A Discussion on Mattel's DC Master license

Discussion in 'Superhero Products' started by Roughneck, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Roughneck Registered

So....How long does Mattel's DC license last? Because I'm thinking that Mattel was very very lucky to get that license when they did.

Why do I say this you ask? Simple, I say this simply because of something I saw at TRU the other day, I saw World Of Warcraft fighures under the DC Unlimited banner of DCD.

So my thinking is we'll likely see other DC Unlimited lines at TRU (and likely other retail outlets) like future WOW stuff and Afro Samurai.

And if these sell well at retail it wont be long before some Suit over at DCD says "well heck son, why don't we try and sell some of that there comic book stuff we got in the retail chains?" (Sounds better if you read him as an old Texan)

So I'm thinking that We'll be seeing DC Direct stuff at retail by the end of 2009, and by then they might even try a less expensive more retail freindly line, like the DCSH or ML......I could see them trying it.

other collectors companies have been found at TRU, Neca (300) Mezco (underdog, family guy) even Diamond Select stuff has been found by me at TRU in the form of the Play Arts Final Fantsy stuff........

2. Browncoat Registered

It might be a states thing, but we don't get many toys based off R rated movies at TRU (like 300).

Then again, I might be wrong. It could just be the TRUs around here. For example, any of the TRUs in my area never even got NECAs Nightmare Before Christmas toys.

3. Ryo Jin Let's Fighting Love!

Well, Rough does mention finding all kinds of stuff at his Canadian TRU, and by that alone I know Canadian TRUs are MUCH different from American ones. So which TRU are you talking about Rough?

4. Roughneck Registered

Yeah....Canadian.......I like Canadian TRUs.....I can go there without hearing that "all together now" song that I heard nonstop in every singe American TRU I went into.....But I do know that all of the Local TRUs renovated to have the more american style layout.

But I was unaware that Amerikan TRUs didn't get 300 in.....Canadian ones get all kinds of McFarlane stuff....

But to the Amerikan ones get Final Fantasy and WoW in them? Anyone seen?

5. lars573 Registered

I'm thinking it's just Albertan (or more simply larger) ones. My TRU doesn't have any of that stuff.

6. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

all together song?

lol im thinkin thats the high school musical song "were all in this together once we la da da da da da da and a daaha"

7. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

im pretty sure american toysrus's get final fantasy, Wow, or 300...

we get mcfarlane stuff though, but not his twisted more violent stuff.. mostly just spawn, sports, cartoons, and dragons

8. Roughneck Registered

it's some song with a bunch of kids singing

it goes

All together now

then one girl sings a bit fater

All together now

and it just repeats like that over and over and over and over and over and over and over.....it might have just been a short time thing, but I heard that song in every TRU in Nevada, Montana, Idaho, North Cali, Kansas, New Mexico, Arizona.....and it was playing every time I went in.....it seemed to never end.

9. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

i wonder... still prob think its a HSM song..

10. Roughneck Registered

I dunno....i don't watch that crap....but now I get a HSMII trailer playing in my store every 45 minutes for the rest of Dec

11. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

first one suprised me... really wasnt bad.... havent seen the second

12. Saint553 Registered

I don't really care what Mattel does with the DC liscense. I just hope they make the versions of DC characters that I actually want. I won't buy nightwing if he's in his old disco huge collar outift. I'll never buy a robin in the briefs and pixie boots. I won't buy any repaints of older, unarticulated figures.

DCU3 is being shown in the next issue of Toyfare. If they look good, I'm ordering a set/case immediately. If they look like crap and are repaints, I'm never buying another DC figure.

13. Invincible Registered

Weird, I don't think i've ever saw neca figures in the toys r us here. we get tons McFarlane stuff and i haven't seen WoW or Final Fantasy, but then again i haven't been in a toys r us in a few weeks.

14. MangleBoP Unemployed

Hopefully Mattel will keep the license for a while, or, if DCD goes to retail, they also increase posability to ML levels.

15. Roughneck Registered

Also, to add something else here.....does anyone ever see Neca's Pirates of the Carribean at retail?

Because they have them here in Zeller...but only at Zellers......

16. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

ive never seen neca at toys r us

17. Roughneck Registered

Oh....As I mention earlier I saw 300 at TRU and POTC At Zellers.

18. spideyboy_1111 Young Avenger

ya i know... but the states don't have Zellers...