The Flash A Flash From The Past - The John Wesley Shipp Thread

BatsDC

Side-Kicker
Reaction score
john-wesley-shipp-flash.jpg

The original TV Flash, John Wesley Shipp, is a part of the new Flash series - playing the Flash's dad, Henry Allen!

John Wesley Shipp, who played Barry Allen/The Flash in the 1990s TV series, has been added to the cast of the CW/WBTV/DC pilot The Flash, which retells the story of scientist Allen (Grant Gustin) who, through a freak accident, is given the power of super speed. The producers are keeping Shipp’s recurring character a secret.

I apologise for the terrible title

Last edited:
This is such a fantastically cool thing they're doing. Any network would probably ignore the semi-failed attempt of the character/show from 20+ years ago. They're embracing it instead. They're really going for it, and I just love it.

I am so in awe of how The CW is getting Arrow so perfectly right. It's shocking. I don't have a single complaint about that show. Not even one. There are people at ComicBookResources.com (people way more into comics than us, I imagine) who think that this is the best version of the character, period. And now they're giving us The Flash, and I can't even imagine the possibilities. It's so goddamn cool.

Yeah, I was already excited about this show, but Shipp's casting got me REALLY excited. I'm so glad they got the old Flash on this show because he was the PERFECT Barry Allen back in the day. Shame the old show didn't make it.

Hope this inspires Warner Bros. to do a re-release of the old show on DVD.

I think a blu ray with some interviews from current Flash producers and the old cast would be awesome.
Maybe even if they could try to dig up some old behind the scenes footage from the show.

Words cant begin to describe just how jazzed I am with JWS being cast in this show. As it is, if he's Barry's dad then it's cool casting. But IF he is Jay, then it's a absolute masterstroke. It just fits like a bespoke glove.

Jay Garrick, is that you? That'd be really cool. I could also see him playing Barry's imprisoned father (but I'd prefer that he play Jay).

If JWS is Barry's Dad, and they decide to bring in Jay Garrick later on, then that's going to be pretty disappointing. He'd be fine for either, but Jay Garrick would be way more interesting

I know I've already said it multiple times, but I really can't imagine they'd be secretive about the role if it was just Barry's dad. They came right out with it with the actress cast as Barry's mom, why be secretive about dad? It's got to be a bigger surprise.

What if Barry's dad... IS Jay Garrick? :woot:

He looks good in the recent pics. Wonder what he's been up to.

Still the best superhero tv show ever made to date, IMO. There aren't many superhero tv shows that are that great but this one was pretty good for its time and still holds up pretty well, it was ahead of its time in a lot of ways. Also love that Shirley Walker (Superman: TAS, Batman: TAS) did the music for it!

Last edited:

Still the best superhero tv show ever made to date, IMO. There aren't many superhero tv shows that are that great but this one was pretty good for its time and still holds up pretty well, it was a head of its time in a lot of ways. Also love that Shirley Walker (Superman: TAS, Batman: TAS) did the music for it!

Saw him in an episode of Teen Wolf about a year back. Before that I only saw him in Dawson's Creek, after Flash. Yeah, dude still looks good.

If not Jay Garrick, how about Max Mercury? Keep his "zen guru" of speed thing going, have him be a mentor figure, and use him to tie all the Flashes together. Like "Max Mercury, a speedster traveling through time, encountered and was trained by Jay Garrick, played by (insert guest star here), trains Barry Allen, then comes to the aid of mysterious time traveler Wally West (insert another guest star.)"

What if Barry's dad... IS Jay Garrick? :woot:

Aaaaahhhh you beat me to it. I was going to say that lol. What if Jay is Barry's dad and we later find out that the accident really was not accident because they do introduce some higher power in play that has granted them their powers....a la speedforce.

However, if he is dad cool. If he is Jay awesome!

Still the best superhero tv show ever made to date, IMO. There aren't many superhero tv shows that are that great but this one was pretty good for its time and still holds up pretty well, it was a head of its time in a lot of ways. Also love that Shirley Walker (Superman: TAS, Batman: TAS) did the music for it!

He's been on numerous tv shows. I saw him on a soap not too long ago.

If not Jay Garrick, how about Max Mercury? Keep his "zen guru" of speed thing going, have him be a mentor figure, and use him to tie all the Flashes together. Like "Max Mercury, a speedster traveling through time, encountered and was trained by Jay Garrick, played by (insert guest star here), trains Barry Allen, then comes to the aid of mysterious time traveler Wally West (insert another guest star.)"

I could dig that...bring in all the speedsters....Young Justice what?! lol.

Saw him in an episode of Teen Wolf about a year back. Before that I only saw him in Dawson's Creek, after Flash. Yeah, dude still looks good.

Yeah I saw that episode too. He's been on a soap forget the name. He will always be the Flash and the father from The Neverending Story II for me lol.

Dude just looks like a superhero!

I'd love for him to be Jay. I just wonder how the legacy angle would play out in light of the New 52 Earth 2. Do they ignore it? Make him a stranger from another Earth?

The Max Mercury suggestion is great also. The other thought I have is this- what if JWS is playing Barry Allen of the future? Maybe not enough resemblance between him and GG.

At any rate, I loved the old Flash show and I'm very happy to see this new production pay tribute.

It would be too perfect if he's Jay Garrick like some kinda cosmic karama.

Wonder if Shipp's role might be teased in the trailer for the pilot, whenever that hits.

I remember Arrow releasing a sneak preview a few days before Comic Con 2012.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"