Comics Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man (New Series 2019)

This book is starting to get its groove back. Hoping this title continues to focus on more character driven smaller stories because it’s nailing them. Love the teamwork aspect between Spider-Man and the police. Always loved the vigilante having a friend in the police angle so I’m glad they’re using that here.

And I’m always down for a
Spiderman FF team up. Um quick
Question cause I’ve been gone for a while but how did they know his identity? Maybe I’m
Just having a brain freeze moment

He revealed his ID in Spider-Man/Human Torch mini, but it was forgotten after OMD. Then, they did a story where Johnny realizes he used to know his ID, so he sets Peter's mask on fire, only for the Invisible Woman to turn Peter invisible. He later re-reveals his identity (proven he's learned nothing from the whole incident), after re-revealing it to all of the Avengers again. So, basically everyone who knew before the unmasking knows again, plus JJJ.

He revealed his ID in Spider-Man/Human Torch mini, but it was forgotten after OMD. Then, they did a story where Johnny realizes he used to know his ID, so he sets Peter's mask on fire, only for the Invisible Woman to turn Peter invisible. He later re-reveals his identity (proven he's learned nothing from the whole incident), after re-revealing it to all of the Avengers again. So, basically everyone who knew before the unmasking knows again, plus JJJ.

That fact that you were able to explain all of that and have it make any semblance of sense is going to go down as one of the most amazing moments in mankind’s history.....

FNSM #10
Art is great all around from what I remember. Gotta love the ending with
Stark and his contribution to the story as a whole. Seeing his lawyers come through as well as helping out Randy at the end was great and fits the Neighborhood title perfectly. Cool that they drew his Mark 85 armor from ENDGAME, too.

FNSM #11
Aw man. This is how you craft a story putting Peter at the backseat. Totally unexpected, too, but I guess I should've known by the cover. Awesome to see MJ take charge. It was badass w/o being overtly badass. Again, fitting the FN theme...

FNSM #12
Solid issue -- nothing crazy. Was cool to see Spidey take a covert approach. I blasted through all these so I can't write in-depth lol but yes,
FF
tease at the end was nice.

FNSM #13
Another solid issue. It seems with this series that they really like to end and resolve their stories in a "nice bow tie" way and I'm for it -- I think it fits the title's style well. It was just fun seeing F4's banter not even with Spidey, but amongst themselves. I will say it was a bit of a rush for the F4 to convince
Spidey to join them in the rebellion, etc, since it seemed to go against what he was there for. But also, maybe a bit off-character for Spidey since I would think he would be for the cause if it was for the greater good, and clearly in this case, it was. (Taking down Under York to help the oppressed once and for all.)
Not a huge deal but again, maybe it's choices like having to undermine a more dramatic beat to adhere to the series' DNA.

FNSM #13
Another solid issue. It seems with this series that they really like to end and resolve their stories in a "nice bow tie" way and I'm for it -- I think it fits the title's style well. It was just fun seeing F4's banter not even with Spidey, but amongst themselves. I will say it was a bit of a rush for the F4 to convince
Spidey to join them in the rebellion, etc, since it seemed to go against what he was there for. But also, maybe a bit off-character for Spidey since I would think he would be for the cause if it was for the greater good, and clearly in this case, it was. (Taking down Under York to help the oppressed once and for all.)
Not a huge deal but again, maybe it's choices like having to undermine a more dramatic beat to adhere to the series' DNA.

Yeah I finally got around to reading 13. Very cool to have the F4 as 'guests' for this arc.

And unless I'm mistaken, I think issue 14 is gonna be the final issue for this title. The last trade only goes to 14 and there's been no solicit for a 15.

If that's true, I'm a little upset about it. This title has been pretty good. I feel like Tom Taylor did a great job with the writing duties and the art has been consistently good too.

Not surprised if it is the last issue cause it did feel
Like the title was kind of lost in the shuffle at times. Kind of sucks because FNSM was a nice change of pace from everything else in the Spider verse. Good character driven stories and had that little engine that could feel to it .

Not surprised if it is the last issue cause it did feel
Like the title was kind of lost in the shuffle at times. Kind of sucks because FNSM was a nice change of pace from everything else in the Spider verse. Good character driven stories and had that little engine that could feel to it .

Also, it looks like issue 14 got postponed until December 11th. Marvel is dropping the ball with all these delays! Maybe, instead of doing up 25 variant covers per issue, they should let 2 artists do 2 11 page stories per issue so we can get books monthly again. Remember ASM used to contain 2 stories a month, right? Oh...they were both drawn by Ditko. EVERY month. With like, 180 panels per issue. With no substitutions.

So, JJ's Spider-Boy is running behind (no loss), and FNSM is running behind, too (which is a good book)? So...Amazing has a rotating stable of at least 4 artists (Ottley and Gleason being the only good ones) and comes out 2 or 3 times a month? Why not just put Gleason on FNSM, Ottley on Amazing, JJ's Spider-man in the trash, and give us an adjectiveless Spider-Man with Cates and Stegman working on it?

Also, it looks like issue 14 got postponed until December 11th. Marvel is dropping the ball with all these delays! Maybe, instead of doing up 25 variant covers per issue, they should let 2 artists do 2 11 page stories per issue so we can get books monthly again. Remember ASM used to contain 2 stories a month, right? Oh...they were both drawn by Ditko. EVERY month. With like, 180 panels per issue. With no substitutions.

So, JJ's Spider-Boy is running behind (no loss), and FNSM is running behind, too (which is a good book)? So...Amazing has a rotating stable of at least 4 artists (Ottley and Gleason being the only good ones) and comes out 2 or 3 times a month? Why not just put Gleason on FNSM, Ottley on Amazing, JJ's Spider-man in the trash, and give us an adjectiveless Spider-Man with Cates and Stegman working on it?

Yeah, why is that exactly? Why do they have rotating artists on titles like ASM and then also have a couple of fill in artists as well?

Is it too much work nowadays to draw 2 issues a month? Avoiding things like burn out?

Yeah, why is that exactly? Why do they have rotating artists on titles like ASM and then also have a couple of fill in artists as well?

Is it too much work nowadays to draw 2 issues a month? Avoiding things like burn out?

As an artist, I think the book should be monthly. Once. A. Month. Venom has done that, and they get Ryan Stegman, who outdraws the entire roster of the Spider-Man books, with the exception of maybe Ottley. I would rather have a month with 1 issue or artistic perfection that to get an issue or inconsequential story drawn by Ottley, and then a Sinister Syndicate story with big action and story beats drawn by a middle school student whose dad must know someone at Marvel.

Not everyone is Mark Bagley, who was churning out 2 or 3 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man a month without a dip in quality for YEARS. That man isn't my favorite artist in Spidey history, but his work ethic and consistent quality are truly amazing. I met him at a con several years back, and I just went and introduced myself to him, gave him one of my sketch cards, and told him thanks for being an inspiration. He was super friendly and nice...on top of being talented and drawing a slew of monthly books, AND being at a 2 day comic convention.

Now that I think about it, maybe Mark Bagley clones himself...

As an artist, I think the book should be monthly. Once. A. Month. Venom has done that, and they get Ryan Stegman, who outdraws the entire roster of the Spider-Man books, with the exception of maybe Ottley. I would rather have a month with 1 issue or artistic perfection that to get an issue or inconsequential story drawn by Ottley, and then a Sinister Syndicate story with big action and story beats drawn by a middle school student whose dad must know someone at Marvel.

Not everyone is Mark Bagley, who was churning out 2 or 3 issues of Ultimate Spider-Man a month without a dip in quality for YEARS. That man isn't my favorite artist in Spidey history, but his work ethic and consistent quality are truly amazing. I met him at a con several years back, and I just went and introduced myself to him, gave him one of my sketch cards, and told him thanks for being an inspiration. He was super friendly and nice...on top of being talented and drawing a slew of monthly books, AND being at a 2 day comic convention.

Now that I think about it, maybe Mark Bagley clones himself...

Oh yeah Bagley is a robot for sure. 110ish issues of USM without a break and consistent quality. He's something alright.

I don't mind that ASM is twice a month. Spencer seems more than capable to handle the workload, unlike some other writers **cough cough**

But I don't see why they can't just use Ottley and Gleason. Have them rotate each month. I love the Hunted story, even with the lulls in the middle of it but it really suffers because Ramos drew it.

Oh yeah Bagley is a robot for sure. 110ish issues of USM without a break and consistent quality. He's something alright.

I don't mind that ASM is twice a month. Spencer seems more than capable to handle the workload, unlike some other writers **cough cough**

But I don't see why they can't just use Ottley and Gleason. Have them rotate each month. I love the Hunted story, even with the lulls in the middle of it but it really suffers because Ramos drew it.
Ramos and that guy from the Syndicate stories are DEFINITELY the weak links in the chain. I just don't get it! So many artists would give half of their reproductive organs to draw Spidey for a month, and those guys get to turn varying levels of quality....it makes no sense. Mainly because I'm one of those artists I mentioned...

Ramos and that guy from the Syndicate stories are DEFINITELY the weak links in the chain. I just don't get it! So many artists would give half of their reproductive organs to draw Spidey for a month, and those guys get to turn varying levels of quality....it makes no sense. Mainly because I'm one of those artists I mentioned...

Oh yes, lol, your dream to become a Marvel artist has been well documented. I hope you get it someday, even if it's just a one shot.

Oh yes, lol, your dream to become a Marvel artist has been well documented. I hope you get it someday, even if it's just a one shot.
Thanks. Yeah, had a con this weekend and I always hear those people say something like, "You should work for Marvel! You Spidey stuff is awesome!"
My response is always the same, "Thanks! I appreciate it! Call and tell them that!"

Thanks. Yeah, had a con this weekend and I always hear those people say something like, "You should work for Marvel! You Spidey stuff is awesome!"
My response is always the same, "Thanks! I appreciate it! Call and tell them that!"

Do you have a site or any place to check out some of your stuff? I’m assuming you drew you avatar. If so it’s sick. Would love to see any other stuff you have if possible...

It says a lot about the industry when certain people aren’t drawing for them, yet Ramos is still around covering Spider-Man panels with absolute filth.

Yeah I finally got around to reading 13. Very cool to have the F4 as 'guests' for this arc.

And unless I'm mistaken, I think issue 14 is gonna be the final issue for this title. The last trade only goes to 14 and there's been no solicit for a 15.

If that's true, I'm a little upset about it. This title has been pretty good. I feel like Tom Taylor did a great job with the writing duties and the art has been consistently good too.
Aw man, really?! See, I never look at solicits so I'm never in the know with this kind of stuff but hopefully it's a TSSM #310 situation where it's disconnected from what's come before it and ends on its own note.

I agree! The title was consistent on all aspects.

Do you have a site or any place to check out some of your stuff? I’m assuming you drew you avatar. If so it’s sick. Would love to see any other stuff you have if possible...

It says a lot about the industry when certain people aren’t drawing for them, yet Ramos is still around covering Spider-Man panels with absolute filth.

I appreciate Ramos, but I don't care for his stuff. His backgrounds and stuff are on point, but his character work is the stuff of my nightmares.

As for my stuff, I have a new-ish thread in the fanart forum, and I have a link in my signature to my Instagram page, where I post everything. Usually, you can catch the stuff as it progresses. Lots of folk like seeing that.

And yes, I pencilled, inked, and colored that Avatar pic.

Last edited:
I finally read issue 12 and 13...um...good but sad.

I like how they wrap up nicely, but it is pretty obviously pointing towards this series ending with a "final issue". That sucks. Honestly, the ending felt VERY rushed, and VERY easy. I mean, the FF just slapped the mess out of them. No drama, which was fine...but it felt like there was an action beat missing...Just me?

That being said, I'll miss this series when it's gone. Really fun stuff. The MJ issue and the hospital issue will stand the test, too. They were awesome!!

I finally read issue 12 and 13...um...good but sad.

I like how they wrap up nicely, but it is pretty obviously pointing towards this series ending with a "final issue". That sucks. Honestly, the ending felt VERY rushed, and VERY easy. I mean, the FF just slapped the mess out of them. No drama, which was fine...but it felt like there was an action beat missing...Just me?

That being said, I'll miss this series when it's gone. Really fun stuff. The MJ issue and the hospital issue will stand the test, too. They were awesome!!

Completely agree on those two issues. I really wish there was more buzz about this series so more people couple of picked up those two stand alone issues. They will easily stand the test of time. It’s a true example of the fact that you don’t need massive explosions and huge battles as a crutch to make classic stories.

Completely agree on those two issues. I really wish there was more buzz about this series so more people couple of picked up those two stand alone issues. They will easily stand the test of time. It’s a true example of the fact that you don’t need massive explosions and huge battles as a crutch to make classic stories.

Well, I know it's the cynic in me, but had those two issues been offered with 20 variant covers and one recolored panel from one of Todd McFarlane's old issues, then they would have been read by everyone. Sadly, it didn't have a "#1" or a "NOTHING WILL EVER BE THE SAME" tagline on the cover, so it was largely missed. The fact that Marvel allowed Zdarsky and Bagley to even make a mini like "Spider-Man: Life Story" is amazing, considering how Spidey rarely gets a story like that.

On the plus side, the Spidey books are (as a whole) better than they've been on a decade or more, so that's a plus. Also, Daredevil and Venom are AMAZING.

Issue 14 and the confirmed final issue of this title.

For the most part this book has been solid. I think it could have been better but as a companion piece to ASM, it was good.

The final issue was a nice send off. Another reminder of why we love this character in the first place.

I hope Tom Taylor continues to write Spidey at some point in the future, he seems to understand the core values of both the main character and the supporting ones.

For the most part this book has been solid. I think it could have been better but as a companion piece to ASM, it was good.

The final issue was a nice send off. Another reminder of why we love this character in the first place.

I hope Tom Taylor continues to write Spidey at some point in the future, he seems to understand the core values of both the main character and the supporting ones.
Awesome to hear! I'll be on a flight for the holidays so I plan to get a lot of reading and catching up then. But I would put it above solid. I remember there being a couple of below solid issues but I would buy this whole run in a trade if I could. Definitely satisfying. Art was nice, too.

I loved this title. It had some solid character work, everyone behaved as they rightfully would, and Peter wasn't a total idiot, which is a plus. Solid artwork, and the one with Spider-Bite should have been an Eisner nominee. It was beautiful.

I will miss it. Hopefully, they see the way and make ASM once monthly with ONE art/writing team, and give us Spectacular Spider-Man, with ONE art/writing team...One artist should be Gleason, and one should be Ottley.

I loved this title. It had some solid character work, everyone behaved as they rightfully would, and Peter wasn't a total idiot, which is a plus. Solid artwork, and the one with Spider-Bite should have been an Eisner nominee. It was beautiful.

I will miss it. Hopefully, they see the way and make ASM once monthly with ONE art/writing team, and give us Spectacular Spider-Man, with ONE art/writing team...One artist should be Gleason, and one should be Ottley.

You know, something else that occurred to me after reading this, is that now Zdarsky, Taylor and Slott have all written stories that feature Spider-Man letting a criminal go versus turning him into the police.

Yet there's a clear difference in the storytelling. Zdarsky and Taylor both show how letting the criminal go is an endorsement of Pete's morals. They use this event to showcase the humanity and compassion of Peter/Spider-Man.

But when you read Slott's version, he condemns Peter. He uses the event to punish Peter and turn him into either careless or inept.

When Zdarsky and Taylor see Spider-Man, they see a character worth celebrating and providing sound examples of his strength and fortitude.

When Slott sees Spider-Man, he sees someone that needs to be put down in a degrading fashion.

We need more writers like Taylor that truly understand what makes Spider-Man such a wonderful character and the reason we all care so much about him in the first place.

You know, something else that occurred to me after reading this, is that now Zdarsky, Taylor and Slott have all written stories that feature Spider-Man letting a criminal go versus turning him into the police.

Yet there's a clear difference in the storytelling. Zdarsky and Taylor both show how letting the criminal go is an endorsement of Pete's morals. They use this event to showcase the humanity and compassion of Peter/Spider-Man.

But when you read Slott's version, he condemns Peter. He uses the event to punish Peter and turn him into either careless or inept.

When Zdarsky and Taylor see Spider-Man, they see a character worth celebrating and providing sound examples of his strength and fortitude.

When Slott sees Spider-Man, he sees someone that needs to be put down in a degrading fashion.

We need more writers like Taylor that truly understand what makes Spider-Man such a wonderful character and the reason we all care so much about him in the first place.

THIS.
Peter isn't the Punisher or Batman. He sees the shades of grey. He sees where a kid may have a chance, and remembers that, had he continued down his original path, he may have become one himself. He knows his great power and great responsibility mantra, but he also lives it. He knows his responsibility is to help others, in whatever form that takes.

Just read the last issue of this last night. Loved it. Definitely thought Taylor tied up his run in a satisfying way, but more importantly, in an emotionally resonant way. I agree with everything you guys have been saying (shinlyle and UWH). The best Spider-Man stories are when they get Peter right, first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"