• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Across the Kraven-verse: How Sony Won the Superhero Cinematic Civil War Thread - Part 59

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah "a young Superman but not an origin" sounds to me like they're copying the approach to The Batman. Obviously Gunn isn't capable of delivering something on that level but that sounds like what they're going for - which again makes me believe that Variety story was on the level, regardless of what Gunn's currently spinning. They have to be THINKING of bringing Battinson into the fold eventually, if they're now making a point of having Superman be his contemporary. It's like they're deliberately opening up that possibility even if they haven't established an actual plan for it yet.

Sorry SnyderBros, it would seem #TheBatmanIsTheBlueprint now! :o

Yeah "a young Superman but not an origin" sounds to me like they're copying the approach to The Batman. Obviously Gunn isn't capable of delivering something on that level but that sounds like what they're going for - which again makes me believe that Variety story was on the level, regardless of what Gunn's currently spinning. They have to be THINKING of bringing Battinson into the fold eventually, if they're now making a point of having Superman be his contemporary. It's like they're deliberately opening up that possibility even if they haven't established an actual plan for it yet.

Sorry SnyderBros, it would seem #TheBatmanIsTheBlueprint now! :o

Theres also a clear financial aspect to this. They’re gonna hire some young unknown guy who’ll take the part for $250,000 and not have to pay Cavill’s $10million fee (im just guessing its around that amount) and that saves on the film’s production costs AND they’ll lock this youngster in early for 5 films. Remember Zaslav’s tightening the money belt.

This means Gal, Jason and especially Johnson are surely finished. Everyone’s getting recast for younger, cheaper actors. Im betting all DC films going forward are gonna have production budgets and salaries similar to The Batman to maximize profitability.

Theres also a clear financial aspect to this. They’re gonna hire some young unknown guy who’ll take the part for $250,000 and not have to pay Cavill’s $10million fee (im just guessing its around that amount) and that saves on the film’s production costs AND they’ll lock this youngster in early for 5 films. Remember Zaslav’s tightening the money belt.

This means Gal, Jason and especially Johnson are surely finished. Everyone’s getting recast for younger, cheaper actors. Im betting all DC films going forward are gonna have production budgets and salaries similar to The Batman to maximize profitability.

Absolutely agree. And that is absolutely the right strategy for them to take.

Momoa already writing meta jokes about playing Aquaman in the dead DCEU, in his first appearance as Lobo.

You know this Superman business is one thing, but I'm starting to realize what could be on the horizon when Gunn gets his raunchy mitts into the Batman side of the DC Universe.

I can only imagine what he would do with Harley & Ivy. Ask him to bring back Birds of Prey and we might get this in live action:

Jenkins already left, so def can happen
It doesn’t seem that she voluntarily left, more that things have stalled in the development phase as Gunn & Safran are figuring out things. I think it’s possible she comes back, along with Gadot provided they’re able to make adhere within the plan but frankly I do want Wonder Woman soft rebooted with a new actress in the lead and creative team. I like Gadot but for me she just isn’t a strong enough actress for Diana. She has charm, sure, but when it comes to dramatic scenes or scenes that require a more nuance performance she’s simply unable to deliver even under Jenkins. So I do hope that both Jenkins and Gadot are done. If they are doing a clean reboot they shouldn’t half-ass it and keep Snyder leftovers, imo. We’ll see.

Hypothetically… I think a new Superman could team up with Pattinson’s Batman. But it would have to be an interpretation that’s consistent with the serious/grounded tone and mood that Reeves established in The Batman — and which would, presumably, be carried over to any and all sequels and spinoffs (e.g. HBO’s The Penguin). However, if the goal is to reset Supes as a less broody, more wholesome figure, I don’t see compatibility. And I don’t see Reeves compromising on his own approach to the genre.

You know this Superman business is one thing, but I'm starting to realize what could be on the horizon when Gunn gets his raunchy mitts into the Batman side of the DC Universe.

I can only imagine what he would do with Harley & Ivy. Ask him to bring back Birds of Prey and we might get this in live action:

Idk, when has Gunn ever sexualized the women in his movies? He took Gamora out of her ridiculous comic costume, and objectified Harley way less than Ayer's film.

If anything, based on Peacemaker, it seems way more likely we see Bat-ass in an upcoming movie

Hypothetically… I think a new Superman could team up with Pattinson’s Batman. But it would have to be an interpretation that’s consistent with the serious/grounded tone and mood that Reeves established in The Batman — and which would, presumably, be carried over to any and all sequels and spinoffs (e.g. HBO’s The Penguin). However, if the goal is to reset Supes as a less broody, more wholesome figure, I don’t see compatibility. And I don’t see Reeves compromising on his own approach to the genre.

Batman TAS and Superman coexisted well despite having totally different tones

That said, I also wouldn't mind if they convinced Reeves to go a little more weird and fantastical with it. I doubt he'll go Mad Hatter/Man Bat level weird with it... but maybe Ventriloquist, or at least Court of Owls as opposed to "Mob story with a guy dressed as a bat" like we've seen for the last 15 years

Idk, when has Gunn ever sexualized the women in his movies? He took Gamora out of her ridiculous comic costume, and objectified Harley way less than Ayer's film.

If anything, based on Peacemaker, it seems way more likely we see Bat-ass in an upcoming movie

It's just knowing what he's capable of with his... style of writing and knowing that the only creative he has to answer to this time is himself. I just don't trust his perception and him having characters like Harley and Ivy in his toy box. But we'll see.

Definitely might see Bat-ass, you got a point there.

Batman TAS and Superman coexisted well despite having totally different tones

That said, I also wouldn't mind if they convinced Reeves to go a little more weird and fantastical with it. I doubt he'll go Mad Hatter/Man Bat level weird with it... but maybe Ventriloquist, or at least Court of Owls as opposed to "Mob story with a guy dressed as a bat" like we've seen for the last 15 years

That's how I see it also. It could work.

No one is talking about the box office element of this. Will people show up to yet another Superman reboot? Evidence has been piling up to see that superhero movies are reaching a saturation point. Even marvel studios movies are now making less money than what they were expected to. Look at Thor and BP. How will the new DC fare?

If they make a great Superman film, people will come. I think people want Superman. But he needs his Captain America The Winter Soldier that reminds us why we love him

Not only that, what Marvel did also requires something no one can control: luck. At any time their jenga tower could've came crumbling down if, say, something happened to one of their key actors. To make a cinematic universe work it takes a lot of planning but also a tremendous amount of luck and things falling into place. You banking on your actors' well being, and them staying out of trouble, controversy, contract negotiation trouble etc. Look at what DC is facing with actors like Ezra Miller, Ray Fisher, Affleck etc.

Luck is definitely a factor, but I'd argue that good planning can protect from the vicissitudes of luck, at least somewhat. In the case of the MCU. . . yeah, they absolutely needed RDJ to work in Iron Man 1, that's inarguable. However, part of their structural plan involved a lot of diversification with numerous heroes who are all leads of their own movies. This would mean that, if something *did* happen to one of their key actors, they have options other than "close up shop".

This is something any future DCEU plans should imitate: don't make ten years worth of movie plans that all hinge around a single actor. Write multiple storyline threads around multiple leads. This isn't just about insurance against an actor going insane or getting imprisoned or dying- its also hedging against the simple fact that you don't *know* what characters and stories will go over with the audience. The biggest mistake of the DCEU, after all, was making years of future plans and multiple in-progress movies that all revolved around the audience loving Batman v Superman.

So do they go with “The Superman”

Oooooh maybe they go with “The Man of Steel”

or maybe…… just maybe………

Superman: The Man of Steel

Actually, simplest title is just: Superman. The original film was Superman: The Movie and then the sequels were numbered. No film was actually just Superman. That's the title

Actually, simplest title is just: Superman. The original film was Superman: The Movie and then the sequels were numbered. No film was actually just Superman. That's the title

I believe its official title is Superman. And that’s how it appeared in the film’s opening credits. But in almost all advertising (posters, etc.), “the Movie” was added as a subtitle.

No one is talking about the box office element of this. Will people show up to yet another Superman reboot? Evidence has been piling up to see that superhero movies are reaching a saturation point. Even marvel studios movies are now making less money than what they were expected to. Look at Thor and BP. How will the new DC fare?

They showed up for yet another Batman reboot. And Superman has had way less on screen representation than Batman in recent years.

If they write a movie as good as The Batman, it'll do well at the box office... especially if they can keep the budget at a sensible level - below 150 million.

Last edited:
As long as they don't call it The Superman.

That would seem a little derivative.

Maybe The Last Son of Krypton

I believe its official title is Superman. And that’s how it appeared in the film’s opening credits. But in almost all advertising (posters, etc.), “the Movie” was added as a subtitle.

In the film itself, you are correct. But still the marketing title is the official title if you ever search for it on blu ray or streaming

I wonder what they plan to do about Flash now. A few of the trade outlets talked about Cavill filming a cameo for it after the Rock brought him back, but that the new DC heads weren't happy as they don't want to make it seem like the movie is setting him up for more appearances, since he's being replaced.

Problem is, that's basically true of the entire ending of the movie from what we know.
What with Michael Keaton officially replacing Ben Affleck as the DCEU Batman and Supergirl being brought over into the main timeline as well. And then there's the rumored post-credits scene that teases the Crisis on Infinite Earths movie they planned to do.
Do they just cut all of that now? Completely reshoot the ending to give a sense of closure instead? Is that even feasible?

The Batman's version of Batman doesn't seem to be at all written to be able to deal with the kind of threats that are likely to come up in crossovers in a shared universe so they'd have quite a job to make that work without creating a lot of dissonance between films.

Eh, I disagree. While stylistically he's very gritty and street level, he's still at least as much a dude with improbable physical skills and advanced tech as the Nolan Batman, *and* he has a much more detective-focus which would be one of the more helpful angles in a JLA/crossover context. Especially when you factor in that "JLA Batman" probably wouldn't be "Battinson Batman circa TB", it'd be "Battinson Batman circa several years post TB". The Batman is basically 'Batman Year Two' after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"