BvS All Things Batman v Superman: An Open Discussion - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Part 234

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it isn't nostalgia, plus I never grew up on that Superman. I'm just talking visually and the acting as Superman. The tone and story isn't quite my cup of tea, though I respect what it did for genre. Objectively Reeve is tough to top though, especially since his Superman was so pivotal it in fact affected the comics even.

Reeve will always be sheltered by nostalgia. But even if he weren't, with the way Cavill does his thing, he's doomed to not standing out.

JJ is wishful thinking for GL.

I think Joseph Kosinsk could do a bang up job. I thought Tron Legacy was pretty sweet and Oblivion had a signature aesthetic to it. With a good team, I think he fits.

I won't refute the fact Reeve was great. He was. He was the absolute Superman, but I think Cavill can surpass it. Im 23 years old, i grew up watching the 90s STAS and the Reeve movies. And i have plenty of respect for the Reeves superman. But i wont place him on a pedestal so high that i won't allow anyone surpass him.

Bootleg spanish tv spot has Batman using grappling gun and a shot of Lois in Superman arms.

jk

0ClE5cM.gif

I won't refute the fact Reeve was great. He was. He was the absolute Superman, but I think Cavill can surpass it. Im 23 years old, i grew up watching the 90s STAS and the Reeve movies. And i have plenty of respect for the Reeves superman. But i wont place him on a pedestal so high that i won't allow anyone surpass him.
It's not that he's on a pedestal its that Cavill hasn't shown that he has the chops to beat Reeve. We got a lot of Cavill in MOS, he was great but based on that, he can't top Reeve. No way

It's not nostalgia and I'm not selling Cavill short. Cavill is the best we could hope for in the modern day, but I don't think he'll beat Reeve from what we have seen

DC has this bad habit of taking something ageless and inadvertently dating it. The DC logo went from abstract bullet to a symbolic swoosh... to the turn of a page... as in, the an ancient tangible pulp of dead trees product... right as they were beginning an all digital initiative- as in content change with swiping, scrolls, and clicks... page-turns the thing of the past... like using a floppy disk to represent "Save Document."

I like DC Films a many times more than DC Extended Universe which was terrible. It had so many problems. It sounded like a Star Wars universe that Star Wars dumped. It sounded like a male enhancement product. It was ambiguous, confusing, and not clearly tied to movies while excluding TV. The acronym is DCEU, which is an anagram for "duce" as in "to drop a" and pronouncing it aloud you're literally saying "DC... Ewww!" everytime you say it... "ewww" being an expression of disgust, dislike, or disdain.

DC Films has two problems: 1) "DC... FU!" Good for Suicide Squad but not exactly four-quadrant family friendly for the Justice League. 2) FILM... fine for now, MoS, BvS, SS, & WW are all shot on film and Snyder would probably sooner quit then shoot Justice League digital... but tying your content to a medium again? It's making the logo a paper page-turn all over again in the digital age.

People love the new DC logo though, so I hope they stick with DC Films. It doesn't mean they have to shoot everything on film, just like the comics have all gone day-and-date-digital regardless. Not saying I want them to go digital like Guardians of the Galaxy 2 is, but if the story and the director want it, I don't think they should be bound by branding.

tGsSYNy.gif

It's not that he's on a pedestal its that Cavill hasn't shown that he has the chops to beat Reeve. We got a lot of Cavill in MOS, he was great but based on that, he can't top Reeve. No way

It's not nostalgia and I'm not selling Cavill short. Cavill is the best we could hope for in the modern day, but I don't think he'll beat Reeve from what we have seen

Eh i dont agree. Reeve in terms of acting did fine for the time. But his acting wasn't so ground breaking that cavill couldn't surpass it.

Eh i dont agree. Reeve in terms of acting did fine for the time. But his acting wasn't so ground breaking that cavill couldn't surpass it.

To each his own. Reeve is one of the best comic book performances ever alongside Jackmans Wolverine, RDJs IM, and Ledgers Joker

I'm hoping Cavill can top Reeve, I am rooting for him of course. I don't think it can happen though. Cavill doesn't have that natural warmth that Reeve did.

We saw a lot of Cavill in MOS already. He was fantastic, I truly believe he's the best we could've gotten in the modern day. But based on MOS, he's no Reeve.

I guess nostalgia could cloud my opinion, but Reeve's performance is so magical and perfect to me. My ideal Superman is Reeve's acting and the DCEU's writing

To each his own. Reeve is one of the best comic book performances ever alongside Jackmans Wolverine, RDJs IM, and Ledgers Joker

Indeed. He was great for his time and that stood up for a very long time, over 30 years. But I think we finally have someone who can do better at superman than reeve did.

Indeed. He was great for his time and that stood up for a very long time, over 30 years. But I think we finally have someone who can do better at superman than reeve did.

Really hope I'm proven wrong and that Cavill can surpass Reeve.

I at least think that Affleck will be the best Batman ever.

After finally watching The Town I'm especially looking forward to see Ben Affleck direct himself as Batman. In certain respects I think he's a more talented director. Snyder is great visually, with symbolic and mythic themes, and worldbuilding. Ben seems to be better at straightforwardly telling a story in a gripping way that ratchets up tension, and making you care about characters.

We both agree on batman. I hope he can bring a great deal of intensity, pain, and heroism to this new batman. I think if they tackle a red hood storyline they could bring more gravity and emotion to batman than the nolan movies even did.

Yeah the Batman solo is easily one of my most anticipated DCEU films

After BVS, SS, and WW, my most anticipated DCEU films are

Justice League
Batman
Green Lantern Corps
Cyborg/Titans
Mos sequel

Last edited:
Im hoping they can work in a new gods somewhere in there. Would love for miller to direct it, but if not I'd be fine. And im hoping shazam and JLD are in the dceu as well.

I'm hoping Cavill can top Reeve, I am rooting for him of course. I don't think it can happen though. Cavill doesn't have that natural warmth that Reeve did.

We saw a lot of Cavill in MOS already. He was fantastic, I truly believe he's the best we could've gotten in the modern day. But based on MOS, he's no Reeve.

I guess nostalgia could cloud my opinion, but Reeve's performance is so magical and perfect to me. My ideal Superman is Reeve's acting and the DCEU's writing

As someone who's not clouded by nostalgia, I can honestly say I don't get all the hubbub about Reeve. He played the archetype well and was right for the time but, to me, he was in no way believable as an actual person with real emotions. I think some just associate him so much with the character that Reeve and Superman have become synonymous and anyone who follows in his footsteps will, regardless, be standing in his shadow.

As someone who's not clouded by nostalgia, I can honestly say I don't get all the hubbub about Reeve. He played the archetype well and was right for the time but, to me, he was in no way believable as an actual person with real emotions. I think some just associate him so much with the character that Reeve and Superman have become synonymous and anyone who follows in his footsteps will, regardless, be standing in his shadow.

Basically exactly how i feel about reeve. Lol and mission accomplished on getting this place back on topic.

Im hoping they can work in a new gods somewhere in there. Would love for miller to direct it, but if not I'd be fine. And im hoping shazam and JLD are in the dceu as well.

I think a lot of that rides on the success of the current crop of films; but, with Darkseid on the horizon, the New Gods can't be far behind.

Tom Hardey for Orion, if not him then I'll take Joel Edgerton.

Cavill doesn't have to top Reeve all he has to do is stand on his own and he's done that alread. Also you can't compare the Superman in Man of Steel to the Superman in Superman the Movie either because in Man of Steel he didn't truly become Superman until the end of the film. Man of Steel was about the journey to becoming Superman, Cavill is the perfect Superman for the modern age. People really need to stop comparing Superheroes with past incarnations. They are all of their time.

After finally watching The Town I'm especially looking forward to see Ben Affleck direct himself as Batman. In certain respects I think he's a more talented director. Snyder is great visually, with symbolic and mythic themes, and worldbuilding. Ben seems to be better at straightforwardly telling a story in a gripping way that ratchets up tension, and making you care about characters.

I think you are spot on about Ben`s directing style. His signature style is also realistic and gritty, seventy's era type of movies that few people remember. He himself has admitted being partial to story and characters in his movies but also that he feels like if he could make improvements it would be on the visual side. Which is obviously Snyder`s main advantage as a filmmaker and the reason why I believe BvS will be a great film with Terrio`s involvement also. They all compliment each other perfectly in theory.

However, as much as I would personally love to see Ben direct a solo Batman movie and he himself has expressed some interest on that, I hope he only does that if he manages to successfully combine his involvement in the comic book movies universe with what he has brought to the table with movies like Argo,The Town and Gone Baby Gone. Further prove his chops with something new in order to not be typecast as a filmmaker but also not be stuck in this universe forever which would be detrimental overall for his career and the movie chances of success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"