Bought/Thought May 14th, 2008

CaptainCanada

Shield of the True North
Reaction score
Booster Gold #9

I’ll begin this review by stating, once again, that if this story arc ends with Blue Beetle going back to die in order to restore the future (as has been the obvious ending since issue 5), this arc will have been both massively misjudged and incredibly predictable. With that disclaimer out of the way, this is another good issue, as we continue with the standard "apocalyptic alternate future" scenario. Booster and Beetle use the Mother Box the stole to hunt down other members of the JLI (Guy Gardner, Fire, Ice, Mister Miracle, Martian Manhunter) (I wasn’t around for the original series, so I review this without nostalgia), before storming Brother I’s satellite to try and defeat Maxwell Lord and mind-controlled Superman. There are a couple of good twists, and the coup de grace in the fight against Lord is assigned to a surprising character who rarely gets to do much. In an interesting twist on most alternate futures, the story is peppered with references to stuff that happened later in the mainstream universe (the arrival of Alex Luthor and co., "Sinestro Corps") that happened differently. This story isn’t nearly as amusing as the first few, deliberately, but the drama is solid; Jurgens’ art remains high quality, and I’m glad he’s sticking around after.

Captain Britain and MI:13 #1

The successor to New Excalibur has arrived, and it thankfully looks much more like Wisdom than it does New Excalibur. The Skrulls are invading Ye Olde England, and Captain Britain joins a group of MI:13 operatives led by Pete Wisdom (also including John the Skrull (I’ll miss the other Skrull-Beatles), and Spitfire the WII-era British speedster, now apparently a vampire too; what would her father say?) out to prevent the Skrulls from conquering the Otherworld and seizing control of Britain’s magic (a formidable strategic weapon, it seems). Elsewhere, Black Knight and the new character, Faiza, put in an appearance, though it’s not yet clear how they’re going to link up with the other four. It’s a strong debut issue, with good action (some of the Skrull power combinations are fun), a few character hooks (such as whatever’s going on with Jackie), and a good cliffhanger ending (though, his name’s on the book, so I wouldn’t be too worried). Leonard Kirk’s art is fantastic here; the best I’ve ever seen from him.

Clandestine #4

Speaking of British heroes, Alan Davis’ miniseries nears its end, and there are about three or four plots going here that have no obvious connection, so there’s a distinct feeling that Davis jumped at the opportunity to revisit his creations and crammed in as many stories as he could, since (especially based on sales) there isn’t likely to be another shot for a while yet; I hope Cornell finds room for a guest appearance by the Clan at some point, because it would be a shame for them to fade away again; they’re good characters. Davis is still toying with audience expectations; the resolution to last month’s cliffhanger ending is not what one would expect. He also ties one plot into the Destines’ first appearance, and has a bit more fun with Dominic and time-lost Excalibur. A very enjoyable story, with entertaining writing and Davis’ customary strong art.

Huntress: Year One #1

DC’s "Random Origin Story Retelling Wheel" finally lands on a character I’m interested in reading about, everyone’s favourite crossbow-wielding Bat-family outsider. I’ve always thought Huntress had one of the more compelling origin stories at DC outside of the icons, and this is off to a good start; I particularly like the reversal of the typical "you killed my family" dynamic, since her family (her father, anyway) was involved in crime, rather than being the victims of criminals, which is how things usually go. The writer is Ivory Madison, one of the few ladies to venture into the field, and this is a very good debut (there’s one point where debate over gender-specific words like ‘actress’ seems a bit too academic for someone like Helena). Cliff Richards, the artist, who I recall for one of those "Outsiders: Five of a Kind" one-shots, does a great job as well.

Iron Man: Legacy of Doom #2

Iron Man faces off with his demon-dad (literal, rather than figurative, demon) in Hell, while Doom uses a captive Morgan le Fay to initiative the next phase of his evil plan, taking possession of the sword Excalibur. It’s another enjoyable, old-school adventure, with great art from Ron Lim; I’m not too familiar with how Howard Stark has typically been portrayed in the comics, but this issue doesn’t have a very high opinion of him. It’s also nice to see Michelinie and Layton pick up on the thread of what happened to Morgan at the end of the first "Camelot" story, since we know she eventually ended up back in the present, the better to fight Spider-Woman and the Avengers in the future (if this is the last we see of her, it doesn’t exactly leave her in a place where she’d be interesting in ****ing Doom, but whatever; a few years of being totally alone might make her desperate for male companionship).

Wonder Woman #20

We launch a new, rather vaguely-premised arc that sees Diana involuntarily enlisted by a mid-70s Paul Levitz character named "Stalker" to go to his world and slay their version of the Devil, necessitating a change into a fur-based costume that is really cool, but totally impractical for the winter (not that superhero costumes normally take practicality into consideration), and a team-up with the epic hero Beowulf. These segments are pulled off with aplomb (Simone is really good at giving Diana a sense of humour without writing her as an American, which is something a lot of writers can’t do (Jodi Picoult, for one)). We also get more DOMA stuff (that place needs a new acronym), which is still annoying/boring; I don’t care about Diana’s false identity; in fact, I’d love if it were discovered, so this stupid story could be over. This issue also sees the debut of Aaron Lopresti as regular artist, and his work is terrific; I hope he sticks around the title for a good while yet.

X-Men Origins: Colossus

It's been said that Stan Lee liked the idea of mutants because it was a catch-all explanation for how a hero (or villain) got their powers, and saved having to come up with bizarre new origins for characters. And it's served the X-Men quite well. Here we get a psychological origin (which has become more important than the "powers" explanation in the current age of comics), as well as expanding how Colossus' early life went. It's quite well-done; Chris Yost and Trevor Hairsine provide quality writing and art (Hairsine does a great Colossus, though his renditions of everyone else on the final page are a bit more middling).

Thunderbolts just usurped Iron Man: Director of SHIELD as my favorite Marvel book. This issue was just filled with awesome from beginning to end, particularly the battle between Green Goblin and Swordsman.

Swordsman: "You can't do this to me! I'm a baron!"
Green Goblin: "I AM GOD!"

Sad that there's only one issue left. :csad:

My shop was sold out of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #1, and hopefully they get some more tomorrow as they promised. Aside for that, it has been a small but good week so far.

As always, expect full spoilers.

Dread's BOUGHT/THOUGHT for 5/14/08:

BOOSTER GOLD #9:
Still knee deep in the "Booster saved Beetle" storyarc and it really doesn't get a whole lot better than this title on a roll so far. You have good story-telling from Johns & Katz that includes good lines, good action pacing and some character moments. From Jurgens & Rapmund you get steady, solid visuals every time. And this book has absolutely nothing to do with never-ending crossover Silver Age cluster-**** that the rest of DC's titles seem to be on, which means it actually is good. There is nostalgia about "old stuff", but because the nature of the story is about time travel, and we suspect that it all can't last, it works. It isn't, say, the core creators of DC claiming everything post 1986 was garbage and undoing it in REAL CONTINUITY, which is the kick DC seems to be on now.

Such a shame, then, that the launch team's issues are numbered, and they will be leaving the book fairly soon. Better enjoy it while it lasts.

Left with an altered timeline in which because Booster saved Ted Kord, Max Lord has taken over the world with Brother I and only a few B and C List heroes are left to oppose him, Booster and Beetle seek to reunite the JLI. There are some contrived bits, namely, Lord bothering to keep a wild card powerhouse like J'onn alive (considering telepathy is a rare power in DC and J'onn was one of few heroes to possess it), and Lord just-so-happening to bring in Dr. Light as Booster & Ted reunite Guy, Ice, Fire, and Mr. Miracle, but it isn't too bad. Guy, at the very least, has an exhausted power ring and a diminished battery in Oa, so he has to limit his power uses. Batman, of course, actually wasn't killed by OMAC Alfred and has played spy the entire time. And Ice's godly relations won't lend a hand. It always has bemused me that for a guy who is basically just an escape artist, Mr. Miracle has the largest cape this side of Dr. Strange. Must be hard escaping chains with a bedsheet draped around you.

Once the forces are gathered, they launch an assault on Lord, beating his OMAC's and with Dr. Light landing the fatal strike, which I felt was a little anti-climatic (unless you happen to like her, which I don't). Unfortunately, now the Time-Stealers are coming to collect their prize and set up the cliffhanger.

BOOSTER GOLD is a fun ride, solid on the fundamentals all around and while it lovingly homages the past, does so in a way that is still endearing rather than infuriating. If only the rest of the line could capture that magic.

CAPTAIN BRITAIN AND M.I. 13 #1: It seems we are getting a launch book with an obnoxiously long title every other month now, but that is pretty much the only downside to this new team title by Paul "No one outside the UK read my WISDOM book aside for 20 people across the Internet" Cornell and Leonard "Why does no one love AGENTS OF ATLAS?" Kirk. Seriously, regardless of sales, Kirk finds a way to do art for series that are usually of decent quality.

This is being launched as a SECRET INVASION title, which of course risks repeating the antics of CIVIL WAR/THE INITIATIVE. That is, throw out a few new books with B-List stars with the crossover banner, watch as the crossover gets them a solid debut, and then watch sales fall like a stone before the 6th issue. Ah, well, I suppose being a good EIC means doing the same idea over and over and learning nothing from the results. Still, I hope this title can buck the trend. Considering WWH and probably SI will sell more modestly than the record-breaking CW, it may sink or swim on buzz & quality. Still, these are B-List names with B-List characters; I expect the first issue to sell in the Top 50, and the rest to fall off. Call me jaded about mainstream buyers, especially in a slowing economy.

Still, this is a good start and a solid way to showcase SI was being a GLOBAL threat as the Skrull armada attacks Great Britain (even one of the characters whines about it not being localized to New York). Naturally, Britain's superheroes are quick to take action. Capt. Britain fights off hordes with his great strength, Pete Wisdom plays the "mutant spook who hears voices" to save a Skrull John Lennon, Spitfire shows her new fangs (!), Black Knight gets his cajones back and fangirl nurse Faiza shares banter with Dane and tries to save lives amid the chaos.

At first I was put off by Dane Whitman simply trading in his armor for some cliched "leather jacket and jeans" like too many heroes seem to have, but Cornell writes his banter so well with Faiza that I really don't have time to care. He is basically trying to do a STARLORD turn on Dane and I don't mind that at all. Kirk's art as always is solid with great inks and colors, and he has fun with the Super-Skrull soldiers' power sets, unleashing squads that have a "Morbius" or "Champions of L.A." power-set, etc.

The heroes figure out that the Skrulls are after the Siege Perilous, one of the key sources of the UK's and the world's magic. Captain Britain, inspired by the example of the lost Captain America, flies into the fray to save it and is seemingly blown to bits. It wouldn't be the first time Braddock has seemingly died, but we DO have a fresh new heroine in Faiza and just because the title has CB in the title doesn't mean it has to be the same one. I mean, NOVA pulled that trick by having Ko-Rel star in two issues. It has been a while since anyone was empowered by a "random energy blast" like Faiza was so I expect something more grand like someone offering her the "amulet or the sword". So while good money is on Braddock surviving, there always is that chance.

I wonder if this may tie into Meggan's seeming sacrifice years ago and possibly a return. Brian forgot about it post HOM, but you never known. Cornell seems to know his stuff.

I have no clue why Spitfire is a vampire or how it happened, or even how a vampire can kill enhanced Skrulls with one bite (or even scare them), but I suppose we will wait for the answer. Personally, I think it is just a random change for change's sake, but we'll see what Cornell has up his sleeve.

Skrull "John" is good for a laugh and is full of British zaniness. There are bits when it seems like Cornell is trying too hard, but they are few and far between. Nice to see someone have fun with an old corny gag like the Skrull Beatles.

CB&MI13 covers the superhero basics and offers a debut issue that has a lot of action, gets right into the story quick, plays with the crossover well, maintains a bit of continuity and is written & drawn quite well. Solid debut. Considering the only character in this title that I bought comics of before was Black Knight, and it is extra impressive.

Bought, but didn't read: THE LAST DEFENDERS #3 & THE TWELVE #5: Hope to add GOTG #1 to this list by tomorrow.

Dammit, Dread, you don't buy Thunderbolts either?

Dammit, Dread, you don't buy Thunderbolts either?

I never have before. Why would I now? I don't care about SI that much.

I mean, SI:FF finally plays with the Lyja subplot for the first time in a decade and I couldn't be bothered. I've played the loser's game of buying extra books I don't normally for a crossover, and I don't feel like biting again.

I never have before. Why would I now? I don't care about SI that much.

I mean, SI:FF finally plays with the Lyja subplot for the first time in a decade and I couldn't be bothered. I've played the loser's game of buying extra books I don't normally for a crossover, and I don't feel like biting again.

Thunderbolts doesn't tie into SI till a couple of more issues

Frackin' assnuggets, my shop didn't have Captain Britain. I gotta wait until tonight to check another shop in town for it. BLURGH! :cmad:

Anyway, I did read Guardians of the Galaxy, which ruled, and Green Lantern Corps, which made surprisingly decent use of all the Black Mercy plants. I'm curious about Mother Mercy's story. How'd the Black Mercies get a sentient version of themselves? Weird.

I bought a bunch of other stuff, but I also picked up the Avengers: Under Siege TPB last week so I've been reading that instead. I have to say, I really, really love this era of the Avengers, from the 200s straight through to 375, and not just because the Black Knight is there for most of it. I gotta pick up more trades from this period as an alternative to the Bendisvengers of today. :up:

Same as before, combining two week's worth of material into one week.

Guardians of the Galaxy #1
You know that thing where everything that could go right, goes right? This is that thing. Any questions?

It's so good to know that what Abnett and Lanning have accomplished with the Nova series isn't just a one-time thing, some fluke of circumstance, and that whatever magic they worked is literally something they could bottle and reproduce. I love all these characters. I could read a series about any single one of them. So the fact that they're all here saves me a bunch of time! I love the fact that Space Marvel is building its own tight continuity, creating its own mythos that isn't just contained within the limited scope of Annihilation, but instead works from Annihilation outwards. Oh, I know that Marvel used to have great big space stories and continuity as well, but let's be honest, there was no reason to care about it before. Isn't it ironic? A few years ago it used to be that my eyes would start rolling to the top of my head whenever someone mentioned that the X-Men would be flying to space to fight aliens or some bull****, but nowadays Marvel space is the most exciting place to be with the most dynamic characters and stories.

It's so awesome that Nova, Star-Lord, and Quasar are almost being set up here as some sort of...space Trinity for Marvel, kind of like DC's. Spiritual figureheads of this mythos if not literal leaders. The ones at the forefront who make the calls and get the ball rolling. Even their powersets have some vague superficial resemblance to DC's three; that talk on the balcony felt so thematically familiar to any number of times that DC's big three sat around and planned **** out, it can't be entirely unintentional.

(10 out of 10)

Meanwhile, back at the ranch...
Green Lantern Corps #24
Gah, SO AWESOME. The one book that I look forward to most each month. Awesome characters doing awesome things. Same thing here; I never would have cared a whit about whatever went on in DC space a few years back. And then this book came along, with its awesome characters doing awesome things, and that was even before Kyle came along, and Tomasi, and things couldn't be going better.

Soranik has fast become one of my favorite characters. She's Super Doctor! And meanwhile, Guy and Kyle diving into the Mercy in a badass rescue? Untold amounts of badass.

I do have to laugh at Mongul's little history presentation, though. Okay first of all, loved Kyle's movie projection and stage construct. But then, I love how we went through an entire splash page full of super-detailed text and dramatic prose elucidating every minor note about Mongul's life and history...and then, in the first next page, it goes "Aaaand by the way that's someone else. Our Mongul is a different one."

Meanwhile, the Guardians? Still rutting idiots. Oh yes, let's put the Sinestro rings in the exact same prison where we're keeping the Sinestro Corps inmates. Surely nothing bad will come of this.

(9.1 out of 10)

Nova #13
I'm pretty much all out of complimentary ramblings. This is awesome. Indulge in the awesome. Nova is awesome. The writing is awesome. Heroism in the face of Galactus is so awesome. Plus awesome art. That page counting down to the final hours of the planet while Nova does hero stuff? So awesome.

(9.3 out of 10)

Booster Gold #9
As I said last month, I think I'd feel a lot better about this issue if we had just skipped the last one and came straight here. The last issue felt like a waste of time, even bigger in retrospect. This is where the good stuff is...and though it's quite good, it's not quite good enough to justify that last one.

(7.4 out of 10)

Wonder Woman #20
So wait it's...this guy? Hnn. I believe I'll just keep on thinking of him as Loki:oldrazz:.

Interesting issue. Wonderful characterizations in midst of a storyline that will likely leave most going "Wha...huh?" but I'm cautiously eager for more. I liked the scene with the wolves more than I thought I would. I'm not too sure about our surprise guest, though. WW's spent too much darn time recently clashing with alpha males like Heracles, and it seems like she's only going to do more of it in the upcoming Olympian story...and here we're doing it in this story anyway? I dunno, I feel tired of it already and it hasn't technically even happened so much yet.

Lopresti comes on as the new artist of the series, and he's pretty good. I don't like how small he draws her eagle crest, but I do like his shape for it.

Meanwhile thank you Simone for referencing the fact that Diana has had a human job before, that she's worked in a fast food joint of all places, just to show everyone that I didn't just imagine those issues and am not actually insane when I keep telling people this. Great inclusion. Oh but btw...
I swear to Buffy if I have to read another text box about the pounding of blood raining on war-drenched hearts or something, I'm gonna...write an angry post about it.
So here's my angry post: GRRR! Why must we hear about stupid bloody war-drenchy battles all the damn time??

Okay I'm done.

(7.8 out of 10)

Buffy the Vampire Slayer #14
Oh meh. It actually doesn't bother me as much as I think it should, it just feels so very...Winick. Both in the fact that it's using death or the hint of death as a story, and in the fact that it's so overplaying your own hand. Whedon feeling like Winick? Bad puppy no biscuit. Well I guess it's technically Goddard feeling like Winick, but still.

It's further disturbing because the idea of using all these new Slayers you have to up your narrative body count kind of understates the whole thematic purpose behind Slayers in the first place; the fact that they are created to not be the cliche stock women often portrayed in fiction who exist for the sole purpose of dying at the hands of your threats.

But then I may be overthinking it, as is my wont.

The rest of the issue was of course fine. Great, even. Dawnzilla! And who knows; Renee might live yet.

Probably not, though.

(6.9 out of 10)

Angel: After the Fall #8
Oh, Kate is so very dead. I give her two issues. Maybe three.

(8 out of 10)

Serenity: Better Days #1, 2 and 3
First issue? Awesome. Second issue, hilarious. Third issue...rushed. You basically got what was going on, and at the end of the issue you're like "Oh, I see," but the interim just felt like a Greatest Hits of Firefly-ish moments instead of, y'know, an actual story. And while I applaud Will Conrad in general for his amazing art, the characters do progressively look less and less like the characters as we're going along. Worth it of course for fans of the 'Verse, for some great character moments and dialogue, but I probably wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

(8.1 out of 10 for issue 1)
(8.9 out of 10 for issue 2)
(6.2 out of 10 for issue 3)
(7.6 out of 10 overall)

Guardians of the Galaxy #1
It's so awesome that Nova, Star-Lord, and Quasar are almost being set up here as some sort of...space Trinity for Marvel, kind of like DC's. Spiritual figureheads of this mythos if not literal leaders. The ones at the forefront who make the calls and get the ball rolling. Even their powersets have some vague superficial resemblance to DC's three; that talk on the balcony felt so thematically familiar to any number of times that DC's big three sat around and planned **** out, it can't be entirely unintentional.
That's an interesting observation. If you want to talk literal leaders of the cosmic set, you could just substitute Adam Warlock for Quasar. DnA have described him as the Merlin to Star-Lord's King Arthur, so he's got the spiritual leadership angle down. Nova's the figurehead, an inspiration to all due to his pedigree and his effort to protect the entire universe all by himself; meanwhile, Star-Lord provides the drive and field leadership for the proactive front while Warlock supplies the intel that they build the actual missions on, since he knows all about these rifts.

Warlock at the moment seems a bit Xavier-ish as far as the team dynamic goes. Like he knows he has to go out there and do the job himself if he ever wants anything done, but what he'd really like to do is just tell other people how to do it. Plus he's a relative latecomer as far as the recent Sparvel...okay, I'm never going to call it that again...as far as the recent Marvel space stuff has gone. I wouldn't call him a leading man yet, whereas someone like Phyla has clearly been set up to protagonize, which is now a word, if she needed to. Richard, Peter, and Phyla feel like war heroes who have loved and lost and share the sort of bond that only comes with being a war hero who's loved and lost. Warlock feels like...something not that.

Yeah, that term is not very good. "Sparvel" makes me think of all the Marvel characters dropping their **** and fighting each other in the streets.

Huh, I guess it is appropriate after all. :o

As for Quasar, I'm probably just still trying to marginalize her as much as I possibly can in my mind. God, she sucked in Conquest and her mini. Although, come to think of it, she was remarkably unannoying in this issue. Not up to the standard of her introduction in Captain Marvel, but I could see the faintest glimmers of hope for that badass, confident Phy again. If she could learn to make more than a sword and random energy blasts with her bands, we'd be all set.

I remember her doing it a bit in her own A:C mini. And then it went away again. :o

Oh, before I forget:

Titans #2
Oh god what the hell is this bull****.

It's not completely bad, it's just bad. I mean I almost believe Winick is trying to pull some sort of Miller move here a la All-Star Batman and that this was just intentionally meant to be this way.

(3.9 out of 10)

Titans as Friends. He described it that way. Honestly, I don't know what more people need to realize that it's going to suck as long as he's writing it. :o

Green Arrow/Black Canary this week wasn't bad. I still don't believe that the direction is going anywhere that remotely justifies where it's been, but it felt like a normal comic book.

Titans was just...I don't even know where to begin, though this seems as good a place as any.

Thunderbolts 120

This issue really pulled a lot together for me. I had been worried that Ellis wouldn't pull Norman off right but this payoff was definately worth it. Since his first issue when norman had bullseye in a cold sweat of fear I loved the characterization but became afraid he was going to get played as a chump by moonstone or something. It turns out Ellis was just saving him as the engine of destruction for this storyline. Norman's rants I've always been a fan of, but this one is just epic. Even his mention of sins past made me laugh rather than groan which is a damn hard hat trick to pull on me. The fact that the Thunderbolts vs. Spider-Man fight isn't going to be in this book makes me almost weep.

I've got a theory as to what the telepaths are doing. They're regressing the personalities of the people. Swordsman is the prime example. He went from seeking redemption, to nazi, and now to adolescent. Just my theory though, but if it's true it really explains the regression in the characters that people have been complaining about.

Swordsman's asskicking in this is just biblical in level. Venom is venom. Chen gets a funny line, then a guard gets a better one (it definately feeds into my regression theory). Moonstone is at her most ineffectual (I wonder if she had some childhood trama that made her turn from a wuss to what she is?). Songbird seems fairly normal suprisingly.

The only thing I don't like is it seems like they're going to have Penanceball save the day. Groan. I do like the new "team scourge" though, a pretty good nod to anyone that's been paying attention. It's just gonna be a shame when Norman finds out and crucifies them for it. Literally.

Last issue was alright, kinda hit and miss. This one was firing on all cylinders. Best villian centric comic I've read in a long long time.

Oh ****, I know what Raven's wearing now! She apparently stole Milla Jovovich's outfit from The Fifth Element.

fifthelement.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"