Alan Wake.

WhatsHisFace

Avenger
Reaction score
Who? Remedy, the developer behind the highly successful and celebrated Max Payne titles.

What? Alan Wake, a psychological thriller (think Max Payne's dream sequences) with an interesting "Am I insane" story in which you can expect a fantastic twist, perhaps that there is no twist.

Where? Published by Microsoft, you can expect this to be Xbox360 only until way down the line someone ports it to Microsoft Vista.

When? Before Halo 3, but your guess is as good as mine. It's expected very early next year, but Remedy did blow Max Payne 1's deadline by four years. (Max Payne 2 arrived early though, so don't try to guess).

Why? Classic action/adventure gameplay, an incredible "Silent Hill" meets "Amber" type story, probably existencial philosophy knowing Remedy, and...

alan-wake-20060509052008578.jpg

alan-wake-20060509052009906.jpg

alan-wake-20060509052026171.jpg

alan-wake-20050621093035298.jpg

Yeah, this game looks pretty good, a thousand times better than that Resistance crap :down:o

Manny Calavera said:
Yeah, this game looks pretty good, a thousand times better than that Resistance crap :down:o
Resistance has to compete with Bioshock, being as they're both time-period pieces of shooter/RPGs. (Sony loses)

Killzone has to compete with Halo. (LOL)

Sony's competition for this game is probably Silent Hill 5, even though that will be on the 360 as well. So basically, this just crushes the PS3 just because it can, or wants to. No competition for this baby, at least none we know of.

Hahaha, Resistance vs Bioshock, what a joke :D

Anyways, yeah, I forgot about this game for a while, then thought it would suck, but I'm pretty happy about it now, I think it's going to kick ass. I'm erratic like that.

Manny Calavera said:

Anyways, yeah, I forgot about this game for a while, then thought it would suck, but I'm pretty happy about it now, I think it's going to kick ass. I'm erratic like that.

I WAS JUST TALKING WITH BLAS ABOUT THAT VERY THING, LAST NIGHT. :dry:

Manny Calavera said:

It will actually kick ass. Remedy is an awesome developer, and this time, their writer was in on the game concept, so he's basically set free. He's a darn good writer, and he's not pidgeonholed into a Matrix-styled gun game, so this game WILL have an amazing story.

Manny Calavera said:
The graphics are nice, is it another UE3.0 title?
No actually. Remedy has great programmers. It's all proprietary except for the physics, which of course, are Havok.

But man, this is a great looking game. If Mass Effect didn't exist, I'd say it was the best looking game out there (it's a freeroaming world, remember. This graphically competes with GTA games, not Gears of War games with smaller areas).

That last shot looks...wrong, I don't know what it is, but it just looks more "fake" than the other pictures, I can't put my finger on why :confused:

The bridge shot is fantastic though, nearly photorealistic.

Manny Calavera said:
That last shot looks...wrong, I don't know what it is, but it just looks more "fake" than the other pictures, I can't put my finger on why :confused:

The bridge shot is fantastic though, nearly photorealistic.
The paint on the banister and the house is perfect, while the paint on the porch is cracked and dry. Also, the doors look wierd until you realise they're windowed doors with ray-traced shadows on them.

This game will rock when it eventually comes out.

WhatsHisFace said:
The paint on the banister and the house is perfect, while the paint on the porch is cracked and dry. Also, the doors look wierd until you realise they're windowed doors with ray-traced shadows on them.
No, I think it's that certain parts of the picture look photorealistic like the rest of the shots, but then some parts just...don't, it's like two different sets of art assets were just mixed together for that :confused:

I'm sold on this game, Bioshock and GTA4.

I'll wait for a pricedrop on the 360, then I'll buy it.

Addendum said:
I'm sold on this game, Bioshock and GTA4.

I'll wait for a pricedrop on the 360, then I'll buy it.

Mass Effect, Gears of War, Halo 3, Fable 2... Get ready.

Gears of War and Mass Effect are maybes.

I have yet to play Fable 1, even though I bought it a month ago.

As for Halo, I'm still on Halo 1 and need to find a reason to continue playing it.

Addendum said:
Gears of War and Mass Effect are maybes.

I have yet to play Fable 1, even though I bought it a month ago.

As for Halo, I'm still on Halo 1 and need to find a reason to continue playing it.

Mass Effect and Gears of War both look unbelievable, especially Mass Effect. Go play Fable now, it's really good, but Fable 2 will be even better. And a reason to play Halo is that it kicks ass. :confused::up:

Manny Calavera said:
The target audience for American Idol reveals itself...

OUCH.......THAT WAS A BIT HARSH. :O

:p

Manny Calavera said:
The target audience for American Idol reveals itself...
What is American Idol :confused:

And I've gotten tired of playing games where I have to "save humanity"

Because that's the entire game and story. Master Chief on one end of the field, an elite on the other, and a big waving flag that says "kill him to save humanity!". Nope, nothing else there, nothing at all :dry:

Oh, I forget. Because everyone else likes the damn game means that I HAVE TO like it.

Even though I've lost interest in it.

No, it's just nice to hear actual reasons instead of "I'm sick of stories where there's a person and he has a goal but there's something standing in the way, you know, ALL stories" or Gamera's famous "I don't like alien guns". It'd be like me saying I hate grand theft auto games because of the box art.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"