`89 Batman Has the Best Dialogue in the Genre!

Catman

Avenger
Reaction score
What movie in the genre tops this?

"I'm Batman."

"Decent people shouldn't live here. They'd be happier someplace else."

"I say... you're full of [censored], Knox. Oh, uh, you can quote me on that."

"I'm in charge here, not Carl Grissom!"

"Gotham City. Always brings a smile to my face."

"Winged freak terrorizes? Wait'll they get a load of ME!"

"Antoine got a little hot under the collar."

"Haven't you ever heard of the healing power of laughter?"

"The pen, is truly mightier than the sword!"

"Batman... Batman... Can somebody tell me what kind of a world we live in, where a man dressed up as a *bat* gets all of my press? This town needs an enema!"

"I have given a name to my pain, and it is Batman."

"Where does he get those wonderful toys?"

"You wanna get nuts? Come on! Let's get nuts!"

"Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight?"

"Never rub another man's rhubarb."

"I'm only laughing on the outside / My smile is just skin deep / If you could see inside I'm really crying / You might join me for a weep."

"And now, folks, it's time for "Who do you trust!" Hubba, hubba, hubba! Money, money, money! Who do you trust? Me? I'm giving away free money. And where is the Batman? HE'S AT HOME WASHING HIS TIGHTS!"

"Now comes the part where I relieve you, the little people, of the burden of your failed and useless lives. But, as my plastic surgeon always said: if you gotta go, go with a smile."

Wonder what site did you copy/paste this from..

"I'm in charge here, not Carl Grissom!" - What's so special about that line?

I agree that the '89 Batman film has more engaging dialogue amongst the other Batflicks. Batman Returns is also good but the story wasn't as fun.

But I like the dialogue in Hellboy and Road to Perdition. The former had distinct flavors for each of its characters. The latter delivered succint - but expressive - dialogue that set a great tone.

there's some good lines in Burton's Batman, but I wouldn't say it has the best dialogue of comic book moviedom.

and for God's sakes, you didn't even include Alexander Knox's "He must be the king of the wicker people" line.

-"It's Japanese"
-"How do you know?"
-"Because I got it in Japan"

-"they say he drinks blood, they say he can't be killed"
-"I say you're full of s**t, Knox"

That film had some great character dynamics. It wasn't just what they said but how they approached each other. The camaraderie is so different between how Stane would put his arm around Tony's shoulder and how Rhodey helped him get off the plane. Even the way Stark behaves towards Potts is clearly different from how intimate he is to other women like the reporter.

-"It's Japanese"
-"How do you know?"
-"Because I got it in Japan"

-"they say he drinks blood, they say he can't be killed"
-"I say you're full of s**t, Knox"

"Think about the future"
"You can call me... Joker. And as you can see, I'm a lot happier"
{How can that line not beat 'here's my card'?)

It's definitely one of the most quotable comic films out there, IMO. And I think it did a very good job of straddling the line between "Comic Book Movie" and a "Film Based On A Comic Book". The whole exchange of dialogue with Knox and Vicki, leading into their introduction to Bruce is still nothing short of brilliant.

"They must love him for his big charity balls."
"Don't forget his very large bankroll".

You don't get to appreciate subtle innuendo like that until you're much older.

I'm 29, and I JUST got Selina Kyle's comment to Bruce in Batman Returns when they're dancing at Max's masquerade ball.

"No hard feelings?"
"Hmm, semi-hard, I'd say."

Sweet Christmas!

-"Selina! Selina Kyle...and Bruce Wayne, but why are you dressed up like Batman?"
-"He is Batman you moron"
-"was" *BANG!*

-"anybody want to go on record? Mr. Mayor great tie"
-"no comment"

"What's with the grin?"
"Life's been good to me."

Another good one I forgot.

-"Selina! Selina Kyle...and Bruce Wayne, but why are you dressed up like Batman?"
-"He is Batman you moron"
-"was" *BANG!*

That was Batman Returns, not Batman '89 :cwink:

Sorry, but Batman '66 beats it cold.

Commissioner Gordon: Penguin, Joker, Riddler... and Catwoman, too! The sum of the angles of that rectangle is too monstrous to contemplate!

Riddler: We shall spring them from The Joker's Jack-In-The-Box, through that window, out over the sea, and into the waiting arms of The Penguin's Exploding Octopus!

Batman: They may be drinkers, Robin, but they're still human beings.

Batman: Some days, you just can't git rid of a bomb.

Batman: Who knows, Robin? This strange mixing of minds may be the greatest single service ever performed for humanity! Let's go, but, inconspicuously, through the window. We'll use our Batropes. Our job is finished.

Batman: Bon Voyage, *****.

Batman: [reading a riddle] What has yellow skin and writes?
Robin: A ball-point banana!
Batman: [reads the second riddle] What people are always in a hurry?
Robin: Rushing people... Russians!
Batman: So this means...
Robin: Someone Russian is going to slip on a banana and break their neck!
Batman: Precisely, Robin!

How dare you?!

Do the things what you think is right.:yay:
clear.gif

For me I always enjoyed Returns alot more than 89. And I don't even like anything with the Penguin really.

But I love these lines.

Penguin: Your mad just because I'm a geniune freak. And you have to put on a mask!
Batman: Your probably right

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"