Comics The Superior Foes of Spider-Man

Thwip!

Sidekick
Reaction score
superiorfoesofspiderman_02.jpg

All-New, All-Different is used often at Marvel Comics, and "Superior" has become the new indication of a big change to an existing Marvel concept, at least as far as Spider-Man's corner of the universe is concerned. Now the Sinister Six gets superior with Superior Foes of Spider-Man, a new ongoing series by writer Nick Spencer and artist Steve Lieber.

The new Sinister Six in this story will feature Boomerang, Shocker Speed Demon, the Beetle, and Overdrive. Spencer told Marvel.com he chose "the working class guys" on purpose, and Boomerang will be the point-of-view character for much of the story, and he's the one in charge.

"It's Boomerang's gang, though obviously, these characters being who they are, that authority won't go unquestioned."

Spider-Man will of course be a part of the story, and the new Sinister Six will be able to tell that something is amiss with the web head.

"With the number of times Spidey's gone head to head with them, of course they're going to notice changes. In some ways, they know Spider-Man better than anyone," said Spencer.

The book won't just feature these villains in their costumes pulling off crimes, though; the plan is to explore the secret identities of the villains in a way usually reserved for heroes.

"A big part of this book is definitely showing you the life behind the costume. A lot of the time we spend with them, the masks are off. That was actually my pitch here: that these guys, they're actually a lot like Spider-Man, in the classic sense of the character," said Spencer. "They don't have the innate nobility or the desire to do the right thing, but they're hard-luck stories, just like Peter Parker is/was. They're not shooting for the stars so much as trying to survive. Every time they win in one part of their lives, they lose in another. So there's something intrinsically cool and intriguing about that mirror aspect of the relationship."

What do you guys think? I'm all for it. It's the first big reveal of Superior Spider-Man week. Sounds great and I wonder will they pick someone to fill in for the Living Brain in the Sinister Six

it just sounds like an updated and contemporary version of Deadly Foes of Spider-Man from years ago...

Sigh... I know I'm gonna buy this... I hope it does reasonably well... though I'd be surprised if it lasted 12 issues...

Though more importantly, it indicates (to me) that SpOck may be around as Spider-Man for a longer period than we initially thought... :wow:

:yay:

Though more importantly, it indicates (to me) that SpOck may be around as Spider-Man for a longer period than we initially thought... :wow:

That pleases me greatly :up: :otto:

The Teaser for Superior #9 indicates that OctoPeter will be around for a while as well.
This just confirmes it.

Also, does anyone else dislike that this team is called The Sinister Six?
I think they should stick with their origonal name as most of them come from that group:
The Sinister Syndicate...

The only reason I dislike the name is because, with Living Brain working for SpOck, there's technically only five of them :p

Sigh... I know I'm gonna buy this... I hope it does reasonably well... though I'd be surprised if it lasted 12 issues...

Aloha,
I kind of thought that Superior would be around until the next Amazing Spider-Man movie.I agree that this is an update to the deadly foes of spider-man with a little twist. They did a good job with character development of the Rhino, so this may not be too bad.
Spidey rules

I just saw this today. So awesome.....:up: :)

Attachments

• 1370892490.jpg
    1370892490.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 29
I like them being called the Sinister Six because Otto's reaction to it should be entertaining.

I wonder if this means that the changes in Boomerang by the Spider Slayer is only temporary...

When was this supposed to come out? I just saw #1 with an alternate cover up on ebay yesterday.

Aloha,
Just finished issue #1.
Very clever.Not familiar with the writer Nick Spencer. He has a good feel for Spider-Man-type humor.Could someone jar my memory regarding when did
Shocker become such a wimp?
This book ties in with Superior. I'll give it a chance.

Spidey rules

Last edited:
A newsarama.com review gave it a 10 of 10... :wow:

I've not picked mine up yet... :o

I really enjoyed it, the continuity is a biatch but it's great

A newsarama.com review gave it a 10 of 10... :wow:

I've not picked mine up yet... :o

Sweet, there's been some good buzz for this book. Just about everybody that's picked it up has had positive things to say. I hope it enjoys a nice long run. :woot:

I really enjoyed it, the continuity is a biatch but it's great

Aloha,
What continuity? I thought this was an Untold Tales of Spider-Man villans:o
Seriously, these guys call themselves the Sinister Six and acknowledge that there's only 5 accounted for presently.SpOck seems to be bringing back his old band, so whose #6?
When the wise cracking, pun filled one and only Peter Parker/Spider-Man returns, this guy Spencer should be part of the writing group.
Spidey rules

Aloha,
What continuity? I thought this was an Untold Tales of Spider-Man villans:o
Seriously, these guys call themselves the Sinister Six and acknowledge that there's only 5 accounted for presently.SpOck seems to be bringing back his old band, so whose #6?
When the wise cracking, pun filled one and only Peter Parker/Spider-Man returns, this guy Spencer should be part of the writing group.
Spidey rules

Living Brain was #6 but was captured

The presence of Chameleon kinda flies in the face of Superior Continuity

Living Brain was #6 but was captured

The presence of Chameleon kinda flies in the face of Superior Continuity

Aloha,
Yes it does.
I guess this is what they mean by Marvel NOW:wow:!
Spidey rules

The time frame to this book is not really specific
perhaps this take place before avenging Spider Man 20 & 21 or...
if my theory that spider ock is in fact the sixth member he could have planted the chameleon in Prison to help take over the gang

Also they would not be the superior foes unless they had a superior leader

Just my 2 cents

I just read the first issue this afternoon
It was fantastic

The time frame to this book is not really specific
perhaps this take place before avenging Spider Man 20 & 21 or...
if my theory that spider ock is in fact the sixth member he could have planted the chameleon in Prison to help take over the gang

Also they would not be the superior foes unless they had a superior leader

Just my 2 cents

Aloha,
Makes sense!Boomerang is far from being superior
Spidey rules

Just read this last night. The issue was absolutely hilarious!
I nearly died with the "outside the apartment / missing key" scene.

Speed Demon said he used to be The Wizzer...
Is that the Original Wizzer? Did Tge Twelve just get ruined as to who the traitor is...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"