• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Across the Kraven-verse: How Sony Won the Superhero Cinematic Civil War Thread - Part 59

Status
Not open for further replies.
I still remember how disappointing watching that stupid neck snap was. This whole damn farce can probably be traced back to that moment. If they were going to allow that, then it was clear they didn't have a handle on the character at all.

I would argue that they *could* have made even this work, if the rest of the movie were written in support of it. Establish that Clark is a man of great compassion and great conviction, who tries to save everyone, even his enemies. Faced with a situation where despite his best efforts, he can't save everyone, so he regretfully does his best and mourns the loss. Set is as a contrast to a better-written death of Pa Kent, and make it clear that just like his father's death, the fact that he had to kill Zod is something that Clark is never actually going to forget, its one of the formative experiences that will shape his life from there on out.

They just. . . didn't, because the writing never gelled into anything more deep than "Isn't it realistic and gritty that Superman would have to kill someone?"

“Kill them all, my son.” - Kevin Costner as “Pa” Kent in 2013’s ‘Man of Steel’

It’s a real quote from the film, just trust me.
They really hammered that point across in the scene when young Clark was watching this on TV:

penny-wise-kell-them-all.gif

As for the Cavill news, it really does seem like new brooms sweep clean. I suspect we've also seen the last of Momoa and Gadot too...

It's plausible that Gunn wants to wipe away all aspects of the Snyder-Verse entirely, which won't make me shed any tears if we're being honest here. Reeves and Battinson are safe (Hurray!) which is a relief, considering The Batman is one of my favourite CBMs ever...

I wonder now if Gunn will go ahead with the musical Joker/Gaga sequel. knowing what I know from watching his previous films, the concept sounds just off-the-wall enough to appeal to Gunn's sensibilities...

055658F5FF412139E69F1368D436009FC51CA391
If Gunn were doing that instead of the new Superman (writing for now) it’d make more sense to me. I would have expected him and Safran to have specific guidelines of what they wanted the Superman film to cover but not for Gunn to actually write it.

Looks like they are going for a clean sweep outside of The Batman and probably trying to pay new actors much less on long term deals as part of that.

This whole project has turned into a huge mess for The Rock, and it’s been mainly down to him. He has irritated a fair chunk of his own fans. This is the time to learn to be humble and he might get some of them back for his far better regular style of films (guest appearances in ensembles where he takes the piss out of himself).

Wouldn't expect anything less from such an egotistical manchild. God forbid he actually support the film from where his 'favourite' character originated.

He never gave a damn about DC, comic books fans, or anything else other than Dwayne Johnson. Go back to shilling your disgusting power energy drink, and congrats on another great heel turn.

This whole project has tuned into a huge mess for The Rock, and it’s been mainly down to him. He has irritated a fair chunk of his own fans. This is the time to learn to be humble and he might get some of them back for his far better regular style of films (guest appearances in ensembles where he takes the piss out himself).

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dwayne calls up “big brother” and fulfills his destiny.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Dwayne calls up “big brother” and fulfills his destiny.
As atonement for his misdeeds against Vin and La Familia, Dwayne is gonna have to put out a video admitting that Vin is bigger, stronger and can lift more weights than him. Can’t even imagine how devastating that will be for him and his ego.

Last edited:

I always enjoy Dan’s level headed analysis of things, hood summary of this whole debacle and Cavill’s time as Superman.

This whole project has turned into a huge mess for The Rock, and it’s been mainly down to him. He has irritated a fair chunk of his own fans. This is the time to learn to be humble and he might get some of them back for his far better regular style of films (guest appearances in ensembles where he takes the piss out of himself).
I will say, I do sympathize with The Rock on one thing. I also am disappointed that we will never get to experience the greatness of Black Adam v Justice League v Suicide Squad. We are being robbed of an all time cultural landmark in cinema.

I will say, I do sympathize with The Rock on one thing. I also am disappointed that we will never get to experience the greatness of Black Adam v Justice League v Suicide Squad. We are being robbed of an all time cultural landmark in cinema.
Yeah, that part is quite tragic for us, especially while Morbius and Venom are current JL members. :csad:

Now that the dust has settled a little and I've let it all marinate I'm becoming okay with all this and putting aside my bias for Cavill, I think starting fresh could potentially drum up excitement for the character again. I think through everything they've been through with Snyder Gunn probably has a pretty good pulse on what fans want to see from the character. More warmth, more charm, more color, more fun than the serious straightfaced Snyder/Cavill take (which I liked personally).

I hope that they dont aim too low though and were not going to get a lowkey Superman adventure where he's battling Lex once again. In my mind's eye I think we're all ready for a big blockbuster Superman vs. Brainiac movie and i hope at least the seeds for that are set in this first installment.

Cavill seems nice enough so it's little sad to see him bear the brunt of WB's idiocy. That said, I think a fresh start is better for Superman at this point. Looks more and more like DC is getting a thorough reset. Cool, bring it on.

Gotta say The Rock has made it very easy to root for Black Adam's demise. I look forward to hearing how the movie was so successful that no sequel was needed.

To be fair, they did actually deliver with the first one. He was just played by a different actor now.

It wasn't a post credits either was it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"