Comics Amazing Spider-Man #595 - #599 "American Son" spoilers/discussion

That's not saying much.

This story felt like The Amazing Osborns, guest starring Spider-Man.

LOL I actually made a thread about that. Harry has so far become a more interesting character to me than Spider-man. He's allowed to change and move forward.

I haven't enjoyed most of the stories at the beginning of Brand new day, so I have to say that I'm starting to pull away from the Peter Parker persona, and I'm enjoying the "how Spider-man affects the world around him" aspect of the book. I'm just not interested in reading a false social life.

I'm just really not interested in Peter Parker anymore. That used to be my main draw to the title. :csad:

I've seen these debates before and file them in the "sometimes people think about this stuff too much" file. I know the artcle that your talking about (he actually wrote a book about comic physics stuff that I'm always thinking of picking up), but even though he might be 100% scientifically accurate, he still loses the debate (in my mind) because the intention of the writer always wins. Even if they wrote it wrong, it was their intention (validated by the letters page) that she was killed by the webbing.

I've seen these debates before and file them in the "sometimes people think about this stuff too much" file. I know the artcle that your talking about (he actually wrote a book about comic physics stuff that I'm always thinking of picking up), but even though he might be 100% scientifically accurate, he still loses the debate (in my mind) because the intention of the writer always wins. Even if they wrote it wrong, it was their intention (validated by the letters page) that she was killed by the webbing.

LOL I agree.
you'd never believe how slow the day was for me to read the entire article.

It was just a waste of time. Analyzing fiction that way.
I could see if it were the "psychology" of villians and certain characters.

I've seen that done for Batman and I think it's amazing. It definitely opened up the way I read those stories in a good way.

But Super power science? wow. :o

i haven't read any new spidey comics since one more day. and i don't really plan on it - but i AM interested in one thing: whats with the spidey in black suit standing with Norman and Harry?

Aloha,
Agreed. Now could someone tell me if Norman is disowning the twins from Gwen or just being N.O. scum of the earth or is Marvel trying to forget Sins Past like they did the Clone Saga for decades?
Spidey rules
I dont think Marvel is trying to forget Sins Past. It seems that Gabriel was in one of the test tubes in Avengers Tower, labeled as G. Stacy. So he will be a factor in a coming story, imo. Sarah and Gabriel failed Norman, so he disowned them, just the way he disowned Harry.

That's not saying much.

This story felt like The Amazing Osborns, guest starring Spider-Man.

The only thing in this story that seems to build toward #600 is the Doc Ock cameo in #597, and the wedding plans for Aunt May.

This was just another generic Norman being a manipulator story. Oh look, he screwed over Harry again. Oh look, Norman's spawning another Goblin son.

The only part worth noting was Harry disowning himself from Norman at the end. And I wonder will that even last. The rest was sub standard, and definitely didn't live up to the hype, IMO.

Agreed. None of the characters seemed very real to me. Normally the Osborns are some of the most interesting characters in the title, but here they just seemed like plot points. Harry and Lily were the most interesting ones, which was good. If Harry absolutely needed to be brought back, he might as well do something. This arc, he finally did. Lily is turning out well too. How much of her participation in Norman's scheme is of her own free will and how much is the Menace persona?

I havent been reading Dark Reign, so how did the Iron Patriot armor suddenly appear on Norman at the beginning of issue 599? In 598 he was just wearing his business suit. Does it appear on him at a command, like the American Son armor seemed to do on Harry?

Last edited:
i haven't read any new spidey comics since one more day. and i don't really plan on it - but i AM interested in one thing: whats with the spidey in black suit standing with Norman and Harry?

Norman Osborn has turned the thunderbolts into the avengers.
(Several villains posing as heroes)
Spidey takes out Macgargan Venom and puts on a costume that reed richards made. The costume changes shape so that the mouth will look like the symbiote and can reverse back to Spider-man. (since venom was posing as Spider-man.)

Peter sneaks into avengers tower as Venom.
and yeah, Norman wanted Harry to join his team of avengers as "American son". A duplicate of captain America. :yay:

Last edited:
I havent been reading Dark Reign, so how did the Iron Patriot armor suddenly appear on Norman at the beginning of issue 599? In 598 he was just wearing his business suit. Does it appear on him at a command, like the American Son armor seemed to do on Harry?

He summons the suit. He took Tony Stark's technology and combined it with his own. You should really read Dark Avengers!! :wow:

He summons the suit. He took Tony Stark's technology and combined it with his own. You should really read Dark Avengers!! :wow:
I dunno. I forced myself to buy Thunderbolts, even though I didnt care for it, all because Osborn was the leader and I constantly hoped he would go crazy. True, he finally did but it was a long, hard slog until then and after. I'm not crazy to read Dark Reign/Dark Avengers if its the same way. Its just hard to see Norman as a team player, when he was always going solo.

Well, that's what makes the Dark Avengers book pretty interesting. Norman is keeping the front to the team, and sometimes himself, that he can keep it together. Though in his alone time he's losing it little at a time.

I like it though sometimes I get a little too much Osborn oversaturation. I'm just hoping that he snaps, puts back on the Goblin costume, and he and Spidey go one on one again.

Got around to reading the last issue. What stood out to me was even after being shot, tortured for 24 hours and having his ribs broken, Pete didn't give up. He said, yep I'm about to die, but he didn't lay down and dream of girlfriends past, he never stopped. That's a considerable improvement.

LOL I didn't give the arc a 5/5 for nothin. ;)
The first part of Brand new day was terrible IMO.

This was a good Spidey story.
It's only down fall being that it was more of a Harry Osborn story.

Great character growth for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"