Abandonned. Legendary Movies that Never Made it to the Big Screen

gwynplaine

L'homme qui rit.
Reaction score
What great film projects that never got made you really wish had been?
If there's already a thread about this topic, please close or merge, thank you.

For me:

Stanley Kubrick's Napoleon
Paul Verhoeven's The Crusades

i remember back in the 90s there were rumors, or maybe it was just wishful thinking, of a Doom movie being made with Arnold in the lead and to be directed by Paul Verhoeven

man, that would have been pretty amazing

The following movies would have likely been insane train wrecks on screen, but I would have liked to have seen them made just for academic purposes.

Lord of the Rings starring the Beatles
Dune dir. by Alejandro Jodorowsky
The Day The Clown Cried dir. and starring Jerry Lewis

Not legendary films, but still abandoned.

Fellini - Mandrake
Sergio Leone - The Phantom

Lucas and Kubrick both wanted to make LOTR. And I recall something about Boorman too. But was it before or after Excalibur?

Lucas and Kubrick both wanted to make LOTR. And I recall something about Boorman too. But was it before or after Excalibur?

Lol, no idea. But something tells me if either of those 3 attempted LOTR, the Jackson films would have never happened, whether the films succeeded or not.

Don't act like James Cameron's Spider-Man wouldn't have been fun to watch. Arnold as Doc Ock? Come on.

Lol, no idea. But something tells me if either of those 3 attempted LOTR, the Jackson films would have never happened, whether the films succeeded or not.
Lucas went on with Star Wars instead. And he admired Flash Gordon very much.
It's not too hard to see where he got the inspiration to his creation.

The following movies would have likely been insane train wrecks on screen, but I would have liked to have seen them made just for academic purposes.

Dune dir. by Alejandro Jodorowsky
The Day The Clown Cried dir. and starring Jerry Lewis
That reminded me of the rumor that at some point Clockwork Orange was going to star The Rolling Stones with Jagger as Alex.
I might be wrong but I think that the Jerry Lewis film was actually made and shelved forever. Probably for the best:woot:

Not legendary films, but still abandoned.

Fellini - Mandrake
Sergio Leone - The Phantom
:awesome:

Don't act like James Cameron's Spider-Man wouldn't have been fun to watch. Arnold as Doc Ock? Come on.
But Michael Biehn as Spider-Man if the film would have come out 1991?

But Michael Biehn as Spider-Man if the film would have come out 1991?

My memory is foggy on it, but I think James Cameron wanted Leo for the role after they finished Titanic. Don't take my word on it, though.

And I think he also wanted Arnold as Doc Ock :funny:

If he had drawn themes from Once Upon a Time in America and his spaghetti westerns to his Phantom version, it could have been something very interesting. Maybe a masterpiece?

The ghost who walks/the man with no name.

A masked vigilante coming to 1930s USA?
A crime fighter of few words? A gritty anti-hero?

My memory is foggy on it, but I think James Cameron wanted Leo for the role after they finished Titanic. Don't take my word on it, though.
But he first tried to get the rights back in early 1990s!!!!!

If he had drawn themes from Once Upon a Time in America and his spaghetti westerns to his Phantom version, it could have been something very interesting. Maybe a masterpiece?

The ghost who walks/the man with no name.

A masked vigilante coming to 1930s USA?
A crime fighter of few words? A gritty anti-hero?
Great parallels:up:
I would have loved to see that, as well as Fellini's Mandrake which I believe would have starred a young Marcello Mastroianni.

I would have loved to see Ridley Scott's take on "I Am Legend."

^I think so, yeah.

I would have loved to see Stanley Kubrick's version of One-Eyed Jacks, ultimately directed by (and starring) Marlon Brando.
A Stanley Kubrick Western:word:

Satoshi Kon's Dreaming Machine
Kubrick's Aryan Papers and his version of A.I.
Spielberg's Night Skies
Coppola's Megalopolis

Last edited:
Lest we forget...

tumblr_m1dpk9y0sL1rrbb7uo1_500.jpg

^:woot:
I would have actually loved to see it

My first thought was Kubrik's Napoleon. I can not even begin to imagine what a Kubrick LOTR would have been like. No doubt it would have not been like the book if his adaption of the Shining is any indication.

I would have loved to see Paradise Lost. Hope Legendary starts that back up again soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"