Am I the only one who liked Van Helsing? :(

I ****ing LOVE this movie. I was 12 when it came out and was obsessed with it, so this movie was pretty much tailor made to appeal to me.

Those feelings aside, I still love it. It's a dumb, loud movie about a guy who kills monsters. And it pretty much delivers on it. The plot is dumb, contrived to justify all of these monsters in the same movie, but you cannot fault a man like Sommers with a vision and wills it into existance as much as he can. Part of what makes this movie fun is just the sheer idea of it. It's so bonkers, it's trivial and unfair to dissect the idea of it. Just go with it. And critique the execution after the fact. The bad dialogue, over acting, and a CGI Frankenstein's monster swinging over a chasm is hilarious. It's a bonkers combo of passion and early 00's over CGI. But it's all there because of the quaint, harmless intent of this bonkers vision.

It's no Mummy, but you can tell this is a labor of love for him. No cynicism, no trying to set up a plan of a cinematic universe, he just had this idea and wanted to make it. Kind of like Mummy Returns. Not as good as The Mummy, but goddamn if he doesn't try and push himself.

Whatever you may think of it, Sommers is a man who knew what he wanted and seemed to tell a movie on his own terms. He at least succeeds in creating a roller coaster ride of an experience. It's not a generic movie. Look, it ends with a CGI wolfman fighting Dracula. It's the equivelant of a kid playing with his action figures. There's child like glee to everything and that's great.

I'd recommend Ebert's review of it. He got it.

It's such a shame what happened to Sommers. He instills his movies with more imagination and excitement than what you see in blockbusters today. I wish he was still making them. I wish Kevin Feige would give him a chance. Give him an obscure Marvel character and leave him alone to his vision.
Sommers would have been an interesting choice to helm Morbius.

Or a Werewolf by Night movie. He'd have fun with it.

Yeah it sucks that Sommers stopped directing films after 2009. I think the guy definitely had talent even if some of his films weren't all that great. Deep Rising will always be a personal favorite of mine because I grew up watching it all the time, but I also really enjoyed those first two Mummy movies and his version of The Jungle Book with Jason Scott Lee. I would have loved seeing him bring that same energy to a Marvel film or a DC film.

Kate Beckinsale was a straight up 10 in this film. Lawd.
The whole tone could have leaned a bit more towards the horror element but (I don't know his name) the guy who played Dracula was awful casting. He had no charm or charisma, which Dracula is meant to have.
Yes, Dracula was awful in this movie.

I was 12 when this came out and I was obsessed. I must’ve seen it a hundred times. The story wasn’t anything special and I didn’t like how Hugh Jackman was playing an amnesiac again but I wasn’t too bothered by it because the werewolves and the brides were just so ****ing cool.

As for Sommers’ filmography, this, the Mummy movies and G.I. Joe are the only ones that I’ve seen and not his earlier stuff. I haven’t seen any of them in a while but from my memory, he does have a unique style and directs imaginative action scenes. Even G.I. Joe which everyone hated had some fun stuff in it imo. Unfortunately, he doesn’t seem to be good with story and characters. So I guess it’s a little sad that he’s not directing anymore but he did get plenty of opportunities to improve and well... you know... he didn’t :shrug:.

I think they basically needed to rewrite Van Helsing's backstory and get rid of some of excessive CG.

I think the pygmy vampire hatchlings were also like sort of silly. Like vampire and his brides have thousands of vampire eggs, but they can't "live." So...they need Frankenstein as a battery to "power" the lightning to bring them to life? WTF?

I don't think you need a plot that convoluted to have a movie with Van Helsing, Frankenstein, werewolves, and vampires.

I think if they smoothed out those rough edges, they would've had a tighter, stronger movie. I mean I honestly love first Mummy movie. I like how Stephen Sommers at the time was basically making modern updates of Indiana Jones. Frankly, I like The Mummy and Mummy Returns more than Crystal Skull. I think his Van Helsing concept had a lot of potential, it just was too excessive and bloated.

I did like the idea of the public seeing Van Helsing as a murderer and blaming him for the deaths, and also the idea that not all the monsters being bad or Van Helsing suffering from ending the human lives the monsters used to have. That could've been played up more.

Rather than killing Kate Beckinsale and like going to Heaven with her brother, I would've spared her character and Van Helsing just leaving her behind like D in Vampire Hunter D or The Man With No Name. He's a lone gunslinger who lives a solitary life. He can't settle down or get married. It would've really sold the plight of the character.

Last edited:
I got the idea that they just said "Hey, wouldn't it be cool to have a movie with all the monsters in it?" and didn't worry too much about plot. A shame because it had some good elements in it but it was just so convoluted and overstuffed. It was like three movies all running together and overlapping at the same time.

And Hugh Jackman really rocked that long leather coat. :)

Yes. I waited for the X-Men films to reveal Logan as a resurrected vampire hunter, it never.happened.

Rather than killing Kate Beckinsale and like going to Heaven with her brother, I would've spared her character and Van Helsing just leaving her behind like D in Vampire Hunter D or The Man With No Name. He's a lone gunslinger who lives a solitary life. He can't settle down or get married. It would've really sold the plight of the character.

Kate Beckinsale's character SUCKED. All she did was get her ass kicked, get kidnapped, and get killed. There was so much potential there, but did they ever waste it.

Those Stephen Sommers movies were, what Scorsesse calls, theme park rides.
I also love Mummy Returns.
They‘re really fun rides

Kate Beckinsale and her knockers made this an easy flick to sit through. Still, this is the lamest version of Dracula. His brides were sexy as hell tho. This only made me want a legit live flick version of Vampire Hunter D. Eh.

I enjoyed it a lot.
It was one of those DVD’s that where easy and fun to watch.

May 7 2020 wil mark the 16th. anniversary of the release of Van Helsing.

I really enjoyed this one and watched it a lot on DVD when I was younger. I haven't seen it in forever though... wonder how it would hold up?

Kate Beckinsale's character SUCKED. All she did was get her ass kicked, get kidnapped, and get killed. There was so much potential there, but did they ever waste it.

Yeah but she looked so hot, bro. :o

This movie was awful when it came out, and it’s awful now. It has no redeeming qualities other than maybe David Wenham. I’m glad Sommers stopped directing. Between this and GI Joe, he should be tried in The Hague for committing crimes against humanity.

Yeah, his last directing gig was a DTV 2013 film Odd Thomas. Usually when you’re in movie jail, you direct tv episodes of some shows, but poor Sommers doesn’t even have that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"