Comics Amazing Spider-Man #627 spoilers/discussion

stillanerd

Sidekick
Reaction score
Okay, here are my more in-depth thoughts about the first part of Roger Stern and Lee Week’s second Post-Brand New Day story:

*First of, Lee Week’s penciling is terrific. After so many issues of “indy artists” is nice to have artwork that’s a little more traditional. It’s incredibly detailed without cluttering up the panels, proving plenty of visual information without overwhelming the senses. There’s also some great sense of perspective and depth in the panels, providing Spidey with some dynamic and realistic looking poses and giving a sense of movement. Based on the artwork alone, this is terrific visual storytelling.

*Of course, part of this “traditional” feel to the issue also has to do with Roger Stern’s writing, using the stylistic approach used in older comics that “every issue is somebody’s first.” Through combination of a flashback segments highlighting Spidey’s past encounters with the unstoppable Juggernaut and usage of interior monologue, Stern brings the readers up-to-speed without making it feel too expository. Likewise, by getting into the heart of the mystery as to who could’ve defeated the Juggernaut, it allows for Stern to have Peter reflect and discern possible “suspects” while he’s going through his typical routine as a superhero and his day-to-day life as Peter. Sure, there are times where is “old school” approach can be a bit clunky, like when Spidey yells out the title of the arc after finding the unconscious Juggernaut in Central Park, but it one can’t argue Stern at least tries to get the most out of the opportunity comics present as a storytelling medium.

*Stern also has very good understanding of who Peter Parker is, as he comes off very well and in-character, and touches upon all the familiar tropes of the character from having to break off a date, being a photographer, his wisecracks, his leading an ordinary life as Peter, to his knack for utilizing his mind. This felt exactly how Peter should be, especially compared to the whiney, immature, self-centered, loser that past issues have tended to portray him as post-Brand New Day. And I must say, the identity of Juggernaut’s attacker, who is revealed in a climatic splash-page at the end of this issue, was certainly someone I didn’t expect. And yet, he’s a character who also harkens back to another “classic” period of Spider-Man, of sorts, and is certainly an inspired choice. Although, given recent developments with this particular character, I do have some concerns with how Stern will handle this.

*This leads me to say that this issue, as nicely plotted and well presented in terms of Peter/Spidey as a character are, is not without it’s problems. For one thing, after the Juggernaut is literally carted away by the police and between the time in which Spidey goes to where he’s being held, I couldn’t help but feel as though the issue may have been a little padded. Yeah, it’s nice to see Spidey save a woman from a mugger or go to the local Laundromat, but it slowed the pace of the story down when all you wanted was to get to the heart of the matter, which was who beat-up the Juggernaut, although to be fair, as I said before, Spidey is actively trying to figure it out through mostly interior monologue during these scenes. Also, while I get that he’s worried that he might have to fight whoever stopped the Juggernaut and how dangerous that could be, I never really got the sense that it was something Peter was obligated to investigate. After all, the fact that the Juggernaut, who I think is still a villain, was defeated and incarcerated would probably be one less bad guy for him to worry about, shouldn’t it?

*Another big weakness is Stern’s treatment of Carlie Cooper. Don’t get me wrong, she’s a nice character her occupation as a forensic pathologist makes her a unique informant for Spidey, but character-wise, I find her to be incredibly bland, and this issue doesn’t help sway my opinion. Rather than being depicted as unique character in this issue, Carlie comes of more like some generic “girlfriend of the week,” and given how past issues we’ve seen her become increasingly annoyed with Peter “flaking out” on her (as even the recap page reminds us) her being okay with Peter having to leave her in the lurch actually seems contrary to this development. Also, Stern commits a big “no-no” in fiction writing when he attempts via Peter’s interior monologue to convince us how special and ideal Carlie is for him without offering any real evidence in the story to back up these assertions. The only real contribution Carlie has in this story (other than unknowingly providing him with a convenient excuse for Peter to delay their date and making googley-eyes at him behind her literally rose-colored glasses) is to inform Peter where the Juggernaut is being held prisoner. If you have to “tell” your readers how great a character is instead of “showing” them, then something is really wrong.

*Finally, this issue really didn’t seem to be connected to the overall storyline of the “Gauntlet” whatsoever, except for a few throwaway lines about Peter’s unemployment situation and truce with his roommate, Michelle. Given that the date on Lee Week’s cover for this issue is dated “2008,” it’s safe to say that this story was supposed to have been published much earlier and that Stern had to make a few tweaks to keep it current. How else to explain Spidey calling Wong for Doctor Strange despite the fact Brother Voodoo is now the Sorcerer Supreme? Or that Peter, despite publicly blacklisted and out of work, is still allowed to take pictures and get away with saying he works for Frontline?

All in all, this was a pretty nice, old school issue. So far, it’s shaping up to be a slightly better-than-average tale. Not sure if it will be at the same caliber as a "sequel" to "Nothing Stops the Juggernaut," but we still have two more parts to go.

When I picked this book up and saw "Stern" as the writer on the cover I was like, "Wha?! The same Roger Stern that had an awesome run on ASM in the 80's and wrote Hobgoblin Returns?! IT IS! FANTABULOUS!!!" So, I'm pumped already. Then freakin' Lee Weeks is doing the artwork?! Insanity! Pure insanity! Gotta say I was kind of getting a nerd ***** at this point.

I don't know if anybody else has picked up on it but I really got a John Romita Jr. feel out of Lee Weeks' pencils in some spots. Maybe it was just me but I got it. That's definitely not a bad thing at all!!!

The story is pretty good so far. Nothing to rock my socks off but it's good to see The Juggernaut and Spidey cross paths again.

One of my cons, like you stillanerd, would be with the handling of Carlie Cooper. I'm wondering if Roger Stern missed a meeting or two in the Spidey brain trust. This is one of the pet peeves I've had with the weekly book and the consistency of the characterizations. Last issue Van Lente sort of fixed Peter and Michelle. Now Stern seems to have missed key characterization with Carlie. I mean she suddenly understands that Peter has a cluster headache and that it's ok for him to go? Many of the writers have handled this character rather well and made her into a pretty solid female character in Spidey's Brand New day world. Then, suddenly, she's all bowing down to Peter. The Carlie I have been reading would have been furious at Peter for cutting out on their date, maybe even thinking that Peter doesn't even want to try to have a relationship with her. Just odd. Especially after Slott has handled her.

Besides that it was overall pretty solid. Loved the Lee Weeks art. It was so great. I would really enjoy to see Lee Weeks, Marcos Martin, and Mike McKone as the steady rotating art team with this book for a while. How about forever?! Ha! A comic nerd can dream!

For one thing, after the Juggernaut is literally carted away by the police and between the time in which Spidey goes to where he’s being held, I couldn’t help but feel as though the issue may have been a little padded. Yeah, it’s nice to see Spidey save a woman from a mugger or go to the local Laundromat, but it slowed the pace of the story down when all you wanted was to get to the heart of the matter, which was who beat-up the Juggernaut, although to be fair, as I said before, Spidey is actively trying to figure it out through mostly interior monologue during these scenes.

I found the pacing of this issue enjoyable especially for a first part of a three issue arc. This is an iconic aspect of Spidey that for the most part I've missed (although Waid seems to nail it too), the uniqueness of Spidey's multitasking which boils down to saving others as he's preoccupied with introspection. It's part of the reason Stern is a master at writing Spidey, imho.

One of my cons, like you stillanerd, would be with the handling of Carlie Cooper. I'm wondering if Roger Stern missed a meeting or two in the Spidey brain trust. This is one of the pet peeves I've had with the weekly book and the consistency of the characterizations. Last issue Van Lente sort of fixed Peter and Michelle. Now Stern seems to have missed key characterization with Carlie. I mean she suddenly understands that Peter has a cluster headache and that it's ok for him to go? Many of the writers have handled this character rather well and made her into a pretty solid female character in Spidey's Brand New day world. Then, suddenly, she's all bowing down to Peter. The Carlie I have been reading would have been furious at Peter for cutting out on their date, maybe even thinking that Peter doesn't even want to try to have a relationship with her. Just odd. Especially after Slott has handled her.

Honestly, I found that response plausible especially after she told Peter off. It seems like she would turn her attitude around since it appears she really wants to get to know him. Human beings are a lot more complex, ya know?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"