Deadpool 2 Tim Miller exits Deadpool 2

What a shame the pair couldnt agree on the sequel but a Deadpool film without Miller is still possible, one without Reynolds is hard to see existing.

Hope this is a Bourne like situation where someone else can come in and take the good ideas from the first and improve on them, fingers crossed.

In regards to widening the scope, I think it'd be very appropriate to moderately increase the budget. Just not $150 million.

They're adding Cable and Domino - not to mention they're going to have to up the villain a bit. $120-$150 million is perfectly reasonable - especially given the built in BO performance they're going to get.

So does anybody think the insider quoted in the Wrap story is NOT Simon Kinberg? Anyone? Bueller?

Anyhoo, it seemed like Miller wanted Deadpool 2 to be the X-Force film that folks have been begging for on these boards for years. I think that makes an awful lot of sense given the track record of comedy sequels and the fact that two of the best comic book films, TDK and CA:TWS, veered wildly from the first film in each series. I have no doubt that Deadpool 2 will do well at the BO, but I don't think more raunchy jokes is the right direction.

So does anybody think the insider quoted in the Wrap story is NOT Simon Kinberg? Anyone? Bueller?

Anyhoo, it seemed like Miller wanted Deadpool 2 to be the X-Force film that folks have been begging for on these boards for years. I think that makes an awful lot of sense given the track record of comedy sequels and the fact that two of the best comic book films, TDK and CA:TWS, veered wildly from the first film in each series. I have no doubt that Deadpool 2 will do well at the BO, but I don't think more raunchy jokes is the right direction.

or more of the same. eventually you need to change material and do something new or fresh

Nah, he's always talked about wanting to make X-Force further down the line. This wouldn't have been it.

But I think he wanted to make something fresh with the sequel, and also probably treat Cable's story in an earnest way, instead of him just being comedic fodder for Deadpool.

or more of the same. eventually you need to change material and do something new or fresh

And that's exactly what the best sequels do. Take familiar characters into a different direction and new situations.

Last edited:
Nah, he's always talked about wanting to make X-Force further down the line. This wouldn't have been it.

But I think he wanted to make something fresh with the sequel, and also probably treat Cable's story in an earnest way, instead of him just being comedic fodder for Deadpool.

And that's exactly what the best sequels do. Take familiar characters into a different direction and new situations.

or he was taking it too far into a direction where ryan felt it wasn't deadpool anymore

all these rumors from both sides are all unsubstantiated so making assumptions on what you think they were going for is reaching

We're all in the dark, wether we're upset about Tim Miller leaving or not.

The biggest proof is the original Deadpool. And Tim Miller totally nailed it. What another director can do with the material and collaborating with Ryan Reynolds and Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick remains to be seen.

The sequel is not doomed, but it ain't safe yet, either.

What I find weird and fascinating is how this is the opposite reaction to what happened with Ant-man. And somewhat mixed compared to the Godzilla 2 situation.

I do hope that Miller does have a good career ahead of him.

What I find weird and fascinating is how this is the opposite reaction to what happened with Ant-man. And somewhat mixed compared to the Godzilla 2 situation.

I do hope that Miller does have a good career ahead of him.

Edgar Wright is much more well known and dear to the 'fan' community.

Tim Miller has just started out (as feature film director) with Deadpool.

But I've mostly noticed that people have no clue what a director does on a production, and how his presence influences the outcome.

There are really people who think that anybody could have done Deadpool, and the movie would've turned out EXACTLY THE SAME, "because they had a script and Ryan gets the character."

I think Miller will be fine. He's a smart and talented guy, and already has another big project set up at 20th Century Fox.

Last edited:
Miller wanted to have a $150 million budget. They made the right call. The lower the budget, the bigger the profit.

If you go a page back, Collider already debunked that story. Miller is not the one who wanted three times the budget.

Miller wanted to have a $150 million budget. They made the right call. The lower the budget, the bigger the profit.

Duh. This has already been shot down by Collider.com's Steven Weintraub. It's BS.

If you go a page back, Collider already debunked that story. Miller is not the one who wanted three times the budget.

We don't even know if it's really the other way 'round (Chris Bumbray from JoBlo.com mentioned that he had heard that it was Ryan Reynolds wanting to do a bigger movie, with Tim Miller wanting to keep it on the same scale, with bigger freedom). We just know for sure that Tim Miller leaving because he wanted 3x the budget for the sequel is BS.

Last edited:
Edgar Wright is much more well known and dear to the 'fan' community.

Tim Miller has just started out (as feature film director) with Deadpool.

But I've mostly noticed that people have no clue what a director does on a production, and how his presence influences the outcome.

There are really people who think that anybody could have done Deadpool, and the movie would've turned out EXACTLY THE SAME, "because they had a script and Ryan gets the character."

I think Miller will be fine. He's a smart and talented guy, and already has another big project set up at 20th Century Fox.

Really, because if I remember correctly, there were quite a few rejoicing about his departure.

I remember them. The "if Edgar Wright don't want no orders from Marvel, he better goes. Marvel knows best! Now let's make Hank Pym young again, please."

It's likely neither of them did. Reynolds wants to keep things the same...but add a 100m to the budget? That's clearly not keeping things the same. An extra 20m-50m so the cast and crew can be comfortable this round I get but 100m would really suggest something more grand in scale. Doesn't make sense with what these "reports" are saying about their conflicting visions.

This wasn't about budget.

Last edited:
Increasing the scope a little bit is fine. But I don't like the reports that say they want a Movie that can compete with the mega-budget superhero Movies. I'm not sure I want a Deadpool Movie that can compete with Civil War or Age of Apocalypse in scope.

In terms of box office it's competing or surpassing the likes of Apocalypse and Dawn of Justice AND Suicide Squad domestically. Think about that. A Deadpool movie made more than Batman v Superman at the domestic box office.

It's likely neither of them did. Reynolds wants to keep things the same...but add a 100m to the budget? That's clearly not keeping things the same. An extra 20m-50m so the cast and crew can be comfortable this round I get but 100m would really suggest something more grand in scale. Doesn't make sense with what these "reports" are saying about their conflicting visions.

This wasn't about budget.

I think the budget will end up being increased by more than $50 million anyway.

Ryan Reynolds will get a bigger paycheck, and so do the writers and the possible returning cast members (never say never, but I'm confident that at least T.J. Miller and Leslie Uggams will return).

Keep in mind that Tim Miller and his guys at BLUR did some free polishing work on the original, and that they were pretty smart about how to get it done for less (including every actor working for less than usual).

Won't happen this time. No actor is going to take pay cuts on the sequel to a $780mil success.

The sequel will probably have a bigger scope, they will want to go all out with the action (instead of cutting a big shootout scene, like in the first) and remember that having Cable (and Domino) in it will additionally widen the scope, I think, and introduce even more of a sci-fi imagery.

Yeah, I don't see this costing less that $120 million.

I mean, after Deadpool's performance, doubling the budget wouldn't be surprising, considering Deadpool was only $58 million.

Tim Burton went from $30 million for Batman to $80 million for Batman Returns.

Sequel and bigger deals for the actors and everyone and bigger ideas usually means bigger budget. First Avenger went from $140 million to $170 million for The Winter Soldier. Civil War? $250 million.

My suspicion is somewhere around 90 million.

I doubt it.

The original cost $58 million. Before it went into production, about $7 million were cut from its budget. Otherwise it would've probably been around $65 million. Add to that the fact that they did everything possible to cut corners budget-wise, while still making it look good (the actors taking pay cuts, Tim Miller and his Blur crew working for free), and you can see that even with the scope of the original, it could've cost more.

And I think the sequel is gonna be bigger in scope, regardless of how small they want to keep it (and take the bigger paychecks into account).

Last edited:
Yeah, after the success of the first one, people are going to be a lot less willing to take a paycut.

John Wick director David Leitch is the favorite to the take over for Tim Miller according to Jeff Sneider.

thats a solid choice i can just imagine deadpool in these scenes
tumblr_nvpmhyITme1tslewgo1_500.gif

vIft0te.gif

http://www.slashfilm.com/deadpool-2-director-frontrunner/

A bit of background info on Leitch. He was stunt coordinator on Origins and did second unit on The Wolverine and is a client of the same agency as Ryan, so it wouldn't be a stretch for sure for Leitch to step in, as he has past experience with Fox/Ryan.

Leitch would be a dream in come true, and dare I say, a possible improvement over Miller? Didn't think either of the John Wick guys would be possible to be very frank. Especially after how Marvel got them both Leitch and Stahelski to do second unit on CW - I figured they might be in the mix to direct one of their films.

Oh, and it seems as if this Mashable scoop is from Sneider, (I forgot Sneider got a new job there recently) so it could be pretty on the mark for sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"