Action figures are tiny again.

Timstuff

Avenger
Reaction score
Has anyone noticed that before this so-called economic recession, we were enjoying action figures that were much bigger than the ones we have now, and at much more reasonable prices?

Back in the latter 90's, a 3 3/4 inch scale action figure would run you up about $4.50 at the local Wal-Mart or toy store. About two, maybe 3 years ago, 6" scale action figures were all the rage, and they were priced around $6-10, depending on the store and line. Those were the good days, when you could amass a collection of plastic figurines rather quickly without breaking the bank.

Now though, I walk into the toy aisle at the local big box store, and what do my sad eyes behold? The Marvel Legends 6" line has been replaced with the X-Men Origins line of 3 3/4" figures, and they're charging $8 a piece for them! Seriously, this recession must be hitting us hard, because back before the recession, $8 for a 4" figure would have been considered outrageous. As the action figures get smaller, the prices go up. Even the prices of 3 3/4" GI Joes has shot up to $8, even though just a few years ago I was finding the 8" Sigma 6 figures for $10 or less.

Man, I really hope we pull out of this recession sooner rather than later... I miss the days when I wasn't digging deep into my pockets for an action figure barely bigger than my finger. :(

For real, man.

I totally passed on any and all 3.75 figures. I collect mostly Marvel Legends and a select few DC, but I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend $8-10 for a little figure. Not gonna do it. Especially when the 6" Legends sell for $11 or 12 bucks. I'll just wait it out.

Even with the ML 2-packs at $23, thats still 11 bucks each, basically.

$12 for 6" > $8 for 3.75"

Has anyone noticed that before this so-called economic recession, we were enjoying action figures that were much bigger than the ones we have now, and at much more reasonable prices?

Back in the latter 90's, a 3 3/4 inch scale action figure would run you up about $4.50 at the local Wal-Mart or toy store. About two, maybe 3 years ago, 6" scale action figures were all the rage, and they were priced around $6-10, depending on the store and line. Those were the good days, when you could amass a collection of plastic figurines rather quickly without breaking the bank.

Now though, I walk into the toy aisle at the local big box store, and what do my sad eyes behold? The Marvel Legends 6" line has been replaced with the X-Men Origins line of 3 3/4" figures, and they're charging $8 a piece for them! Seriously, this recession must be hitting us hard, because back before the recession, $8 for a 4" figure would have been considered outrageous. As the action figures get smaller, the prices go up. Even the prices of 3 3/4" GI Joes has shot up to $8, even though just a few years ago I was finding the 8" Sigma 6 figures for $10 or less.

Man, I really hope we pull out of this recession sooner rather than later... I miss the days when I wasn't digging deep into my pockets for an action figure barely bigger than my finger. :(
Boo-Hoo. TRU charges $10.99 for single carded 1/18th Marvel figures and GI-Joes. Zellers marked up the Indiana Jones single cards to $12.99 in march. Then put them on clearance for $9.99 (their original price).

i HHHHHHAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTEEEEEEEEEEEE the 3 3/4 figs
that scale is only ment for g.i. joes and star wars imo. you can't capture any detail in that scale for comic book characters. the worst part is that it seems like Hasbro plans to stick to that scale for marvel figures. Hasbro is an abomination to that which Toybiz has created.

and as for the price and such, i was half for gettin the movie Barakapool simply because it was an alright design, but when i saw the price i turned away instantly. 2$ less and its not even HALF the size of the regular MLs.....pffft

I simply just don't buy them.To me they are crappy.I'll stick to my Marvel legends.

I simply just don't buy them.To me they are crappy.I'll stick to my Marvel legends.

this is true, but now theres nothing to look forward to....this is why I'm probably gonna start making customs though

I'm just going to hunt down more Marvel Legends figures and start making customs of them. DC Legends, anyone? :D

this is true, but now theres nothing to look forward to....this is why I'm probably gonna start making customs though

Ah, but just you wait until SDCC in July. That's when Hasbro will reveal their plans for the future of 6" Marvel Legends. It's not over yet, dude.

Do they still plan to continue the Marvel Legends line?

Hasbro says yes and will reveal stuff at San diego.

hasbro never said they are continuing legends
what they said was "we will have a big announcement about marvel legends at sdcc"
which probably means
"we are no longer continuing marvel legends"
heres a question from a q and a that just came out yesterday

MN: You have teased news about the 6" Marvel Legends line will be revealed at SDCC. Many fans have been left feeling that Hasbro has no real plans to support this line into the future, that it's all 3 3'4 from here on. Is someone at Hasbro willing to go on record here and now to assure fans of the 6" stuff that this is not the case and that the news that will be revealed in SDCC is something that should really make them happy?

Hasbro: We know fans of the 6" lines are eager for new news about their favorite scale. We're still planning to reveal some new news at SDCC, but as mentioned previously, we won't be discussing the details until then!

they cant even say yes its continuing but we cant reveal what at this time

I was just gonna grab that QA post.

they never really say anything.

But damn I hope they do a Matty Collector type thing with it.

I hope the Marvel Legends line continue long enough for them to make Movie figures out of Gambit, Angel, Shadowcat, Ray Stevenson Punisher and Elektra. :csad:

I'll be pissed if the Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America figures are 3 3/4 figures, too. :cmad:

I can't stress how ticked I am over this current scale for so many figures. Especially for the prices they now go for, grr. Makes me wish back then I had been more into comics and gotten a good number of figures I want badly now, since online to get these figures you really have to break tooth and nail to afford them.

I hope the Marvel Legends line continue long enough for them to make Movie figures out of Gambit, Angel, Shadowcat, Ray Stevenson Punisher and Elektra. :csad:

I'll be pissed if the Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America figures are 3 3/4 figures, too. :cmad:

1-you wont ever get angel,shadowcat,punisher or electra,and if you get gambit,he will be 3 3/4
2-im 99% positive they will be 3 3/4. id bet money on it

Movie style Gambit will be 1/18th. He's in Wolverine Origins, and it's line is 1/18th.

1-you wont ever get angel,shadowcat,punisher or electra,and if you get gambit,he will be 3 3/4
2-im 99% positive they will be 3 3/4. id bet money on it

A guy can dream, can't he? :o

You said it, man. I saw a really cool Fury Files Hulk today at Walmart....but it cost $8.94 :wow:

They can pretty much kiss my ass, at that price. :down

Salvation/Origins/Star Trek have all released 3 inch figures, which sucked. But at least Salvation and Trek released 6 inch also.

the future hope for the closer to 6 inch movie line lies with Diamond Select.

They did a Wolverine for this film.....which is the first movie fig they did for Marvel (To my knowledge) and I assume that arrangement was made due to hasbro not doing 6 inch ones......so I presume that in the future we will see IM, Cap and Thor movie versions from Diamond Select.

the tiny scale figures suck ass

with exception to star wars lines of course

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"