American Society

Destructus86

Superhero
Reaction score
With all this talk about social issues lately (mass shootings, school violence, etc...) I think it would be a good time to start a thread about our society in general. The issues, the positives, everything.

I've always believed that an isolated, narccissist society cannot stand. Eventually it falls into a sort of chaos. Much of what we are seeing now, especially with the mass shootings are not the problems, they are symptoms of deeper social issues we are facing. So, what do we do? We try to cover up the problem with laws. But these issues we are facing cannot be hidden under a blanket of laws because it's not a political issue. It's an issue of who we are as a society.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2012/12/17/guns-mass-killings-worldwide/1776191/

Look at us...really look. We spend more time with our face in our cellphones texting and surfing the web than we do actually talking. WE've made men showing an emotion a stigma. Sure, we men socialize with our friends (if we have any) but we don't TALK. We try to avoid anything that makes us look vulnerable or "weak" as perceived by society. So, instead of talking we just blow our brains out because we can't take whatever stress we're dealing with at the time.

We're also a society that suffers from exteme self importance. Take a look at our society and you will see that nearly everything is designed to give us what we want, when we want it. We don't want to wait, we have no patience. We want it NOW. Why? Because we "DESERVE" it. And that self important, extreme narcissistic behaviour has been passed on to the next generation. (just look at any reality tv show for proof of that) The youth of today have become so self-entitled that when they don't get their way they get angry. Keep in mind that violence and narcissism are linked.

Going back to isolation, just take a look at the typical overworked, stressed out American family. We spend more time with our electronics and our jobs than we do actually parenting and then we're shocked when our kids become murderers.

I could go onto the lack of real change in the mental health field...but that's a whole 'nother thing. After all, if we are so screwed up as a society, how can we hope to deal with those worse off than us?

Last edited:
We don't want to wait, we have no patience. We want it NOW. Why? Because we "DESERVE" it. And that self important, extreme narcissistic behaviour has been passed on to the next generation.[/U]

Well, to be fair, the entire history of the human race can be summed up as this.

I'm not sure if I think we have necessarily gotten worse in this respect, but I do believe that this type of narcissistic mentality has become glorified in the media and through the internet and social media and instant information, we basically have given those types of people a better avenue of expression than they've ever had before.

But you're absolutely right - it is a terrible mentality and the cause of much of the negative aspects of society.

Eh, American society is definitely going through a lot of changes and such right now, but a lot of these issues I think you'll see throughout a lot of the "first world" countries, even some of the developing countries to some degree. It's just a time of change and shifting perceptions, things will even out in time.

My only real nagging issue with American culture that seems to continue on and on is how overexaggerated we tend to make everything.

Yeah, I'm kind of tired with people bashing modern society. Don't like modern society? Go back to the fifties, when everyone was racist, sexist and bigoted.

Modern society ain't great, but it's the best it's ever been.

We're also a society that suffers from exteme self importance. Take a look at our society and you will see that nearly everything is designed to give us what we want, when we want it. We don't want to wait, we have no patience. We want it NOW. Why? Because we "DESERVE" it. And that self important, extreme narcissistic behaviour has been passed on to the next generation. (just look at any reality tv show for proof of that) The youth of today have become so self-entitled that when they don't get their way they get angry. Keep in mind that violence and narcissism are linked.

He's putting U's in words they dont belong in! He's not really an American!!! GET HIM!!!!!!!!!!!!:cmad::cmad::cmad:

Nevermind, deleted my wall of text on this subject, lol.

Last edited:
It's going to be a slow churn, but I'm optimistic.

With all this talk about social issues lately (mass shootings, school violence, etc...) I think it would be a good time to start a thread about our society in general. The issues, the positives, everything.

I've always believed that an isolated, narccissist society cannot stand. Eventually it falls into a sort of chaos. Much of what we are seeing now, especially with the mass shootings are not the problems, they are symptoms of deeper social issues we are facing. So, what do we do? We try to cover up the problem with laws. But these issues we are facing cannot be hidden under a blanket of laws because it's not a political issue. It's an issue of who we are as a society.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2012/12/17/guns-mass-killings-worldwide/1776191/

Look at us...really look. We spend more time with our face in our cellphones texting and surfing the web than we do actually talking. WE've made men showing an emotion a stigma. Sure, we men socialize with our friends (if we have any) but we don't TALK. We try to avoid anything that makes us look vulnerable or "weak" as perceived by society. So, instead of talking we just blow our brains out because we can't take whatever stress we're dealing with at the time.

Going back to isolation, just take a look at the typical overworked, stressed out American family. We spend more time with our electronics and our jobs than we do actually parenting and then we're shocked when our kids become murderers.

I could go onto the lack of real change in the mental health field...but that's a whole 'nother thing. After all, if we are so screwed up as a society, how can we hope to deal with those worse off than us?
:up:

I can say this is the most reasonable post i have read all those years in here. But it is not only a matter of gun related laws. If it weren't guns there would still be all those problems we face.

The root of these problems is the majority of people not only in the US, but all over the world, that keeps watching brainless TV shows with anorexic celebrities, buys every month a new cellphone, a new pair of shoes, a new purse that some poor man has made for 2 dollars a day in a sweatshop in China. The little children that work as slaves and die in a mine in Africa, so we the "civilized" world can wear shiny jewellery and diamond rings out of stupid vanity and ego, and the thousands of animals that are brutally murdered in slaughter farms to fill our guts with rotten flesh.

So clearly there are a lot things that contribute to the downfall of society. It's not one thing over another. We should start making changes like those i mentioned above. Then we can hope for a better tomorrow.

Might be a irony statement, but hit the nail on the head there, or however that saying goes.

I'm a loner. Not a people's person. I like watching tv and listening to music, and reading books, etc Why? I tell you why, cause I don't want to get hurt by people or get my feelings stepped on. In fact, there's a good article that deals with why some men (like me) kinda don't like women rejecting us, cause that is how society raises us. Why, I hate the word 'No'. I hate rejection so much. I rather be alone and sink into depression or risk depression, than risk rejection. I rather bury myself in finding a job and other things to be honest.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19785_5-ways-modern-men-are-trained-to-hate-women.html

^ 5 Ways Modern Men Are Trained to Hate Women. It's a Cracked.com article. Do I feel the article is accurate? Hmmm...to me, yea, but I'm not exactly good when it comes to dating. So what do I know?

Oh, and another thing. Some men may not want to seek mental help, cause they (me) may think I need to hide that from dates and/or employers. When we shouldn't have to hide it, but this society labels us crazy. And then we feel like we can't even ''try'' to find love and be happy, cause if we were to let our partner know, they may leave us. And then men blow their ****ing brains out. Or worse, they self-injury themselves and that is a terrible coping mech. Truly terrible. It becomes addicting and a hard cycle to break.

:up:

I can say this is the most reasonable post i have read all those years in here. But it is not only a matter of gun related laws. If it weren't guns there would still be all those problems we face.

The root of these problems is the majority of people not only in the US, but all over the world, that keeps watching brainless TV shows with anorexic celebrities, buys every month a new cellphone, a new pair of shoes, a new purse that some poor man has made for 2 dollars a day in a sweatshop in China. The little children that work as slaves and die in a mine in Africa, so we the "civilized" world can wear shiny jewellery and diamond rings out of stupid vanity and ego, and the thousands of animals that are brutally murdered in slaughter farms to fill our guts with rotten flesh.

So clearly there are a lot things that contribute to the downfall of society. It's not one thing over another. We should start making changes like those i mentioned above. Then we can hope for a better tomorrow.

Do you think Brainless tv shows is tv in general or just reality tv shows, that are sometimes scripted?

Might be a irony statement, but hit the nail on the head there, or however that saying goes.

I'm a loner. Not a people's person. I like watching tv and listening to music, and reading books, etc Why? I tell you why, cause I don't want to get hurt by people or get my feelings stepped on. In fact, there's a good article that deals with why some men (like me) kinda don't like women rejecting us, cause that is how society raises us. Why, I hate the word 'No'. I hate rejection so much. I rather be alone and sink into depression or risk depression, than risk rejection. I rather bury myself in finding a job and other things to be honest.

http://www.cracked.com/article_19785_5-ways-modern-men-are-trained-to-hate-women.html

^ 5 Ways Modern Men Are Trained to Hate Women. It's a Cracked.com article. Do I feel the article is accurate? Hmmm...to me, yea, but I'm not exactly good when it comes to dating. So what do I know?

Oh, and another thing. Some men may not want to seek mental help, cause they (me) may think I need to hide that from dates and/or employers. When we shouldn't have to hide it, but this society labels us crazy. And then we feel like we can't even ''try'' to find love and be happy, cause if we were to let our partner know, they may leave us. And then men blow their ****ing brains out. Or worse, they self-injury themselves and that is a terrible coping mech. Truly terrible. It becomes addicting and a hard cycle to break.

Do you think Brainless tv shows is tv in general or just reality tv shows, that are sometimes scripted?

Almost everything that is related with TV in general. Because it is a tool of the establishment to brainwash the people with a way or another. Even a thought provoking show will focus on a particular problem and refuse to acknowledge the root of society's suffering. Ex. accusing one political party over another, or misleading public opinion etc. Actually the reason people were so obsessed with TV was becauce the Internet didn't exist yet.

American Society will continue to watch no talent hacks like the Kardashians or Honey Boo Boo, which may lead to many foreigners asking:

Why do ya'll watch this crap?

American Society will continue to watch no talent hacks like the Kardashians or Honey Boo Boo, which may lead to many foreigners asking:

Why do ya'll watch this crap?

Because they haven't grasp the concept that there are higher values in society and more important things to consider. It's sad but true..

My Dad watches a lot of CBS shows, Shark Tank on ABC, and lots of that E! Reality crap.

He was crying at end of one of those Kardashian shows...

-_-....

How does your dad feel about Adventure Time, ETM?

Along the lines of things wrong with American society, do you guys think Americans need to be right way too much? With politics and even on these boards, it's so damn polarized even as the arguments start to break down, no one seems to want to give anything to their 'opposition.' Are we too obsessed with winning?

Along the lines of things wrong with American society, do you guys think Americans need to be right way too much? With politics and even on these boards, it's so damn polarized even as the arguments start to break down, no one seems to want to give anything to their 'opposition.' Are we too obsessed with winning?

One day, I hope to see the Libertarian Party rise...and win...that way I can travel to GOP offices and say to them '':cmad: HA ''. Then leave. :o:o:o

would be nice if libertarians replaced republicans

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"