Comics Amazing Spider-Man #1 (ugh) By Ryan Ottley! and Nic Spencer

I’m not feeling this story and I’m pretty lost as to what’s going on. Lol. Might not have been a good jumping on point for me. Going to stick it out thought and just wait til I catch up and it starts making sense lol. Seems like Spider-Man has almost been a supporting character in these issues.
You should check out the Thieves Guild story arc (issues 8-10) and 16.HU if you want to see what a great job Nick Spencer does with Felicia after all the Queenpin nonsense. Honestly, I'd recommend his whole Amazing run... also Superior Foes of Spider-Man because it needs more love.

You should check out the Thieves Guild story arc (issues 8-10) and 16.HU if you want to see what a great job Nick Spencer does with Felicia after all the Queenpin nonsense. Honestly, I'd recommend his whole Amazing run... also Superior Foes of Spider-Man because it needs more love.

He does seem to write a good Black cat. I enjoyed 16 HU. It was one of the better versions of the character I’ve read.

I’m not feeling this story and I’m pretty lost as to what’s going on. Lol. Might not have been a good jumping on point for me. Going to stick it out thought and just wait til I catch up and it starts making sense lol. Seems like Spider-Man has almost been a supporting character in these issues.

What issue did you start with? If you started with the Hunted arc/story, um, I'd suggest going back and starting with issue #1 of Spencer's run. Not only is it really good but it sets the tone for the Hunted storyline, not to mention there's some pick up beats that help plot the seeds for that story.

I'm pumped. His work on Batman & Robin and Superman was excellent! It'll be great to see him and Ottley tag-teaming this book.

I'm not overly familiar with DC. I barely read it. However, since this announcement I've been looking at as many examples of his art as I can and I'm a fan. I really dig his style and think it will compliment Ottley well. I really like the way he draws villains.

As a big time Felicia fan myself...all of this.

With two (possible) issues left, this story has really been bad so far.

Maybe Spencer just can't really do long form stories?

His single issues have been pretty good, but this multi issue story has not been.

I've got to agree. I think there was/is too much filler content in this Hunted story. If it was only 5 issues, I think it would've been much better.

Imo Spencer needs a solid payoff in these last 2 issues to kind of redeem this story.

I recently re-read all of Hunted. At first, I would agree with you all, but I honestly think it reads better in one sitting (with the exception of the constant recapping in the story). We'll see if Spencer can stick the landing, but I believe he can pull it all off. If nothing else the Black Cat and Gibbon .HU issues are among his best work. The Lizard one was great too.

I recently re-read all of Hunted. At first, I would agree with you all, but I honestly think it reads better in one sitting (with the exception of the constant recapping in the story). We'll see if Spencer can stick the landing, but I believe he can pull it all off. If nothing else the Black Cat and Gibbon .HU issues are among his best work. The Lizard one was great too.

You make a good point. Though I think I'll wait until the story is completed before I go back and reread the whole arc to see if that changes my overall opinion.

I'm not bashing the Hunted story by any means. It just feels like there's too much filler. But I'll see how that might change when I go back over it later.

I agree though that the HU issues, aside from the Vulture one, have been excellent. The only thing I didn't like about the Lizard story was the horrendous art.

Anyone else feel that the Vulture issue is out of order?
The other .HU issues seemed to go in roughly the right spot...

Anyone else feel that the Vulture issue is out of order?
The other .HU issues seemed to go in roughly the right spot...

I didn't notice anything to suggest it might be out of order. What specifically do you think makes it that way?

You make a good point. Though I think I'll wait until the story is completed before I go back and reread the whole arc to see if that changes my overall opinion.

I'm not bashing the Hunted story by any means. It just feels like there's too much filler. But I'll see how that might change when I go back over it later.

I agree though that the HU issues, aside from the Vulture one, have been excellent. The only thing I didn't like about the Lizard story was the horrendous art.

Yeah, the Vulture one didn't quite measure up to the other .HU issues but I love how Nick Spencer writes Vulture throughout this story. Cunning, manipulative old bird that is willing to do whatever it takes to make it out. Also, issue 21 was incredible and made me look at previous issues in this story in a whole new light especially regarding a certain character....

Yeah, the Vulture one didn't quite measure up to the other .HU issues but I love how Nick Spencer writes Vulture throughout this story. Cunning, manipulative old bird that is willing to do whatever it takes to make it out. Also, issue 21 was incredible and made me look at previous issues in this story in a whole new light especially regarding a certain character....

Nice to hear that about issue 21. I've got my copy sitting here at work and I hope to read it sometime this evening.

UWH -- it's comforting to know that while I wasn't crazy either about the past two issues for HUNTED (NOT including the .HU issues), someone who really enjoys Spencer's writing and style -- you -- wasn't the biggest fan either. Not to say they were bad issues by any means -- just not on the level as he's delivered prior.

I'm on the same boat as you -- I think these last two issues REALLY have to drive it home. The same way FNSM did with the UNDER YORK arc.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts!

Read issue 21 last night...

Finally. All the interweaving plot threads have come to a head. I'm back into this and excited to see how this ends. Something happens here that I honestly wasn't expecting and it's pretty tense...I'm not really sure what's next. Without spoiling anything it seems like Kraven wants Peter to embrace the Spider side of him and lose what makes him human. He wants to break Peter by having him break his code.

Really dug how Spencer is handling the characters especially one in particular that I can't say without spoiling the issue. And Sandoval's art while not the best is definitely a step up from Ramos imo. Looking forward to wrapping up this story and getting Ottley back for the final issue which imo should be pretty damn good.

Ok so I went back and picked up an issue or two from the start of the arc that I couldn’t find, sat down and read the entire arc from start to finish.

I must say like it’s been mentioned in this thread already, it reads much better in one sitting. Finally everything makes sense and I got to say I’m really liking this story. Black cat is really being handled great. As a long time fan of the character I’m absolutely loving what they are doing with her.

Can’t wait to see how this one wraps up.

What’s holding this title back is the artwork. Desperately need a new artist to
Jump on board.

What’s holding this title back is the artwork. Desperately need a new artist to
Jump on board.

Do you like Ottley?

He's coming back with the next issue and will be the main artist on the series like before. Ottley was gone for a bit for this Hunted arc, a mistake imo, but prior to that he started this new volume with Spencer.

Also, Marvel just picked up Gleason from DC. He'll be the rotating artist with Ottley.

Didnt they say there was an unsolicited. HU?
They wanted to keep it a surprise?
Or did we already get it?

Do you like Ottley?

He's coming back with the next issue and will be the main artist on the series like before. Ottley was gone for a bit for this Hunted arc, a mistake imo, but prior to that he started this new volume with Spencer.

Also, Marvel just picked up Gleason from DC. He'll be the rotating artist with Ottley.

I just started on this title during the hunted arc so I missed out on anything Ottley did beforehand. I’ve seen some panels here and there but haven’t read a full issue of his. I like what I’ve seen though .... That being said everything is a step up from Ramos.

However I will say.... Ramos has improved quite a bit from his first Spider-Man days back on spectacular years back. His art style as a whole just isn’t for me though and it’s holding this story back a bit...

I just started on this title during the hunted arc so I missed out on anything Ottley did beforehand. I’ve seen some panels here and there but haven’t read a full issue of his. I like what I’ve seen though .... That being said everything is a step up from Ramos.

However I will say.... Ramos has improved quite a bit from his first Spider-Man days back on spectacular years back. His art style as a whole just isn’t for me though and it’s holding this story back a bit...

You'll get no argument from me about Ramos. Even with an improvement, he's still garbage. But yeah, you really need to pick up Spencer's run from the beginning. You'll like it.

So, anyone picking up the "Hunted" conclusion today? I have to say, I read the spoilers, and it
is nice to see they put the original Kraven back into the ground. I have felt that his resurrection was just a needless kick to the groin of Spider-Man comics. I mean, Kraven's Last Hunt is a masterpiece, and undoing it is such a cop-out! It's like undoing the death of the original Green Goblin in ASM 122, or the death of Mysterio in Daredevil 7...why do it?! They were perfect ending for those villains, and I have read not ONE story involving any of those characters that justifies any of their resurrections.

If Spencer's run of Amazing is to put things "as they were", then the man is off to a solid start! He's addressed the problem with "returning villains", he's put Peter and MJ back together, he's fixed the character of Black Cat, and he's made the book fun again. Now, I am still not a fan of the "Hunted" journey, but I will say that I like where it puts us. I mean, we still have a "Hunter", but Kravinoff himself is back in the ground where he put himself. Here here, Mr. Spencer! Keep 'em coming!

Hey Shin, I'm reading it tonight hopefully. Just depends on how busy work is or isn't. For some reason I was under the impression Ottley was drawing it so now I'm upset to find out it's Ramos. Oh well. I'm anxious to read it...I want to see Spencer succeed.

I felt it ended well. I’ve never been a Kraven fan at all so having a strong with him is never going to get me excited but this was a good read. It works much better if it’s read at once. Just seems to flow better.

The highlight of this story was actually Black Cat to me. I absolutely love what they’re doing with the character. It’s about time that a writer gets a good grasp on her.

It’s been a long time since I’ve enjoyed ASM. Hopefully spencer can keep this up.

In an interview Spencer said that MJ will play a huge role in issue 25 and pretty much be the theme of the issue. Apparently the issue is going to focus heavily on the Peter/MJ relationship and what they mean to each other and their future. Needless to say, I’m counting the days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"