Am I addicted to...sleeping?

Hurm...

Superhero
Reaction score
I don't usually make my own thread in the SHH Community forum but here it goes...

The past few weeks I have been sleeping like a motherf***er. In fact, today I have slept from 12am to 11:30 am. Took a shower and went to sleep from 12:30 pm until 4 pm and have stayed up since. However, I constantly have the urge to go back to my bed, shut my eyes, and just rest. I am not usually a lazy person and am quite active for the most part, except for the past few weeks- month.

I have read on the internet that it could be due to depression, however I'm not sure if I'm depressed. I feel no urge to talk or hang out with anyone lately and I'm not sure why.

I kinda view sleeping as a way of getting away from it all and usually when I wake up I feel much more happy and excited to do things, except that feeling goes away very quickly. I think that may be the reason as to why i am sleeping so much.

Anyone have this problem? ( I feel like sleeping right now actually)

Maybe your just bored lol Do you find your friends boring? do you have nothing really "going on"?

Too much of anything is bad for you. I'd suggest just setting your alarm clock to an earlier time and repeat that for about a week. After that, see if you can naturally wake up around that alarm clock time. If you still can't, go the doctor and get a sleep study performed to see whats going on.

Maybe your just bored lol Do you find your friends boring? do you have nothing really "going on"?
No and I do have things going on which is why I find it so odd that I sleep like hell.

When I was in college, when I had some time in between classes, I went to the library to sleep it was a couple of times a week whenever I had more than an hour to kill.

I mean once you have a regular job, you'll find that you sleep a lot less.

I remember my friend started sleeping a lot and it turned out to be caused by some odd form of cancer. It was taking a toll on his body and making him tired.

I remember my friend started sleeping a lot and it turned out to be caused by some odd form of cancer. It was taking a toll on his body and making him tired.
:csad: Is your friend okay?

I may go to see a doctor if this habit continues.

96x96_01_Inception_Top.gif

:csad: Is your friend okay?

I may go to see a doctor if this habit continues.

Yeah, took a few years, but he eventually got better and beat the cancer.

I hope I didn't freak you out lol. Going to a doctor may be a good idea though, just in case.

Definitely go to a doctor. Just to make sure it's nothing serious. Sleeping all day and night isn't very normal

I think sleep can be good if you previously have been over-stressing yourself or not sleeping in the past, then you're kind of catching up, or resting and healing etc.

But if it goes on then it might have to do with wanting a change, or not having something that motivates you, or being dissatisfied with an aspect of your life. And, of course, it could be a health issue.

Definitely see a doc if it's got you concerned. But don't try to stay awake if your body wants to sleep. It wants to sleep for a reason, and denying sleep can be just as bad oversleeping. It could be a sign that something's wrong, or just that your rhythm is off, or that your body, for some reason, wants more sleep (maybe you're not sleeping soundly at night, and just don't remember).

The longest I ever slept was 15 hours. I don't remember why I slept so long, but I've noticed it's actually harder for me to get up if I got past 10 hours. As if staying asleep is actually a lot of work that requires more sleep. :p I can get by on 8 fine, but my body seems to prefer around 9 hours.

My friend once slept for 24 straight hours. But he'd been up for the prior 48. He gets by on 4-6 hours a day. He hates it, but even when he tries to sleep longer, he just wakes up. But he's a workout fanatic and in great shape, so that might be all his body needs. Sorta like Batman :batman:

I don't usually make my own thread in the SHH Community forum but here it goes...

The past few weeks I have been sleeping like a motherf***er. In fact, today I have slept from 12am to 11:30 am. Took a shower and went to sleep from 12:30 pm until 4 pm and have stayed up since. However, I constantly have the urge to go back to my bed, shut my eyes, and just rest. I am not usually a lazy person and am quite active for the most part, except for the past few weeks- month.

I have read on the internet that it could be due to depression, however I'm not sure if I'm depressed. I feel no urge to talk or hang out with anyone lately and I'm not sure why.

I kinda view sleeping as a way of getting away from it all and usually when I wake up I feel much more happy and excited to do things, except that feeling goes away very quickly. I think that may be the reason as to why i am sleeping so much.

I did right before I graduated. All of my friends moved off because I graduated in the summer while they graduated in the spring and I only had one class. I would skip that class all the time and would sometimes even skip work just to sleep all day. I really think I was depressed. I got a B in that class and was glad I wasn't fired from work where I now work full time but I don't know what snapped me out of it. I never saw a doctor or got on happy pills but I really do think I was depressed. It maybe lasted 3-4 months? I lived alone too so I think that was part of it. I never really wanted to do anything. I would go to the doc though...could be something serious.

i'm usually lucky if i can get 6 hours of sleep a night. and even then, i can't sleep for more than 3 hours consecutively without waking up. most of the time i sleep so light that it's like i'm not asleep at all. i can hear my thoughts, form cognitive ones, (for instance this morning i was making my daily to-do list), as well as hear what's going on around me.

i can't sleep in a room with a clock that ticks, or a tv on etc. there's many a day where i'm up 20+ hrs straight before i fall asleep. staying up for a day is easy to me, i've done it so many times. i've had insomnia since i was 12. i pretty much know the exact moment in time when it started.

basically i usually stay up as long as i can until i'm so tired or exhausted i just drop into sleep.

i dread going to sleep but once i go to sleep i don't want to wake up

Last edited:
i'm usually lucky if i can get 6 hours of sleep a night. and even then, i can't sleep for more than 3 hours consecutively without waking up. most of the time i sleep so light that it's like i'm not asleep at all. i can hear my thoughts, form cognitive ones, (for instance this morning i was making my daily to-do list), as well as hear what's going on around me.

i can't sleep in a room with a clock that ticks, or a tv on etc. there's many a day where i'm up 20+ hrs straight before i fall asleep. staying up for a day is easy to me, i've done it so many times. i've had insomnia since i was 12. i pretty much know the exact moment in time when it started.

I will destroy anything causing a repetitive noise in my room when trying sleep. :cmad:

I usually have something in the room to create white noise. A fan, or, lately, an air purifier. That helps block out all the random noises that conspire to keep me awake.

white noise sometimes bothers me too

It's hard to make a call on this. Lengthy exercise sessions and a disrupted sleep pattern can sometimes cause this. I would see a doctor to make sure you don't have some kind of sleep apnea. However, it is true that people need different amounts of sleep and this can change as we go through life.

I love sleep too, so you're not alone.

It's not really the sleep I enjoy, it's the process of getting comfortable and then falling asleep.

I would go see a doctor as soon as possible. Personally, I think that it sounds like you are depressed.

Another issue with that much sleep is you are very much oversleeping...which makes you feel tired all of the time. Make yourself get up and go to bed at regular times.

You definitely should consider seeing a doctor. It may be depression but it could be another underlying condition. I was diagnosed with Gilbert's Syndrome which mainly means that I have a higher than normal bilirubin count and my skin can become jaundiced. There is also the possible symptom of extreme fatigue, as well as some other symptoms.

I constantly fight fatigue, I mean constantly. I have been blessed and cursed with the ability to fall asleep in any situation. I can fallen asleep almost instantly at work, on the bus, at a sports game, sitting anywhere...I have even fallen asleep while talking in mid-sentence. The worse is probably driving as I normally have to load up on snacks and drinks for any drive over 30 minutes.

My guess is depression. You don't have to have anti-social tendencies or lack of a desire to be near people in order to be depressed. I was depressed big time for about 2 years, but I didn't isolate myself from friends and stay home all the time, etc. What would happen for me is I would use friends and such to momentarily forget about my problems, though they never went away. Either way, see a doctor. Anti-depression medications do help, and if it isn't depression, then you may discover some other underlying cause which could be potentially worse.

I know what you mean, Hurm. For me, I find once I fall asleep it's hard for me to awake from my slumber until I realize a lot of the day has gone by and I have to get up, and this happens even when I go to sleep relatively early. I'm a very heavy sleeper and fall into deep sleeping every time, and it's worse when I stay awake all night and go to bed in the early AM hours only to awake during the late afternoon and sleep most of the day away and in the process my plans for the day get either quashed, compressed or shelved. It's very frustrating and it often has me feeling lazier and less proactive.

Seeing a doctor and attending a sleep therapy group might be helpful for you, I've considered those options before and think I may seriously go for it one day if my sleep continues to be an everyday obstacle for me.

I know what you mean, Hurm. For me, I find once I fall asleep it's hard for me to awake from my slumber until I realize a lot of the day has gone by and I have to get up, and this happens even when I go to sleep relatively early. I'm a very heavy sleeper and fall into deep sleeping every time, and it's worse when I stay awake all night and go to bed in the early AM hours only to awake during the late afternoon and sleep most of the day away and in the process my plans for the day get either quashed, compressed or shelved. It's very frustrating and it often has me feeling lazier and less proactive.

That was my summer vacations in college right there.

The problem was made worse for me because I do my best work between the hours of 11pm - 4 am. Whatever I'm working on, it's during those hours I'm on fire.

So, even though I'd say to myself I'd sleep in to 9 or 10, 4 or 5am would come out of nowhere, and to get a good night's sleep, I'd have to waste half the day. Then they cycle would start all over again.

Once I started working, I got on a regular schedule. Now I start to pass out around 11 or 12, which really sucks when I do want to stay up late. :p

If I could only find a job that was 9-6 instead of 8-5...

I don't like sleeping. I do it as little as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"