`89 Batman Has the Best Dialogue in the Genre!

Penguin: You don't really think you're gonna win, do you?
Batman: Things change.

Selina: Honey, I'm home. Oh yeah. I'm not married.

My favorite will always be "There ain't no bat! Now shut up, SHUT....UP".

There is a genius line in Batman Returns by the Penguin...

"I was their number one son, and they treated me like number two"

-"they buried your story on the Batman"
-"that's what they do to garbage"
-"this is pullitzer prize stuff guys"

Sorry, but Batman '66 beats it cold.

Nothing beats Batman conveniently spotting a pile of crude foam rubber out of the corner of his eye...WHILE CRASHING!

:up:

Batman 89 had rubber in the suit.

Batman 66 had it in a shark!!!

Batman Returns had much better dialogue imo.

Penguin : "I believe the word you're looking for is ahhhh!" Classic:woot:.

Before the year is over I'll try to watch some of these films again on DVD. But I know I'm going to enjoy the dialogue in Burton's Batman flicks, the Hellboy films, and the Road to Perdition. The actors put so much character into their lines. Maybe the reason why they're so convincing is because the director's knew how to capture that periodic feel in their films.

The crooks in Burton's films really do look like those noiresque villains played by guys like Edward G. Robinson. Christopher Walken was a snake dressed like Andy Warhol. They said stuff like 'sugar bumps', 'man in charge', 'better fish to fry', 'big ball of string' while I can't recall anything distinctly rich from Nolan's crooks. And I watched TDK on IMAX.

Last edited:
Does IMAX help the memory?

It sure does when you're paying attention. I watched a poor fitting of Spider-Man 3 on IMAX. I saw things I never noticed from a normal theater. Slight facial changes were noticeable. I even realized the M.J. photo at Peter's apartment was the one he took of her in Spider-Man 1. The confession scene between Bernard and Harry Osborn was somewhat improved.

IMAX is great. But it sure helps to hear good dialogue. Mohammed Ali only had to shout "what's my name?" after one fight. What did we get after Burton's work?

Val Kilmer/Bruce Wayne: Harvey! I am Batman!

Jim Carey/Riddler: I'M BATMAN!

Gang member: that ain't the Bat.

Christian Bale/Batman: I'm Batman.

Scarecrow: He's here. The Bat Man...

Harvey Dent: I'm Batman.

And let's NOT forget ASB&R: What are you ******ed? I'm the GODDAMN BATMAN!

Last edited:
So it seems like they were just a series of one liners and set ups for one liners. That's not good dialogue. That's just one liners. Good for kewl quotes. Not good dialogue.

i don't recall the Burton crooks to be any 'richer' than the crooks/thugs in Nolan's films.

So it seems like they were just a series of one liners and set ups for one liners. That's not good dialogue. That's just one liners. Good for kewl quotes. Not good dialogue.

Yeah, films after Burton wasted so much time trying to rework the flavor when the should have just worked on plot. Batman Begins succeeded in re-establishing the character. That's about it. There doesn't seem to be much of anything else other than introducing new characters.

i don't recall the Burton crooks to be any 'richer' than the crooks/thugs in Nolan's films.

They were more impressionable - except for big Tommy Lister. He stole the scene at the ship. After tossing the device he just sits down with his mates in resolute silence.

Yeah, films after Burton wasted so much time trying to rework the flavor when the should have just worked on plot. Batman Begins succeeded in re-establishing the character. That's about it. There doesn't seem to be much of anything else other than introducing new characters.

I didn't care much for the dialogue in the first Batman. Most of the lines were throwaway lines meant to be spoken within the context of the scene being shot, but had no resonance or meaning afterwards. There was no real dialogue or flow. It was a just a series of setups from one scene to another. I liked the story. The script wasn't that great.

I'd recommend Hitchcock, Peckinpah, and classic mystery films like Charade and Mirage. They're much better in establishing characters but still have great scenes that are only momentary.

Last edited:
Are some of you taking this thread too seriously?

Yeah, I love the lines in Burton's flicks.

Also, Iron Man, Blade 1 and 2, the Hellboy flicks and Superman 1. Otherwise, they range from acceptable to downright terrible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"