A rebooted Godzilla in America

NotFadeAway

Superhero
Reaction score
One of the most disappointing movies I've ever laid eyes on is the Roland Emmerich stinker of a godzilla film back in 1998. Thats all that really needs to be said, but as a lifelong Godzilla and Kaiju movie fan, what a horrible film that brought no justice to Godzilla.

It's time a for a reboot. Reboot's are the in thing and Godzilla is one of the most deserving pop culture characters in need on one. This is my idea, and I admit I borrowed it from Peter Jackson's King Kong...

My Godzilla reboot would be a period piece set in 1954 L.A., California. Just like the original Japanese Godzilla flick was set in 1954 Tokyo. I think it's obvious what I'm getting at, instead of attacking Japanese cities and ships in the fifties, Godzilla would attack the United States, it's cities and it's ships. I'd really try and recapture the horrifying nature of a creature such as Godzilla existing in the aftermath of the Atomic bomb being dropped, and yes, I would use those same undertones that the Japanese used with there first Godzilla film. I always thought that the first Godzilla film was more of a horror film than anything, and thats what a reboot should be.

I'd swap out the Raymond Burr character Steve Martin with a Japanese reporter who was visiting the United States at the time of Godzilla's attack, and through that character I would invoke the comparison's of Godzilla's destructive path to the Atomic Bomb attacks on Japan. And I would use the score from the original Godzilla film.

If the film was a success, an easy idea for a sequel would be to have Godzilla return in present day, but a present day world that has lived with what Godzilla had done in 1954, and then you could introduce some of the other Japanese monsters.

i think it was a pretty good summer movie. lots of action some humor. i dont know very much about godzila.

Last edited:
It was a decent movie, just not a Godzilla movie, and a Godzilla film without the kaiju, NO.

It was horrible. Wish they would do another one in the U.S.

If a studio does decide to move along with a Godzilla reboot I think Matt Reeves (director of "Cloverfield) should be given a chance to direct.

I mean "Cloverfield" was made with $25 million, imagine what he could do with a large budget.

Hopefully show the main monster more then a couple of quick shots with a hand held. :hehe:

I imagine that one of the reasons that camera technique was implemented is due to the rather limited budget they were working with.

I'm sure with a much larger budget that shouldn't be an issue. ;)

True. Hopefully for a Cloverfield 2, if that ever happens.

I'd like to see a Godzilla film made in the fashion of Peter Jackson's King Kong.

One of the most disappointing movies I've ever laid eyes on is the Roland Emmerich stinker of a godzilla film back in 1998. Thats all that really needs to be said, but as a lifelong Godzilla and Kaiju movie fan, what a horrible film that brought no justice to Godzilla.

It's time a for a reboot. Reboot's are the in thing and Godzilla is one of the most deserving pop culture characters in need on one. This is my idea, and I admit I borrowed it from Peter Jackson's King Kong...

My Godzilla reboot would be a period piece set in 1954 L.A., California. Just like the original Japanese Godzilla flick was set in 1954 Tokyo. I think it's obvious what I'm getting at, instead of attacking Japanese cities and ships in the fifties, Godzilla would attack the United States, it's cities and it's ships. I'd really try and recapture the horrifying nature of a creature such as Godzilla existing in the aftermath of the Atomic bomb being dropped, and yes, I would use those same undertones that the Japanese used with there first Godzilla film. I always thought that the first Godzilla film was more of a horror film than anything, and thats what a reboot should be.

I'd swap out the Raymond Burr character Steve Martin with a Japanese reporter who was visiting the United States at the time of Godzilla's attack, and through that character I would invoke the comparison's of Godzilla's destructive path to the Atomic Bomb attacks on Japan. And I would use the score from the original Godzilla film.

If the film was a success, an easy idea for a sequel would be to have Godzilla return in present day, but a present day world that has lived with what Godzilla had done in 1954, and then you could introduce some of the other Japanese monsters.

I wonder if this could become a motif for justification over the atom bombing of Hiroshima because Godzilla could be a symbolic curse from the actions the United States took.

I wonder if this could become a motif for justification over the atom bombing of Hiroshima because Godzilla could be a symbolic curse from the actions the United States took.

BINGO!!!!!!!!!

That is an angle I would pursue in an American Godzilla film.

Hopefully show the main monster more then a couple of quick shots with a hand held. :hehe:

Yes, because God forbid a director ask an audience to actually use their imagination. It's MUCh better to just spoon-feed them EVERYTHING. :yay:

Three cities are always attacked by movie monsters when focusing on the United States: Los Angeles, New York City, and Washington D.C.. I say Seattle for once if at all an American city. The only way to kill Godzilla is by America taking a nuke on itself, if we were to go with the justification of the Japanese bombings.

I personally would like an environment similar to the Jurassic Park islands or Peter Jackson's Skull Island, for Monster Island. An island in the Indian Ocean undiscovered by science where years of Cold War nuclear testing took place. Although I want the discovery only found by "sniffer" planes used by the United States to search for nuclear fallout left over from a nuclear test, possibly a North Korean secret. This in order to make the film modern, not in the 1950s.

A sequel to the 1998 version is possible IF the original cast is replaced, and Zilla is considered a pre-mutated form of the new Godzilla that looks like the original. But how likely is that?

Last edited:
I don't remember if the 98 Godzilla movie was terrible but it was a dissapointment. They should definately do a monster vs monster thing .

it's been too long since that movie came out for them to do a sequel..

I'd like your idea as long as it isn't short. The main reason I hated 'Cloverfield' was because it way too short & fastpaced. Plus you barely saw the monster.

all i want is a sequel of the 98 movie, no reboot just have Matt Broderick and Godzilla

The 1998 US Godzilla sucked.

If there's going to be some kind of Japanese/US co-production, it has to preserve the concept of the classic Godzilla with additional added cutting-edge CGI FX.

Yes, because God forbid a director ask an audience to actually use their imagination. It's MUCh better to just spoon-feed them EVERYTHING. :yay:

heh, i liked it. I followed it since the teaser in front of the first transformers was shown without a name. I know the complete viral to the backstories on it. Just wish we could of saw the monster more. Nothing wrong with that. I thought matt reeves did good. :up:

The 1998 US Godzilla sucked.

If there's going to be some kind of Japanese/US co-production, it has to preserve the concept of the classic Godzilla with additional added cutting-edge CGI FX.

did you kiss your mother with that mouth!
....:hehe:
anyways, that movie was gold, imo one of the best movies of 1998

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"