The Wolverine A Deadpool/Wolverine team-up movie?

Bruce Malone

Superhero
Reaction score
This was suggested on another board. An R-Rated team-up film with Wolverine and Deadpool. It'd almost be Fox's response to Batman v. Superman or Civil War.

With Deadpool going to open to over 90+ million as of current predictions, one can only imagine the opening weekend with Hugh reprising the role there.

It'd almost be Fox's response to Batman v. Superman or Civil War.
No, that'd be Apocalypse.

I would like to see Deadpool and Wolverine tag-teaming after ripping each other to shreds.

I don't think Jackman will change his mind, I think he knows if he goes back on it then he will have to leave again and no one will take him seriously next time

Would the more grounded Wolverine of the Singer-verse mesh with the very comic book friendly Reynold's Deadpool? Methinks they should wait for Jackman to be done and recast Wolverine -- a vastly more comic book one with his yellow spandex -- in a Deadpool movie.

Yes. That would be good. The expected 'outrage' of a new Wolverine would be mitigated by him debuting in the Deadpool franchise.

Would the more grounded Wolverine of the Singer-verse mesh with the very comic book friendly Reynold's Deadpool?
That contrast is precisely why I would advocate this.
They sort of attempted that with the whole straight-laced X-Men, which were good for gags but would have resonated more if they were tonally from the "Singer-verse".

Plus, it's not like Deadpool didn't have its "grounded" moments nor The Wolverine its "comic book"-y moments.

They sort of attempted that with the whole straight-laced X-Men, which were good for gags but would have resonated more if they were tonally from the "Singer-verse".

Plus, it's not like Deadpool didn't have its "grounded" moments nor The Wolverine its "comic book"-y moments.

Yeah they did sort of do that already with the first Wade Wilson Wolverine encounter in Origins.

Wolverine is precisely supposed to be the straight-man in that duo.

As for Hugh, he seems to be adamant this would be his last solo film but I wouldn't be surprised if he hasn't crossed out future cameos and he may be open to a co-headlining role.

If anything I'd like to see him do an Xforce movie then bow out. I'm hoping the give the Wolverine character a break for awhile before jumping back into the character after Jackmans final performance.

There wasn't any reference to Logan's DNA in Deadpool movie.
Just simple serum, taken by everybody in Ajax's project, not even word about 'Weapon X'.
MEH...

I am not talking about the tone discrepancies that come from the straight man/ funny man dynamic, I am talking about the tone of universes/realities. Jackman's Wolverine brings all the serious and grounded Singer-verse baggage with him -- the very idea of him donning the yellow spandex is ludicrous -- and when you put him in with the 4th wall breaking, CGI-animated white eyed Deadpool, it's almost like putting in a real person with an animated character; like putting Bruce Willis with Bugs Bunny. It makes no sense.

The Wolverine's comic-bookey moments prove my point. The third act was the most consistently bashed element of the movie. With the biggest criticism being that the tone of the comic-bookey third act doesn't mesh at all with the gritty first two-thirds of the movie. Putting him with Deadpool -- who is even more ridiculous than anything in the Wolverine -- would compound that disconnect through the entire film.

Just simple serum, taken by everybody in Ajax's project, not even word about 'Weapon X'.
MEH...
The sequel could easily retcon those experiments as an underground offshoot of Weapon X.

If Hugh is genuinely done, I'd use Deadpool 2 as the vehicle to launch your new Wolverine. The 4th wall gags would be worth it alone.

I am not talking about the tone discrepancies that come from the straight man/ funny man dynamic, I am talking about the tone of universes/realities. Jackman's Wolverine brings all the serious and grounded Singer-verse baggage with him -- the very idea of him donning the yellow spandex is ludicrous none of the characters here are in spandex -- and when you put him in with the 4th wall breaking, CGI-animated white eyed Deadpool, it's almost like putting in a real person with an animated character like almost every other superhero flick these days; like putting Bruce Willis with Bugs Bunny or Who Framed Roger Rabbit. It makes no sense.

The Wolverine's comic-bookey moments prove my point. The third act was the most consistently bashed element of the movie. With the biggest criticism being that the tone of the comic-bookey third act doesn't mesh at all with the gritty first two-thirds of the movie. Putting him with Deadpool -- who is even more ridiculous than anything in the Wolverine -- would compound that disconnect through the entire film.

Actually, this is exactly what I was addressing.
You also stated the point I was anticipating.
They either tacked on those comic-bookey moments too late into the movie or those moments simply didn't mesh with the prevailing context,
so it's a matter of how to balance that out to make the two simultaneous perspectives immersive. ie That disconnect, portrayed well, is why I'm game for this.

Oh and Deadpool's cartoonish outlook is treated as his insanity.
There isn't any cartoon physics to warp the reality around other characters nor is that perceived as how he gets hurt.

Last edited:
I've been campaigning for a new actor to play Wolverine for a few years now, but I would love to see Hugh and Ryan on screen for one more movie. The have such great chemistry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SdHF_GfssE
[YT]SdHF_GfssE[/YT]
Deadpool movie would be the perfect place to handover the Wolverine title to the new actor. Maybe Cables appearance fluctuates the time stream causing the change in appearance to Wolveriene and Deadpool makes a bunch of 4th wall cracks, like "who the f*** is this and where the f*** is Hugh?"

MEH...

Yeah, but I just assumed the recruiter worked on behalf of Stryker given all the secrecy behind the program.

The X-Men people probably didn't want to be associated with the "little" Deadpool project at first. Now they'd pay good money to make it happen.

Unless Hugh is willing to have a role in a X-force movie (but not the lead), then I would just limit to a cameo/small roie in one another's movie and not a full blown Wolverine/Deadpool movie.

No; just No.

Deadpool looks and feels like one of those horrible "spoof movies" that were all the rage a few years back, and, in spite of its commercial success, should really be relegated to being nothing more than a "sideshow" when it comes to the larger "prime" X-Verse.

Keep it as far away as possible from the rest of the "prime" X-Verse stuff - and especially Wolverine - so that the franchise doesn't go off the rails narratively.

Would the more grounded Wolverine of the Singer-verse mesh with the very comic book friendly Reynold's Deadpool? Methinks they should wait for Jackman to be done and recast Wolverine -- a vastly more comic book one with his yellow spandex -- in a Deadpool movie.

Yes. That would be good. The expected 'outrage' of a new Wolverine would be mitigated by him debuting in the Deadpool franchise.

Honestly, I feel like an "always in costume Wolverine that only appears in the Deadpool movies" is the only way they could get away with recasting Hugh Jackman as the character, at least in the near future. As you said, people would accept the difference in portrayal because it's a Deadpool movie (sort of like Colossus who is much more comics accurate in Deadpool than in the X-men movies).

We also have hints in the films that Wolverine may have worn the yellow spandex at some point (he gets the costume at the end of The Wolverine and in Logan he's shown wearing it in the X-men comics, and the writers of those comics must have gotten it from somewhere). Him wearing it during the time period of the Deadpool movies would fit fairly well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"