil. Had I been one of the men to discover this I would have put some bullets in him, not killed him though, so that he could still serve his life sentence. And I'd have served my time happily. He doesn't deserved death, he should get something far more archaic.

Like three hot meals, cable tv, and free healthcare.

There are only a few certainties in this world. Murders are committed through desperation, insanity or evil. This man is evil. Had I been one of the men to discover this I would have put some bullets in him, not killed him though, so that he could still serve his life sentence. And I'd have served my time happily. He doesn't deserved death, he should get something far more archaic.
I disagree. I think it was more Desperation caused by a state close to Insanity.
That's not to say he's unresponsible for his actions (and certainly he deserves to be treated by the court as a murderer caused at least by pure desperation) but he sure shouldn't be judged as if he was Mengele-if-Mengele-committed one-murder-and-one-murder-only.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"