General Trek Talk A Star Trek question

lars573 said:
Actually this concept is like a fusion of elements of Firefly and Farscape. You have 1 normal human, travelling with a bunch of alien outcasts.

Take a look at the original crew of the leviathan Moya and compare them (in very broad strokes) with your concept.

John Crichton -an astronaught from earth who while testing an experimental propulsion system gets pulled into a wormhole (alos knowledge of how to form and use wormholes is downloaded into his brain along the way) and spit out somewhere on the other side of the universe.

Ka D'Argo -A luxan (a race of warriors ie a rip off of Klingons) who was imprisioned by the peacekeepers for the murder of his Sebacean (name of the peacekeeper race) wife. They are real big on genetic purity.

Zhann -Exiled from her race of humanoid plant people because she can feel anger. For them anger is a poison.

Dominar Rigel XVI -Former ruler of the Hynerian empire. He was deposed by his cousin and sold to into slavery.

Officer Aeryn Sun -A Sebacean peacekeeper (who are a lot like Nazi's) who ends up on Moya and is decalred irreversably contaminated. And thus marked for death.

Pilot -The creature that is a symbiatically linked with Moya and communicates her will to the crew. He was not her original pilot though, he was killed by the peacekeepers who wanted to engineer a leviathan warship. Pilots bond with Moya was unatural and painful, as it takes decades to fully bond pilot and ship. But the peacekeepers scientists rigged a way for it to happen in a few weeks.

The first season was driven by Moya and crew running from Captain Crais (who's brother's fighter was taken out by Crichtons ship coming out of the wormhole), who wanted revenge. Intermixed with the crew trying to avenge their wrongs. Like Crichton getting home, Rigel getting his throne back, and D'Argo getting revenge. The other seasons resolved some of the characters motivations, then became about the impending war between the Peacekeepers and the Sacrins. And how Crichtons knowledge of wormholes would save the day.

Again, I've only seen one or two episodes of Farscape. hasn't influenced my ideas in the slightest. Basically, there would be no evil bog brother figure or arch villain. At least, not at first. It would be alot more character driven. However, there would be a storyline where the group is on the Klingon homeworld just as a major military coup against the empire starts up.

Mrh7448 said:
you know I don't hate the idea but I think it needs more of a purpose. People are kind of turning from the single episode story arcs like they had in ST:TNG. I think it would need a strong ongoing plot like a lot of shows are using now, especially sci-fi shows. It would be interesting to see a different take on the federation by someone outside looking in.

Well, my veiw of the Federation in this wouldn't be that negative or positive. It wouldn't be like in Firefly, where most of the main characters are at odds with the Alliance. Based on the situation, the Federation is either a help or a hinderence for the main characters. They would, in fact, hitch rides on none military based Starfleet ships alot. There would even be a streatch where they're passengers on the Enterprise.

Question, the more you describe your idea, the more it sounds like farscape. And I see Im not the only one noticing this. Check the series out man, you'll see, it's pretty much what you are describing

Fine. Whatever. Even though I've noted what I'd do differently from Farscape. In fact, from what I've seen of Farscape, none of the major plot lines from Farscape are the same as what I've got in mind.

Superfreak said:
Question, the more you describe your idea, the more it sounds like farscape. And I see Im not the only one noticing this. Check the series out man, you'll see, it's pretty much what you are describing

You know no idea exists in a void, I'm sure there are similarities between fascape and other series or books or movies or whatever. Their are no completely original ideas, the trick is to take something that yes in passing may be similar and make it into it's one thing.

I mean really how many times have you seen reused Shakespearean plays that have been modified for modern times and other storylines.

The Questions series/idea may have similarities to Farscape that doesn't make it a farscape rip off or a duplicate of it.

Mrh7448 said:
You know no idea exists in a void, I'm sure there are similarities between fascape and other series or books or movies or whatever. Their are no completely original ideas, the trick is to take something that yes in passing may be similar and make it into it's one thing.

I mean really how many times have you seen reused Shakespearean plays that have been modified for modern times and other storylines.

The Questions series/idea may have similarities to Farscape that doesn't make it a farscape rip off or a duplicate of it.

bla bla bla, thanks for the insight, I went to high school aswell. I'm just saying that he should check it out.

I have to agree...after the comparison was made it does sound an awful lot like Farscape. I realize there are some differences...but remember the outcry from Babylon 5 fans when DS9 came out??

The Question said:
It would be about family. Having to decide between the traditions your family holds dear and what you want to do with your life. Trying to reconcile with your relatives after what you see as a grave injustice. And, weather or not family is who you're related to genetically, or simply the people you care about.

No offense, but that sounds like Dawson's Creek: In Space. Star Trek has always been about exploration, new worlds, new civilizations. I can see what you are pitching working for a couple episodes...but an entire series?

Another thing to keep in mind is that Gene created Star Trek to highlight humanity. It's strengths and weaknesses. How even in the vastness of space, surrounded by alien cultures and alien worlds, humanity still finds a way to shine through. That we can evolve past all of our prejudices and become something better. You're all but removing that aspect.

"No aliens didn't build the pyramids. Humans did...because they're clever and work hard." --Gene Roddenberry

The Question said:
Again, I've only seen one or two episodes of Farscape. hasn't influenced my ideas in the slightest. Basically, there would be no evil bog brother figure or arch villain. At least, not at first. It would be alot more character driven. However, there would be a storyline where the group is on the Klingon homeworld just as a major military coup against the empire starts up.

Your missing our point. You ripped off Farscape and Firefly. You didn't do it on purpose, aswell as not even knowing you did it. And you have no intention of doing anything exactly like either show. But your concept has a been there done that feel (from reading your outlines anyway). Everything you decribe is Farscape in the Trek universe, and that is how it will always seem.

huskerwebhead said:
No offense, but that sounds like Dawson's Creek: In Space. Star Trek has always been about exploration, new worlds, new civilizations. I can see what you are pitching working for a couple episodes...but an entire series?

It would be nothing like Dawson's Creek. And, as for the explorarion bit, there would be a good deal of traveling around.

huskerwebhead said:
Another thing to keep in mind is that Gene created Star Trek to highlight humanity. It's strengths and weaknesses. How even in the vastness of space, surrounded by alien cultures and alien worlds, humanity still finds a way to shine through. That we can evolve past all of our prejudices and become something better. You're all but removing that aspect.

"No aliens didn't build the pyramids. Humans did...because they're clever and work hard." --Gene Roddenberry

Fair point. My whole idea for this stemmed from almost every regular alien on a Trek series having that Pinochio complex. Another main point for the series would be to show that the characters who would normally be questioning what it means to be human are the most human characters in the series.

lars573 said:
Your missing our point. You ripped off Farscape and Firefly.

No, I didn't. To rip something off means you knew you did it. And nothing I'd be doing would be similar to Firefly and what I've seen of Farscape in terms of story.

lars573 said:
You didn't do it on purpose, aswell as not even knowing you did it. And you have no intention of doing anything exactly like either show. But your concept has a been there done that feel (from reading your outlines anyway).

My very rough outlines where I haven't really gone into any detail in regards for story ideas.

lars573 said:
Everything you decribe is Farscape in the Trek universe, and that is how it will always seem.

How the hell can you say that? I've only really described the characters and the fact that it wouldn't be about the Federation.

To me Farscape itself shares some elements of Blake's 7 and Buck Rogers. I think a lot of sci-fi/genre shows take or use influences from other sci-fi shows, movies, books, etc.

As long as its not outright thievery, I don't see much of a problem with drawing inspiration from other sources so long as you make it distinct enough to stand on its own.

The Question said:
No, I didn't. To rip something off means you knew you did it. And nothing I'd be doing would be similar to Firefly and what I've seen of Farscape in terms of story.
No it doesn't. I've though up stuff that was a blatant rip-off of other stuff. M2TW it was. My idea for M2TW was nearly indentical to what CA is doing for M2TW. I didn't know anything about, but I still did it.

The Question said:
My very rough outlines where I haven't really gone into any detail in regards for story ideas.
Yeah but what you have said I picked out some Farscape stories that are in the same vien.

The Question said:
How the hell can you say that? I've only really described the characters and the fact that it wouldn't be about the Federation.
The whole conept is Farscape in the trek universe you don't need to give story details.

lars573 said:
Yeah but what you have said I picked out some Farscape stories that are in the same vien.

The only real similarity I can see is that you've got the human amung the aliens. And even then, the dynamic is different. She's not trying to find her way home. She doesn't want to go home.

lars573 said:
The whole conept is Farscape in the trek universe

There are some similarities, but it's not the same exact thing.

lars573 said:
you don't need to give story details.

Yes, you do. The story's what makes up the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"